PDA

View Full Version : In praise of cuteness

Frédérique
03-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Younger brother: “Why do I have to wear girl’s clothes?”
Older sister: “Because you’re so CUTE!”
(from a translated manga)

A less serious post, for a change...:doh:

Just the other day, a new friend reminded me about cuteness, something that is rarely discussed around these parts. No doubt about it, I strive to be CUTE, and float through this largely unseen and underappreciated part of the crossdressing community like some kind of fairy (a cute one)...

What does it mean to be cute? Well, cute means pretty or attractive in a delicate or dainty way. I am also guilty of trying to be cute (clever, sharp or witty) within my writing, but it’s all just an exercise in expression, much like trying to look like a cute girl is another, more difficult thing to pull off. Speaking of “pulling it off,” some dreams are seemingly impossible, but just trying to be what you want to be is worth the effort. As my father would say, “The difficult takes time, while the impossible takes a little longer.” Good thing he can’t see me now in my cute girly get-up!

I write a lot about sensibilities here at MtF central, for crossdressing springs forth from numerous sensual pleasures that make us happy. I dress with a certain amount of delicacy, meaning that all of the things I wear are pleasing to the senses. The fabric of my girly clothes is beautifully fine in texture, quality, and workmanship, and, it follows, finely sensitive in feeling. Colors need to be deliciously light, mild, and soft, so as to produce mollifying feelings from this chosen (sublime) envelopment. Not many would agree with me, I’m sure, but I get this curious feeling that I cannot insult the beauty of my clothing by doing something...well...indelicate. This is when the boy gets tucked away BIG time, mentally as well as physically. Just look at this adorable dress! It’s a mind-altering experience, or, to put it more succinctly, a natural high...

This may help to explain why I’m not eager to sprint out the front door of my house and reveal my cute self to the world at large. First of all, I don’t dress my age if I can get away with it, and “getting away with it” means keeping out of sight. Oh, I have my real world adventure clothing, but in private I prefer to pour on the cuteness – it’s FUN! In my favorite outfits, I just don’t fit in with someone’s visualization of a male in female clothing – I reside in a small sub-genre of the crossdressing world, and this renders me less likely to feel like part of a “community.” I mean, I wouldn’t expect other MtF crossdressers to take me seriously as a decent representative of their “cause,” nor do I expect to meet many others like me. However, I have met one or two individuals here who are cute in the extreme, in fact I start to blush when I think about them...

What constitutes cute dressing for the MtF crossdresser? Well, interesting, dainty underwear is a must, the kind with little hearts or flowers on it, meant to be briefly visible under the curious circumstances (pardon my pun). A cute dress is also a must – this is not the time for skirts and tops. Think about puffy sleeves, muted pastel colors, a high hemline (remember that underwear), a cute little collar, and an overall experience that is most decidedly ultra-feminine. Your shoes are dainty in the extreme, no heels, with a thin strap over the top of your foot, and your little socks are frilly and adorable. Your hair is positively romantic, perhaps held in place by a band or a bow, your earrings are tiny, and your lips are the same color as your rosy cheeks. BIG eyes, too (via makeup). When you’re through, you look like a little (well, not-so-little) doll. Enchanting!

This is not for everyone, I know, but the idea is to feel extremely vulnerable by melting away one’s masculinity. Pleasure is taken in each and every thing you wear, making you feel delightful and charming, a new experience indeed if you’ve always been a hideously drab male. This “look” is very special, and worth keeping a secret, in fact I’m surprised I’m even writing about it – you can’t do the usual things dressed this way, in fact wearing this cute outfit and immersing yourself in its pleasures is tantamount to achieving a kind of revelation or satori, if you will. You CAN do it, even though you initially thought it was impossible. You feel like someone’s darling, even though you yearn for your own being to be self-cherished. Now what?

