PDA

View Full Version : Walk, dear walk

Inna
02-27-2012, 10:49 AM
OK, I am writing in the Crossdressing section especially because I have by now been hanging out in the TG circles for enough time and observed lots of crossdressing girls do it, and quite frankly, they don't do it well!

We all yearn to pass, and make an extreme effort in makeup, clothing, garments, shoes, natural looking wigs and jewelery even GG would be jealous of. But.........as far as I could tell, knowing about 50-60 girls, non of them walk like a woman!

I mean NONE, so as a helpful hint girls, the best way to get the girl on, and walk softly and somewhat seductively is to shoot a Video of your own walk, then analyze the strut and apply small changes to see how they improve the dancing flowing movements of female hip.

I have done the same, and NO it didn't happen over night, but with perseverance and want you will get "the walk" you need to pass.

There are lots of hints to practice and I wondered if it would be a good idea to shoot a vid to help, anyway, the important is to get the art of sensuality feel natural and effortless, otherwise, we are just guys wearing dresses :)

But then these are my own observations and as usual, I reserve the right to be wrong on any subject I dwell on, and I dwell on a lot! :p

Amy Lynn3
02-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Inna, I think you are spot on with your advise. Any person should take your advise, if we don't I can see people looking at us as just a man in a dress.

PS: Inna, I lived in Largo years ago and would go over to the beach at St Pete.

JessHaust
02-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Even better is to have real GG's , in my case my wife and adult daughters, watch and coach. Their comments hold more weight than our own opinions.
But some fundamentals help. Women walk with one foot almost in from of the other, not wide feet apart like men. This alone will get you 60% of the way there.
There are lots of places in the internet for instruction.

TxKimberly
02-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Ehhh . . . my wife would (and has) laughed herself sick at the thought of trying to "walk like a woman". Just like men, women come in all shapes and sizes, and no two look or walk alike. You would probably get hurt if you tried to convince my wife that she was supposed to sway her hips from side to side and place one foot directly in front of the other, etc, etc.
So are we talking about "walking like a woman" or "walking like a model"? :D

Kate Simmons
02-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Well Inna, what I have found (and confirmed by video) is that learning to dance like a woman definately helps with walking like one. In fact it's kind of like the training given to the Karate Kid. You don't think twice about it and it comes naturally. Works for me Hon.;):battingeyelashes::)

Kathy Smith
You're right there, Kimberly. I'm afraid that my wife has the most unladylike walk you can imagine!

I've tried the ladylike walk, with a little success. It's a lot easier when "tucked". It helps concentrate the mind (and keep the "bits" out of the way). I can't manage the "catwalk" walk - that's a bit too extreme and probably comes with a big sign saying "Crossdresser Here"!

No,I'm not really penguin-shaped!

Danille
Great advice Inna and Jess, I'm sure it will help us all out. D.

Stephanie47
02-27-2012, 12:12 PM
I've watched some of the instructional videos on YouTube and other sites. I practice in front of a full length mirror. Practicing at home seems to work OK. However, outside the home I think we have the tendency to walk like a man, i.e., walk too fast. My wife grabs my arm many times and tells me to slow down because she has heels on. The girls I see on the street wearing athletic shoes seem to walk a LOT faster than when wearing heels. Sometimes I think I would present a more feminine walk, if I wore one of those pregnancy suits. Then we would "waddle like a duck", so I must be a duck.

Beverley Sims
02-27-2012, 12:19 PM
I walk the walk in both modes.
Not too extreme but I am a supporter of the video for all sorts of situations.
It gets better each day... I think.
The advice is sound, but even women have a difficult time explaining how ONE should walk.
No long strides, and feet close together, not necessarily the catwalk walk.

Miranda-E
02-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Women don't even walk how men think women walk.

