PDA

View Full Version : So you told the doctor...then what?

Chickhe
03-16-2012, 03:14 PM
I was wondering what funny reactions (for entertainment purposes only) you got from your doctors (they are people too) when you tell them.... 'excuse me, I want to live as a woman...'.?

Not anything to do with gender in my case, I recently was asked a series of routine screening questions by the doctor about SDT, but all negative in my case, but when he hit one about same sex relations, I said it doesn't apply and he sighed relief and said, oh thank god I don't have to explain all the gay stuff...not that it's a problem. I thought it funny because he seemed so happy with my answer (a lot less complicated I guess)... I'm sure if I walked in there in a dress and said give me hormones, he would faint... (and not because I think he is biased in any way, but from the shock of knowing you as a guy).

One other good thing, I watch what I eat to keep healthy and to dress and I was always a little selfconscious of being on the lightweight side, but he said my BMI is 'incredible'...keep doing whatever I am doing!!! (I almost told him I monitor my dress size!) ...then he said, he is really rushed because his nurse books "old" sick people who don't take care of themselves that have many issues back to back all day... I was his chance to relax (I'm not that young).

So, any funny reactions from your doctor related to gender?

Susan G
03-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Two different reactions, Two different female Doctors. Doctor number one: "You know, some of Society doesn't approve of this". Next appt., she opted to go Home early rather than to see me. Doctor number two: (I Love her!) "I have several patients who Crossdress and are Transgendered, I doesn't bother me at all, I am glad you told me......"

Lorileah
03-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Mine basically said "It won't change who you are." and then she said my color on my nails was "cute"

Niya W
03-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Two different reactions, Two different female Doctors. Doctor number one: "You know, some of Society doesn't approve of this". Next appt., she opted to go Home early rather than to see me. Doctor number two: (I Love her!) "I have several patients who Crossdress and are Transgendered, I doesn't bother me at all, I am glad you told me......"
You I'm thinking the first Dr was a just tiny bit of a bitch and imposing her social values on you. Oops you are trans and I can't operate on you so you will die.

Misti
03-16-2012, 05:58 PM
I was wondering what funny reactions (for entertainment purposes only) you got from your doctors (they are people too) when you tell them.... 'excuse me, I want to live as a woman...'.? So, any funny reactions from your doctor related to gender?

Chickhe, this has the makings of being "quite a thread," I think? I am posting a reply now so as to have a bookmark to come back to easily. I want to hear the replies, too! :devil:

BTW As one could readily guess, actually, I do have a "gender-related" Doctor's reply story; else why would I have visited here in the first place? :brolleyes:

Like Arnold, "I'll be back!" Ta! Ta! :battingeyelashes:

PretzelGirl
03-16-2012, 11:15 PM
Well, I didn't say I wanted to live as a woman, just that I was TG. Same effect.

Mine started with thanking me for trusting him and then had a run of questions that had medical reasoning behind them. Then he asked me if I was okay with everything physically and mentally and sent me off for a hormone screening. I was actually curious on the hormones, so it was worth it there. :D

I later went with my wife on one of her appointments and I was dressed because we were going out that night and I didn't have time after the appointment. He noted the occasion and smiled and thanked me again for the trust. It hasn't come up since as there hasn't been a medical reason for it to come up. Needless to say, I have a great doctor!

Diane Smith
03-16-2012, 11:21 PM
On my first appointment with my current (female) doc, she noticed my long nails and asked The Question, which I answered honestly. She's gone on to become a great supporter and I don't try to hide anything that may be medically or emotionally relevant from her. She always compliments my nails, looks after any new piercings or tattoos, and is helping in the search for a breast implant surgeon. She's quite the gem and we have a good (professional) relationship.

- Diane

Krististeph
03-16-2012, 11:44 PM

Doctors are human, alas. At least the first one had the decency to let you know (even if it was a retarded way to do so) you would be better off with another doc.

