PDA

View Full Version : What real women wear

AmberDay
03-12-2012, 02:15 AM
I have started the next page of my journey and started going out in public dressed. My wife is constantly giving me advice what a 'real' woman wears. While I can see some of her points and value her help, I respectfully disagree with her on many items.

#1. Women don't wear dresses anymore. From what I have noticed, it depends on the location, time of day, and the occasion. Everyday driving through downtown around quitting time, or when I go to church, or even walking their dog through the park, I see several gg's wearing dresses.

#2. Women don't have long nails. It depends on the definition of 'long'. She thinks my nails are too long, but I think mine are just right. They are long enough to be noticed as feminine, but still short enough to do tasks (buttons, picking up change, etc)

#3. Women don't wear pantyhose anymore. While I agree that unfortunately pantyhose has dropped off drastically I still see gg's wearing them often. Usually while 'dressed up' for work.

#4. Women don't wear high heels. See it all the time. In fact I am having difficulty finding a nice pair of non-heel dress shoes. Seems all these stores (Target, Walmart, Meijers, etc) sell high heels. The few 'flat' dress shoes look awful.

#5 Women don't wear lingerie (satin gowns, corsets, lace, etc. / also I'm not talking about wearing this in public!) While granted I don't see my wife wearing that stuff, I'm pretty sure that there are some gg's that do wear satin pjs, and maybe even a few that like the feeling of satin. While lingerie may not be her thing, it is mine.

#6 Women don't go all out on makeup to go to the grocery store. This I concede to her on in principle. Yes, most women don't bother putting on foundation, powder, blush, and lipstick on to go buy a gallon of milk, but I have to give myself as big of a chance on passing as I can. While I don't pass all the time, I have less incidents of getting 'read' while wearing make up; even to the grocery store. If I don't wear makeup, I would get clocked immediately; guy in a wig. While wearing makeup, I tend to blend in better. People see makeup and look right over my face without actually looking at me if I put the effort in.

I discussed this topic with my therapist in great length and she made a good point. "Don't wear what other people tell you to wear, wear what you want to wear." Just because my wife and a lot of other gg's don't dress up or wear makeup, satin, or heels, doesn't mean I shouldn't if it makes me happy. If I was born a gg' I know I would be just as feminine as I am now. I love my long painted nails, my pretty blue dress, my lipstick colors, my satin pj's, and the feel of hose on my smooth legs. That is the type of girl I am. There are many different types of people out there. Some women are feminine and some aren't. Nothing wrong with either. Guess I will just be me.

Amber

Sandra1746
03-12-2012, 04:56 AM
Just try and formulate a description of a "real woman". Pretty difficult as they come in an amazing variety; each is unique. We CD-types are also unique too. I think your therapist hit it well by telling you to wear what you want. There may be times when your choice makes you stand out but unless it causes a threatening situation, who cares.

For myself I'm taking it slow and doing slacks and tops, this is for casual places like the mall so I blend in pretty well, as long as nobody looks too closely. And most people don't.

Enjoy life,
Sandra1746

dominique
03-12-2012, 05:12 AM
I like to watch what they wear. I notice that a majority now a days wear jeans, trousers etc. But they're a few who wear tights and skirts. that's who I tend to emulate. Call me old fashioned but I love to wear skirts and tights.

Karren H
03-12-2012, 05:27 AM
Personally I'd rather not dress like a current modern "real" woman..... So what if I'm the only person in a dress in the building... Wearing makeup... In stockings and heels and a corset? Reality is user defined not what someone else thinks it should be.... Funny at the Home and Garden show yesterday all of the women in the booths were sure dressed up to the nines even if the "real" women there with their husbands to look at their "products" weren't. Lol. I'm still glad my wife isn't involved in my hobby.... It's the one thing in my life that I truley have total control over..... "Real" or not.....

noeleena
03-12-2012, 05:38 AM
Hi,

Im a woman who is different, not a dresser or trans so what do i wear, most days here at home or down the street or out in the Village 3.500 people or two of our bigger towns 38.000 & 15.000 people,

I wear a skirt allmost every day/ night, tees tops & over tops with out sleaves & as it gets colder coats . flates & or ankle boots, & my head wear most times head scarves,of different colours. as you see in my pic,

Most women wear pants or jeans not all mind you, most of us dont have make up on .
I dont, just eyebrow liner & lippy unless im going out to our meetings & to evening's out,

i dont pass or blend in & i dont try to because im well known.

