PDA

View Full Version : What can I do in the meantime?

JoyceJ
03-16-2012, 11:51 PM
Hello ladies... this is my first post in this particular forum on the board, but I know it's not going to be my last. To tell you about myself, I'm in college and (naturally) face a lot of debt now and when I finish up school. I am "getting by" now but I dont have insurance or a support system. HRT and eventually SRS are long-term goals of mine, but I really want to do it all by the book. Have a counselor, strict prescription, everything going into it. Unfortunately all that stuff seems years and years away for me. I'm still young, but it's something thats been wrong with me since birth. Everything I've read suggests lots of benefits by doing it early (physically and psychologically), and honestly in my soul I'm in a place where I'm ready to start.

My question is... what can I do in the meantime? Can I get started early? Are there supplements I can take that aren't as strong as prescribed hormones? Is there a way to "test the waters"?

I've started changing my diet and exercise routine just to help become a healthier person, and I know there's a lot of other stuff like that I can do too... but what about when it comes to gender?

Becoming Brianna
03-17-2012, 12:17 AM
Hi Joyce,

I am in a similar situation to you (still in college and trying to figure out what I can do until I can get to a better situation for myself)... In all honesty, you may have more experience in exploring these issues than I do since I am very new to honestly exploring these issues within myself, but I will try to offer some advice that may or may not be helpful... Because of my lack of experience, and the fact that I am still struggling with my own identity, my advice may not be as good as others on this forum...

Let me begin by saying that you seem to be doing all the right things... By the book is the way to go and is the path that I am pursuing and would encourage others to pursue... Since you don't have insurance or a support system, I would suggest that you look into counseling\therapy options on your campus... At my school, this is offered free to full-time students and this may be the same for you... I would also look into joining an on-campus LGBT support group (or one in the community in which you reside)... You are absolutely right that if you are sure of your identity as a TS then the younger you start the better your quality of life will be... Your post seems to me that you are very certain but you still must be able to confirm this with a gender therapist before things like HRT and SRS can even be considered...

Regarding supplements, everything I have read and heard about them is that they are largely ineffective though this may vary from person to person... All in all, as far as I know, they really are not worth the expense... I would work on small but significant steps to start down the path to becoming your true self (such as voice training to feminize your voice, and electrolysis if you can afford it)... If not, then if you have time, I would seek employment in order to finance it... This is a step that can be done whether one makes a full transition or not...

Good on you for changing your diet and exercise patterns for the better... I too have taken this step and it can have nothing but positive effects... I wish you the best as you continue on your journey to transition and I hope that you will find the peace within yourself that you are seeking... You look great in your avatar by the way... I wish I had the courage to go out and show my true face to the world...

Brianna

ZosKiaCultusC7
03-17-2012, 12:40 AM
Hello ladies... this is my first post in this particular forum on the board, but I know it's not going to be my last. To tell you about myself, I'm in college and (naturally) face a lot of debt now and when I finish up school. I am "getting by" now but I dont have insurance or a support system. HRT and eventually SRS are long-term goals of mine, but I really want to do it all by the book. Have a counselor, strict prescription, everything going into it. Unfortunately all that stuff seems years and years away for me. I'm still young, but it's something thats been wrong with me since birth. Everything I've read suggests lots of benefits by doing it early (physically and psychologically), and honestly in my soul I'm in a place where I'm ready to start.

My question is... what can I do in the meantime? Can I get started early? Are there supplements I can take that aren't as strong as prescribed hormones? Is there a way to "test the waters"?

I've started changing my diet and exercise routine just to help become a healthier person, and I know there's a lot of other stuff like that I can do too... but what about when it comes to gender?

I feel that you're currently taking the proper approach by planning ahead and making changes in preparation for your future plans. I fully understand your situation, for I was in school (2007-2011) without insurance when all of this started making sense to me. I spent a lot of time researching and learning more about transitioning, changed my diet, stopped lifting weights and started running. In late 2010, I was around 185lbs and as of this morning, I am at 148lbs.

