PDA

View Full Version : Moving - Keeping wardrobe under wraps

Christineblake113
03-18-2012, 08:40 AM
In a month or so I will be moving across town from one house to another. I haven't had the urge to dress in a long time so I've packed my wardrobe into a few boxes which are currently stored in an attic. The attic is my domain and that works since my wife does not know this is an interest of mine.

We haven't found or bought the new house yet so I have no idea what sort of hiding places I might have in the future. At this point it is tempting to purge but I know I may regret that later.

I'm a little stressed at the idea of having my few boxes of clothes and shoes placed in with all of our other boxes, where they might be accidentally opened and discovered before put away at the new house.

A few ideas I have are to label them as being things like auto parts or other stuff my wife would not be trying to find after a move, and even pack such things on top of clothing so that if a box was quickly opened by mistake it would not be obvious what the real contents were. I've tried to think of some off site location I where I could temporarily store these items but nothing good has come to mind.

I know that others have been through this before and was wondering what they did and how it worked.

Christine

PretzelGirl
03-18-2012, 08:50 AM
If it fits within your budget, can you rent a small storage locker for a month or two while you settle in and examine the possibilities of where to permanently put your stuff?

MargaretJ
03-18-2012, 08:52 AM
What about a locker at one of those storage places? Just remember to pay the fees or your stuff may end up on "Storage wars/ American pickers". :D

Miriam-J
03-18-2012, 08:57 AM
I certainly wouldn't include them in any boxes that might be handled by others. Box them up and get them out of the house while no one else is around.

Then it's a matter of finding a place for them. If you have a car that only you use, you can actually keep them there. Otherwise find a small storage locker somewhere, as already suggested by others.

Miriam

Jocelyn Quivers
03-18-2012, 09:02 AM
One trick I used when I was deep in the closet was to leave just enough room in the boxes to put a few magazines such as Sports Illustrated at the very top with a sports jersey underneath, then my fem items at the bottom. I would then place a label the boxes like sports mags, clothes etc.

Jacqueline Winona
03-18-2012, 09:34 AM
Trunk of your car when you get close to the move- you have a built-in excuse about the auto parts and you can tell your wife you're concerned some of them may be lost/taken as they are expensive. Consider adding a couple of 15 lb. weights to each to discourage anyone from trying to move them

Piora
03-18-2012, 10:50 AM
In a month or so I will be moving across town from one house to another. I haven't had the urge to dress in a long time so I've packed my wardrobe into a few boxes which are currently stored in an attic. The attic is my domain and that works since my wife does not know this is an interest of mine.

We haven't found or bought the new house yet so I have no idea what sort of hiding places I might have in the future. At this point it is tempting to purge but I know I may regret that later.
Don't do it!!!!!!

There's no "may regret it" about it. Take it from me, you will absolutely regret it!! I was moving out of the house (it was sold, and former wife and I going separate ways) and there was a problem with the closing date on my new place, so all my stuff was going into storage. My state of mind was not good at that time, so rather than risk being outed by the boxes of stuff being accidentally opened or damaged or dropped....whatever my stressed mind could possibly imagine happening.....I dumped everything I owned into garbage bags, including wigs....at least 10 corsets, innumerable pairs of panties, garter belts, stockings.....out onto the street for garbage pickup! It makes me ill even now to think about it. That was the first and only time I ever purged, and I will never do it again.

There's some good suggestions on here about ways around it. Wish I had this kind of advice when it was happening to me.

STASH - don't TRASH!!!!!!!!!