PDA

View Full Version : Should We Refer To Ourselves as Sissies?

brassieres
03-09-2012, 12:44 AM
I do not know, it is kinda a derogatory label. Maybe dressing as women, we should consider ourselves with empowerment such as vixens instead. Just a thought.

ArleneRaquel
03-09-2012, 12:47 AM
I find the term very offensive and demeaning. That's just the way I feel.

docrobbysherry
03-09-2012, 12:48 AM
Ok. I'm granting u your wish, Brass. Your such a total vixen!

As far as I'm concerned, u can call me anything but late for a CD outing!

ArleneRaquel
03-09-2012, 12:49 AM
I'm sorry if I sounded rude, but I just hate that term.

April_Ligeia
03-09-2012, 12:51 AM
This idea seems to turn some people on (see almost any fictionmania story). I personally don't really care, people can call me a sissy, whatever. I don't get turned on or offended by the term. It's just a word.

Julogden
03-09-2012, 12:52 AM
Some submissive CD's get off on the "sissy" stuff, but I don't see that it should be applied to anyone else. I generally find it to be a derogatory term too.

Carol

ArleneRaquel
03-09-2012, 12:54 AM
Carol,
You are so right. I just want to scream when I hear that term.

Shananigans
03-09-2012, 12:59 AM
You probably won't see me use it, because I'm also not a huge fan. But, I also don't really care if people call themselves a sissy. I DO contain certain biases towards people that use that term...could be positive or negative, depending how you look at it. By I see sissy almost synonymous with fetishist in a way. Just a view I've developed.

pattyv
03-09-2012, 01:03 AM
Please explain the word "sissy".

Elara
03-09-2012, 01:28 AM
I'm not a fan of the word either... it conveys weakness for me, now vixen - I totally want to be a vixen

ArleneRaquel
03-09-2012, 01:40 AM
I'm sorry to be such prude, but to mean both terms are mean spirited and hateful. I know that I'm a minority here on this subject, but that's the way I feel. I had to get that out, I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just a pet peeve of mine. Hugs&Kisses to all. :2c:

April_Ligeia
03-09-2012, 01:44 AM
You probably won't see me use it, because I'm also not a huge fan. But, I also don't really care if people call themselves a sissy. I DO contain certain biases towards people that use that term...could be positive or negative, depending how you look at it. By I see sissy almost synonymous with fetishist in a way. Just a view I've developed.

Exactly, some people want to be a sissy, and that's fine. If that's what someone wants to do, what's the harm? If I want to be a sissy, I can be a sissy. In fact, maybe I am. Of course, it's different if someone else calls you this term. Rather like a certain term widely used for people who came from the Niger. It can be embraced and used for empowerment, or can be used by narrow-minded Conservatives (a truly offensive epithet) to offend innocent people.

Tara D. Rose
03-09-2012, 01:50 AM
Some submissive CD's get off on the "sissy" stuff, but I don't see that it should be applied to anyone else. I generally find it to be a derogatory term too.

Carol

I totally agree with you on this. This is how I view the term as well. It would be like calling our wives a doragatory name. But sometimes with some couples, when in the bedroom, sometimes name calling can be good. I guess the word can be insulting by which context it is used. Iike Ihave male friends I can call on the phone and say hey what's happening you A**hole, and no offense will be taken, but in a different context the same name can be insulting. So with the name of sissy, it really would depend on how the one using the name means it.

Jacqueline Winona
03-09-2012, 02:25 AM
I don't think you're in the minority, Arlene, most of us wouldn't want a stranger calling us that. I don't care for name calling for anyone, and that word if not used by two consenting adults usually is intended to demean. It's fine with me if someone wants to call herself that, but I don't call anyone else names and wouldn't take it too well if it were used towards me.

ArleneRaquel
03-09-2012, 02:26 AM
I don't think you're in the minority, Arlene, most of us wouldn't want a stranger calling us that. I don't care for name calling for anyone, and that word if not used by two consenting adults usually is intended to demean. It's fine with me if someone wants to call herself that, but I don't call anyone else names and wouldn't take it too well if it were used towards me.

Janice,
An excellent post darlin.

thechic
03-09-2012, 02:43 AM
Anyone call me a Sissie and i would become quit vocal,I hate the word

Contessa
03-09-2012, 03:03 AM
I accepted myself as a crossdresser. That was how I got to this place, putting on my mothers clothes. I understand a sissy to be one who would not fight or hit back or played with dolls or girl stuff. Not just putting on clothes of the opposite gender. Of course the term was actually given to boys. I do not at my age see myself as a boy, but I am a man. A woman is a man too in human terms. Look there are more feminine chromosomes are than there are masculine ones.

XX XY 3x's and 1 y what do you think maybe going on here. But from the moon I can't be seen even with a telescope, microscope and a magnifying glass. lol