1, some women do wear dress's over here, not many,unless its a do or evening out ,
i do for our Edwardian meeting's, plus 20 others, thats our group ,

2 ,nails are short & no nail pol, no point for myself as i do manual work.

3, some of us do again go's with no 1

4, some do 2 , in, to 3 ,in , heels, again not many. im in flats most of the time,

5 , i dont,

6, well now i see quite a few younger women with to muchmake up on & it detracts from there true beauty,
My self what would i do that for, i have been asked by our young girls./ women from school at the time was i wearing any make up they thought i was & when i said no they were surprised, & commented on how lovely my complection was / is. & i dont need it,

So for a 64 year old woman thats says something. olive skin, got a have something right, .a. & i worked out side most of my life 46 years,

one detail is of cause your head of hair, no comment here , dont have any. so no probs,

...noeleena...

LeaP
03-12-2012, 06:34 AM
I've seen a large change in the last few years back toward a dressier look. More dresses & skirts for sure, and young women wear them short and low-cut besides. Hosiery is spotty. It had disappeared for years, but seems to have come back to a degree. I don't see long nails much at all. Heavier make-up is common, day and night. All of this pertains mostly to younger people, however.

This also varies regionally. New England is noted for its lack of attention to dress-up and for plainer hair styles. The South and portions of the West still dress up more and use make-up more.

Lea

Stephenie S
03-12-2012, 07:18 AM
My opinion?

Listen to you wife. She is right there and has your (and her) best interests at heart. Listen to her.

S

Noortje
03-12-2012, 07:22 AM
I'm pretty sure 'women' are a varied group. There's, like, two million of them?

But seriously, the things you list seem to describe a general trend more than anyone in specific. I think most of those would be more true if they were formulated as: 'women are no longer expected to...' Lots of women have long nails. They just don't have to have them anymore. Lots of women wear dresses. It's just no longer mandatory.

Maybe your wife is just scared that you'll turn into a stereotype? Especially if you break all those 'rules' at once?

Julia_in_Pa
03-12-2012, 07:34 AM
When I first transitioned in 2006 you would never see me without makeup, a dress or skirt on and groomed to the nines.
With each passing year my " need " to dress extremely well each day became less and less a need and a want.
Now over five years of living full time I wear makeup maybe 20 % of the time and wear mostly pant suits, slacks and flats to work.
On my days off you rarely see me in anything but jeans, running shoes and a t-shirt.
I always take care of how I'm groomed and how I present but now I do nothing more than blend into the rest of the female population.

Julia

kimdl93
03-12-2012, 08:12 AM
OK, my best barometer on what women wear would be observations of my wife. Next weekend, my wife and I are going to a wedding. she bought a new dress for the occassion. At work she wears business suits and skirts...occassionally slacks, and always wears pantyhose with skirts and dresses. On weekends, she dresses much more casually, usually knit tops and jeans. A generation futher along, I can observe my daughters and daugher in law. At work - its usually the same - business suits. For formal ocassions, dresses, and everyday can be any casual combination under the sun. So, I don't put much stock in "always" or "never". I think a more accurate term would be "it depends".

Annie D
03-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Out of necessity and for the occasion, yes, I wear pants but when I go out I much rather prefer a skirt. For those of us who are not presenting as female 24/7, it is that opportunity to feel as feminine as possible as often as possible that we strive for; blend in yes but not at the cost of giving up our feminine personna. If I am forced to wear anything that remotely resembles male clothing when presenting as Annie, the jeans are tighter with "girlie" adornments on the pockets, the tops are more colorful and the shoes are anything but sneakers. Okay, I wear sneakers when I am out walking in spandex capris or some "short" shorts.

Julia, I applaud that you have made the transition to being female 24/7. It is my goal as well to someday to live as Annie full-time. I believe, in my heart, that once that day arrives that I too will succumb to being more casual and perhaps more comfortable in my presentation. I am not saying that females wearing jeans and cute tops are not extremely attractive but at this time I have the need to present in a way that is most desirable for me.