RADER
02-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Ehhh . . . . place one foot directly in front of the other, etc, etc.
:D

You walk like that very carefully when your on an I beam about 10 stories up. LOL
Rader

Inna
02-27-2012, 01:41 PM
OK I see the trend here, and as a former crossdresser I suppose I was kind of taking this similarly as some do here. Saying that my wife or some women do walk Nothing like a typical Catwalk dehydrated, anorexic skeletons of a feminine image manufactured by Fashio houses of Le Du Parie :)

Yes you are absolutely right, but where you are wrong is that all women (not including any manly tractor operators of eastern European countryside) do walk like women and man do walk like man!

It is our hips and whats between them that differ our abilities, however, we CAN master the walk, which by the way, shall be your own and not the fashionable Catwalk walk!

A lot of factors do come into play, and as an avid accomplished snow skier, I can tell, it isn't easy to get them all fluidly native at once.

Hip displacement all together with hip ligament looseness, position of hip center line as suppose to spine, speed of walk, leg separation, placement of foot on forward leg, upper torso movement, they all come together into one cohesive fluid soft sensual walk which looks effortless, and you know what, It Is Effortless when mastered! Just like the dance which at one time was complicated, now looks and feels effortless to the dancer who mastered it!

NicoleScott
02-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Yes, it's a good idea to video yourself. I thought my walk was "femme enough" until I saw my video.
Lots of people in a wide variety of areas use videos for improvement: public speaking, baseball bat swing or pitching motion, basketball shots, etc. etc.
Why not crossressers?

Sally24
02-27-2012, 02:07 PM
....its kind of like the training given to the Karate Kid.

Like "wax on....wax off"?:devil:

I find it true that many girls spend there money but not their time. I think I do well except going UP stairs. Still working on that. My wife and daughter both say that I don't walk like a man so I guess I'm doing alright. I find the right shoes are critical. If they are too high or too loose you get jerky movements and can't get a flowing stride. I find the trying to make your thighs touch tip to help me a lot. Wearing a swishy dress or skirt when practicing can help too.

HannahF6
02-27-2012, 02:07 PM
I showed this link some time ago and I do feel it is very useful. It is an analysis of the human gait following observations of a very large number of people. Yes, there is a continuous regime between the male walk and the female walk. There are men because of their body shape who naturally develop a rather feminine gait, and there are women who have a masculine gait. I know one young woman who most certainly IS a woman, likes to wear pretty skirts to work, but always looks like a guy in drag. She has just had a baby and so most certainly is not a guy a in drag.

I've found this little demonstration to be extremely useful in highlighting the differences in gait:-
http://www.biomotionlab.ca/Demos/BMLwalker.html

Hannah

Kate17
02-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Inna- you are right on. It is usually very enlightening to watch your self walk. Not mentioned was another important part of "the walk " - what you do with your arms. Men tend to carry their arms with the elbo's out and swing, womens elbo' s generally are closer to the body. If they do swing their arms, it is typically more vertical. I feel lile I have to exaggerate that movement to get it right. I always think of the old movies where they are teaching the young girls "deportment" - they walk around with a book on their head. Try it sometime girls - it may help. It keeps you body arms etc from swinging and you become much lighter on the foot. Of course, a few drinks and everything goes out the window.

Lorileah
02-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Someday I want to be in a room full of cross dressers who are practicing to walk like a woman. This comes up over and over again and I still wonder how many actually go top a public place and WATCH women walk. What you all are after is a parody. Very few women sway their hips unless a) they are trying to attract attention or b) their heels are real high.

Go to the mall buy a pretzel and a slurpree and watch how men and women walk. Most the time you won't tell the difference except women don't typically stomp. There are things that tend to "out" you in public and one is the Mae west shift pop, shift pop of the hips.

look up a few posts. A very wise and veteran (in two ways) member who has flown all over the country "Pretty" and has been admired by many people knows what she is saying.

BillieJoEllen
02-27-2012, 02:32 PM
When I used to go out I made it a point to practice my walk before. I often used a treadmill. I certainly did not want an exaggerated femme walk nor did I want to walk like a man. I purposely walked with my feet closer together and didn't take such long strides. On tape I had what I thought was a convincing walk. It was everything else that screamed MAN!