I finally found a doc (nothing to do with CD) who will listen to me- I spend a lot of effort trying to take care of my own health, but i want professional guidance or opinions as well. Makes a big difference!

sandra-leigh
03-17-2012, 12:09 AM
I had been undecided about telling my doctor, but was more on the NO side. Then one day, while trying to cheer me up, he asked, "So how would you introduce yourself (online)?" and I answered, "Well, that would depend on the context." "Well, why? Why would who you are change with context?"

And at that point, I was stuck. I could massively dodge the question ("I don't want to talk about this"). I could say something like, "Well, I'm on some sex site and I'm careful about what I tell people", but that would also have been obviously dodging the question too. Or I could gulp and say that I am online a lot for my job, but I am also a cross-dresser and so I portray different personalities depending on the context.

Well, I didn't like the idea of obviously dodging, and I couldn't think of anything else to say other than to admit to the crossdressing.

His response to my admission was, in a somewhat doubting tone: "But I never see you wearing women's clothes." To which I replied by gesturing my hands over my clothes and saying, "I never wear anything other than women's clothes." He, a bit gruffly, "Well, you never wear anything obvious."

I do not recall exactly what was said after that, but by the end of the appointment, he effectively dared me to wear a dress the next time -- as if to prove my sincerity. Naturally, that ticked me off a bit, as I dress for me, not as a circus exhibit, so the next time instead I wore a skirt. And then he finally believed me. (After that, I wore what-ever I felt like to the appointments, dresses, skirts, forms, my regular work-clothes. The other patients in the waiting room were remarkably accepting or at least tolerant.)

Reactions from my doctor after that day of "proof": an inordinate amount of time in the appointments praising me for "having the courage" to explore my gender. It got to be a nuisance, taking up time that could have been spent on other things. The phrase, "Talk to the hand" comes to mind, as I mostly rolled my eyes and tuned it out. But I never could get him to understand that I wasn't being "courageous", that I was just doing what I had to do: he was convinced that what I was doing was a choice.

I stopped seeing that doctor eventually.

The doctor I go to now specializes in trans health. The only problem there is that there is such a high demand for trans health care that my appointments are now 4 months apart.

Dana921
03-17-2012, 10:17 AM
My recent experience in the last couple of weeks was kind of interesting.

I went to a female doctor in drab, but had only been there before dressed! Her and I had not met up to this point ( she was new to this office ) but I am sure my folder, which has my fem name (the name does go for both male of female though) had information about me being TG. The last person I saw there was great and thanked me for talking to her about my preferences without being judgemental. Anyway, I noted the new doctor was (my perception only) seemingly uncomfortable with talking with me about the reason (just a foot issue) I was there which was not TG related. Next week after blood tests I go back and see her but am dressed because of meetings I needed to be at and what a change! She seemed much more comfortable, talkative even and letting me know how older ladies needed to watch their calcium and vitamin D levels as mine were a bit low. It was a great appointment with her extending me every courteousy I coud ask for. No talk or questions about being TG at all. So now I wonder if I caught her on a bad day during the previous visit? Uncomfortable with my male presentation? I gave off unfriendly signals inadvertantly? So both visits were ok but the second one was much better to me!

Additional note was the LAB I attended to have blood drawn was very courteous even though I outed myself as being male on the required forms. He politely pointed to the question and asked if this was still true without saying anything aloud in a crowded reception room. Was very courteous and polite, addressing me with the proper pronouns. So another good expereince!

Dana

Annie D
03-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Since my first visit to my physician who is a female, I have always dressed as Annie and been accepted by everyone in the office/clinic and treated with respect and courtesy. Although purely professional, my doctor has had many questions about my crossdressing and my relationship with my wife (sound familiar?) and some things about my outside of family relationships. Well somehow the conversation got around to church and we found out that we attended the same Catholic Church. She inquired if when I attended I was dressed as Annie to which I replied that no when I accompany my wife to church that she prefers that I dress in male mode. Upon hearing my answer my doctor told me that if I ever saw her at church to be sure to come up and introduce myself as she would never recognize me as a male. I laughed but really appreciated that she accepted me as Annie and couldn't see me in her mind any other way.