Tess

mbmeen12
03-09-2012, 03:03 AM
Was Calamity Jane a sissy? I don't think so. Seriously if there was car accident everyone in this forum would assist the injured right? Sissy would be derogatory my opinion. Whats Webster dictionary definition of a Vixens I mean I know what it means, but the devil in the details? Dam now I am going goggle:)

vix·en (vksn)
n.
1. A female fox.
2. A woman regarded as quarrelsome, shrewish, or malicious.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[From dialectal alteration of Middle English fixen, from Old English fyxe.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vixen·ish adj.
vixen·ish·ly adv.
vixen·ish·ness n.
Word History: Why does the word fox begin with f but its female counterpart, vixen, begin with v? The answer lies in English dialects. In the speech of Devon, Somerset, and Cornwall, counties of southern England, words that begin with the voiceless fricative sounds (f) and (s) are pronounced instead with voicing, as (v) and (z). (The local rendering of the county name Somerset, in fact, is "Zomerzet.") The voicing is due to a Middle English sound change and may have roots even earlier. At least three examples of this dialectal pronunciation have entered standard English: vat, vane, and vixen. The first of these is a variant of an earlier word fat; the pronunciation with (f) was still used in the 19th century before being displaced by the southern pronunciation (vt). Vane, which used to mean "flag," has a cognate in the German word for "flag," Fahne, showing the original f. Vixen, finally, represents the southern pronunciation of a word that goes back to Old English fyxe, the feminine of fox. It was formed by a change in the root vowel of fox and the addition of a suffix -e or -en. Besides being one of the rare southern English dialect forms to have come into standard English, vixen is also the only survival of this type of feminine noun in the modern language.

ReineD
03-09-2012, 03:42 AM
Should We Refer To Ourselves as Sissies?

No.

Kaz
03-09-2012, 03:45 AM
Why do we insist on labels? Isn't it just OK to be human?

Little boxes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La21jYGIQ8k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_2lGkEU4Xs&feature=related

I am Kaz... I am unique!.. OK I have friends who share some of my interests, but they may not be in my box and when I think they are I am usually surprised later on when I realise they are not... I treat everyone as unique.. although they do show some tribal attributes!

A senior colleague of mine recently emailed me (work related!) that he 'knew' which tribe I belonged to... My immediate reaction was anger - I am not in a tribe! I am in many tribes! But then, on reflection, this could be a tribe!

But I am a member of many tribes...

BRANDYJ
03-09-2012, 04:12 AM
Count me in as one that hates that term. It has so many bad connotations attached to it. I do dress in women's clothes and emulate all the beautiful, loving strong things that I see and feel women are. That is an act that the general public might say I'm a sissy for doing it. But they better never call me a sissy to my face or all hell will break loose. I think it puts women down suggesting they are less then man. The most common use of the term is to bully a weaker kid. One that is not physically strong, smaller, or not as brave as the other boys on the street. So among kids, it's a very hurtful word. I happen to also be a submissive BUT only to the powerful loving woman I serve, my SO. But I am far from submissive to anyone else. So even being a submissive CD, I can't stand that derogatory term. Why some CDs like to be called a sissy is beyond me.
Go shop E bay and you will see tons of sissy dresses and sissy panties listed as such by the seller. I am sure they are attracting the fetish CD wiht that kind of wording. Again, I find it insulting and derogatory and so does my SO.

Beverley Sims
03-09-2012, 05:13 AM
Sissies, Transvestites, Cross Dressers, Transsexuals, all sound degratory in their own way to the un initiated.
I am starting to think I should present myself as a dresser. Male to Female if necessary.
To the politically correct that could be turned around as well.
Think of terms for other races, Frog, Pole, Pom, nigger, Balts. I have not mentioned the religious ones as they are more militant. Politicians, Lawyers, Sticker Lickers, Parking Inspectors et al.:) They all seem to be put down instantly.They have all been put down at some time yet they are only a description of a particular race or outlook.

Beverley the dresser.

Noortje
03-09-2012, 05:20 AM
Why are we having this discussion? Is this a common word? I don't think I've heard the word on here before this discussion. Maybe we are validating this term by giving it more attention than it deserves?

Kerstin
03-09-2012, 05:25 AM
If anyone uses that in a derogatory way towards you just ask 'em if they think a sissy would have the balls to put on a dress and heels.

Claire Cook
03-09-2012, 05:49 AM
Sissies, bah! Here's to Wonder Women and Bra Power!

noeleena
03-09-2012, 06:10 AM
Hi,

Would i be refered to as a sissy, i dought very much, one my age, 64, two im a mature woman & three im a very strong woman as well.

To myself it refers to one who is a boy who is scared of something or someone or doing some thing a bit like a dare, that goes back 54 years, that was used then.

...noeleena...

~Joanne~
03-09-2012, 06:13 AM
I'm sorry to be such prude, but to mean both terms are mean spirited and hateful. I know that I'm a minority here on this subject, but that's the way I feel. I had to get that out, I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just a pet peeve of mine. Hugs&Kisses to all. :2c:

I don't think your a minority here as I don't like that term either. It is a hateful and degrading term and As Contessa stated "I understand a sissy to be one who would not fight or hit back". This is how I understood the term and I while I will try to act lady like while en femme, I will also whoop some ass if need be too ;)

If anyone wants to add this label to the long list of terms they will allow society to put on them by all means, it's your choice. I'll pass.

Leasa Wells
03-09-2012, 06:30 AM
Really girls with all that is going on in life we are focusing on this word. its reminds me of the rhyme

Sticks and stones
Will break my bones
But names will never hurt me

just for the record I dislike the word hate, but feel the word pretty can be used freely

Have a nice day :-)

Sandra1746
03-09-2012, 07:14 AM
I don't like the idea of labels although I am well beyond the age where I pay attention to them.

However when I was a pre-teen and was referred to as a "sissy" it did hurt. For that reason alone I wouldn't welcome this as a label.