ReineD
02-27-2012, 02:41 PM
This was developed by BioMotionLab. Click on the "Lines" radio button at the bottom to see the walk better.

The first slider is between male and female, and the other sliders reflect different moods in the walk (happy/sad, etc).

A word of caution: please, do not walk like the example with the top slider bar moved all the way to the right. You will be read as a CDer for sure if you do! lol

Most women walk with the slider in the middle position or slightly to the right. :)

http://www.biomotionlab.ca/Demos/BMLwalker.html

Edit Ooops, just noticed that Hannah has already posted the link, but my cautionary words still apply. :)

busker
02-27-2012, 03:05 PM
The biomotion is interesting but with all the dots in motion they are a bit distracting BUT watching 2 dots is VERY instructive. For example, watch the head dot and there is quite a bit of difference during a cycle, men seem to swing back and forth while women hold steady generally. The 2 feet dots on women seem to move up and out creating a kind of circle, and watch the elbows which really seem to influence walking motion. THanks for the video. It IS instructive.

Inna
02-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Biomotionlab animation is a fantastic way to illustrate THE major Difference!!!!

See how upper body movement while hip is rigid in MALE transfers along the spine down to Upper body stillness while hip bones travel in Vertical and horizontal motion.

That is IT!

Exaggeration of movements is Goooooood, that is how we learn everything, down to the simplest non gender skills, slowly over time those become less exaggerated and natural.
I think, what most refers here to exaggerated, is the comical Wrong representation of feminine walk interpreted by totally clueless crossdresser, and believe me, I have seen it done!

Miriam-J
02-27-2012, 06:13 PM
I've always told my wife that the reason I open doors for her is so I can watch her walk in front of me ;-)
I guess I'm definitely not gay, because I've never watched a guy walk by and compared. Might have to do that just to test the hypotheses I've seen in this thread. I'm very curious now.

Miriam

Badtranny
02-27-2012, 07:02 PM
In fairness to Inna, she isn't really talking about "walking like a woman", she's actually talking about NOT walking like a man. It's true that all women comport themselves differently and that many CD's end up doing what amounts to a parody of a woman's walk, when really they need to focus on negating those distinctly male characteristics.

One thing that I learned accidentally while correcting my posture is that I used to lead with my head. I would walk leaned slightly forward as if fighting a strong head wind and have my shoulders rolled forward and in motion counter to each step. This may be great for pushing through crowds but it is decidedly not very graceful looking.

Women have a tendency towards much better posture and they lead with their torso or chest instead of their heads. There are exceptions of course but by and large, men are charging, and women are sauntering. Your walk will improve exponentially if you pull your shoulders back, (like you're trying to squeeze your shoulder blades together) and stop looking at your own feet. Look up and ahead or around you, but not at the ground in front of you. It helps to have some grace, but not everybody does. These two tips will straighten you up and slow you down. You'll look better as a man too.

Inna
02-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Hey Melissa, You know it girl! Besides straightening up your posture and driving hips forward, women have, by nature, much looser hips then man do. As Crossdressers we tend to stiffen up even more so, that is a natural reaction when faced with scrutiny and onlooking crowd, weather thinking consciously or not we tense! So the best exercise as a first step to soft flowing walk is relaxation and allowing the muscles to weaken the grasp.

Lyric
02-27-2012, 07:55 PM
I'm loving the Bio-motionLab simulation. It clearly shows the difference that we most need to keep in mind: men tend to walk from the shoulders while women walk from the hips. Certainly most women vary from any walking stereotype to a degree I think there's a basic consistency, though.

One thing that I've found is that when you're wearing high heels you pretty much have to walk more femininely. If you don't take short steps and put one foot before the other you'll fall over.

