PDA

View Full Version : Showing off

Marlena Dahlstrom
11-03-2005, 01:11 AM
Since I can finally bend my knee enough to sit in the chair, I saw my hairstylist for a long overdue haircut and highlights (she persuaded me to do subtle highlights awhile back and I love them). While she was working on me the subject of Halloween costumes came up and I mentioned that I'd gone in drag.

The male stylist and his client perked up their ears and joined in the conversation. The stylist (not gay, has two sons) talked about how he and a friend did a rather campy drag for Halloween a few years ago. His client, a woman in her 60s, thought it was a hoot. I told them a friend had done my make-up (which is true, the avatar photos has eyes by MAC) and that I'd shaved my legs too. The old lady got a special kick out of that and said my friend should've waxed me to give the full experience. Both of them really wanted to see pictures but unfortunately, I didn't have photos with me.

But while I was having my hair cut, I realized the salon had a nail station, so I asked if I could set up an appointment for a pedicure -- since I haven't been able to reach my toes easily on the hurt leg, I haven't been able to cut my toenails for more than month :eek: and things were getting a bit gnarly. They couldn't do an appointment right after my hair was finished, so I needed to come back a little later, which gave me time to run home and print out two photos (my avatar and a full-length shot of me in the same outfit).

Came back and showed the photos to people. Choruses of OMG started to fill the room. People couldn't believe it was me. The male stylist got a total kick out of it. He showed it to another stylist telling her the photos were of my sister. She looked at the full-length shot for a bit and then realized it was me in drag, but then she still thought my avatar photo was my "sister" and it took a bit talking by others to set her straight. :c9: One of the stylists said I had a really nice wig and wanted to know how much it cost $100, $200... Oops. Busted. I said I'd picked up it eBay for under $100.

The pedicure tech was ready, so I went over the nail section and showed the photo there. Similar reaction by the staff and the clients. One of the nail techs was sort of awestruck how professional the make-up looked (thank you MAC!).

Anyway, the pedicure itself was quite nice. I've had them before, but I can so understand why GGs have them regularly. Toward the end, the tech asked if I wanted a clear coat or color. I told her that I wanted color -- after all why should women have all the fun? The other nail tech jokingly suggested bright red, I replied that maybe something subtler like a light copper might be more suitable. The pedicure tech was sweet but her English wasn't great, so I had a little trouble getting her to understand which color I wanted. Originally, she came back with a dark red/brown, but after doing a toe, we agreed it was way too dark (although en femme it would've been quite pretty :( ), so we switched instead to a light pearly tan color that's suitably masculine.

UPDATE: In the morning light, they do seem a bit pinker than I realized.

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/1995/toes6ae.jpg

I've got a Pilates session tomorrow, so we'll see if the instuctor comments on them. Enough metrosexuals in the Bay Area have done it that I don't mind saying I did it as a lark.

Kim E
11-03-2005, 02:45 AM
Hi Darla ~
Sounds like you had a real fun day. I would have liked to seen those folks expressions when you showed your photos around. Happy for ya.

Hugs ~ Kim

RachelDenise
11-03-2005, 06:03 AM
Sounds like you had a wonderful time! I think I need to book an appointment there!

Shannon
11-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Darla,
You're convincing me that I need to hop on a plane and fly up to SF for a weekend!
I'm happy for you that your knee is getting better, and you had such a nice time at the salon. It's funny, as I was thinking about taking a couple of my Halloween photos to my hair stylist (he is gay) next time I go in. Haven't decided how to tee it up with him (e.g., my sister, my g/f ...) just to see if I can get away with it for a second before I tell him that it is really me.

Stephenie
11-03-2005, 10:03 AM
Sounds like alot of fun. Glad you can get around now.

Jasmine Ellis
11-03-2005, 10:21 AM
Good on you love seems you had lots of fun.
Love Jasminxxxxxxxxxxxx:doll: :cheer: :clap:

Adrianne
11-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Darla sounds like you had a great day.

uknowhoo
11-03-2005, 10:48 AM
So no one in the salon saw the pix and said:

"no way, YOU're Darla Dahlstrom?!?" :p

Too bad.

You are pretty famous, y'know (as well as pretty pretty).

Glad ya had fun. Thanks for sharing the story.

Hugs,

Tammi