This cute presentation needs careful handling. As you swish around the perimeters of your Earthly existence, twirling in place, defying gravity, floating in a pink mist, something strange happens. You become a different person, very sensitive in feeling, a bundle of emotions. You show a sensitive distaste for anything improper, becoming considerate and tactful, in fact you adore how you look and feel in this heady atmosphere of extreme wrongness. Cuteness may be synonymous with elegance or refinement, or it may not, depending on how you approach the task at hand. I began simply by pondering “What if...” one day, and it led me to try on something really extreme. I can’t walk around town like this, unless I was on the way to a costume party, but I would prefer to have a party of one and worship cuteness in private. BTW, cute can be sexy, but I don’t think the opposite is true...

Being cute involves submission, or surrender (here we go again!), but I don’t think cuteness is necessarily a female thing – you can affect cuteness, and female clothing can enhance this innate need, amplifying the potential of an individual. Also, you can BE cute, and maybe look innocent, but you may be hiding deeper truths that are at odds with your presentation. Do you want to play with me? Keeping a secret about your compulsion is a cute activity in itself, mandatory when you have a closet full of things you were never meant to play with, let alone wear! Are boys supposed to love delicate fabrics, flowers, soft colors, and gentle fragrances? It’s all part of this deliciously sensitive world that comes with a heady, healthy appreciation of cuteness. SHE is very vulnerable, harmless, and shy – so is HE, by embracing these cute trappings...

I don’t know how to end this, so picture me giving you a submissive (cute) curtsey...:battingeyelashes:

Don’t do anything cute! On second thought, do everything CUTE! Is there anyone out there who admires cuteness like I do?

Momarie
03-10-2012, 05:23 PM
"Well, cute means pretty or attractive in a delicate or dainty way."

Cute means so many things and comes in so many forms.

I think chubby, sleepy, tumbling puppies are cute.
And little boys caked with dirt who had a lot of fun getting that way are adorable.
My cats are so cute when they "hide" under the dust ruffle, so they can swat my toes as I pass by making the bed.
And little girls with scraped knees who are so proud to show them off.

Sometimes it helps to get out of "yourself" and appreciate the gifts around you....without thinking about it so much.

Marleena
03-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Well it looks like you hit it out of the park with this one Freddy! Such a wonderful post from a CDer's perspective.

Cute and pretty have become my new favorite words. Ithink they are intertwined. I never used those words until a few months ago when I let her out. Now my wife laughs and smiles when I use them. Clothes shopping is full of that is so cute, or that is pretty... It is a personal choice on what we think is cute but it is a feminine thing. Cute can be my favorite ruffly blouse like I have on in my avatar. It can be black velvet ballet flats I adore or a flower in a girl's hair. Anything that is decidedly feminine can fit the category.:)

Miniskirts, high heels, back seamed nylons, etc. would forego that category for me and be just plain sexy in a different way.:)

Karren H
03-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Well I settle for cute (ish) because I can't pull off $lutty or sexy! :)

diannecourtney
03-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Well Freddie, I believe you have written an autobiography. Your avatar not only reveals a lovely cute girl but demos lovely hair and model like hands. It goes without saying you are not only the most prolific writer of this domain, but easily could qualify for membership in Mensa. Keep up the good work, we love you for it. Dianne

Flent
03-10-2012, 06:40 PM
I don't crossdress, but I can understand this a little. One drab winter I was feeling depressed, and since all the Valentine's stuff was on sale, I impulsively bought lots of it to decorate my apartment. I had heart coasters and streamers, pink strawberry sheets, a red curtain, everything was cute in the extreme. Anyone who saw it would have thought it was decorated for an eight year old, so I kept it secret. No one who knew me in real life would ever have suspected. And it worked, I felt happy and enjoyed myself.

I love cute; cute is underrated.

Persephone
03-10-2012, 07:17 PM
A very cute post, Frédérique!

Are boys supposed to love delicate fabrics, flowers, soft colors, and gentle fragrances?

