PDA

View Full Version : Clocked but so what

kimdl93
03-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Yesterday I made one of my occassional forays to the local Kroger grocery( wearing a pink tunic with a silver chain belt, off white jeans and sandals with low heels , for the record.)

As I walked towards the entry I encountered a fairly short woman, mayb 5'2", coming out. From her look, I could tell I was read immediately. She held the gaze, not so much making eye contact, but certainly checking me out, for a bit longer than people usually do, giving no hint of a smile or other emotions. I passed two more women coming out without attracting any attention at all. ( which disappointed me because I really thought I was wearing cute outfit!)

I made my way through the store and to the checkout without anyone really taking much notice of me one way or another. At the checkout, the cashier and I chatted a bit - she knows me by now - and she commented, "You're always so nice!" and and added "I always remember the nice customers - and the not so nice ones". I thanked her, rang the pleased customer bell and told her she was pretty nice too.

So, yeah, I got read...nothing bad happened...and I got a very nice compliment from my new favorite cashier at Krogers. If you can't be beautiful, at least it helps to have a pleasant disposition!

Sara Jessica
03-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Life is so much easier when we don't care so much if we're read by others.

PretzelGirl
03-09-2012, 12:47 PM
That is all there is to it. Plan on getting clocked and then you don't have to worry about it if it happens. Bonus for ringing the bell and drawing attention to you Kim!

Nikki A.
03-09-2012, 07:57 PM
I don't expect to pass, but as long as I am treated well I am content. I will chat with cashiers while paying, and SAs are very accepting (it means $ for them) and go out of their way to help.
So far, this ugly old broad has done ok LOL.

Debglam
03-09-2012, 08:10 PM
So, yeah, I got read...nothing bad happened...and I got a very nice compliment from my new favorite cashier at Krogers. If you can't be beautiful, at least it helps to have a pleasant disposition!

Nice Kim! You are so right!

Life is so much easier when we don't care so much if we're read by others.

That says it all!

If not read by looks, then by voice, if not by voice then when I show ID when I pay. The sky hasn't fallen yet!

kimdl93
03-09-2012, 08:35 PM
All I can say is the world isn't waiting to collapse upon the first, second or thousandth Cd out in public.

Marleena
03-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Well that's right who cares! Bravo Kim. It is bound to happen to us, but nothing came of it. You then were complimented by the cashier. So you've proved that you are a good person.:)

Kaitlyn26
03-09-2012, 09:34 PM
I think everyone's biggest fear about being clocked is meeting "that person". He'll most likely be a middle aged, overweight, white, possibly ex-servicman, recently divorced, gun nut, alleged christian, that just can't seem to let you be. The one that feels they're doing a public service by latching onto and heckling you all the way home.

LeaP
03-09-2012, 10:38 PM
I don't expect to pass, but as long as I am treated well I am content. I will chat with cashiers while paying, and SAs are very accepting (it means $ for them) and go out of their way to help.
So far, this ugly old broad has done ok LOL.

Don't be so hard on yourself, Kim. No need. I like the way you look just FINE.

Lea

NathalieX66
03-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Kim, I honestly cannot tell if I've been clocked or not.
I have been to the supermarket, Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, Ruby Tuesdays, Panera, shopping malls, Macys, Dillards, Wendys, and countless restaurants, car rental. I cannot tell if people think I really am a woman or if they are just being courteous to me. I make an effort to do my makeup well, mainly to cover up the slight roseacea on my face.

So far, people have been nice.

But I think the Golden Rule here is to project self confidence. That's what people really will see, not your shoes or your makeup. They can size you up all they want by what you wear, but it's your personality that will set the precedent. Be normal and comfortable with yourself, and it will go along way.

paulaloha
03-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Thats awesome Kim! Way to get out there. Perhaps one day soon I'll join the shopping at Kroger while dressed club. That is my favorite grocery store and with all this newfound confidence it may not be too long before I give it a try.

Thanks for the encouraging post! I really like all the points that have been brought up thus far.

