PDA

View Full Version : Not fitting the stereotype

ashleymasters
03-16-2012, 10:47 AM
So I have said it before but I want to put it out now. Just because I like to look sexy in a dress and heels doesn't make me weak. I am in the army and today I was paid a great compliment as a soldier and a fighting man. I like to crossdress and I am still a virile strong man. We are not defined by the "norms" but by our character!

Karren H
03-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Stereotypes are so over rated!! So is worrying about what other people think.

sissystephanie
03-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Ashley, I commend you for being in the Army. I spent 4 years in the U.S.Navy during the Korean war, and was a CD at the time. Of course I could not dress when aboard ship, but there always enough time to do so otherwise. As Karren said, don't worry about stereotypes or what others think. Be your own person and do what makes you happy!

Marleena
03-16-2012, 11:12 AM

Karren has the right attitude again. I wish I was more like her.

Ashley you have nothing to prove. A lot of very masculine men put on a dress, it does not make one weak but probably stronger. Don't worry about what "they" think.:)

Foxglove
03-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Nobody would ever pay me a compliment as a "soldier and fighting man". That's about as far from my character as you could get. (And no, I'm not a wimp. I'm just sensitive. OK, maybe I am a wimp.) But on the other hand, given that I'm still very much in the closet, I don't think anyone who knew me would suspect that I'm TG. Being TG is like being a member of any other group: there's all sorts of variation, and there's room aboard for everybody. The same is true of society in general. I think perhaps the concept of "norms" was invented by somebody who knew he/she didn't really fit into them. Otherwise, why worry about it so much?

When I was at the university, a lot of people were joining sororities and fraternities and buying shirts proudly displaying the Greek letters that made up the names of their groups. I bought a shirt and had some letters put on it: Gamma, Delta, Iota. I've always been a G-- D-- Independent and proud of it.

Best wishes, Annabelle

Kate Simmons
03-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Absolutely Ashley, I couldn't agree more.:):thumbsup:

docrobbysherry
03-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Congrats on your service award! Just "be who u r", Ashley! Then, I predict you'll live a happy life!

My time in the service was difficult enuff without dealing with homophobes! Fortunately, my dressing didn't start until many years later! U sound like u know how protect yourself.

Laura912
03-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Thank you for being in service for this country.

Lyric
03-16-2012, 05:07 PM
"Weak?"

While it's true that women often have less physical strength than men, I believe it ends there. Women are pretty well known for their ability to tolerate pain and for their strength of character. I think it's always been a male-perpetrated gesture of domination to call women "the weaker sex". When people see me as a woman it just makes me proud and more respectful of my favorite gender.

Lyric

RenneB
03-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Thanks for your service girl. I did my time in the army during the cold war and made it out with most of my wits. Not all of them mind you, just most of them. Due to the mos I had to keep Renne at bay, but during leave she was really out and about having a blast....

Thanks again...

Renne....

Genny B
03-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Actually, so many of us are prior service, many retired, you are like most of us. So if most of us don't fit the sterotype, would that be a surprise?

ashleymasters
03-16-2012, 10:12 PM
It's true that even gg's aren't a weaker sex. I didn't mean that. But because of my career I exist in a realm where one narrow definition of strength and manhood is predominate. And I felt a little silent justice when I could prove that wrong. That's all I meant.

Marleena
03-16-2012, 10:14 PM
It's true that even gg's aren't a weaker sex. I didn't mean that. But because of my career I exist in a realm where one narrow definition of strength and manhood is predominate. And I felt a little silent justice when I could prove that wrong. That's all I meant.

Ahhh...now I get it. Scratch my reply.:)

kelsey52
03-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Go Army, I am just as strong wearing a pair of 5 in heels or a pair of boots, for me its about relaxing and feeling good for a while. It gets me ready for another stressful day.

Anna Lorree
03-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Often, the CD/TG/TS people in society step out and perform difficult jobs in service to others. Many of these jobs are dangerous to self. I have seen it written, heard it in documentaries, watched it demonstrated here, heard it stated by my therapist, and lived it myself. I am not military, I am fire service. Knowing what it is to risk for others, I also say thank you for your service.

Anna

k lynn
03-17-2012, 05:50 AM

Karen is so right I just like being me and it dont matter whatothers think of me Thank you for your service

JamieTG
03-17-2012, 08:53 PM
The clothes you enjoy wearing has nothing to do with your character or your mental toughness. Look at all the military and first responders we have here. I read an article a few years ago about a recently retired high ranking military officer and war hero, who was transitioning to become a woman. He knew for many years that he was TS but put everything on hold to serve his country.

Anne2345
03-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Just because I like to look sexy in a dress and heels doesn't make me weak.

Actually, that you like to look sexy in a dress and heels, and that you take affirmative steps in so doing and dress accordingly, that makes you quite the opposite. You are decidely not weak. Instead, given that society disapproves, does not understand, and is mostly ignorant of our issues, needs, and desires, your actions are quite courageous and strong. In other words, you cut across the grain and swim against the current. You desire to be yourself, and you do not allow the naysayers to hold you back. You are to be commended for your courage, bravery, and dedication to self. I have nothing but the utmost respect for you, and those others who embrace such an alternative, yet individually necessary, lifestyle. It is not easy being different. It is not easy being true to one's self. Yet you are doing so . . . . :clap:

ashleymasters
04-01-2012, 04:15 AM
Thank you that's sweet. My grandmother used to tell me something like that but it was more worded like "can't tell that d$&@ boy anything! He's gonna just do what he wants!". Lol. It's nice to have that trait more nicely described. Even though I couldn't help but grin when grandma would say that either.

StarrOfDelite
04-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Way to go, Ashley! It's a message that needs repeating over and over again: Neither Crossdressing nor sexual orientation have anything to do with being weak, physically or psychologically.

I'm 5-11 and weigh 155 +/- and Friday afternoon at the gym inter alia I bench pressed two sets of six reps at 225 pounds, leg pressed three sets of fifteen reps at 550 pounds, did a dozen pullups and 150 crunches, and exercycled for 45 minutes.

On Saturday night I had a date with a man who told me I was beautiful (okay, so we all know they'll say anything), and we went to a BW3 to watch the Final Four.

I spent several years in the USMC, and my dress blues with full ribbons medals, and badges, including a bronze star, are hanging in the same closet as my dresses.

KimberlyJean
04-01-2012, 12:31 PM
If you met me in my work uniform you would never think I was a crossdresser, and weak would never cross your mind. I had a young guy stop me and ask if he could ask a question, when I turned to look at him he forgot the question and could barely talk. That personality seems more like an act or a force of nature, but it is what I push out to the world. I joke all the time about my multiple personalities. I have work me, at home me, and Kimberly, I wonder if there is a mean Kimberly?

cdtara
04-01-2012, 01:40 PM
I think stength comes from with in not what you wear or dont wear or even what sex you are or want to be

ronda
04-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Ashley i would like to say thank you for your service to help us keep our freedom and be able to post on this site again THANK YOU you are a man first and you are not weak only the stronge serve thir country and in my opinion women are much stronger then men they do endure more then we give them credit for