Boys are trained not to, and to say that they don't, which may explain why they are attracted to cute and delicate girls like a moth to a flame.

Women use "cute" as a form of praise to each other, and a lot depends upon the precise shade of inflection used. It can be a derogatory term as well as a compliment in girl world. But generally, when a stranger comes by and says, "Cute shoes!" she means it as a compliment. And if your shoes really are cute you'll hear it frequently!

Hug,
Persephone.

Kaz
03-10-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm with Karren... cute would be good!

drushin703
03-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Frederique: "This cute presentation needs careful handling. As you swish around the perimeters of your earthy existence, twirling in place, defying
gravity, floating in a pink mist".
Am I correct in my understanding that cuteness is the other dimension of crossdressing? Finally the letting go of self inspite of current vitriol
pointing you foward (you sure dont want to be called a sissie around these parts).?.............Whatever. I enjoy the reflection you paint....dana

Miriam-J
03-11-2012, 08:30 AM
As always Frédérique, I find your words to be enchanting. I thoroughly enjoyed the picture that your words evoked.

As a guy I generally show disdain for overt cuteness, sometimes quietly mocking. As a gal I enjoy embodying cuteness, though I can't approach it nearly as well as some on this forum. I've claimed to be the same person in both personae, but perhaps this difference demonstrates the flaw in that statement.

Miriam

Sara Jessica
03-11-2012, 09:16 AM
I think your post if very insightful and tells a lot of us more about your essence. And even though you may not feel like a member of a community at large so much, you are. Your expression is just a bit different and I actually respect you more for your understanding that the world might not be ready for your version of cute in prime time.

That said, when I think of cute in terms of our community, I think of an ideal that is oh so very difficult to define, let alone achieve. As Momarie describes, cute is all around us in so many forms. But in the TG universe, I think it's easier for many of us to approach pretty or beautiful than it is to achieve cute. Cute isn't necessarily owned by the young among us and it's not something that is best achieved by conscious attempt. Instead, I see cute as something that just happens, almost like those unexpected moments of being, when not only is everything just as it should be but also, our inner soul pours out in such a way that all can see our inner confidence, our inner beauty and if we're lucky...our inner cute.

Krististeph
03-11-2012, 11:37 AM
What does it mean to be cute? Well, cute means pretty or attractive in a delicate or dainty way. I am also guilty of trying to be cute (clever, sharp or witty) within my writing, but it’s all just an exercise in expression, much like trying to look like a cute girl is another, more difficult thing to pull off. Speaking of “pulling it off,” some dreams are seemingly impossible, but just trying to be what you want to be is worth the effort. As my father would say, “The difficult takes time, while the impossible takes a little longer.” Good thing he can’t see me now in my cute girly get-up!

“The difficult takes time, while the impossible takes a little longer.” – smart man, that dad of yours.

I write a lot about sensibilities here at MtF central, for crossdressing springs forth from numerous sensual pleasures that make us happy. I dress with a certain amount of delicacy, meaning that all of the things I wear are pleasing to the senses. The fabric of my girly clothes is beautifully fine in texture, quality, and workmanship, and, it follows, finely sensitive in feeling. Colors need to be deliciously light, mild, and soft, so as to produce mollifying feelings from this chosen (sublime) envelopment. Not many would agree with me, I’m sure, but I get this curious feeling that I cannot insult the beauty of my clothing by doing something...well...indelicate. This is when the boy gets tucked away BIG time, mentally as well as physically. Just look at this adorable dress! It’s a mind-altering experience, or, to put it more succinctly, a natural high...

