PDA

View Full Version : The Physics of Bras

Marlena Dahlstrom
11-03-2005, 01:22 AM
This month's Discover magazine has a fun article on efforts to design a better bra (http://www.discover.com/issues/nov-05/departments/physics-of-bras/) which might give pause to those who you who are wishing for a pair of your own: ;)

A pair of D-cup breasts weighs between 15 and 23 pounds—the equivalent of carrying around two small turkeys. The larger the breasts, the more they move and the greater the discomfort. In one study, 56 percent of women suffered from breast pain when jogging. :eek:

To best support breasts, a designer has to understand how they move. To that end, McGhee's team in Australia, headed by biomechanist Julie Steele, tags women with light-emitting diodes and asks them to run on treadmills....Breasts move in a sinusoidal pattern, Steele has found, and they move a lot. Small breasts can move more than three inches vertically during a jog, and large breasts sometimes leave their bras entirely. "We have videos of women who, particularly if the cup is too low, spill all over the top," Steele says. :eek:

Just keep that in mind the next time you complain about your forms. :p

tifftg
11-03-2005, 01:27 AM
Girl, where your mind takes you is just amazing. What are you going to find next for us, always interesting.

Tiff

DawnRodgers
11-03-2005, 02:39 AM
The weight of real breasts is a problem that I would just love to have. Yes, I hear complaints from the GG side but, gosh, it would be fantastic to feel that weight pulling on my chest. To have acyual deep cleavage. To feel them bounce as I walk and run. To just feel them. Any dqy, any time, any way.
Dawn

Faye Emmette
11-03-2005, 03:15 AM
Whereabouts in Australia? I'd like to have some input into the study.:D

RachelDenise
11-03-2005, 06:00 AM
Very interesting! I'd volunteer to have some DD's put in and they can test me!

Cheery GG
11-03-2005, 07:25 AM
HI girls...as a gg with DD's, i just have to add my twopenneth here.

Sleeping, running, walking, bending stretching, reaching things in high cupboards....any activity that invloves movement has to been thoroughly analysed before carrying through.

Im not able to run for the bus, i have constant back ache, i cant sleep on my tummy, i struglle to paint my toe nails, where the hell do i put my tits for god sake if my knee is on my chest ?????

All in all have big boobs is not good. Most men gawp and have a conversation with them instead of my face, at the end of the day im not a sex object (although Lisa, My So may disagree with that on occasion !).

This isnt meant to be a dig, merely to let you know that with every positive thought on big boobs there is a negative too. Oh, and bras to fit me are bloody uncomfortable too, i would love to buy something lacy, sexy but there just not available.

Lisa (My So) would laugh at this post, as whenever i have been plyed with alcohol i am always quite happy to get them out.....for ANYONE !, So in fact maybe in my warped little mind i love 'em.........just wish they didnt weigh so much !!!!!!!!!

cheery
xx

Cheery GG
11-03-2005, 07:27 AM
Oh bye the way darla........i love your new avatar, your looking fabulous....mwah !

cheery
xx

TGMarla
11-03-2005, 09:28 AM
CheeryGal makes a good point here, and adds some sobering thoughts and reality to what is a fantasy for most of us here. I find myself agreeing in large part with Dawn, but I do not wish for DD's. Some normal C's would be just fine. Women with very large breasts are worth a smile and a fantasy or two for most men, but they have all the problems CheeryGal makes, and furthermore, she didn't even mention the trouble she has finding clothes that fit her well. Most women's clothing is made to fit women with normal B or C breasts. Any larger, the dress doesn't hang right, the blouse pops open at the third button, the sweater stretches too much or rides up in front, and on and on. Remember that your fantasies are fun for the short term, but reality is a different thing altogether. Do I hit the mark here, CheeryGal? Do I at least pepper the target?

Cheery GG
11-03-2005, 10:42 AM
spot on marla....buying clothes is tricky for any girl with ample to show....fortunately though i do have some insight into what suits me best and i dont mind in showing off my boobs as long as its classy. (know what i mean !)

I guess though, all moaning aside, i do have the perfect hour glass figure so can get away with tight thsirts and jeans as well.....(sorry had to get that one in )

cheery
xx

Jenny Beth
11-03-2005, 11:24 AM
My two penneth too. My daughter is currently in consultation with a surgeon for breast reduction. As well as the discomforts that Cheery mentions my daughter also has some issues with people who stare and make her feel very self-conscious to the point she won't leave the house unless she has to. While many of us would love to be "endowed" the fact remains that for many women there is a high cost. It's just tough to see her go through this.

Marlena Dahlstrom
11-03-2005, 11:28 AM
Not moaning at all, Cheery. (BTW, thanks!) One of my dearest friends is a 32D -- which makes it tough for her to find bras in that size. We're like an old married couple, so I've heard all about the sort of problems you've talked about. On the plus side, she also enjoys showing them off. (She's an ex-dancer, so she's willowly except on top and can definitely make the guys drool.) But overall, she's seriously been considering breast reduction surgery.

Cheery GG
11-03-2005, 11:51 AM
If i was ever gonna consider a breast reduction, i would also need head to toe lipo, my body at the moment is consistent, in other words im a big girl all over so i dont lok out of proportion.....if anyone is offering lipo, i am a willing candidate, LOL

c
xx

Tamara Croft
11-03-2005, 11:53 AM
Ya know I have size D's and I was only saying to my mum today how I'd love to have a reduction because they really give me hell :( They are heavy at the best of times, but when it comes to my 'monthly' they swell up even more, the pain is awful and I just want to get a knife and chop them off :(

Not only is the weight a pain, but buying clothes is even worse. I'd love to be able to buy the same size tops as I do bottoms, but alas, this will never happen :cry:

Jenny Beth
11-03-2005, 12:17 PM
As my wife likes to say, I only get the fun part of being a girl. She's right of course!

Cheery GG
11-03-2005, 12:30 PM
jenny beth....i couldnt have said it better myself.....why dont we throw in a few heavy periods, and back ache....mood swings, and headaches as well, just for the hell of it ?????

cheery
xx

Jenny Beth
11-03-2005, 01:04 PM
Ah yes Cheery, that would certainly add weight to the old saying "Walk a mile in my shoes". I wonder how many of us could really cope with what men never have to think about. :(

Cheery GG
11-03-2005, 01:09 PM
Im only messing with ya really, but it does cross my mind....if onyl you really knew, you'd soon leap to the other side of the fence pretty damm quick i reckon....

I dont mean to offend anyone by the way with that comment....

cheery
xx

Jenny Beth
11-03-2005, 01:39 PM
You haven't offended me...I knew you were being a bit tongue in cheek. That's what's so great about a place like this...we can add some humour to what for some is a very difficult subject. Now if I could only remember where I left my purse.........:strugglin

Cheery GG
11-03-2005, 02:13 PM
ROFL....wicked.....after i put that post i though oh hell ive gone and done it again, opened my big gob and upset the nation !

I tink we all need to find a way to laugh at ourselves, its what keeps most of us going, that and alcohol of course.....

Now i must go and locate my vibrator.....think i left it on the bus !

cheery
xx

Jenny Beth
11-03-2005, 02:33 PM
First off apologies to Darla.....we have successfully hijacked her thread. :hiding: ......something about better bras I think. Secondly no comment on your bus ride.....the moderators are now watching this thread...
:lol2: