PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who take Ballet Class

LeotardMan
03-03-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm probably going to start taking some ballet lessons in a few weeks start with a few one on one sessions and move to a class. Anyway, I was wondering how do most of you dress? Do you go with the tights over the leotard or the leotard over the tights? Or do you dress a bit different as to not scream I'm a CD and offend other people in class? Its been about nine years since I last took a class.

Geoff

docrobbysherry
03-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Never been. But, I ALWAYS wear leotard OVER my tites! Hope u have fun! Keep us posted!

Joanna Maguire
03-03-2012, 11:41 PM
My mother took me to ballet classes when I was a 7r old err ? I loved wearing a Tutu:battingeyelashes:

JamieG
03-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Geoff, first congratulations on signing up for a class and getting back into it! As I'm sure you know, ballet is hard work but it's also very fun and rewarding. The answer to your question depends on how you plan on presenting yourself: as a passable woman, as a transgendered person, or as a male with interest in ballet. Women always wear their leotards over their tights. However, in adult classes, many women wear more contemporary exercise wear (e.g. yoga pants and tops). Those that do wear tights and leotards often wear shorts over the top for modesty reasons. If you are presenting as a woman (and passable) or if your teacher knows you are TG and is fine with it, then dress like the other women (remember, no adults, male, female or otherwise, wear a tutu to class!). Men in ballet classes almost always wear leotards under their tights (and leotards appear to be pretty rare, especially among beginners). I know you'll get a few people who'll say otherwise, but just go on any ballet forum and read the messages, and you'll see that most ballet teachers and students don't like the idea of someone taking ballet just to CD. If you want the teacher to take you seriously, then don't depart too much from the norms. I wear tights and performance tees to every class. Once in a while I've worn a leo under my tights and under a tee shirt. In the two years I've been taking classes, only two other men have ever joined, and neither of them even wore tights. I am completely accepted by the teacher and my class. I could probably push the envelope a bit more, but choose not to, because some of the women work at the same institution I do, and although we never see each other during the day, I don't want rumors about me spreading around.

Sarah V
03-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Geoff, as you know I have been taking adult recreational ballet classes for a long time now. I love them very much for a multitude of reasons. However, as much as I would surely love to, there is no-way I would ever dress enfemme for a regular open, drop-in (when I am traveling for work) or my scheduled class. I have made many acquaintences in class and do not want to ruin those relationships and my relationship with the teacher as well. I always dress like me as a male. I do wear male tights though, while it seems more men do not do that today unless they are in academic/pre-pro ballet schools. I just wear a t-shirt (not white - hate those), dance belt, leather flats, and my black tights over my t-shirt. I do have a two male leotards (black & dark green) and someday I am going to get around to wearing them to class. I am not out to cause a scene and I am there to learn, work out and enjoy this feminine activity.

When I practice at home, what I wear is much more feminine. At some point I would like to begin taking private lessons, and IF (big if) I can find the RIGHT instuctor, who is a competent teacher AND who also is transgender friendly, then I will think about approaching him/her about taking my private lessons enfemme, as I would also like to begin pointe too.

Bottom Line: Don't make waves and enjoy your class and let your classmates enjoy their class also that they are paying good money for as well.

P.S.: Jamie: Like you every once and awhile I too will wear one of my female leo's under my t-shirt and you can bet it is a baggy/long-sleved one at that. Just FYI most of the older adult women in my class wear either balck or floral semi-sheer ballet practice skirts for modesty (See 42Foettes.com) as an example. It is the younger adult students (girls in their 20's) who are wearing the shorts that I see. Also, fyi, if you look at a lot of professional or pre-professional ballet students in practice and rehersal settings you will notice many who do wear their tights over their leotards.

Michelia
03-12-2012, 01:07 PM
My advice is to go as yourself and scream CD. They will accept you in time if you are nice and friendly. Dress nicely and appropriately. I would run this first by the owner just to be safe. I have talked to quiet a few dance place owners and not a one said they would not take me...unless the class was "girls only".