Lyric

RenneB
02-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Girls this is a great topic and I'm really glad for all of the input and discussion. I've used a lot of what y'all been sayin'. I've done the kitchen chairs thing to the watching the videos and it's all a lot of work. After all of the practice in the house and the various hip things, I must say that the best thing is to go out and walk the walk. After 6 months of walking everyday in 4" heels for 'bout 4 hours a day, I've gotten to where I'm confident, mind you not perfect, not nearly so, but confident.

It's shoulder's back and down, head up, loosen the hips, let the knees touch - kindof, one foot in front of the other, don't look down, watch out for that crack in the sidewalk, don't slip, and above all ..... look natural... LOL...

Here's a video that I've found to be worth the watch. It's one of the few times, you can stare at a woman walking and not have to worry...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8Veye-N0A4

Renne......

Badtranny
02-27-2012, 10:03 PM
The problem with watching that Bio-motion dealio is it doesn't address the most significant issue for men. Physiology. There is very little we can do to change how our bodies move in relation to our skeleton. I think every CD would do well to not try so hard with the hip swivel. It's a mental trap, similar to over doing makeup. The best thing you can do for your presentation is learn to relax and be comfortable in your skin. The walk along with your movements in general will progress at the same rate your confidence does.

Eryn
02-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Pay attention to Michael Caine :)

9db4o8c5X0I

In looking at the biomotion simulation two things jump out at me. One is elbow and hand placement. Men keep their elbows out and hands in, while women tend to pull their elbows in and allow their hands to move outward, likely to clear the hips. It's subtle, only a couple of inches, but if you practice switching back and forth the difference is evident. Pulling the elbows in also causes the shoulders to move backwards and the upper body to be more erect.

Women also tend to move their feet more toward the centerline than men. You don't want to "walk the line" unless you're on a Paris runway, but moving your foot placement an inch or so closer to the centerline causes subtle changes to hip movement and makes the walk more feminine.

My problem isn't walking like a woman, it's walking like a 6'2" woman with narrow hips. For me, a good walk seems to be a lot more dependent upon posture and stride length than in hip motion. Chin up, shoulders back, shorter steps, let the hips flow a bit more, but not enough to be silly.

Inna
02-28-2012, 12:37 AM
Wow, I am so glad I have started this debacle :) Renne had found yet another fantastic vid illustrating how Hips take presence over the rest of the body, notice her torso is sort of dragged by the hips leading the way. Another fact is that not a single woman sways her butt which is a common misconception imitated by crossdressers. The sway which looks like sway, is really the planted leg reacting with upward movement in the hip joint and since ligaments are relaxed such upward movement elevates given hip upward driving the opposing side downwards but since the girl is moving forward such movement is translated into a twisting motion visible as butt sway, which it isn't!

Observe and learn!!! fantastic vid, Renne!!!!!!

ReineD
02-28-2012, 12:40 AM
The problem with watching that Bio-motion dealio is it doesn't address the most significant issue for men. Physiology. There is very little we can do to change how our bodies move in relation to our skeleton. I think every CD would do well to not try so hard with the hip swivel. It's a mental trap, similar to over doing makeup. The best thing you can do for your presentation is learn to relax and be comfortable in your skin. The walk along with your movements in general will progress at the same rate your confidence does.

Well, the BioMotion animation is useful in showing how NOT to walk (with the slider all the way to the right), and instead aim for something closer to the middle? :)

noeleena
02-28-2012, 05:24 AM
Hi,

I think you have to be carefull here, as the words , are to walk like a female or woman.. there is a difference & age allso. i see many 1000 of women with in our groups & most have thier own gait or style of how they walk. very few are the same, even thier body shape size & height, & what clothes they are wearing,

im a woman & i have my own style & gait, & its not based on male never was any way. or female for that matter,
The ? you could ask is , is it male or female or woman or some of both or none of, just how we develope our own unique way of walk & do we all look the same .....no & nore is how we walk. all women do not walk the same,

so then who are we to copy,or should we, as a friend said to me its about losening up. abit dont be stiff & millitry syle,

