PDA

View Full Version : An Indiana group?

Ramie
03-13-2012, 02:59 PM
So here would be my very first question, and it's a big one. With groups in Chicago, southern Indiana, and other not to distant places, what happened to northwest Indiana? There was a group a few years back, but it's gone now. So how exactly would one go about starting a group, meeting the people, and so forth? Would it even be possible? Any thoughts or suggestions?

kimmy p
03-13-2012, 04:27 PM
So here would be my very first question, and it's a big one. With groups in Chicago, southern Indiana, and other not to distant places, what happened to northwest Indiana? There was a group a few years back, but it's gone now. So how exactly would one go about starting a group, meeting the people, and so forth? Would it even be possible? Any thoughts or suggestions?

I would like information myself. I'm in South bend/Mishawaka. I'm not sure if I would have the guts to go to a meeting or not, but the option to choose would be nice.

Miriam-J
03-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Perhaps we need our own Northern Indiana group. I'm planning to start visiting the IXE group in Indy, but Mishawaka would be much more convenient since I come there a lot - especially in the summer. Could always just get together amongst ourselves in the meantime.

Miriam

AllisonK
03-13-2012, 05:21 PM
I am north of Indy myself...I don't really want to drive to Indy as it would take me just over an hour to get there. I looked around for something closer but didn't find anything. I would go to a meeting if I didn't have to go quite so far.

Ramie
03-13-2012, 09:09 PM
So then so far we've decided there is a void to be filled with starting some kind of group, right?

Miriam-J
03-13-2012, 09:14 PM
There's certainly a void in Northern Indiana. If we'd like to move forward with something, we probably need to work it away from this forum. I'd be willing to be a part, but we need to work this out via private messaging followed by event announcements.

Miriam

Kelly Greene
03-14-2012, 12:24 AM
If someone is going to start something in Northern Indiana, please let me know I am interested.

Ramie
03-14-2012, 04:26 PM
I can agree to a more private forum for the whole planning part, I'm currently trying to put all my ducks in a row so I have something separate from man-me. Just let me know!

Miriam-J
03-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Ramie, this will work much better if you change your settings so you can receive private messages.

SupportiveSO
03-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Well, I am -VAIN-'s SO, so if you do make this group, I'd like to ask a favor...could it include SO's please??? I want to be supportive and attend with her if possible! Plus I could still use lots of education on everything she faces as a CD. Let us know if anything develops please :)

RADER
03-14-2012, 09:53 PM
I am in Far Northern Illinois; I wish there was a group near me, I would love to go
and see/talk with others like myself.
Rader

rocketscientist
03-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Hi! I am not too far from South Bend either. I have been to the group up in Grand Rapids before, but it's a long drive up there for me and I could never make it during the weekdays. A group closer would be nice, but ya gotta make sure you got everyone on the same page. Whoever takes this on would need to devote a lot of time and effort into making sure everything works smoothly. Good luck, Tonya

Ressie
03-15-2012, 07:58 AM
I'm in SW Michigan. Grand Rapids and South Bend are about the same distance for me.

Miriam-J
03-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Well, I am -VAIN-'s SO, so if you do make this group, I'd like to ask a favor...could it include SO's please??? I want to be supportive and attend with her if possible! Plus I could still use lots of education on everything she faces as a CD. Let us know if anything develops please :)
My wife would definitely want to be part of this as well. Since I'm trying to get the ball going (wrote to the first few on this thread already), I'll definitely include you. Where would we be without you anyway?

Miriam

Ramie
03-15-2012, 03:19 PM
I would have to agree here,wives, SO's, heck, even a close friend that helped by listening and understanding! All are important whether they are in the process of coming around slowly, like my wife, are totally accepting, or are just open to new things. Most of my support has been in the more recent years, so this is where I got the guts to ask a simple question. So far, Mary came up with the best answer ever, "No current group in northern Indiana, to heck with that, let's make one!"

By the way Mary, is it just me or is South Bend coming up a whole lot?

KristiKross
05-16-2012, 01:49 PM
So is this going any where or did it just fade away....

Is there a group thats going to meet in northern IN.

Kelly Greene
05-18-2012, 01:35 PM
To date we have not been able to get anything going, however I did find out about a group called Michiana Transgender alliance that meets at the Michiana GLBT center on Mishawaka avenue in South Bend on the second Wednesday of the month from 7 to 9 pm. I plan on attending the July meeting anything sooner conflicts with school.

Ramie
05-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Yes, this whole thing kind of fellmapartmbeforemit could get started. Since I'm in northwest Indiana and close to Chicago that would make sense, but honestly I would rather something be around here still.

Nicole Erin
05-18-2012, 03:18 PM
For other Indiana groups, I don't know other than the couple in Indy but one person you could ask on here is Shannondragon, she might know if there are groups in NW or wherever. She seems to be on the up-and-up with happenings in the TG community.

For starting a group, maybe take an ad in whatever alternative newspaper, say like Nuvo, if they have it there.