Julia Welch
03-12-2012, 09:17 AM
When I first transitioned in 2006 you would never see me without makeup, a dress or skirt on and groomed to the nines.
With each passing year my " need " to dress extremely well each day became less and less a need and a want.
Now over five years of living full time I wear makeup maybe 20 % of the time and wear mostly pant suits, slacks and flats to work.
On my days off you rarely see me in anything but jeans, running shoes and a t-shirt.
I always take care of how I'm groomed and how I present but now I do nothing more than blend into the rest of the female population.

Julia

If your avatar is anything to go by you blend very well ... you're definately an attractive looking woman :)

Kate Simmons
03-12-2012, 10:03 AM
Well, real women don't eat quiche either, but I digress.....:battingeyelashes::)

suchacutie
03-12-2012, 11:18 AM
I have learned over these last few years that second-guessing my wife is a big mistake. My wife not only is clear about the importance of each issue we discuss, but she will expand on various options. After all, she's done this "girl" thing all her life and is well in tune with what should or should not be done, and everything in between.

We are the learners, they are the mentors! Oh, and when Tina has learned her lesson well, my wife tells her that, and we move on to the next thing :)

Julia_in_Pa
03-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Ummm..Errrr...Well thank you Julia!!!

Julia

If your avatar is anything to go by you blend very well ... you're definately an attractive looking woman :)

KaTanya
03-12-2012, 11:27 AM
With the variety of women's clothing, this might be an exercise in futility due to all the situational factors. You're more likely to see a more casual look at the grocery store than you are at Macy's. If you spend a lot of time in a business environment, you're mpre likely to see "dress" than you are on a college campus; opera vs. punk show (actually, you'll some cool looks at the punk show, so donm't knock it.)

sometimes trying too hard to "blend" can cause you stick out like a sore thumb. Take your wife's advice under advisement and extrapolate your look from there.

docrobbysherry
03-12-2012, 11:39 AM
While many women dress very casually or even slobbishly here, there r still some who wish to turn men's heads! I prefer to emulate THOSE! And after all, there's nothing so VERY REAL about Sherry, anyway!

I CAN blend if I have to, sort of! But, I DON'T HAVE TO LIKE IT!

Julia Welch
03-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Ummm..Errrr...Well thank you Julia!!!

Julia

You're welcome Julia ... I simply speak the truth as I see it.

Jeninus
03-12-2012, 10:43 PM
I have observed that there is almost a caste system in the way women working in law offices (the work environment with which I am most familiar) are dressed. The professionals, the female attorneys, are almost always dressed in skirt suits, especially when they must be in Court. One exception is in the summer, when they will wear smart dresses on hot days that are MUCH more comfortable than our suits and ties. The paralegals and secretaries typically wear trousers or pants suits. The support staff are the most casually dressed -- slacks or jeans. It is probably similar in other fields.

Except in winter, the female attorneys generally don't wear hose with their skirt suits; and flats and low heels are much more common than high heels. Even in the professions we are observing the slow collapse of fashion standards, that parallels the steady decay and decline of Western Civilization. Sheesh, even our Secretary of State and the German Chancellor wear pants suits. I can remember when NO woman would go into the city without wearing a skirt and hose. Gloves and hats were also common, especially in church.

One fashion monstrosity is that certain ethnic women with enormous derrieres (frequently in disproportion to the rest of their frames) frequently wear absolutely skin tight (usually black) stretch plastic pants that reveal every ripple and dip of cellulite. Those clothes can't be comfortable, and a loose skirt or dress would hide those eyesores. Interestingly, upper middle class South American women in this area dress very smartly and usually in dresses or skirt suits. It seems to be a cultural thing and they do it, I think, to please their men.

I believe that our culture is the victim of the feminist movement, and even in France, in Paris, the majority of women on the street are wearing slacks or jeans. As a side note I should mention that the incidence of obese women I observed in Paris is far less than half what we see here. Maybe obesity has as much to do with killing fashion as the feminists. The nicest clothes start at size 10, and go down from there.

5150 Girl
03-12-2012, 11:01 PM
I think the first rule of what women wear is that there is no rule! When I go to Wally World, I see the gammit of atire. Everyhting from PJ's to yes, I've even seen a GG in a fromal gown once... She seemd to be grabbing a last minute somthing. She looked like she was definately on a mission!
Would one go to the grocery dressed to the 9's? Well, if she was stopping by after work, a meeting what have you to pick up an exta item or two...

