PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I'm thinking of getting into crossdressing. Any advice?

WyrmQueen
03-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Is crossdressing expensive?

Any advice to start out inexpensively?

What are some good starter wigs? I have a Forever Young wig but it's so unruly.

What are the best make-ups? Can any of them hide a 5 o'clock shadow?

STACY B
03-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Dont do it everone hates us !!

kuromi
03-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Welcome! I'm pretty new to CDing myself, so I'll probably learn much from this thread. :P

So far, I've spent a bit on dressing up. I just ordered my first wig for about $12USD, and it looks really cute! (I'll have some pictures up in a week or two, when I get it!). I currently have two skirts and a pair of black tights, which I love! All for about $25. I've ordered a second pair of tights (white this time, two for $2), short shorts ($6), three pairs of thigh-high socks ($5.50), a sweater ($11), short shorts ($10), a blouse ($10), bra set ($10), and two additional skirts ($20). Totaling $74, lets say $95 with shipping. Not including my first black tights and two skirts. :P Oh, and that's all direct from China. Stuff from China is relatively inexpensive, and high quality (most stuff around you, if you haven't noticed, was probably made in China).

I've yet to go shopping in person (although I probably will the next time my girlfriend wants to go), but I can't imagine the costs adding up at regular stores. Skirts at forever 21 are $15-$25 on average. Tops range, but they seem mostly around $15 too.

I've yet to do make-up. I shave everything probably every other day, although I plan on trying Nair someday soon. That costs a little.

Basically, the most expensive part will be buying a new wardrobe. Being a CD can suck, at least from my perspective, because I always want more clothes! ><" I'm almost literally spending all of my food money on new outfits. But, again, this is probably because I'm just starting and am really excited to be able to dress up. :)

Anne2345
03-16-2012, 10:06 PM
I see this is your first post. How about before jumping the gun you tell us a little about yourself? Information is good! We are here to help, but without knowing anything about you, it's kinda difficult . . . . And welcome to the forum! It's nice to have you on board!

richelle1
03-16-2012, 10:08 PM
Yea dont do it, its very costly.. Just kidding welcome . You will see how easy it is here to learn and live the dream.

cindi cinnamon
03-16-2012, 10:18 PM
NEVER PURGE......... I mean never, ever, ever, ever purge.

You'll just end up replacing the pretty things you threw away..... with even more pretty things than you had before.

Welcome.... and don't be afraid to ask for help..... we're all here to help one another.

HAPPY DRESSING !!!!!!

RADER
03-16-2012, 10:25 PM

Can any of them hide a 5 o'clock shadow?

Well on the shaving the shadow...... Use a blow torch. LOL
Just shave real close and often.
As for the expense, well it is like buying a real expensive new car. LOL
But it can be a lot of fun.
Rader

goodnhose
03-16-2012, 10:25 PM
Lots of help here but also check out videos on youtube.

Chazity
03-16-2012, 10:37 PM
I see this is your first post. How about before jumping the gun you tell us a little about yourself? Information is good! We are here to help, but without knowing anything about you, it's kinda difficult . . . . And welcome to the forum! It's nice to have you on board!

I agree we need to know you first

Krististeph
03-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Hello, I'm thinking of getting into crossdressing. Any advice?

I'd be careful, those crossdressers are a sarcastic and snarky bunch (though we are generally supportive of each other)... I suggest a diversified portfolio- :-)

YorkshireRose
03-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Hi and welcome! I am new to C/Ding too, wanted to along time but fought the urge. Wish I had not waited so long. I've had a look at wigs and clothing cost wise a lot recently. Like with many hobbies dressing is no different you can spend as little at budget stores such as Primark and T K max all the way up. I got some spray on hair remover that only cost a couple of £s. So if you are on a budget the option is there, sane with wigs from £10.

Good luck anyway have fun!

marny
03-16-2012, 10:53 PM
not exactly like... I'm thinking of a diet...or I'm thinking of a new job. and yes!!! women's clothes are expensive and there are so many more of them. but think what you'll save on jockey shorts hon

drushin703
03-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Alright then: These are the five conditions on becomming a crossdresser.

1. Be a millionair
2. Have a size 6 shoe size, a size 32c bra size and a size 26 in. waist.
3. Have someone close to you, either a family member or friend, that practices psychiatry.
4. Have a sadistic love and immunity to redicule.
5. Be able to spot another cd sister from, at least, 50 yards.........lol dana

PretzelGirl
03-16-2012, 11:06 PM
6. Have a camera or take phone shots in the mirror!

