PDA

View Full Version : Since I am starting my transition in the very near future...

candice44
03-02-2012, 07:12 PM
What things should I look for or be aware of when looking for a very competant therapist?

Your advice is so welcomed :)

Bree-asaurus
03-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Recommendations from another transexual :P If there is a local support group or something you can attend, you're very likely to find a good therapist through there.

Check laura's playground, as I believe therapists are listed there.

If you are transexual, and have done even an ounce of research yourself, you'll probably spot a therapist that doesn't know their stuff pretty quickly. I say this because you say you are already planning on transitioning, so I assume you aren't still questioning who you are.

candice44
03-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Recommendations from another transexual :P If there is a local support group or something you can attend, you're very likely to find a good therapist through there.

Check laura's playground, as I believe therapists are listed there.

If you are transexual, and have done even an ounce of research yourself, you'll probably spot a therapist that doesn't know their stuff pretty quickly. I say this because you say you are already planning on transitioning, so I assume you aren't still questioning who you are.

You're correct. I am not questioning who I am at all

Amber99
03-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Recommendations from another transexual :P

This is for sure the best way to go. Also how I got my Endo.

Kristy_K
03-02-2012, 08:12 PM
You're correct. I am not questioning who I am at all

Just don't except the therapist to believe that or you in the first few sessions. They will have to see consistence out of you. Because most therapist think you need there help for you to accept yourself. At least that is the way mine was. I told mine up front all I needed out of them was that letter for a SRS and I wanted to start my time stamp.

Julia_in_Pa
03-03-2012, 08:43 AM
Candice,

I transitioned in Helena Montana.
Because of this I did not have access to a gender specific therapist.
The nearest one was in Missoula which was 117 miles west.
Because of this I went to a therapist that was well versed in transitioning in life.
For example a transition would be when children leave the nest and the parent(s) are struggling to accept such a reality.
I thought that in the case of me transitioning socially from one gender presentation to another that this therapist would be a good fit.
It was a great fit and he helped me in every aspect of my transition including writing a bathroom carry letter for me.
Do your homework and choose a therapist based on similarities that that therapist has to what your going through.

Julia

Kaitlyn Michele
03-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Candice i urge you to keep on it and find that therapist...send that email to Dr Anne vitale... good transsexual transgender WPATH therapist ontario...etcetc...

I hope you do it quickly...there is a saying that your "bell is rung"...look that up...it happens to many of us, and it tends to be this irresistible need to transition immediately and tell everybody immediately...

You need to deal with it because exploding out of the gate is a bad idea...you need to develop a very good understanding of what transition really is...the $$, the time, the pitfalls, the work situation..electrolysis, HRT...dont get me wrong, its all very doable for you...it's all right there for you and transition can be exciting and rewarding but only if you transition WELL.....and that's all on you... but telling people now will create PRESSURE that you don't need... it will create OBSTACLES to your transition if you haven't planned it out...it will risk DOUBT coming to your mind as people share their opinions and fears with you...see what i'm saying??? get the lay of the land, create your plan...then tell the world...and then DO what you say ..this is how to win people over..

this forum..is also a good place to start...there are lots of people that have done it...others are trying to do, others hoping for someday...we are all here to share our experience...