The other point is shoes , are they heels court flates boots sneakers or Fred Dagg gumboots,
Now then will you walk in them exaclly the same way each time,dought it,

...noeleena...

catriona36
02-28-2012, 06:21 AM
I remember as a kid, when i would go shopping with my mum, she would always say "your not walking right, it's one foot in front of the other, you walk like a truckie"... funny i did grow up to be a truckie. i walked the way i did cos im a guy. Now im playing both, i do tend at times to walk as best i can, the way she used to tell me to, but since i never leave the house dressed i dont walk far dressed so it dont matter lol

daviolin
02-28-2012, 09:12 AM
I have also used a video to practice my walk. It does work. I find if I can feel my upper portion of my legs rubbing together, I'm in good shape. And with each step a little drop in the hip, gives a nice simple sway. This the best I can explane myself. Daviolin

Inna
02-28-2012, 03:11 PM
A great way to really get the groove on is to go for a walk in your flattest shoes and in drab, and slowly stride and work on relaxing your hips so that each step you feel your body traveling up and down in the pelvis area. Keeping legs together or not at this point of time, is not important, and if you will start loosening up and allow hips to flex quite a bit the circular motion of one leg in front of the other is going to become a necessary ingredient for keeping center of gravity underneath. Believe it or not GGs do it not because it looks good but because it is a physiological function!!!!

kimdl93
02-28-2012, 03:47 PM
I try, and practice, practice practice. I have a bit of an advantage because as a younger person I would occassionaly get teased for walking like a girl.

Phylis Nicole Schuyler
02-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Thanks Inna. Between you and Nicole, I might just get the feminine walk and mannerisms somewhat down.

ReineD
02-28-2012, 05:38 PM
she would always say "your not walking right, it's one foot in front of the other, you walk like a truckie"...

That's a good point. Not all guys walk like apes. Maybe not everyone needs to alter their walk. :)

Sally24
02-28-2012, 07:08 PM
I think the biggest thing is to learn to NOT walk like a stereotypical man. If you can show some flow and grace, then all to the good.

busker
02-28-2012, 07:47 PM
I think the biggest thing is to learn to NOT walk like a stereotypical man. If you can show some flow and grace, then all to the good.

try this video for a really clear view of flo and grace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nrg1picBXpY

suchacutie
02-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Sometimes it seems we have the cart before the horse in this discussion. The swaying of hips is not the cause of the "feminine walk", it is the result. Put on some 4 inch heels (or higher ) and it's immediately clear that each step is initiated by the upper thigh, and that changes the entire gait. It truly is almost like dancing. How much the hips sway is a function of the agressiveness of the step. It can be exaggerated, of course, but the sway is not the criterion by which the walk is measured, but by the way the leg is used and the placement and size of each step.

A feminine walk is fluid and really a work of art. It should fit with the rest of the presentation, and with that I agree very much with the original post.

tina

linda allen
02-29-2012, 08:33 AM
Ehhh . . . my wife would (and has) laughed herself sick at the thought of trying to "walk like a woman". Just like men, women come in all shapes and sizes, and no two look or walk alike. You would probably get hurt if you tried to convince my wife that she was supposed to sway her hips from side to side and place one foot directly in front of the other, etc, etc.
So are we talking about "walking like a woman" or "walking like a model"? :D

Yep, my wife doesn't "walk like a woman" either. She walks just fine though. I dated a woman for a year or so who walked like a construction worker. They are all different. I used to have one working with me who had that "sexy" walk. I used to send her to get things just so I could watch her from behind! (I know, shame on me!)

JenniferR771
02-29-2012, 12:01 PM
And remember, head up, shoulders back and you are proud, "knockers up", this will help with your deportment. Don't swing your shoulders to increase your stride, like a man. Glide serenely, with your shoulders lifting those pretty bra straps. An enigmatic smile helps.
Think Mona Lisa.