Cooljune59
03-12-2012, 11:10 PM
I think the "rule" was gone back in the 70's I have seen frumpy in pj's to decked right out. It seems it depends on the GG's mood and what she feels like that particular day. I say dress as you please when you feel the mood.

Flent
03-13-2012, 12:15 AM
One fashion monstrosity is that certain ethnic women with enormous derrieres (frequently in disproportion to the rest of their frames)

Certain ethnic women? WTF? Women come in all shapes and sizes, and our natural feminine bodies are not "frequently in disproportion". Don't even get me started on the "victim of the feminist movement" thing…

Amber, dress appropriately for your age and your surroundings and you'll be fine. On one hand, you say you want to blend in, but on the other, it sounds like your preferences run contrary to what most of the women around you wear.

Lingerie, pantyhose and medium-length nails aren't things I'd notice when passing someone in a shop. I'd only notice the dress or makeup if there were something remarkable about it, for example an evening look worn at 10am. The heels could be a dead giveaway however. But confidence goes a long way in pulling off any look, the main thing is that you're comfortable with it.

Eryn
03-13-2012, 12:37 AM
...I discussed this topic with my therapist in great length and she made a good point. "Don't wear what other people tell you to wear, wear what you want to wear."

Guess what, that is exactly what "other women wear!"

There is no uniform! Yes, most women wear jeans, but I see a fair minority out there in dresses, particularly as the weather warms up. Yes, most women have short nails and don't wear polish, but some do. Most women don't wear pantyhose, but if they're going out in a dress and it's a bit chilly most women will dig up a pair. The same goes for heels, lingerie, and makeup.

I don't dress like the average woman because I'm not the average woman. I'm tall, fiftyish, have a few wrinkles, and frankly look a bit mannish. A GG in my position would be more likely to wear makeup and nail polish than a twentysomething would. I buy my dresses off of the same racks at Macy's and Kohl's that GGs do, and I doubt that those dresses are strictly for CDers. I wear them to appropriate events, like nice dinners or shows. If I'm just going for a stroll through the mall I might wear jeans or a sweaterdress and leggings since they make trying on things easier. That's what a GG would do as well.

Do pay attention to what other people are wearing but don't let them completely dictate your own style. If you do, you might as well be in drab.

Hugs, Eryn

Misti
03-13-2012, 12:50 AM
Re. What real women wear!

I believe that our culture is the victim of the feminist movement, and even in France, in Paris, the majority of women on the street are wearing slacks or jeans. As a side note I should mention that the incidence of obese women I observed in Paris is far less than half what we see here. Maybe obesity has as much to do with killing fashion as the feminists. The nicest clothes start at size 10, and go down from there.

I basically agree, Jeninus. But it's different all over the world. As they say in Paris, "Vive La Difference!"

As to your post, Amber, I have been thinking along the same lines the past few days. It may be because I am getting ready to spring the "finished Misti look" on my SO pretty soon now. Trouble is, she doesn't know about "M;" she only knows me as Lola ("Whatever Lola wants, etc..." And Lola is not a "dress up girl," yet!), and she goes along 100% there. But what to wear, "Aye, that's the question?" :drink:

In an unofficial poll I've been taking the past few days as I move out and about amongst the GG(?) population of greater Las Vegas, your SO's probably 85-95% right about the average GG's today's wear? At least in Vegas today, but it's certainly a far cry from what it used to be in the old "Vegas glamour days!" :brolleyes:

I think we CD's tend to overdo this whole "passing thing," and/or "GG look" because we have so many "male" faults/flaws, etc., to cover up overall. It's a huge, huge disadvantage for us to overcome, to be sure, whereas GG's, in the main part, don't seem to give a "Rat's A$$ Less" about how "They Pass?" Point being, they don't have to "Pass" at all, ever, so they do whatever "turns them on, at any 'ol time that fits them." Besides, after all, they've earned that right, they're the GG's; so I have absolutely no fight, nor any qualms what-so-ever about their dress, demeanor, decorum, et cetera, et cetera. They are GG's. Period. And, we are not; that is, until that knife says otherwise. Period. But what do we (CD's) wear, "Aye, that's the question?" :daydreaming: That said, I dearly love to dress up to the nines. PERIOD.