Just my $0.02,
Sandra1746

STACY B
03-09-2012, 07:23 AM
OHHHHHHHHH SISSY HUH !! Well ,,, Well ,, Call me what you will , I m more of a hobbiest ,Novest , A realy,,, realy dedicated wanna be woman , lady , girl, But maybe a sissy to some depends on the dummy thats talkin ? But always remember its bad enough to get beat down by someone for runnin you chops in front of your girl or buddys or someone your trien to empress but ohhhhh la,,,la,, Its quet another to have it done by AKA A sissy ,,, Now thats a party !! So a SISSY you TELL ME ,, You make the choice ??

Helen Grandeis
03-09-2012, 07:34 AM
NO!
-
Those of us that might channel Tasha Yar, Ziva David, Dianna Prince, Emma Peal might knock those who do right on their tushies or with a submission hand hold drive them to their knees!
-
Additionally most of us are fully fueled and empowered by testosterone most of the time and embrace that most of the time and although we know that it is usually best to quietly walk away from cretins, it wouldn't be good to catch us off guard at an otherwise bad moment with a nasty remark.
-

Robyn7778
03-09-2012, 07:46 AM
Personally, I hate the term sissy and am offended if anyone applies it to me. Now, I could be wrong about this, but in my wanderings around the Internet I've found that there are people out there who embrace being a "sissy." And if it works for them, great, I have no issue with it. In the cases in which one embraces being a sissy, it seems to me that it tends to be very sexual. In other words, it seems to me to be a sub-section of crossdressing that may be as much or more of a fetish that usually involves very submissive behavior.

It's when the term sissy is used in broad strokes to paint all crossdressers and/or transgenders that I have the issue with it. When used broadly it becomes either a misrepresentation of what a "sissy" is, or it is derogatory implying a weakness or abnormality. I am strong and confident. I am not submissive. I am not a sissy. For those who embrace being a sissy, enjoy. But please don't apply the term to crossdressers in general.

kimdl93
03-09-2012, 07:49 AM
I find the term very offensive and demeaning. That's just the way I feel.

I don't want to be referred to as a "sissie". Arlene summes up my opinion precisely. If someone else chooses to call himself a sissie -that's certainly their perogative. I don't know why the collective "we", whomever that might include, would even consider using the term.

LindaC
03-09-2012, 07:59 AM
I personally don't like term, but it's a matter of choice. If someone want's to be know as a sissy, it's up to them.

STACY B
03-09-2012, 08:09 AM
More like a friggen ROCK STAR !!!! Or a SUPER STAR !!! If they all knew how hard we work to look this great we would be ROYALTY .

shyselina
03-09-2012, 08:41 AM
I hate the term myself..

daarleane
03-09-2012, 08:48 AM
I wouldn't suggest that term to the veterans, police and other members of this group.

Kate Simmons
03-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Hoo Boy, Just be careful. I started a similar thread some years ago and nearly had my head handed to me. Personally, I feel if the shoe fits wear it. Talk is cheap in any case and that includes when people call other people names or give them certain labels.:)

STACY B
03-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Im back !!! How about PRISSYS ,, Cuz I be PRISSEN ,,, Or your MAJESTY ,,,, Or youe hinest ,, Or just >>>>>>> SUPA STAR !!!!

BRANDYJ
03-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Hoo Boy, Just be careful. I started a similar thread some years ago and nearly had my head handed to me. Personally, I feel if the shoe fits wear it. Talk is cheap in any case and that includes when people call other people names or give them certain labels.:)

I agree, But there is a difference when someone calls you a sissy and your wanting to identify as one yourself, as some do. It's not for me, but for those that like that term, who am I, or anyone else to say they should'nt even if I don't liek it.

Marie-Elise
03-09-2012, 10:13 AM
I'll just say that I don't like the term. But, to those who do, have at it.

"Sissy", to me, seems to indicate some kind of submissive man in a sexual manner. I find the submissive thing hard to get my mind around even though I had a long term relationship with a woman who considered herself submissive. I finally broke off the relationship when she wanted me to choose what she was to wear and to give her a list of things to do every day. Felt like it was becoming a mirror of my job but even more so. I don't micromanage but she wanted me to do it to her.

But I digress. The bottom line is I like to dress as a woman. I am still the primary provider for my family and I like to think my wife and I have a pretty balanced relationship. Work for us but, as always, YMMV.

whowhatwhen
03-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Whatever floats your boat, some people like being called worse but that is for the bedroom - not the public arena where we are being judged every second of every day.
But yeah, I would class it as derrogatory since it implies weakness and is a bit sexist IMO.

Cheryl T
03-09-2012, 10:19 AM
I am certainly not a sissy! I would object vehemently if someone called me that. I just happen to have a very strong feminine component to my being.
Sticks and Stones and all that....

NicoleScott
03-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Several reference sources had two main definitions:
1) a man or boy who is weak, timid, or cowardy
2) an effeminate man or boy

Some sources added other defnitions, including:
3) informal name for "sister". Some use it as their name ("Coal Miner's Daughter")
4) a girly girl (overtly feminine gg)
5) a man or boy who enjoys little girl's clothing

I don't see any of these as offensive, if a definition fits.

Certainly, some crossdressers are sissies, but not all crossdressers are sissies, and not all sissies are crossdressers.

I don't have a sissy dress to enjoy, but I would love to have one. None of the other definitions apply, so I'm not a sissy (yet). If I buy a sissy dress to wear (and enjoy), you could call me a sissy, and I wouldn't be offended (because it would be accurate).

BRANDYJ
03-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Interesting point of view Nicole. I can't even disagree with you. But still, I don't like it. I guess my main objection is when it is used by kids to bully a weaker or smaller boy.