Lorileah
02-29-2012, 12:36 PM
And remember, head up, shoulders back and you are proud, "knockers up", this will help with your deportment. Don't swing your shoulders to increase your stride, like a man. Glide serenely, with your shoulders lifting those pretty bra straps. An enigmatic smile helps.
Think Mona Lisa.

Toes first, heels flat, knees turned in, small steps, stroll don't walk, saunter don't stroll, glide don't saunter, don't stare at your feet, throw your hips, sashay, step... bump, step... bump, 5 6 7 8 hands palm down, wrists at your hips, elbows in, wiggle. When you stop make sure you push one hip out.

Now pick yourself up off the floor and just walk.

ReineD
02-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Everyone's heads bob when they walk.

Some men have the shoulder motion when they walk and some don't. Some women's hips sway and some don't. Men's tooshies sway when they walk too! :)

Honestly I couldn't tell a huge difference between most women and men's walks. Or, is it just me? :)

AKPWuShurJY

ldnLxTablA8

kimdl93
02-29-2012, 04:12 PM
I spent some time at the mall a couple days ago, and was struck by there are so many different gaits. I mentioned that I was kidded for walking like a girl when I was younger (teens) and recall in particular that a female clerk at a grocery thought I "glided" when I walked. At the time I was embarrassed by anything I did that was considered the least bit feminine, so I practiced walking like a man. How Ironic is that!

ReineD
02-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Kim, a while back I tried to walk "like a guy". OMG, my walk was so stereotypically apish, it was laughable. My SO and I were in a crowded area while we were walking along doing this, and I'm sure I gave a lot of people cause to smile.

Jonianne
02-29-2012, 05:28 PM
I think the best vidio clip of how to not walk like a guy, is in the scene in "Seinfield" where George Costanza was wearing medieval costume, tunic with tights. I tried to find it, to post it, but was unable to.

I'm sure that is how I look and walk!

Persephone
03-01-2012, 01:13 AM
One is elbow and hand placement. Men keep their elbows out and hands in, while women tend to pull their elbows in and allow their hands to move outward, likely to clear the hips. It's subtle, only a couple of inches, but if you practice switching back and forth the difference is evident. Pulling the elbows in also causes the shoulders to move backwards and the upper body to be more erect.

Good points, Eryn, and a fun clip too! Kate17 mentioned a very important thing related to elbow position, men tend to keep their elbow bend oriented inward, the crease turned toward their body, bone end out. Women tend to keep their elbows turned foreward, crease to the front, bone toward the back. That change and relaxing your arm and shoulder muscles allows your arms and hands to swing in a much more feminine manner and, I believe, makes a big change in how your entire body moves when walking. Keeping your arms in that rotation can be learned through regular practice when you walk.

In addition to arm movement, it seems that a number of people dismiss their possibility of ever learning to walk in a feminine manner by simply saying that it is all due to women's broader hips. I'm not convinced. We've all seen narrow hipped women who still move in feminine manner, so if they caan do it we can too!

In addition to keeping your thighs together, I believe that a more natural feminine walk can occur if you do two things. First, walk from the inside of your foot, like skating, as you walk you roll your foot towards the outside; this will cause you to slightly shift your balance just a bit from side to side. Secondly, feel your thighs just below where they join (tucking helps!) moving slightly up and down against each other as your balance shifts from one foot to the other.

That's it! If you've got your arms relaxed and pivoted, your thighs together, your feet rolling, and your legs sliding along each other I'm willing to bet you are walking beautifully!

Hugs,
Persephone.

catriona36
03-01-2012, 05:42 AM
I am just a mess when i walk. A small limp (back and knees not the best) . left foot hangs out to the left (tore ligaments in the ankle) left arm just tends to hang as the right arm tends to swing ( not sure why tho have lost a lot of strength on left side)

What i have come to notice when in heels is, my left foot tends to be straight (maybe i sub conciously straighten as not to fall a$$ up), the limp is gone but the arm stays the same, (yet walking throught the house short distances i dont notice the arm movements that much anyway). did buy a new pair of boots and took them for a test drive yet havnt walked in them much at all but have noticed i walk with my fat a$$ legs closer together when i do. i would like to get out one night and take them for a good walk to see just how i change in the way i walk in heels compared to runners...

linda allen
03-01-2012, 11:22 AM
The real question is:
Why do males and females naturally walk differently? Is it something to do with their bone and/or muscle structure? Their weight distribution? Is it learned from watching others of the same gender? Is it intentional or subconcious?