Soon, I hope, we (CD's) can all emulate our role models and not give a "Rat's A$$ about what we wear," either. Not very realistic, for sure, but in the meantime, we'll probably go on overdoing it like we always have??? :2c:

AmandaM
03-13-2012, 01:09 AM
I didn't see it mentioned. Women don't wear slips any more unless they're "old", that's what the young women say anyway. Same thing for full briefs, only grannies wear those.

jackswwagar
03-13-2012, 01:14 AM
Women have tendency to follow or copy the other women, but I think everyone should wear a dress according to his or her figure.

SusanQ
03-13-2012, 04:04 AM
I didn't see it mentioned. Women don't wear slips any more unless they're "old", that's what the young women say anyway. Same thing for full briefs, only grannies wear those.

Slips I agree with you. I think that younger women not only don't wear slips, but actually don't even know what they are.

But full cut briefs? If you look through any lingerie catalogue (One Hanes Place, Just My Size, Women Within, etc., etc.) you always find loads of full cut briefs in both nylon and cotton. Someone must be buying them...and I doubt that it is only "grannies". Personally I have been wearing Bali Skimp Skamp panties for many years now, and they are the most comfortable panty there is...and a full cut brief. Their ads say they are the number one selling stretch panty in the USA...I doubt that they are lying.

If you aren't used to bikini or hip-huggers, they really aren't that comfortable to wear...and the thong panties are just ridiculous...I really don't want anything creeping up that part of my body.

debbeelee1
03-13-2012, 06:17 AM
Bottom line is that if you want to see a lot of short, tight dresses and skirts, sky high heels, fashionable legware, dynamite makeup, the latest fashion accessories and beautiful hair, your best bet is to head to a crossdressers Girls Night Out!:battingeyelashes:

Jeninus
03-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Certain ethnic women? WTF? Women come in all shapes and sizes, and our natural feminine bodies are not "frequently in disproportion". Don't even get me started on the "victim of the feminist movement" thing…

Thanks for pointing out that women come in all shapes and sizes. I had completely forgotten about that. I was referring not to all women, but to women whose waist-hip ratio (WHR) approaches 0.47. That is to say, they have tiny waists (and upper bodies) and huge rear-ends and that, in my mind, is disproportionate when the Indo-European ideal WHR for women is 0.7. For men, the ideal is 0.8 to 0.9, and in both cases I'm referring to ideals, obviously many if not most people do not come close to the ideal.

If some women have a huge derriere, that's their business. It is simply remarkable, though, how frequently these women flaunt that huge and disportionate 0.47 WHR bum by wearing skin-tight pants, when they do have the option of minimizing things by wearing looser and presumably more comfortable clothing. Either their men like it that way, they lack fashion sense or they care nothing for their appearance.

Feminism in the view of many has been a mixed societal bag and a debate about its political pros and cons does belong on other sites. That said, it has had an undeniable effect on the way the great majority of women now dress, compared to the way they dressed before 1970.

Lyric
03-13-2012, 01:07 PM
That was a very interesting post, Amber. Maybe you need to take your wife to more places than the supermarket and the mall. I've worked in plenty of office buildings where almost all women wore dresses or skirts with heels and makeup every day. It's true that America has become more casual in recent years, but just as a man is never overdressed wearing a suit, a woman is never really out of place wearing a dress, either, I think. Men will always appreciate the woman who goes to the trouble of getting her look together before going out.

This reminds me of something I heard a transgendered woman say on one of those talk shows once. She said a guy came over to her at a coffee shop, struck up a conversation and asked her out on a date. She told him flat out "I'm a guy", to which he replied, "I know, but you've got your act together better than any girl I know".

Lyric

Janet Bern
03-13-2012, 03:34 PM
I really think that we are moving towards a uni dressing country.
Woman dress as men when they do the daily things that we like to do as a woman
We end up being looked at because we wear womans clothes
Not much fun wearing jean and a tee shirt with sneakers and short hair
I have been doing that all my life

ashleymasters
03-15-2012, 08:28 AM
I think it's true that some gg's aren't as iconicly girly as they used to be. It probably has to do with the fading of "traditional" gender roles. I agree that jeans and t shirts aren't fun at all. That's why I'm all about the heels and make up because the thrill for me is to be different than my usual persona. And I hope whatever you wear it makes you as happy as sexy.