AmberDay
03-17-2012, 12:32 AM
27 years old and just now thinking of getting into crossdressing? Don't take me as being sarcastic, but how did you 'decide' to start crossdressing? Most crossdressers start when they are much younger (but not always the case) If it is something you are just thinking about I advise you get into a different hobby. It isn't cheap. Clothes, makeup, wigs, shoes= $$$$$$$ and not to mention what it may cost you in regards to your family, friends, and career. If you truly feel that you ARE a crossdresser, than welcome to the club. We have a tight group of supporters here. Talk to a therapist to see if that helps. I do wish you the best of luck!

Amber

Bootsiegalore
03-17-2012, 12:34 AM
No, Don't, Stop! OK GO ahead..... We all have gone through it!

Missy
03-17-2012, 01:32 AM
think about it really good look at a lot of you tube videos and read a lot of posts there are a lot of good things as well as bad sides to cross dressing and if you really want to the go for it and have fun and remember do not purge lol

Vickie_CDTV
03-17-2012, 02:09 AM
Amber is right, think hard and long before you go too far with crossdressing. In addition to what Amber said, it might also hinder your ability to find a girlfriend, and/or cause relationship problems.

diannecourtney
03-17-2012, 06:59 AM
If your thinking of it, there are two thoughts on the decision. One, you haven't a clue; two, once in, its a slide down the mountain to the glorious feeling of womanhood and you can make what you want of it from the thrill of undies to the dissatisfied SO, and on to TG issues..

sherri
03-17-2012, 08:31 AM
For affordable wigs, watch for sales at places like Paula Young.

Shop the second-hand stores for clothes. This is the best way to learn your sizes, then you can shop sales and online.

Use a concealer on your beard, before you put on foundation. I use Cover Girl, but there are options. Watch Youtube videos for makeup tips.

Jocelyn Quivers
03-17-2012, 08:53 AM

Too Funny!

1. Crossdressing is really no more expensive than investing in Gold, and only requires a couple of jobs, speculating in the oil futures markets, and sacrificing all of your male hobbies and interest to really enjoy.

In order to hold cost down-

1. Buy measuring tape so you will know your measurements to help with your clothing size.

2. Start out picking clothes at a 2nd hand clothing store so you can learn what clothing brands fit you best for minimal price. Go to Wal-Mart were you can in-expensively expirement with picking your proper bra and panty size.

Also they have the self checkouts to help with that whole being a guy buying woman's clothes things if you are really nervous about that

3. Make up- This is where the majority of your early dollars need to be spent, also a digital camera is must in helping you judge what brands work best for you. Do not go cheap in this area.

4. Always remember no matter how good the outfit looks on a GG it will never look the same way or as good on you.

5. Most importantly- ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE THIS IS A LIFESTYLE YOU WANT TO ENGAGE IN? Think long and hard about that question. :devil:

JenniferR771
03-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Good question. Amber is right. Crossdressing isn't a hobby you just begin to take up. Could you explain your motivation?
Most of us are born into it. Unless I am wrong.

True, there are a few late-bloomers. No one knows why the delay. As far as I know you cannot be recruited to join us.

And it helps to be a size 8 with a good head of hair and small feet.

Karren H
03-17-2012, 09:11 AM
Depends on what you consider expensive.... I spend 4 to 5 thousand a year on my "hobby"....

Kerigirl2009
03-17-2012, 09:13 AM
My advice is DON'T START!!! Yes it is Expensive, and causes grief, Wigs can be expensive and yes you can hide a 5 o clock shadow atleast mine. heavy beards I don't know about.
If you have never done it before now WHY would you want to start doing something that can and will bring confusion to a relationship as well as yourself.
Good luck in whatever you choose but think about why you want to start???
If you choose to CD then welcome to the club, and welcome to the hiding and worrying and sorry about all your missed opportunities that you will choose to miss in the future.

BRANDYJ
03-17-2012, 10:26 AM
The OP makes it sound like someone thinnking of getting into a new sport or hobby. Like thinking about taking up golf or fishing. I have never heard of another CD'er ever thinking about becoming a CD. Most of us started in our pre-teen years or shortly there after. We did not think ablout it, it just became who and what we are.

CO_Bobbie
03-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Don't... Run away as fast as you can!! This is not something "you think about getting into". The exception being cross-dressing for fun and profit, basically, if your profession doesn't require it or you don't have a basic deep down psychological need to dress, don't do it.

wendy360
03-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Oxymoron of the year. Inexpensive best makeup.
The question you have to ask is do you have a large enough closet for 2 sets of cloths. His and hers. That goes back to the expensive part,unless you plan on going full time.