STACY B
03-09-2012, 11:45 PM
Hell Ill go ,, Wait up ,, Gotta get my purse

Jacqueline Winona
03-10-2012, 01:36 AM
Great atittude, Kim! Glad you had so much fun

k lynn
03-10-2012, 05:56 AM
I have been clocked or outed on how you look at it three times I know of one time a bra strap slipped and a lady shopper bought it to my attenion thanked her and moved on

DAVIDA
03-10-2012, 06:09 AM
It doesn't matter how my makeup looks or what I have on, every time that I have been out, I have been "clocked" or maybe just "watched"!:heehee:

Carol A
03-10-2012, 06:49 AM
All part of the game of life, I have been read many a time and only once did it go bad. Big deal I was only ask to please leave the store.
But on the other hand a SA walked up to me and ask if I need any help and after saying TY she only replyed "for a man you make a very nice looking women"
Ah, so goes life.

~Joanne~
03-10-2012, 07:34 AM
You know, I think we all get clocked even in drab. People always have a formulated opinion about everyone else while they try to convince themselves that they are better than the next person.

It sounds like you had a very nice outfit on Kim and am glad you just kept about doing your thing. I went to Kroger myself last night and all I thought was "how can you go out in public looking like that " ;) while also telling my GF, who was complaining her legs were freezing, you should wear some hose under your pants for the warmth if not any other reason :)

Annie D
03-10-2012, 10:34 AM
I don't think I have ever been out when I have not been "clocked"! Okay maybe one time; when it was ultra dark, no moon beams, no night lights and I passed another person at a distance of 100 feet and there was a loud sound in the opposite direction and the passerby looked the other way.

It is no longer as important to me to pass 100% of the time as long as I am accepted by the people I encounter. I try to dress appropriately, as I'm sure most of you do, and try not to stand out too much in public places. As a woman, I don't go out of my way to make eye contact but if I do, I try to have a pleasant face, either smiling or joyful indicating that I am happy to be where I am in my life. I try to act as naturally as I would if presenting as male but in a way that a woman my age might act.

While pushing my shopping cart around the soda aisle at Walmart one morning, I encountered a smaller sized woman about my age who asked if I could reach up and retrieve a liter bottle from the top shelf, as she was too short to reach it. Of course I complied as she remarked that being short was difficult when shopping and getting items from the top shelf to which I replied that I feel the same way in my kitchen when I have to bend down and get the pot or pan from a lower shelf or below the stove. We shared a funny moment and went about finishing our shopping.

There is no doubt in my mind that she knew that she was talking with a transgendered person but that she accepted me for who I am really made my day and empowered me to continue going out in public and being seen, clocked or not.

Cristi
03-10-2012, 10:52 AM
I get 'the look' occasionally while out. Usually, it is not necessarily a negative thing, perhaps just somebody who is curious and can't help but take a good long look.

It used to make me nervous when I got it, but so far nothing negative has ever happened as a result.

Now when I get 'the look', I just return it and give the looker a nice smile showing confidence. I figure if the person saw that I was confident and NOT trying to hide, they will be even less likely to make trouble.

STACY B
03-10-2012, 12:43 PM
YEE HAWWWWW Got clocked last night ,, Even after ya started the thread . It was HISTORY in the making . So what ,, Went out an did alittle shoppin last night an of corse no gas in the car,,, Go figure , Had to stop an get some an I thought to myself where would be the worse place to stop ? An thats where I went the busiest place I could find ,, Not some off the wall store ,, One right on the most traveled Highway in town. Why you ask ? Cuz they are way to busy tryin not to wreck to pay attention to me, Then had to go in an pay,, UK OH ,, Ya say ,, Well Im in the mix now so might as well get a coke to . So there I am in my black skirt , top an pattern tights an flats ,, Paying for my gas an a guy walked out of the store an looked at me ,, DOH !!! Well I just rememebered how the ladys pump gas with both hands so I spun around an hung on like it was the first time I ever did it an he just drove off . Not to exciting ,,, HUH ,, Well let that be a lesson . Maybe Ill talk the SO into going out somewhere tonite an give yall some more adventures storys,, Heels maybe ? Or heel shoppin ??

Paulette
03-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Confidence and dressing like the GG's would dress for the activity being it grocery shopping or getting gas will always carry the day. I stopped worrying about what people think when I saw who gets elected to office.

IamSara
03-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Way to go Kim!! Isn't life so much better when we don't care what others think?