Thinking back to when I was a young pre-teen to teen years. I honestly don't recall being one of those bullys. But since I was not weak or chicken, I was never bullied or called a sissy. I used to feel sorry for the kid when I saw the bullies picking on him. It was common back in my youth. Today it's in the news all the time about how wrong it is.

KarenCDFL
03-09-2012, 11:14 AM
I personally would not.

A "Sissy" is a specific fetish that has cross dressing involved but not the main point.

I don't consider cross dressing a fetish in my case.

Bree-asaurus
03-09-2012, 12:15 PM

Until I joined this forum, I had only heard the word sissy used to demean others. It sounds like nothing but a put-down to me.

After seeing it used here, I kind of agree with your view as well.

I ain't no sissy! *rolls ups sleeves*

Lorileah
03-09-2012, 12:18 PM
If you have a brothie I guess you would be a sissie.

I am not one so don't call me one. You can call me many other things but I ain't one of THEM!

Tracy
03-09-2012, 12:20 PM
I don't particularly care for the term, mostly because it's typically used in a demeaning manor. I also have never really been one for labels.

ninapuella
03-09-2012, 12:41 PM
A sissy is more a fetisch-term. Maybe we shouldnt call ourselves anything, why not try the term humans?

whowhatwhen
03-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Mine says "Shredded Wheat", but I'm not sure how to take that really.

JiveTurkeyOnRye
03-09-2012, 12:43 PM
To me, it's not so much that the term itself is derogatory, as much as it has now become sort of the title of a specific fetish, and it's a fetish that equates femininity with weakness, submissiveness, and humiliation. I don't really like what it represents, I can't shake the air of misogyny and, I feel, some self-loathing transphobia within it.

So, as far as the old schoolyard slur goes, no I don't let stuff like that get to me, don't give words power and they have no power over you. But when it comes to self-identification, I prefer not to be confused with that other segment.

PretzelGirl
03-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Well, there aren't too many opinions on this are there? But back to the real OP:

I do not know, it is kinda a derogatory label. Maybe dressing as women, we should consider ourselves with empowerment such as vixens instead. Just a thought.

We? No. There is nothing that everyone can agree on that We would all call ourselves. But each individual has a choice to call themselves whatever they want.

Badtranny
03-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Just another thing for overly sensitive people to be sensitive about. I haven't been called a sissy since I was in Junior High, but if somebody were to try and insult me with that word, I would just look at them and say "is that the best you can do?" like Steve Martin in Roxanne, "you have THIS to work with and the best you can think of is sissy?".

I'm a pariah in some trans circles because I have no issue with the word "tranny". Whatever. Words only have the power that you give them and I'm not 12 years old anymore, so I'm no longer in the business of investing in other people's hate.

whowhatwhen
03-09-2012, 01:24 PM
I guess it's moot since there is no such thing as a TG hivemind and not everyone will agree.
Thank god though, can you imagine the attack ads when trying to choose the queen bee?

JohnH
03-09-2012, 01:54 PM
"Sissy" implies someone who is weak-willed and is a namby-pamby. We on the other hand have the courage to break out of the rigid mould imposed on men in our society.

A sissy is someone who drinks Arbor Mist "wine".
A sissy is someone who drinks Coors light "beer".

A sissy would want to wear the mousy clothing and shoes as shown in Haband instead of the bolder clothing and shoes in Jessica London.

John

BillieJoEllen
03-09-2012, 02:20 PM
I had a hard time as a child because for some reason a lot of my friends and members of my family that I looked up to called me a 'sissy'. I struggled my entire childhood trying to prove how much of a boy I was. I needed my father's support and approval. I got into wrestling and weight lifting. Now that I'm older and want to present more as a woman I regret taking up those sports. I've had a hard time having to live down being called a 'sissy'. Being forced into girl's clothes one summer afternoon was highly embarrassing. Being used as a dress model by my mother was hard to live down. Having an uncle of mine show around a picture of me at 3 1/2 yrs of age in a baptismal gown two Christmases ago brought up many of my relatives memories of me when I was less than boyish. It is to me a very derogatory term. I speak from experience.

Kathy Smith
03-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Personally I don't like the term - being applied to me at least. I suppose it's horses for courses though; if you feel as if you should be called "sissy" then that's up to you.

Lorenqt
03-09-2012, 02:29 PM
I don't really identify myself as a sissy. If someone wishes to call themselves that, that's their call.

carhill2mn
03-09-2012, 02:32 PM
IMHO referring to ourselves as "sissies" is very degrading!

Bree-asaurus
03-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Quick search: 130 of our 19000 members promote themselves as sissies by including the term in their username. Quite the minority it seems :P

kimdl93
03-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Quick search: 130 of our 19000 members promote themselves as sissies by including the term in their username. Quite the minority it seems :P

That would seem to settle the matter ;), Thanks for dong the research, Bree!

Tamara Croft
03-09-2012, 03:18 PM
That would seem to settle the matter ;), Thanks for dong the research, Bree!

But those stats are wrong. Variants of the word, sissy, sissi, sissie bring a total of: - 284 out of a total of : -33,241 members ;)

kimdl93
03-09-2012, 03:20 PM
But those stats are wrong. Variants of the word, sissy, sissi, sissie bring a total of: - 284 out of a total of : -33,241 members ;)

Thanks for doing the additonal verification, Tamara! Now perhaps the subject will at last be put to rest!