Ally 2112
03-17-2012, 02:21 PM
My x wife told my Dr before i could then she said please don't be mad lol .He has now known for about 10 years and has been respectful and as helpful as he can so in the end im just fine that he knows it has helped .I have visited underdressed a few times but thats as far as it goes for now

Phylis Nicole Schuyler
03-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Chickhe, this has the makings of being "quite a thread," I think? I am posting a reply now so as to have a bookmark to come back to easily. I want to hear the replies, too! :devil:

BTW As one could readily guess, actually, I do have a "gender-related" Doctor's reply story; else why would I have visited here in the first place? :brolleyes:

Like Arnold, "I'll be back!" Ta! Ta! :battingeyelashes:

I'm about to tell my surgeon that I am a TG. He should have read it in my med file (Klinefelter's Syndrome), but he only looks in the section about my surgery and how I'm progressing in that sense. This aught to be fun.

Misti
03-17-2012, 04:36 PM
I'm about to tell my surgeon that I am a TG.... This aught to be fun.

Phylis, thank you for referencing my "teasing" post, and it is "fun," isn't it? :battingeyelashes:
You have given me the incentive to "partially finish" the intent of my original post about my doctor's help in and/or knowing about my "development," so to speak. :devil:
Ergo, I feel that the best way to start is to gather (and post here) a few of my previous posts, vice repeating them herein. So here goes:

This being Vegas, I call and raise you two, J. (2) (Post #19)
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?169340-Omg-boobs-feel-awesome.-lt-3&p=2758420&highlight=#post2758420

It my be "T for thee, but not for me." Period. (Post #10)
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?169117-Low-Testesterone&p=2755048&highlight=#post2755048

Nicely done, Myojine, nicely done...(Post #15)
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?169340-Omg-boobs-feel-awesome.-lt-3&p=2757130&highlight=#post2757130

Can't pass up a good post like this one, no siree! .(Post #21) plus
Oh, but you are noticed, Colleen. .(Post #25)
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?167356-Reactions-to-breast-development

Continued good luck, L&R :love:

M.

Stephanie-L
03-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Hmm, yes an interesting and fun thread. When I first told my primary care, I was actually seeing one of her Nurse Practicioners. I told her I was TG and handed her my hormone letter. She had no problem with it, and went to talk to the doc about the hormones since it was a bit out of their experience. The doc was not comfortable managing my hormones, not because of any problems with TG stuff, but because she admits she doesn't have the education to do anything but stable diabetes and birth control pills as far as endocrine stuff goes. I respect her for this. She sent me to an endocrinologist who manages another of her TG patients. The next time I talked to my primary we had a long chat about my TG issues, she is very supportive, and will help me with whatever she can, she will do labs etc, just not prescribe the actual hormones. The folks in her office who know have been great too. The endocrinologist she sent me to was a different story however. He keeps pushing to start me on Testosterone, because mine is already low. He did give me estrogen though, but he is also kind of rude. His office staff have all been great though. My primary is helping me look for a different endo, as she also doesn't understand the push for testosterone. Other than that, I have had no problem coming out to any medical professional............Stephanie

sandra-leigh
03-17-2012, 11:26 PM
Other than that, I have had no problem coming out to any medical professional............Stephanie

By now even my dentist's office knows I am on hormones. (Dentists need to know your medications as it may affect your oral health -- and also because they have to watch out for side-effects from anesthetics, pain relievers, and antibiotics.)

My physiotherapist too. Medications can affect muscles and affect bones and affect tissue inflammation and swelling. Hormones certainly have drastically affected how quickly my muscles get tired (quite quickly now :sad: ) and that is surely affecting the dynamic tensions of my back and neck muscles.

I spend a fair bit of money on health care; it doesn't make sense to me to handicap my care by not disclosing things that are relevant to my health. (Note: my gender dysphoria does have pretty significant affects on my health, so disclosing is something that makes sense in my situation.)

amielts
03-18-2012, 12:04 AM
I guess doctors are usually professional about it, since they are trained to be this way.