PDA

View Full Version : First Business Trip as Jacqueline

Shareecd
02-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Hi Everyone!
So I thought I would document what happened on my first triphoping may help others when they take the first trip after transitioning to full time, or come to think of it when they want to travel as themselves. Sorry it is so long.

I am on my first trip since I transitioned. It is a really surreal feeling to be doing this. I want to capture several feelings / experiences I have had while they we still in my mind. First I went to the kiosk at the Delta counter and it told me it could not check me inI had to go to the ticket counter. So I did with my bag to be checked in tow and everything went really well. Bag wa checked to Ft Myers I was on my way, Te next hurdles to get through security, As I walked the distance to the “A” gates security I started to feel really overwhelmed. I mean here I was 4 months post op of my FFS and struttin my stuff to e examined and scrutinized by the identity chiefs. So as I rounded the corner I took a deep breath and said Jacqui Lets just see what this adventure will bring you today. I guess you could have said I had temporary insanity since I was talking to my self. Anyway I handed the tall gentlemen my ticket and new Drivers license and he looked me over up and down and smiled then said think you. I have come to accept I do not look as feminine as I wished I was but that is OK. Ten I got to the scanners. Despite the first TSA guy making me everyone treated me and spoke to me as Maam and thank you. So I passed the test with flying colors and was on to the gate. I had picked out my clothes the night before with Marti and didn’t waiver when I got dressed this morning. As I was standing there at the gate I realized the blouse I wore was a little tight for my new boobs. I love my new boobs. Anyway I noticed several men watching me and couldn’t tell if they were making me or what. I decided to take a seat and just be a passenger like everyone else. I remember traveling last spring and thinking about how it would feel to be traveling as Jacqueline. In Atlanta, I had a short time to get to the next gate. So I walked the distance since it was all in the same concourse. When I reached my gate I noticed that no one was looking at me. No one seemed to be aware or care that I was trans. So I stood there with the other travelers absorbing every second of just how comfortable I was being me. These past several days (couple of weeks actually) my transition has taken on a new phase. There are probably a lot of other trans women who have experienced this but I wanted to share it with you. Has anyone else felt this way? I think I am finally beginning to understand, appreciate, and truly experience what it is to be me…….Jacqui.
Stay tuned I have the return trip home. But I fly through Miami and don’t expect any problems. Also I am meeting two Engineers from my customer this week while here in Florida. First time face to face with the customer. They knew me when I was @#@$ and are having a difficult time with my changes. So as we are being asked put up our “electronic devices,” I am trying to remember the catchy sayings I have on the fridge at home about Courage. Maybe if I just telling myself. I AM COURAGEOUS, I AM COURAGEOUS, I AM COURAGEOUS…….
So the trip was success I was able to discuss a possible meeting face to face with my customer at their facility. To back up a few since I transitioned at work my company has been reserved about me traveling to my customer’s facility due to the lack training and my safety. So it appears that I am able to travel once their upper management brings someone in to train them how with work one on one with a trans person. It is odd but when I was explaining it to my customer Rep in Florida it was just a matter of common sense and the usual respectful proto call. Regardless they feel they need more exposure to feel comfortable with the Trans Woman coming on site.
So the Trip home I did it on Saturday morning. I was kind of surprised during my trip because, it seemed more people took a second look at me in Florida than where I live in Indiana. Not sure why that is. Anyway I was up at 4 AM shower, make-up, getting my stuff packed and off to the airport for my 7:30 flight. I am always excited when I return home from a trip. When I got there it was very busy and I checked the kiosk again and no problems checking in. I went to security and the person there had me go through the scanner. Since I still wear “extra hair” till mine grows out, I showed something. The TSA person said wait a minute sweetie and then patted my hair down. That was it I was off!!! During the lay over in Atlanta I had to use the train between terminals this time. I caught several women veering around other passenger and checking me out. Now I am thinking they we looking at how well I was dressed, I am confident it wasn’t because they made me. Oh Well if they did. I am me and it shows that if you too transition and begin living your life authentically that the sky’s the limit so to speak. One word of caution, always be aware that safety is the paramount concern.
I found that being female can lend itself to our not being as safe as we once were when we were that “other person”. So make sure you are always in a safe place and in safe company.
That’s it travel safely. Oh yeah left out I had a wreck while there. But that is another story….
Jacqui

Franki Kate
02-26-2012, 10:11 AM
What a wonderful story. Thank you so much for sharing.

Kaitlyn Michele
02-26-2012, 10:16 AM
:drink:

Thanks for sharing...i know exactly how you felt!!

Julia_in_Pa
02-26-2012, 10:21 AM
Yay!! Congrat's on a successful journey on all counts!

I hope that wreck wasn't too bad.

Julia

Jonianne
02-26-2012, 12:16 PM
That's great, Jacqui! Congratulations!

Kristy_K
02-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Congratulations Jacqueline, The first one is also the scariest for sure. My first trip was to a foreign country and I was nervous.

Kristy