Bree-asaurus
03-09-2012, 03:32 PM

lol... but I think that may be a little off. Is the total members number you have including banned, and closed accounts? Just wondering because the member list shows 19126 members. Not that it matters, it's still less than 1% :P

Tamara Croft
03-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Banned members aren't counted in the total, besides, there are no members with that name banned. And you can only see the members who have posted, not the members who have a 0 post count. I don't need to sit and count them, I just to a search in the admin panel and it brings up the total for me ;)

Misti
03-09-2012, 03:37 PM
I do not know, it is kinda a derogatory label.

B, I haven't read a single post beyond MsArlene's, and I don't have to.

In a word, "NO." Period.

StaceyJane
03-09-2012, 03:39 PM
I don't consider myself a sissy nor do I consider GG's to be sissy's.

lmildcd
03-09-2012, 03:44 PM
I don't consider myself a sissy. I like to put on a dress or skirt with panties and bra from time to time. I call myself a mild cross dresser since I don't dress much.

Ressie
03-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Not as a group of crossdressers. I'm sure there are sissy forums for those that choose to be in that sub classification. From what I see, a sissy also considers their self a bottom or sub and many want to be degraded. I don't mean to offend anyone and if I'm wrong let me know.

The word has it's place, but the answer is NO.

BettyCooper
03-09-2012, 03:53 PM
From my experience I find that "sissy" and its implications is a turn-on for some, and for others is a turn-off. I would suggest that if you like calling yourself that you should, and that you should only call others that after having determined that they would like you too.
Love,
Betty

LilSissyStevie
03-09-2012, 04:10 PM
No! Absolutely not! You first have to pay your dues. You first need to experience the slaps to the back of the head on the school bus, the trips in the hallway, the books slapped out of your hand, being pushed down the stairwell, the girls laughing at your pathetic attempts to show interest, your pant pulled down if front of everybody... beatings and humiliations without end. You need to be called, in addition to “sissy”, fairy, pansy, pu$$y, dweeb, dork, faggot, queer, homo... and you have to come to believe it. You must one day realize that you really do belong with all your freaky friends: scrubs, fats, nerds, nose pickers and pants wetters. You're happy the day you were picked before your friend the fat kid for the soccer team. Then there is the sobs under the covers, the self hate, the depression, suicide obsession, counselors and doctors, medications, psych wards and hospitals, addictions and alcoholism until you are standing at the edge staring into the abyss deciding whether to jump.

If you come through all of that, THEN you can look in the mirror and say, “I am a sissy, but unlike my tormentors, I'm not a coward or a weakling.” I don't hide behind authority or numbers. I can't fight but I don't back down. A male but not a man, girly but not a girl, I am my own gender. You can't just throw on some frilly frock and call yourself a sissy. It has to be earned.
:love:

KellyJameson
03-09-2012, 04:25 PM
This word interests me because of the implications associated with it, I'm repelled by it but also intrigued.

Often used as a label of derision for boys who express the same emotions as girls such as crying or showing in some way their feelings have been hurt or a reluctance to be injured or avoiding aggressive behavior and acts this was a powerful tool in forcing men to shut down emotionally to prepare them for a future of violence.

The word has been adopted as a symbolic label of extreme passivity but this creates a paradox because if you are able to "act passive" than you really are not because the reality is true passivity is not an act but a statement of circumstance so by default not a choice.

To act passive is to make a slave out of the master, this is a very powerful ability because it's power is hidden from the master who thinks they are the one in a position of power. Aspects of feminine seduction use this to extreme advantage as well as certain children to manipulate adults with, it is a relationship of two different forms of complementary power.

I understand the disgust and revulsion with the concept because to willingly or unwillingly be submissive,humiliated and dominated can be terrifying and appears to be a disease that is anti-life but the word and the idea behind it has hidden powers.

The concerns I have are that the acts are used to repeat childhood traumas in an attempt to make acts of past evil normal to heal a shattered sense of ones own value, this keeps the victim living as a perpetual victim.

drushin703
03-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Jive turker on rye is right on point. I am a sissie but only in the coloqual sense where familiar conversations and common references might include me.If to be
a sissie is to mean the group that frequents cd.com for insight and answers for what and why they are, then I am one.My neighbor referes to me as" his
sissie next door", so in effect, he, by coloring me a dimunitive, can take a sort of ownership of me..HIS sissie next door(?). If you happen to look at the
images on Flicker, in a lot of cases, those who call themselves sissies are so far removed from the beauty of transvestism, that some of the images
will make you blush... If dressing up in a pink baby outfit with an oversized diaper on with bib and mathing hat, sucking on a pacifier makes you a sissie
then the tempeture has been taken....this hackneyed word and term should forever be discontinued.....dana

NathalieX66
03-09-2012, 04:55 PM
"Sissy" is a subculture of CD'ers that is primarily into S&M, submisson and the whole sissy maid thing, gay or straight. It's not really my bag, though in do confess to owning a few frilly little girl style dresses that some interpret as "sissy"
I'm not happy with the term sissy either.
When I am out & about, I just simply want to be the other gender.

SuzanneBender
03-09-2012, 05:24 PM
NO! I was called that enough in grade school. It hated it then and I hate it now. The ladies are right it is a term used to describe a fetish. Unless you are a fetishist then it is a derogatory term. Please don't sling the word around in public because it paints a bad picture for those of us who aspire to general acceptance by others.