Piora
03-17-2012, 11:16 AM

First, welcome to the site!

Well, it would help enormously if we knew a bit about you. You mention that you have a wig, but what about other female clothing that you may have tried or perhaps own? Almost all of us here started CDing by trying on clothing at some point - sister's, mother's, other relative or friend/girlfriend. What is your motivation?

Contrary to what you might think, for most of us this NO hobby! It's serious stuff. As Karren will tell you, it is something that we are driven to do. Yes, we might enjoy it, embrace it - even love it.....but it really isn't something that you can easily stop doing once you reach a certain level. Call it a drug, if you will. Because some serious side-effects can ensue. I've been dressing for 35 years, and did stop for a while, but when it came back, it was like a freight train at full throttle! Anyway, perhaps you might post a bit about what has got you to this point....in the New Member Introductions.

NEVER PURGE......... I mean never, ever, ever, ever purge.

You'll just end up replacing the pretty things you threw away..... with even more pretty things than you had before.

Welcome.... and don't be afraid to ask for help..... we're all here to help one another.

HAPPY DRESSING !!!!!!
Good point, Cindi. Purging is never good. Put your stuff away out of sight and mind, if you feel such urges. STASH - don't TRASH!!! And yes, ask lots of questions in the appropriate forums. This is a support site, and a good one, too.

Well on the shaving the shadow...... Use a blow torch. LOL
Paint strippers also work quite well on heavy beards :heehee:

Just shave real close and often.
And electric razors rarely cut it (pun intended :heehee:) You need a good safety razor to get a good close shave. You'll still have that 'blue' look in those areas (see the Beauty Club Forum for beard cover tips makeup)

7. Learn to walk in heels. Properly. Not like a farmer behind a plow horse.
Ha! Yes, this is true. Heels can be difficult to master. Best to own a couple of pairs of flats/low heels to change into.

Too Funny!

1. Crossdressing is really no more expensive than investing in Gold, and only requires a couple of jobs, speculating in the oil futures markets, and sacrificing all of your male hobbies and interest to really enjoy.

In order to hold cost down-

1. Buy measuring tape so you will know your measurements to help with your clothing size.

2. Start out picking clothes at a 2nd hand clothing store so you can learn what clothing brands fit you best for minimal price. Go to Wal-Mart were you can in-expensively expirement with picking your proper bra and panty size.

Also they have the self checkouts to help with that whole being a guy buying woman's clothes things if you are really nervous about that

3. Make up- This is where the majority of your early dollars need to be spent, also a digital camera is must in helping you judge what brands work best for you. Do not go cheap in this area.

4. Always remember no matter how good the outfit looks on a GG it will never look the same way or as good on you.

5. Most importantly- ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE THIS IS A LIFESTYLE YOU WANT TO ENGAGE IN? Think long and hard about that question. :devil:
This is great advice, Jocelyn. You said most of it all for me!

Good question. Amber is right. Crossdressing isn't a hobby you just begin to take up. Could you explain your motivation?
Most of us are born into it. Unless I am wrong.
No, I don't think you are. It's true, we are.

True, there are a few late-bloomers. No one knows why the delay. As far as I know you cannot be recruited to join us.
I never started seriously until I was about 30. One day, I suddenly realized that this was something that I had been suppressing. Perhaps the OP (no age is mentioned) is discovering that, too.

And it helps to be a size 8 with a good head of hair and small feet.
That it does. Sadly, I have neither! :doh:

Depends on what you consider expensive.... I spend 4 to 5 thousand a year on my "hobby"....
Yeah, but we all know that you could stop anytime you wanted to - right, Karren? :heehee:

The OP makes it sound like someone thinking of getting into a new sport or hobby. Like thinking about taking up golf or fishing. I have never heard of another CD'er ever thinking about becoming a CD. Most of us started in our pre-teen years or shortly there after. We did not think about it, it just became who and what we are.
I've never really heard of this either, Brandy. That's what it would be helpful for us to know a bit more about the OP and what her motivation is. It's not usually feasible that someone would be walking along in non-CD mode one day and want to CD the next. Perhaps she has been having these feelings for a long time, and decided that this is the right thing to do?

Kristyn Hill
03-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Crossdressing or racing cars? it was never really a choice for me. Always felt right. I haven't explored all of the clothing and make up options yet but starting to and I am ready to spend the money. Good luck if you decide to stick with this hobby.

