PDA

View Full Version : Wig Shopping

jasmine
11-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Hi Girls,
I'm thinking I might get a wig this weekend, but I'm certainly nervous! I think I should definitely try some on before making the big purchase, but what am I supposed to do, walk in there and tell them I'm a CD? :eek:

I guess I might have to! Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Jasmine

Jodi
11-02-2005, 09:56 PM
Jasmine, The answer to your question is "YES". Walk into the shop with a nice smile and friendly greeting. When they ask, openly tell them that you are buying for yourself and you want their help on the right color and style. They will be happy to help you. Wig shops sell to cd's all the time. You will not be the first one in there. By being open and honest, the staff can do their job on helping you. Relax and enjoy the experience.

Jodi

TGMarla
11-02-2005, 10:01 PM
I did just that, sort of, last January. I went into a wig shop, and browsed a bit. These places generally aren't large, and this one was downright tiny. I mumbled something about feeling a bit uncomfortable in there to the lady who ran the place, and she smiled back at me and asked, "Why?" I told her that I was interested in a brunette wig, and she dropped the bomb on me: "Would you like to try it on?" My heart just started racing, and I thought to myself, "Why not? I'm obviously not fooling her." So I told her "Sure", and she led me into a small room with privacy doors. She took the wig I had picked out, and did some work on it. She came in and placed it on my head, worked with it a bit more, and asked me how I liked it. How was the length? Is the color right?

All in all, she treated me with kindness and respect. The next time I purchase a wig, she will get my repeat business. To this day, I feel a debt of gratitude to her. She made me feel GOOD!

So in essence, Jasmine, the answer to your question is yes. Just walk in there and act like you're a regular customer. She'll know why you're buying it. And you might just enjoy the experience.

tifftg
11-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Jasmine, you are probably not the first crossdresser they have helped. You may find once you open up that they will tell you about many other "girls" that they help. But I understand you caution and concern so how about this tiny little first step to make yourself that much more comfortable. Call first, if you like from a pay phone (oh what we do once the paranioa kicks in) and ask if they are comfortable working with the transgender community. Odds on they will say yes and you will feel ready to walk in, on the odd chance they say no, then no discomfort on your part.

It is the best way to chose the right color and style for you. See photos from a recent trip I took in Chicago.

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=253489&postcount=1

Have fun, you will look so much better if you do try them on.

Hugs,

Tiffany

Paula Rae
11-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Hey Jasmine,

Thank you for posting this thread. I too want to buy a wig this weekend, and I'm just as nervous as you. I'm going to take the advice of Jodie, Marla and Tiff, thank you Ladies for your sound advice.

Ricki B

Marlena Dahlstrom
11-03-2005, 01:49 AM
You may want to call ahead. As mentioned, wig shops do get a lot of business from CDs, but there are a few that aren't comfortable with them. Plus, if you're self-conscious, they may be willing to schedule a time when you can come in alone.

You may want to look online as well, if nothing else it will give you an idea of what styles are available. Wig Salon (http://www.wigsalon.com) and Wilshire Wigs (http://www.wilshirewigs.com) are two places I've bought from that are good, although I'm sure there are other places people will recommend as well. In person costs more, but you're getting personal service.

FYI, mono-top wigs, which are more costly, generally aren't worth the extra money unless you're bald. The difference in construction looks more nature if you're bald and mono-tops are mostly used by women undergoing chemotherapy. Human hair wigs are really expensive and not worth buying if you're a CD. Plus they have to be styled like regularly hair, which is pain. (Synthetic wigs come pre-styled.)

A good quality will cost at least $80. Below that are second-tier brands, and below that is generally considered "party wig" territory and those wigs tend to look "wiggy" and don't last that long.

Wigs need a special shampoo, so be sure to pick some up while you're there. Depending how long and where you wear your wig, they should be washed regularly. The shop can suggest how often.

Finally, some wigs may need a little trimming to look their best on you. The shop may be able to do this themselves, or suggest a place you can take it.