Bree-asaurus
03-09-2012, 05:35 PM
No! Absolutely not! You first have to pay your dues. You first need to experience the slaps to the back of the head on the school bus, the trips in the hallway, the books slapped out of your hand, being pushed down the stairwell, the girls laughing at your pathetic attempts to show interest, your pant pulled down if front of everybody... beatings and humiliations without end. You need to be called, in addition to “sissy”, fairy, pansy, pu$$y, dweeb, dork, faggot, queer, homo... and you have to come to believe it. You must one day realize that you really do belong with all your freaky friends: scrubs, fats, nerds, nose pickers and pants wetters. You're happy the day you were picked before your friend the fat kid for the soccer team. Then there is the sobs under the covers, the self hate, the depression, suicide obsession, counselors and doctors, medications, psych wards and hospitals, addictions and alcoholism until you are standing at the edge staring into the abyss deciding whether to jump.

If you come through all of that, THEN you can look in the mirror and say, “I am a sissy, but unlike my tormentors, I'm not a coward or a weakling.” I don't hide behind authority or numbers. I can't fight but I don't back down. A male but not a man, girly but not a girl, I am my own gender. You can't just throw on some frilly frock and call yourself a sissy. It has to be earned.
:love:

I, like many people, have been through similar situations and would never consider myself a sissy.

Being bullied and having issues doesn't make you a sissy. But if that's what you want to call yourself, go right on ahead ;)

Marleena
03-09-2012, 05:43 PM

Nope, enough people call us sissies already.

We are vixens.:)

drushin703
03-09-2012, 06:14 PM
purple8229. Both me and my neighbors homes are completely under water, neither he nor I can sale, rent or move. We are, because of the housing
crisis, linked to one-another. It is commonly understood that I am the odd-ball in the neighborhood so most of the neighbors just nod their heads-
good morning style, but stay their distance...........Since I am KING, I dont accept their beer guzzling, deer meat barbequeing, loud music blaring,
jersey wearing, fire cracker exploding, big bellied wisecracks thank you..BEING A CROSSDRESSER MEANS THAT WE ARE BETTER THAN
EVERYONE ELSE.............dana lol

Marleena
03-09-2012, 06:31 PM
They are the female fox that walks up and down at 3 am sounding like someone being raped right?

Not sure... I'm never up that late.:)

suchacutie
03-09-2012, 06:32 PM
The OP asked if we should (generically, added for clarity) call ourselves sissies. The answer to that question is no, but the reason is clearly that the term sissy is specific to a subset of crossdressers that has specific qualities, and those who choose this specific area of crossdressing should be able to use this term to explain their niche. It also should not be used generally since most crossdressers are not in that niche, so the "label" would be incorrect.

Simple :)

tina

Brittany CD
03-09-2012, 06:36 PM
I don't like the term at all. It's kind of personal because it doesn't apply to me at all. I'm a regular guy who puts on outfits and wigs for fun. In fact, I was called a bro recently

stacycoral
03-09-2012, 07:17 PM
NO & NO, it is a negative that boys like to say about young boys that don't fit in the cookie cutter, it hurts when your young and they call you sissy, growing up it hard enough, so let not call us girls sissy,and try to stop this, it is another way of bulling.

Kimmie Amanda
03-09-2012, 07:25 PM
well i think this is America...and eaven as messed up as we are right now,we all,each of us,can call ourselves whatever we want.I can understand the subissive wanting to be called a sissie... but i dont think that there will ever be a chance that crossdressers as a group would ever agree to a term that has already caused a lot of suffering in the lives of a lot of us as stated above.Add to that its derogitory nature,and,well,eaven though i may or may not do a lot of things that most of mainstream america would refer to as "sissy", ive also had to pull my finger off a 10d galvanized framing nail out of a nail gun( poke to karen h)...electrical taped it and finished the 12 hr day...then gone home to care for my dying wife and 2 young boys at the time.(In boyshorts if i remember correctly)so in my opinion if "we" were to choose a name i suggest something that would a.make gg's smile and b. be a good poke in the ribs to the namecallers :)

larry
03-09-2012, 09:01 PM
"Should We Refer To Ourselves as Sissies?" That was the starting question. If this means all of us in this forum then the reply is surely (no). On the other hand " I " would SO love to be a sissy for a strong woman.
And yes I know that is a different forum. hehehe

Josie M
03-09-2012, 10:24 PM
My understanding is that "Sissy" is a submissive crossdresser. Since I own my femininity, I'd prefer not to be referred to as such.

Krististeph
03-09-2012, 10:39 PM
"Sissy" is either of my two least hairy siblings, neither of which acts like a 'sissy'. i've had 'girly boy' from a co-worker, never bother to correct him, but also shut him down very quickly when he crossed the line into actually trying to be nasty about it- not appropriate to discuss it here- but it was put up or shut up. He backed off, and we got along for years until i left that company.

Derogatory names by themselves are not a big deal, but the disrespect they foment when used by persons outside that named group- that's not good. Thus, it's better not to call someone a name or label with negative connotations- unless you know they understand it is coming from you as a friendly tease only.

Thin ice at best, i'd stay off it unless you know for sure. And i'd recommend against pushing anyone else out on the ice.... since you asked.

KaTanya
03-10-2012, 02:47 AM
"Vixen" sort of implies that our femininity is all we have going for us. You really want to go that route? After that movie about the pig, I'm not even sure if I want to be referred to as "Babe".

And I definitely don't get the whole "Sissy" fetish, so that's definitely off the table.

Etsy
03-10-2012, 07:03 AM
I am most certainly not a sissy. To me the term implies being weak. My feminine side looks up to strong, confident women, not weak ones. If someone is into being a "sissy" for roleplay then have fun playing that game but if people who see me as a sissy are in grave error.