Vickie_CDTV
03-15-2012, 03:16 PM
If some women have a huge derriere, that's their business. It is simply remarkable, though, how frequently these women flaunt that huge and disportionate 0.47 WHR bum by wearing skin-tight pants, when they do have the option of minimizing things by wearing looser and presumably more comfortable clothing. Either their men like it that way, they lack fashion sense or they care nothing for their appearance.

In some cultures (like the black American subculture) large hips and a big behind are considered attractive, much like some cultures favor really big breasts. It is not hard to understand, a woman who is well endowed below can bear the weight of children better and it makes sense from a biological perspective that some men would find that attractive. On a similar note, more and more black women are being diagnosed with eating disorders; traditionally their culture is more tolerant towards women who are large but that is changing, a very sad situation.

JulieC
03-15-2012, 04:15 PM
#1. Women don't wear dresses anymore. From what I have noticed, it depends on the location, time of day, and the occasion. Everyday driving through downtown around quitting time, or when I go to church, or even walking their dog through the park, I see several gg's wearing dresses.

Not true at all. I see women wearing dresses in the summer very frequently, and often having nothing to do with work.

#3. Women don't wear pantyhose anymore. While I agree that unfortunately pantyhose has dropped off drastically I still see gg's wearing them often. Usually while 'dressed up' for work.

Wrong. Pantyhose are not worn as often as even ten years ago, but pantyhose sales plateaued about five years ago, and have been slowly drifting up since. Women aren't buying them to stuff their drawers. Also, Princess Kate has had a major impact on sheer hosiery sales, at least in the UK.

#4. Women don't wear high heels. See it all the time. In fact I am having difficulty finding a nice pair of non-heel dress shoes. Seems all these stores (Target, Walmart, Meijers, etc) sell high heels. The few 'flat' dress shoes look awful.

Just simply false. Go to the mall on any given day, and a majority of women will be wearing some kind of heel. The sales of heels over the last few years are also skyrocketing.

By the way; I see you're in Dayton. There's two DSW stores near you, in Dayton Mall and Beavercreek. Get thyself there. Aisle after aisle after aisle of high heels, large discount section, etc. They carry up to size 11, and once in a blue moon size 12. The quality of shoes at DSW is also, on average, MUCH higher than Target, Wal-Mart, etc.

#5 Women don't wear lingerie (satin gowns, corsets, lace, etc. / also I'm not talking about wearing this in public!) While granted I don't see my wife wearing that stuff, I'm pretty sure that there are some gg's that do wear satin pjs, and maybe even a few that like the feeling of satin. While lingerie may not be her thing, it is mine.

Strange. An awful lot of stores are wasting one heck of a lot of retail space then on lingerie that women never wear.

The reality is there is no one set type of woman, and no one set type of dress that applies to all women.

Miriam-J
03-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Okay, it's come down to it. Someone must be responsible for taking a firsthand look to determine if the women around them are wearing sexy lingerie. I hate to do it, but I will sacrifice and investigate this issue thoroughly. Anyone want to assist?

Miriam

Lorileah
03-15-2012, 05:57 PM
I think my GF who just died a few months ago would be sad to know she wasn't a real woman. Had me fooled for many years. I thought she was ALL woman. But we heard all that blarney every time we went out, from other women. Pretty much we ignored it.

If women don't wear dresses or have nails or what ever there must be a really huge number of fake women out there buying that stuff

AmandaM
03-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Slips I agree with you. I think that younger women not only don't wear slips, but actually don't even know what they are.

But full cut briefs? If you look through any lingerie catalogue (One Hanes Place, Just My Size, Women Within, etc., etc.) you always find loads of full cut briefs in both nylon and cotton. Someone must be buying them...and I doubt that it is only "grannies". Personally I have been wearing Bali Skimp Skamp panties for many years now, and they are the most comfortable panty there is...and a full cut brief. Their ads say they are the number one selling stretch panty in the USA...I doubt that they are lying.

If you aren't used to bikini or hip-huggers, they really aren't that comfortable to wear...and the thong panties are just ridiculous...I really don't want anything creeping up that part of my body.

Just repeating info heard from young women.