SANDRA MICHELLE
03-17-2012, 12:32 PM
I see that you are 21 and not married, if I were 21 and not married and know now what I( know about being a crossdresser I would go totally all in, but thats just me. It can be expensive but if you go one way, allways fem then it is no more expensive than what any girl has to endure. If you want to have to personas then it will be more expensive then just being a guy wearing guy clothes or a girl wearing girl clothes. I'm with Karren on this one, it depends on your hobby, I spend about 30,000 a year on my hobby, thats season tickets to the White Sox. As for the crossdressing, I spend probably 1500.00 per year on that.

Debra Russell
03-17-2012, 02:19 PM

Well think hard because there is no un-thinking and it's a long pink up hill foggy ride from here!............................Debra

Kate Simmons
03-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Your first sentence sums it up pretty well Hon. It ain't cheap looking good. The expense is is more than money though. It includes time and effort as well.:)

Jeanna
03-17-2012, 03:00 PM

I "LIKE" this..................................

Jenniferathome
03-17-2012, 03:06 PM
I can't really get my head around this question. Crossdressing is not like golf. Are you not a crossdresser already? Are you asking about going beyond wearing panties or something?

Contessa
03-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Welcome to your first meeting as a possible crossdresser. Some info on crossdressing inexpensively, finding clothes outside. Make sure that they are women's clothes. Secondly don't listen to me, I haven't the foggy-ish notion what I am talking about. Again welcome please find a seat and put all your books under your desk. You will need a sheet of lined paper and a no. 2 pencil. Take copious amounts of notes and there will be a test at the end of the week. Again welcome!

Tess

Leyna
03-17-2012, 04:19 PM
I'd be careful, those crossdressers are a sarcastic and snarky bunch

I believe the appropriate girl term you're looking for is bitchy.

:lol:

BRANDYJ
03-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Well now see whatcha done? brand spankin' new member, only one post, this thread... and he has not been back since. So maybe he's thinking of taking up golf instead. But that's expensive too. or fishing, nope, that's expensive too. Years ago I took up golf and fishing. But I never took up crossdressing. It took me up when I least expected it!

MargaretJ
03-18-2012, 08:42 AM
A cheap(ish) way into make up, is to buy those multi pack gift boxes with tons of stuff, designed mostly for young girls. Some of the stuff you won't use, some of it will be rubbish, some of it will be good. Just practise with it until you feel you have reached a good standard, then start looking around for branded cosmetics that you like. Be warned they aint cheap, but keep an eye out for promotions.

Heels. Buy a pair with short heels to get used to it, then find the size that suits you. I've got some nice 4" heels that feel great in the house, but are very awkward outside, so I generally stick to 3" heels.

Clothing. Shop for clothes in the cheaper outlets, so you get used to the sizing, then you will know more when you want to buy something a bit more expensive. Also there is Mail Order. Here in the UK if you buy stuff mail order, you are covered by consumer protection, so if something doesn't fit you can send it back for a different size or a refund.

Margaret

Cheryl T
03-18-2012, 12:36 PM
You're thinking of getting into crossdressing??????????????

This isn't archery or bowling you know.
I don't think any of us "took up crossdressing" just because we needed a new hobby. This is part of us, part of our lives and for many of us has been for most of our lives.
Please rethink your statement and your desire.

NathalieX66
03-18-2012, 06:57 PM
^^^What she said.^^^

Silentpartner GG SO
03-18-2012, 07:27 PM
I'm completely dumbfounded by the absurdity of the opening post!

Kayla C
03-18-2012, 07:44 PM
You're thinking of getting into crossdressing??????????????

This isn't archery or bowling you know.
I don't think any of us "took up crossdressing" just because we needed a new hobby. This is part of us, part of our lives and for many of us has been for most of our lives.
Please rethink your statement and your desire.
Chery- You nailed it...
It's definitely not a hobby..(eye roll) to be taken up on a whim..

Acastina
03-18-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm completely dumbfounded by the absurdity of the opening post!

No activity since OP. Weird approach to the whole idea. My guess would be bored teenagers having a laugh.

If not, start with Halloween and see how it feels...

Piora
03-18-2012, 09:43 PM
No activity since OP. Weird approach to the whole idea. My guess would be bored teenagers having a laugh.
I got thinking about exactly that after I wrote my post, and came back and read the OP again. If you read it a few times, it just doesn't seem quite....right. The more I think about it, the more I'm becoming convinced this was a troll post.