Inna
03-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Scientifically speaking, since man have descended from apes and women came to earth descending from goddesses such differences are rather easily explainable!

Eryn
03-01-2012, 11:35 PM
The real question is:
Why do males and females naturally walk differently? Is it something to do with their bone and/or muscle structure? Their weight distribution? Is it learned from watching others of the same gender? Is it intentional or subconcious?

The natural walk is a product of mechanics. Women's hips are wider so they articulate more and their arms have to swing wider to clear them. This produces what we call a feminine walk.

I also believe that there is a learned walk that accentuates some of these characteristics. It's a form of body language that attracts attention.

I try more for the first than the second. I really want less attention, not more! :)

roger
03-02-2012, 01:19 AM
As an admirer, I can tell you that a sexy walk is key!

Kerstin
03-02-2012, 09:56 AM
I find it's way easier to walk in a more feminine way in flats than it is in high heels. Heels do give you that hip sway, but if you're not careful you can end up looking really awkward. I feel 100% at ease with my walk in flats or low heels, but I've yet to get there in high heels.

The key things to remember are to keep your upper arms closer to the body, walk with the hips not the shoulders, knees together, back straight, shoulders back. BUT do not exaggerate any of these, or you run the risk of looking like a mincing drag queen. Keep it relaxed and natural. And as has been mentioned, not all women walk in the stereotypical feminine way, so don't feel like every single movement has to be how you'd imagine a woman would do it.

SabrinaEmily
03-03-2012, 04:47 PM
The natural walk is a product of mechanics. Women's hips are wider so they articulate more and their arms have to swing wider to clear them. This produces what we call a feminine walk.

I also believe that there is a learned walk that accentuates some of these characteristics. It's a form of body language that attracts attention.

I try more for the first than the second. I really want less attention, not more! :)

I disagree; plenty of prepubescent girls walk in stereotypically feminine ways. They haven't developed hips yet. It's learned. Probably mirror neurons or something similar pick up on the walk of people of the same gender. (So if you're trans, that would be the gender of your brain, not your anatomy. I would bet that's why so many transpeople felt more natural expressing the mannerisms of their target gender even before they consciously realized why.)

PretzelGirl
03-04-2012, 11:22 AM
I will always be a believer that we draw more attention by overdoing things (walk, dress, make-up) and are better off leaning towards underdoing them if you don't want to be noticed. If you want to be noticed or don't care, then go to town and do it the way you want to. It is ultimately what makes you happy. But if you overdo a walk, don't go on believing that you won't be noticed. It isn't helping you blend in, it is creating a reason for you to stick out.

Eryn
03-04-2012, 04:41 PM
I disagree; plenty of prepubescent girls walk in stereotypically feminine ways. They haven't developed hips yet. It's learned.

While some youngsters may learn a walk, the model they are mimicking is likely walking that way for practical reasons so it remains primarily a matter of mechanics.

Because of this thread my wife and I have been observing and discussing gaits while out and about. Today I pointed out a woman walking away from us who had a very feminine walk, with elbows in, arms straightened, shoulders back, etc. Right behind her was another lady who was wearing a cross-body messenger bag and also displayed a fairly feminine walk. As we passed by we realized that the second "lady" was a man whose walk was likely determined by the need for his hands to clear his bag!

Moral: Want a feminine walk? Wear a cross-body bag! :)

Jonianne
03-08-2012, 10:36 PM
I don't know why they call it a "catwalk". My cat (female), when she runs in front of me to the kitchen when she thinks I'm going to feed her, doesn't do anything like a "catwalk"!