Billijo49504
11-03-2005, 10:00 AM
As was said, some stores deal with cancer patients only. They are extremely expensive, The insurance companies pay for them. Also, you might want to go to the store on a week day, instead of on the weekend. That way there are less people out shopping. Another place to look for wigs is the costume shops. Good luck and have fun. A girl getting her first wig should be a happy experiance...BJ

Maude
11-03-2005, 10:22 AM
i take a GG friend with me
it seems to disarm the people that are uncomfortable ?

m

Jesse69
11-03-2005, 11:16 PM
You should have bought a wig before Halloween with the excuse it was for Halloween. That's what I did last Saturday buying 2 wigs from my 1st wig store. Better wigs than what's on ebay and cheaper!

Rachel Morley
11-03-2005, 11:21 PM
Here's what my wife Marla did for me. Seriously, wig shops are totally ok with cders. The following is exactly how it happened.

http://crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11326

http://crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11789

LindaC
11-04-2005, 09:17 AM
If you ever get to Chicago, I suggest you check out Custom Wigs(about 4300 N Milwaukee Ave). Very helpful and friendly. Just walk in.

Sam-antha
11-04-2005, 03:37 PM
Fine to read that some gurls get into the shop somehow.. perhaps by falling thru the door in a hurry not to go through it.
But there are no replies from the UK... what do you lot do..
I bought Mail order.. coward, although my wife did have one that she never used from years ago and that served for a long time.
Thanks

Deidra Cowen
11-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Like Tiff said call ahead! Find out if they are ok with CDs then make sure they have private fitting booths or areas. I am pretty brave...but sitting in the middle of the shop putting on and taking off wigs in front of an audiance is no fun! (yeah done that been there! :eek: )

hidden passion
11-04-2005, 03:55 PM
What kind of hair length do most of you have?

I look like a normal lawyer-type, somewhat short on the sides, part on the side. Lately I've been coloring my hair, lightend it up a lot and am thinking about going blonde. I was dark brown, but since I have an olive complexion and a 5-o'clock shadow at 9-o'clock, I don't think being blonde would work.

Paula Rae
11-04-2005, 06:48 PM
Hey Ladies,

I did it today. One our members "Mitzi" read this thread, saw my response and was kind enough to PM me, she recommended a wig shop in Oakland, told me the service and quality were very good and the prices were reasonable.

I jumped on a BART (rapid transit train) and checked it out. Everything she told me was true.
The owner helped me pick out a very nice human hair wig, showed my how to put it on and how to adjust it, the whole works. I was so pleased and happy, and I was enjoying myself so much, I didn't want the good feelings to end, so I said to myself: "Why not" so we went through the whole routine again. Two hours later I walked out, happy as a lark, with two very nice wigs, and the total cost was only $165.00.

Ricki B

tifftg
11-04-2005, 07:26 PM
What kind of hair length do most of you have?

I look like a normal lawyer-type, somewhat short on the sides, part on the side. Lately I've been coloring my hair, lightend it up a lot and am thinking about going blonde. I was dark brown, but since I have an olive complexion and a 5-o'clock shadow at 9-o'clock, I don't think being blonde would work.

I have the same problem with 5 o'clock shadow big time. I never thought I could get a blonde wig to work and most don't but when it is highlighted I think I look ok. Give it a try.

Tiff

Marlena Dahlstrom
11-04-2005, 08:13 PM
So Ricki, for us Bay Area gals, what's the name of the shop?

And where are the pictures? :D

Paula Rae
11-04-2005, 08:29 PM
Hey Darla and all you other beautiful Ladies,

According to the Owner: All wigs are on sale now (November)
The House of Wigs
1631 Telegraph Ave
Oakland CA 94612
Pictures will be coming this weekend, should have been tonight, BUT when I looked in the mirror, the wig without lipstick and whatever else I need, is going to cause a slight delay. I'm on my way to Long's (Drug Store) now.

Love you all

Ricki B

Paula Rae
11-07-2005, 01:51 AM
Hey Ladies,

Bought the wigs,
Took the pictures,
Come see the "New Me"
At the Photo Gallery the thread is called "Ricki Panicked"

Love you all, Ricki B

jasmine
11-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Girls, you are the best!! Thanks so much for all your encouraging advice. Living the Chicago area, I think my best bet is the place mentioned by Linda!

Wish me luck! If not this weekend, then for sure next. I'll keep you posted :)

Jasmine