BRANDYJ
03-10-2012, 08:23 AM
My understanding is that "Sissy" is a submissive crossdresser. Since I own my femininity, I'd prefer not to be referred to as such.

I would disagree with you of what a sissy is. True, I am a crossdresser. I am also a submissive to my SO. No, it's not a game to us. It's how we interact with each other in everyday life. I do not see myself as a sissy, nor does my SO. I strongly dislike that term and we do not use it any more then us using "Mistress" to describe her dominance over me. Both terms have negative meanings to us both. I am as much a man as the next, but with a strong female component inside. I am not weak physically or emotionally. In fact, in my way of thinking, it takes a stronger man to submit to the wants and needs of a woman then it doesto to dominate her.
Not all submissive crossdressers are sissies anymore then all dominant women are Mistresses or worse, a dominatrix. It's not a game to us. I am not submissive to anyone but the lady I love. In public, you would never know it anymore then you'd know I'm a crossdresser.
For those that like to "play" being a Mistress and sissy, that's fine and enjoy it. It's just so far removed from the way I/we live.

FemPossible
03-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Whenever I see the term Sissy being used to describe a crossdresser it's usually to describe a submissive crossdresser sometimes with his mistress. But I doubt anyone would refer to themselves as that outside of fantasy/role-playing.

TxKimberly
03-10-2012, 02:33 PM
I've looked up the definition of "Sissy" a few times, and it usually says something along the lines of what dictionary.com offers:
1. an effeminate boy or man.
2. a timid or cowardly person.
3. a little girl.

So I suppose that technically most of us ARE sissy's, but I REALLY dont like that label. While it clearly is not the actual definition of the word, I think "sissy" means someone who is a coward, who is afraid to do hard work, who is afraid or unwilling to get their hands dirty, and those things do NOT describe me. For that matter, they do not describe most of the women that I know.

BRANDYJ
03-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Good post Kimberly. I'd only add that in some families, a sister among siblings is sometimes called Sissy as a nickname. Think of Sissy Spacek the actress.
To some it's the same as calling a female a Tomboy for doing things considered male. A male might be called a sissy if he is into cooking, fashion, or even nursing. Of course I would not agree with those as reason to call a male a sissy.
But once again, I do not like the term at all.

Ressie
03-10-2012, 04:11 PM
From what I've seen, the term sissy in the CD world is derived from the word "sister", and defines a boy that relates to being a sister. For example, a boy that prefers to play with dolls instead of doing boy stuff and tries on sister's clothes. It certainly has different meanings.

I didn't play with dolls, but did try on the clothes. LOL

Crissy Kay
03-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Whenever I see the term Sissy being used to describe a crossdresser it's usually to describe a submissive crossdresser sometimes with his mistress. But I doubt anyone would refer to themselves as that outside of fantasy/role-playing.

Thats a good way to state it Fem. The term may kind of fit me, but I prefer to be called a part time cd, or even fetish cd instead.

Frédérique
03-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Should We Refer To Ourselves as Sissies? I do not know, it is kinda a derogatory label.

I like thinking of myself as a sissy, and I don’t feel it’s a derogatory term, but everyone else does! I think this is one of the side effects of MtF crossdressing – am I a sissy, a fairy, or...gasp...GAY? You are what you are, or, more specifically, what you wish to be, but it’s all about how others will perceive your expression. This is why I remain secretive, because the idea of being a sissy is cute, worth a giggle, and not worth worrying about. I suppose other males feel threatened in some way when a boy/male/man starts to exhibit anti-masculine characteristics, but they are not aware what pleasures await those who explore their own sexuality and/or potential...
:battingeyelashes:

whowhatwhen
03-10-2012, 06:36 PM
You can refer to me as Princess Consuela Banannahammock.

(I also need better things to do)

Michelia
03-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Gee ...this is one of those perennial discussions that never has an end. Sissy means so many things to so many people. I am totally OK with being a sissy. A very girly girl or a very girly guy. Hey! That is what I am! I not a sissy maid, or anyone's slave (unless I want to be). And yeah, it can have its derogatory connotations and gay males look down upon their sissy counterparts and pump iron 24 hours to counteract the sissy effect, but that is just plaiin hypocrisy.

I like the word. I reclaim it to its proper place and meaning. The word is a nice word that has been hijacked by all kinds of subcultures and the kids in the playground.

I am a sissy... and guess what? I am proud of it. And if someone calls me a sissy, I say "thank you very much... you are quite observant!"

The think I do not like is a lot of people also associate the word with someone that may be a bimbo or not willing to get their hands dirty. Not this sissy....

Badtranny
03-12-2012, 02:52 PM
I am a sissy... and guess what? I am proud of it. And if someone calls me a sissy, I say "thank you very much... you are quite observant!" ..

Attention: This is what courage and self acceptance looks like.

I'll bet a hundred dollars this girl has no problem with relationships, intimate or otherwise.

whowhatwhen
03-12-2012, 03:05 PM
I'm confident in my lack of confidence, does that count?

melina
03-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Wow! This one realy hit home. I think or thought I was a sissy in the early days (70&80s' for me) but now its the quest to be a lady, vixen in the bedroom, or was that sissy? Damn I don't know....

Ari333
03-12-2012, 07:28 PM
only if you feel like a sissy. and its funny, sure its derogatory when you're young, but the situation is quite reversed when a sissy grows up to be gorgeous. those same guys who called you sissy wanna date you! HA!

gracee
03-13-2012, 02:40 PM
I was called a bro recently.