It’s not even just the dressing up part- dressing is a significant factor- duh- but it’s a lot of attitude too- like when I saw a recent fender bender in my neighborhood, the two ladies- 30s or 40s got out, looked at the bumpers, must have decided it was not worth the deductible or no damage was done. I could see than talking and gesturing- the one who got bumped reassuring the other- then they were done- but not without a quick hug for thanks and reassurance! Now that’s what I call cute! I hope their kids are a sweet as they are…

This may help to explain why I’m not eager to sprint out the front door of my house and reveal my cute self to the world at large. First of all, I don’t dress my age if I can get away with it, and “getting away with it” means keeping out of sight. Oh, I have my real world adventure clothing, but in private I prefer to pour on the cuteness – it’s FUN! In my favorite outfits, I just don’t fit in with someone’s visualization of a male in female clothing – I reside in a small sub-genre of the crossdressing world, and this renders me less likely to feel like part of a “community.” I mean, I wouldn’t expect other MtF crossdressers to take me seriously as a decent representative of their “cause,” nor do I expect to meet many others like me. However, I have met one or two individuals here who are cute in the extreme, in fact I start to blush when I think about them...

Around my neighborhood- I am not out of the closet- but I do not hide being ‘cute’- helping the neighbors, playing with the kids sometimes- part of it is I’m trying hard to foster neighborhood tightness- every kid on the block, and their parents know they can come to me if they need or have a problem- despite the fact I do not ‘hang out’ with most of my neighbors- were are not friends, per se, but they are a family of sorts. Make any sense at all? They probably think I’m a bit goofy- wearing my bike outfits when I go for rides, or tights or shorter swim trunks when I go off to rollerblade 15 miles, we let our ‘garden spots’ or landscaping grow rather wild- native grasses and plants, in short we don’t ‘fit in’ to the average homeowner look here.

I’ll do stuff like wearing casual girl jeans and a slightly cute or unisex jacket or shoes when I work in the garage. I don’t think they have ‘clocked’ me- but I cannot imagine that at least the females see the leanings of the style of these clothes.

What constitutes cute dressing for the MtF crossdresser? Well, interesting, dainty underwear is a must, the kind with little hearts or flowers on it, meant to be briefly visible under the curious circumstances (pardon my pun).
Pastel satins for me, preferred

A cute dress is also a must – this is not the time for skirts and tops. Think about puffy sleeves, muted pastel colors, a high hemline (remember that underwear), a cute little collar, and an overall experience that is most decidedly ultra-feminine.
Unless something special, possibly like the attached- cute 2 & 3

Also: the little girl in this video (she starts at 0:53): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujg7xHZ-nrE&ob=av3e

Your shoes are dainty in the extreme, no heels, with a thin strap over the top of your foot, and your little socks are frilly and adorable.
Flats, low to medium heels (demure), or slides- use satin ribbon to add accents or to help keep the dainty shoe on your foot. J

Your hair is positively romantic, perhaps held in place by a band or a bow, your earrings are tiny, and your lips are the same color as your rosy cheeks. BIG eyes, too (via makeup). When you’re through, you look like a little (well, not-so-little) doll. Enchanting!
Two pretty makeup examples of this kind of fun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4-GRH2nDvw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg8HvOVrMXc

This is not for everyone, I know, but the idea is to feel extremely vulnerable by melting away one’s masculinity. Pleasure is taken in each and every thing you wear, making you feel delightful and charming, a new experience indeed if you’ve always been a hideously drab male. This “look” is very special, and worth keeping a secret, in fact I’m surprised I’m even writing about it – you can’t do the usual things dressed this way, in fact wearing this cute outfit and immersing yourself in its pleasures is tantamount to achieving a kind of revelation or satori, if you will. You CAN do it, even though you initially thought it was impossible. You feel like someone’s darling, even though you yearn for your own being to be self-cherished. Now what?
A simple fact that you made the effort to look so cute and enjoyed doing so is a very feminine thing in itself!.