Lisa-N
03-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Amber I have to agree with you and disagree with your wife. in my office the women wear dresses and high heels all the time. Also a lace camisole seems to have become a major fashion piece of women. The women in my office wear it under blouses and sweater and my wife wears them often either as an outside item or under her dresses. I have to agree on the panty hose as i have heard the women in my office complain how much they dislike them. My wife won't leave the house without make up of fixing her hair. So as your therapist says dress like you want to and enjoy!

AmberDay
03-16-2012, 12:41 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only 'feminine' woman out there!!! There are so many differences that it is hard to classify what a 'real' woman wears. It has been stated over and over again and proven that many women do dress like women. If women didn't wear makeup, dresses, hose, heels, etc then that means that there are BILLIONS of crossdressers out there! If women don't buy them it must be men!!!!

It's like trying to answer what a real man wears. There are men that wear the fancy Armani Suits every day to those that wear a wife beater and sweatpants. There are muscular manly men to skinny guys that can't change oil in a car. I tried explaining this to my wife, but of course, 'It's different'. I greatly appreciate her input and advice and so grateful for the courage, and support, and acceptance, but these are some of the things I will disagree with her on.

Amber

YorkshireRose
03-16-2012, 04:09 AM
An interesting topic!

From my observations in my locality (a small town) the majority of females do seem to go with the pants/jeans look, but you see plenty in dresses, skirts and tights etc. However travel to a larger city such as Leeds just down the road from me and there is a large percentage at least half that are in dresses, skirts etc. Both on week days and weekends. So it cant all be business attire. How wonderful a lot of them look too!

My g/f is probably an exception to the rule, while she doesn't dress to the nines or wear make up all the time, she never wears jeans, pants or even shorts. She always wears dresses and skirts. I guess I'm just lucky!

5150 Girl
03-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Well,, I just made an observation after loging off this forum the ohter day and flip'n on the TV.... I watch the Weather Channel almost every morning. Almost every woman on htere wears a dress almost every day.

Janelle_C
03-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Well I think your wfe is right on the point that you want to blend in and not over dress and draw attention to your self. But I know as someone that's embracing my feminine side I'm sometimes more girly in what I like to wear and with my makeup than my wife. She has had her whole life to be girly.

Katrina Black
03-25-2012, 11:50 PM
"Nailed" it Amber the last paragragh my thought s exactly

Shananigans
03-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Well, damn...I broke all of these rules in the past 24 hours. In my defense, I was meeting friends before I stopped by the grocery store! Do I still get to be a real woman?!?

I don't really see a shortage in any of these behaviors. I think some things depend on your occupation. For example, I must have short nails since I am a responsible student nurse. (I grew them out over spring break and hacked them off this morning). In the past, I worked in a reseach lab...so, pants were the safety precaution. Now, you'll either find me in scrubs or "business casual" stuff for when I am working in the community. Dress codes kind of suck when you are pulling 10-12 hour days. (And, more women are doing this). So, for me, my work comes first and fashion comes second. When I have time off, I love to dress girly. If you see me at Walmart and judge me for not being dressed to the nines (usually in scrubs and ponytail), I would just happily remind you that you may not want me worrying about my nails when you are in a hospital bed. The hours that I get off to sleep, I will slip something nice on for bed. But, it usually is just pulled off in my sleep. On the days I am not working my a$$ off, I'll be dressed in your feminine definition. So, not sure where that puts me on the feminine radar of "real" women. Probably just means I'm a busy person at institutions with a dress code that I agree with and follow.

darla_g
03-27-2012, 05:21 PM
i think this may be irrelevant since I know I am not a real woman. I wear what i like and what i like to see real women in.

KimberlyJean
03-27-2012, 05:44 PM
The only time I dislike what women are wearing is when it is just sloppy or dirty. I don't think anyone should leave the house in their pajamas, and crocs are the worst shoe ever invented. I firmly believe that there are more women dressing up and taking pride in their appearance now than 5 years ago. This is my opinion, the feminist movement pushed women into flats and pants, told them they had to be like men and now they are starting to enjoy being women again. They have realized that they can be strong and successful while still being pretty and girly.

Aprilrain
03-27-2012, 06:36 PM
I can remember when NO woman would go into the city without wearing a skirt and hose. Gloves and hats were also common, especially in church.