I will mention though that your insurance may not cover therapy or your endocrine appointment(s). I'm fortunate to have landed a job with one of the best companies out there (Boeing) and even though we have awesome insurance, a lot of stuff wasn't covered. The therapist I went to specializes in GID and she doesn't take insurance but works on a sliding scale. I also had to pay out of pocket for my endocrinologist appointment yesterday but he was able to get my blood work on my insurance. Also, I think my prescription was covered by my insurance but I don't know how much. I paid less than $10 for Estrodiol and Spiro.

I suggest that you don't try to "test the waters" because it's a very dangerous game. In the meantime, you could work on things such as your voice, your style etc. I began hormones yesterday and I never took the time to find my voice, learned how to properly apply makeup etc. Although, I'm taking my transition slowly and I won't be full-time for at least a year, so I personally have some time to get all of these things in order. If you smoke, quit. I am a light-to-moderate smoker and after the rest of this pack is gone, I'm quitting.

That's really the only advice I can give right now because my brain is focused on my final tomorrow (finishing up some gen-ed part time) and I apologize if my writing seems a little .....jumbled. After my final tomorrow, if I come up with anything else, I'll be sure to post it. Also, I noticed that you're in the same area as me so I can suggest a gender therapist for when you're ready. She is amazing and is worth every dollar. The endocrinologist I went to is awesome as well. He has worked with many transwomen, has decades of experience and is board certified. Let me know if you're interested.

arbon
03-17-2012, 01:06 AM
My question is... what can I do in the meantime? Can I get started early? Are there supplements I can take that aren't as strong as prescribed hormones? Is there a way to "test the waters"? what about when it comes to gender?

Hair removal if you haven't started that already.

CharleneT
03-17-2012, 03:56 AM
Hair removal if you haven't started that already.

:iagree:

B I N G O !!

Not only does it take a long time, but if you get it done before you start physical transition life will be a lot easier !!

There are ways to test the waters, but supplements are not a good one. They do not work consistently, or well.

Katesback
03-17-2012, 07:19 AM
Last time I checked hormones are actually REALLY cheap! I mean you go to the doctor you ask and if you have to demand a script for a years supply. Its not hard. Of course if you go to the doctor dressed as a boy you will get sent to the therapist for the letters. Go as a girl with her crap toghether and you will be taken seriously.

Finally do your homework so if the doctor does not know what dosages to perscribe you will know what to ask for. Another way to show the doctor your serious!

Or you can sit around and fester and wait and wait and wait till the cows come home. Your choice.

Katie

Julia_in_Pa
03-17-2012, 07:35 AM
Joyce,

If you have a free or low cost clinic in your area like the ones found in Portland and Seattle you can obtain hormones without insurance.
It is actually less expensive for me to purchase HRT without insurance than with.
Oral Estrodial = 11.00 per month and Spironolactone for a T-blocker = 15.00 per month.
You will spend much much more on herbal supplements that will do nothing for you except drain your pocketbook.

Joyce I'm going to yell at you for a moment OK? YOU BEING YOUNG IS EXACTLY WHY YOU NEED TO START A HRT REGIME VERY SOON!
Do not allow time to get away from you concerning this!!!!!!!!!!!!
Time is on your side for an extremely limited time.
Growth and change potential for you if you start under age 25 is excellent. If you begin at 25 and over you will quickly lose your body's ability to alter itself from HRT intake.
The enemy is testosterone causing changes to the point to where those changes will be permanent unless HRT is introduced quickly.
If your ready to begin like you say you are then do not delay!!

Julia

Kaitlyn Michele
03-17-2012, 07:54 AM
First off :hugs:

I could tell you some college stories, but that would include me stealing clothes from the washers and dryers and waiting until 2am for everyone to go to sleep so i could dress up and go outside for walks... and i'm not gonna admit any of that publicly...

Julia said something important...a KEY BENEFIT of starting early is HRT....your appearance looks quite feminine already and i'd guess HRT will serve you well..
it's not that expensive, and it is available without a huge hassle of doctors..
you need to find that perfect clinic, and it doesnt have to be that close...

there is something called the Mazzoni center in philly...girls come in, they see a doctor, they get a prescription...I don't know your area, but there has to be such a place in driving distance and maybe someone here can help you with that..