This cute presentation needs careful handling. As you swish around the perimeters of your Earthly existence, twirling in place, defying gravity, floating in a pink mist, something strange happens. You become a different person, very sensitive in feeling, a bundle of emotions. You show a sensitive distaste for anything improper, becoming considerate and tactful, in fact you adore how you look and feel in this heady atmosphere of extreme wrongness. Cuteness may be synonymous with elegance or refinement, or it may not, depending on how you approach the task at hand. I began simply by pondering “What if...” one day, and it led me to try on something really extreme. I can’t walk around town like this, unless I was on the way to a costume party, but I would prefer to have a party of one and worship cuteness in private. BTW, cute can be sexy, but I don’t think the opposite is true...
A few lessons from a debutant or finishing school book or guide also help. I love the scene in No Way Out with Bridget Fonda where she is being ‘trained’ in etiquette.

Being cute involves submission, or surrender (here we go again!),
Very much!

Frédérique
03-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Well it looks like you hit it out of the park with this one Freddy!

Thanks! To be truthful, I really thought I was going to strike out, or foul a ball off my foot – I wrote the piece and sat on it for nearly a week, worried that I was revealing too much of myself…
:whew!:

I love cute; cute is underrated.

Imagine how difficult it is for boys to embrace cuteness, or fold it into their CD presentation! I’m always highly protective of this largely underrated way-to-be…

Women use "cute" as a form of praise to each other, and a lot depends upon the precise shade of inflection used.

My sister says “cute” when she really likes something, as in, “OH, that’s so cute!” I have to overcome my inherent male-ness to tap into this feminine appreciation for cuteness – not an easy task, but I’ve managed to do it over time. I also try to use cute gestures in place of the usual male body language, but it takes a LOT of practice…

I think your post if very insightful and tells a lot of us more about your essence. And even though you may not feel like a member of a community at large so much, you are. Your expression is just a bit different and I actually respect you more for your understanding that the world might not be ready for your version of cute in prime time.

Yes, this has a lot to do with my “slant” on certain CD issues, which has caused friction in the past. My whole approach to crossdressing is desire for a feeling of vulnerability – it’s just fun to go so far in the other direction that you can effectively slip completely out of your male persona and feel somewhat isolated as a result. Also, there is this need to protect one’s cherished feelings, and they come about through this “cute” presentation I refer to. Luckily, my sister often says I’m cute, or even adorable, so I absorb the comments as compliments and push ever onward in my quest to be dainty and delicate. I don’t expect many people to appreciate this aspect of MtF crossdressing, but it’s heartening to know I’m welcomed HERE…

“The difficult takes time, while the impossible takes a little longer.” – smart man, that dad of yours.

Little did he know that I was (and still am) a crossdresser, but he had a few pearls of wisdom to impart now and then – I like that idea that impossible things ARE possible! BTW, you were the inspiration for the thread OP (essay), so thanks for reminding me that cuteness is a valuable commodity for the crossdresser – like I said, it hasn’t been discussed too much around here…

PS - Love the photos! :)

Ally 2112
03-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Absoloutly nothing wrong with cute !.

KellyJameson
03-12-2012, 01:20 AM
The Lamb
By William Blake 1757–1827 William Blake
Little Lamb, who made thee?
Dost thou know who made thee?
Gave thee life, and bid thee feed
By the stream and o'er the mead;
Gave thee clothing of delight,
Softest clothing, woolly, bright;
Gave thee such a tender voice,
Making all the vales rejoice?
Little Lamb, who made thee?
Dost thou know who made thee?

Little Lamb, I'll tell thee,
Little Lamb, I'll tell thee:
He is called by thy name,
For he calls himself a Lamb.
He is meek, and he is mild;
He became a little child.
I a child, and thou a lamb.
We are called by his name.
Little Lamb, God bless thee!
Little Lamb, God bless thee!

Michelia
03-12-2012, 12:50 PM
I do love your post and the way you express yourself and think.

Me, I am just a girly girl and used to try and not be. But I am slowly accepting it and wear more frills and flowers in my hair than ever. And no one treats me any differently!

I do not know how cute I am, but I do like cute things on me.

I do not think about it much though... I just am.