Beats being called a Ho! Or a Homo...

Curious Q: Any of your guy friends know about Katie? They might enjoy her, as you seem such a regular *person*.

Cassandra Lynn
03-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Wow......amazing.

Many of you are so blinded by the forest that you aren't seeeing the trees.

Try reading Michelia's, Lisa Lee's, Frederiques's and Stevie's (very powerful post) again.

Once again, all the 'we hate labels' talk went right out the window.
Heck some of you even triple and quadrupled dipped you were so off on a witch hunt.

Sticks and stones indeed.

whowhatwhen
03-25-2012, 08:40 PM
What?
You mean I'm supposed to take ownership and be happy with a slur?

Well why didn't you say so?
I'll just use the name given to me in junior high! You can call me Faggot.

Am I doing it right?

MsJanessa
03-25-2012, 08:47 PM

My understanding of the term sisies as it applies to TG people is that it refers to a subgroup of CDs who have a certain fetish, are submissive and dress in young girl type petticoats---hence it is a descriptive term for members of this group. If used in that way I don't have a problem with it

STACY B
03-25-2012, 08:48 PM
What?

Am I doing it right?

In junior high all the older kids called me MR , Not MR SISSY ,,, I would have not alowed that ,, Maybe MISS SISSY ,, Or MISS FAGGET ,,

BLUE ORCHID
03-25-2012, 09:06 PM
I don't know about you but I'm a Crossdresser it's who I'm It's what I do.

darla_g
03-25-2012, 09:08 PM
i always thought that term had real strong negative connotation within the CD community

Cassandra Lynn
03-25-2012, 10:09 PM
What?

Am I doing it right?

No, it's about not letting someone who fires a slur at you to take ownership. If you let someone rent space in your head you have lost and they have won.

Insert any derogatory term you wish folks, it is only when you can shrug it off as some here have, that you can live life freely.

April_Ligeia
03-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Thinking about this post has inspired me. Years ago, I remember an article by David Rakoff in which he described someone on the street calling him an 'art fag.' I thought, wow, how cool, that's a goal, to be an art fag. This started me back into crossdressing. I'm going to re-embrace that term.

susmitha
03-26-2012, 12:13 AM
No way. We should not be called sissies. It is not a respectable word.

sometimes_miss
03-26-2012, 11:00 AM
As a kid, I hated the word because it was used in a derogitory way, as an insult to a little boy who wasn't 'enough of a man'. Now, it really doesn't bother me, because I know that being feminine has it's own qualities that being a traditional 'masculine man' doesn't have.

muzzy
04-03-2012, 11:29 PM
You can call me a sissy anytime,anywhere and anyhow xoxo

Wendae
04-04-2012, 12:52 PM
On the porn sites a sissy is viewed a bit differently then what most of you are thinking. Then again maybe some of you are ok with that. What ever! It makes no difference to me what someone may have the guts to call me.

Sarasometimes
04-05-2012, 07:04 AM
Doesn't apply to me with my definition: A male who is submissively directed to wear over the top girlie clothes and insulted and put down for it. I'm not into it!

Julie Martin
04-05-2012, 07:35 AM
Only if you are one?

Lorenqt
04-05-2012, 08:16 AM
Since I am KING, I dont accept their beer guzzling, deer meat barbequeing, loud music blaring,
jersey wearing, fire cracker exploding, big bellied wisecracks thank you..BEING A CROSSDRESSER MEANS THAT WE ARE BETTER THAN
EVERYONE ELSE:^5: I loved how you put that.

Richelle423
04-05-2012, 03:00 PM
No! Not at all but my girlfriend always says "you're a girl!" when I'm wearing yoga pants.

whowhatwhen
04-05-2012, 11:05 PM
I'm a literal PC monster, but I'm not so bad.
You can call yourselves anything you want but expect people to get pissy if you use derrogatory terms that should've long been deleted from the English language.

You want your BF/GF/****buddy to call you x, y, AND z?
Go nuts, no one cares what you do in the privacy of your bedroom/car/neighbour's kitchen table.

scarlett
04-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Quote Originally Posted by drushin703 View Post
"Since I am KING, I dont accept their beer guzzling, deer meat barbequeing, loud music blaring,
EVERYONE ELSE"

Now I am f**ked up. I love beer , barbeque, rock music, anything that explodes, wear a Crimson Tide jersey, AND I am a sissy.

sissystephanie
04-06-2012, 05:52 PM
My dear late wife used to call me her "sissy" just for fun. But anyone else who called me a Sissy was going to get the **** beat out of them!! I am a male who crossdresses, and that is the only way to describe me!!

PretzelGirl
04-06-2012, 08:04 PM
But anyone else who called me a Sissy was going to get the **** beat out of them!!

I find it interesting that you want to beat anyone who calls you a sissy when you named yourself with the same word.

kelsey52
04-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Only when I am dressed and the wife tells me to bend over.

whowhatwhen
04-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Only when I am dressed and the wife tells me to bend over.

I hate it when my shoes get untied too.

Samantha B L
04-06-2012, 09:11 PM
There is such a thing as sissy fetish crossdressing. I've done this kind of crossdressing on ocaision. I guess "sissy" is an OK expression if it's used sparingly and with a sense of humor. Really,in referance to things LGBT/TG/TS/CD "sissy" belongs only among ourselves. Outsiders shouldn't say "sissy" but I know you can't cure people of something like that.