A google check I just did for example came up with..
http://www.sarabecker.com/t/index.html

If you are not in portland, call them...ask if there is something closer to you ...
there are TONS OF PEOPLE that will help you, you have to go out and get'em

by going to a clinic or center, you may make some of the most important friends you will ever have...i wish i knew a specific place for you...but we've all been through this at different points..

you said ""I really want to do this by the book" If you find some pals, find a clinic or center, and start HRT ...that is by the book...

Jorja
03-17-2012, 08:11 AM
I'll start by adding my voice to Julia's yelling at you, just so you can hear it loudly and understand. :) YOU BEING YOUNG IS EXACTLY WHY YOU NEED TO START A HRT REGIME VERY SOON! The longer you wait the less the results will be. That being said, as we all know, college is very expensive these days and yes, you will start out in debt. Remember, you have a lifetime to pay it off. While most have a desire for SRS and FFS (Facial Feminization Surgery) they are very expensive and can wait for a little while. If it is your desire/need/plan go get started on HRT asap. Start hair removal. Start working on voice. Learn makeup and fashion. Work on Feminine Movement better known as feminine comportment. Also, if you feel that this is best for you do not delay. It will get much much harder as the years pass and commitments and obligations mount.

Just my .02 cents. We now return you to your regularly scheduled conversation.

Aprilrain
03-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Hormones, CHEEP! Hair removal via electrolysis, expensive over the long term but reasonable per session ($65-$100)/hr. Hair removal via laser, expensive per session ($250-$400, for face) but faster. There is a chance the hair could come back with laser. Either method of hair removal works better if you're on hormones. Start growing out your hair NOW, it takes forever! Collage is probably the most liberal environment, you will ever be in (unless you work for Google) so don't delay!, the longer you wait the harder transition will be. And for gods sake don't get anyone pregnant! (hormones can help with that too:heehee:)

Jessinthesprings
03-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Look if its important to you get to a counselor. Many have a sliding pay scale based on income. For me I did not need somone to talk to about something I already knew the answer to but, I jumped through that hoop... I was paying $50 for a one hour session. That meant I cut dining out once a week and a few DVD's. HRT too is doable with out insurance. I can get insurance and I thought about it but concluded it was still cheaper to pay the $200 bi-annual doc visists and the quarterly $132 hormones... Don't let finances stop you. if this is what you want do it don't wait. Because the longer you do the more social, physical, and ecomonic issues you will face. Don't be 30 and wish you had done something at 20.

now...
Take some time to make sure this is what you want. That is why I still suggest a counselor. It forces you to think and consider the situation. And even if he/she may not be trained in trans issues they should be able to give you stratagies.

amielts
03-18-2012, 12:28 AM
I guess here's a list of things that are going to take a long time, so you should start on now:

Decide on a name for yourself and start using it
Developing a consistent feminine image
Getting rid of stereotypically masculine behavior and hobbies
Developing a female voice
Growing your hair out
Sorting out your religion and spirituality issues if any

eternal-c
03-18-2012, 02:28 AM
A google check I just did for example came up with..
http://www.sarabecker.com/t/index.html

Holy Cow Kaitlyn, I checked out the "Therapists and Doctors" section of that link and my old Psychiatrist is in the list... Did my parents know more than they said or didn't say???

I really loved working with him, too! Up until I was 21. He is actually the Dr that helped get me off Risperdol and Zoloft and I thank him almost every day (Internally, of course) for that. I was almost a zombie for 7 years before!

I wish I would have had the courage to tell him what I was really going through internally now :(

~C

Stephenie S
03-19-2012, 04:52 PM
I will only add my name to the list of those who say: NOW IS THE TIME!!!!

The is NO better, free-er, more supporting, safer, more accepting, environment than being in school. NOW IS THE TIME!!!
It never gets better!!

Start NOW.

Heck, Start YESTERDAY!!!!!!