South American women in this area dress very smartly and usually in dresses or skirt suits. It seems to be a cultural thing and they do it, I think, to please their men.

I believe that our culture is the victim of the feminist movement,

There was a time when woman were chattel too, should we go back to the "good old days"?

The majority of South American countries are very misogynistic.

WOW! victim of the feminist movement, sorry we broke up the boys club Don Draper. How much better life would be if a white man could sit and drink martinis all day, accomplish virtually nothing, cheat on his wife, pinch the secretaries ass, come home and avoid talking by saying, "I'm under a lot of pressure at work honey". Meanwhile, wifey, ie personal slave, keeps house, cooks the food, cleans and irons the clothes, raises the kids and, If he's still in the mood after having poked the mistress at lunch, has sex with him.
Gosh how civilization has just crumbled by affording woman more "rights" than they had the previous 25,000 years or so.

Time to polish the model T and trade it in grandpa!

Stephenie S
03-27-2012, 08:07 PM
With regard to the OP, I think it's never wise to try and argue with a "real" woman about what "real" women wear. It's sort of shooting yourself in the foot, don't you think?

Stephie

candicd
03-27-2012, 11:52 PM
Here in Texas it's almost past pantyhose season :).

Dresses we are good for.
Heels we are good for.
Makeup we are good for. In fact, my mother-in-law would not be caught outside her house without makeup on.

-Candi

ReineD
03-28-2012, 01:27 AM
Yes, we do wear dresses, have long nails, wear pantyhose and heels, wear lingerie and makeup. Sometimes. Depending on the venue. But not every time we go out. Also, it is the younger women who are still on the market for men, or the middle aged divorced ladies (on the market for men?), or the professional working women who are the best dressed. Generally. Not the women whose priorities lie elsewhere or who are running around town with kids in tow. Generally. There are exceptions.

So I agree with you that you do notice well dressed women. Occasionally.

But I'd be more concerned about the deeper issues: why your wife is telling you that women don't dress that way, ever. Maybe she is trying to tell you something else, like maybe that she doesn't like it when you go out dressed? Maybe she is scared or feels threatened somehow that your priorities are shifting, or maybe she's not sure how far it will go? Maybe she doesn't understand why the shift, why the need to focus so much on the clothes? Or maybe she means that most women don't dress like that all the time yet she notices this is the way you habitually want to dress, which she feels might be over the top and get you noticed, not in a good way?

I'm not judging you. I understand why you need to dress and your attraction to the clothes that make you feel attractive. But have you had this type of conversation with your wife instead of discussions about what most or some women are wearing, so that she can understand as well?

sterling12
03-28-2012, 02:11 AM
All valid points Reine, and I'll add a couple of others.

Women, just like men; vary in their taste in clothing. For want of a better term, "Girly-girls" are in the minority after about age thirty. But, that's certainly not always true. Likewise having talked to more than a few of them, it's not always about "man hunting," (at least they claim it's not!) Some women still genuinely feel more feminine, and glamorous; when they dress well.

Just had a talk with my car pool buddy, who just got a couple of new dresses (and, they suited her very well.) Purchased at Steinmart, to wear to The Dances, and to wear while shopping. Now, this is a married woman in her sixties, and she was lamenting the lack of availability for "stylish dresses." I think she was implying that she would purchase more dresses, if available. She was a professional woman, and she still has a nice figure. She may not be "The Norm," but I think there's still quite a few of these kinds of gals around.

So, I think it's a mistake when we say things like, "ALL Women do this , or dress like that." "Women NEVER wear _____." After all, I would imagine that we should understand more than anyone, that ALL Men ONLY wear jeans, and flannel shirts......don't they?

Peace and Love, Joanie

ReineD
03-28-2012, 02:18 AM
Sterling, my first paragraph was a nod to AmberDay's post with very broad statements. I agree there are deeper reasons why women choose to wear what they wear.

The important part of my post is in the second and third paragraph, and I hope that AmberDay notices it. :)

Kaitlyn Michele
03-28-2012, 07:39 AM
Amber listen to Reine!!

It's a fun and interesting discussion for us to debate "real" women's clothes..as if there was such a thing..but in your marriage its not a theoretical discussion..
When i saw your OP, i immediately had the same thought as reine...she needs to talk to her wife more about this

i hope you have a supportive and great relationship and you wear what you like!