PDA

View Full Version : I'm done with diners!

Michelle James
03-21-2012, 08:54 AM
My SO and I stopped in a local diner for a little lunch yesterday. We sat in a booth and my seat just happened to face the door. OK it didn't just happen I have a phobia about sitting with my back to the door. Too many westerns as a kid or maybe just another OCD thing. Any way we were having a conversation about this and that and out of the corner of my eye I see a man and what looks like a mannish looking very hirsute woman or a guy in brightly colored clothes, girl glasses and moobs. Like I said it was just a glance as they were coming in the door. I made no mention of this to my SO or gave any indication that I saw anything at all. In my world there was nothing unusual and I paid no attention.

After a while I became conscious of the fact that this person was staring a hole through me. Just a feeling at first. I looked up and sure enough, not only was she staring she was pointing right at me and the man at the table had turned to look. I smiled at them and the man turned back away but I was getting the stink eye big time from the other one. I smiled again and went about my business.

For whatever reason they finished their meal before we did and as they got up to leave the woman again gave the stink eye and started in my direction, but the man stopped her and they headed out side. My SO who had here back to all of this really didn't have a clue as to what was going on.

Just another day in the life? Some kind of Karma thing? I am baffled by this chain of event. It was a non issue but odd none the less.

whowhatwhen
03-21-2012, 08:58 AM
Sounds like the guy was disappointed in his wife, maybe there is hope after all and you gave him the opportunity to educate her on equality and not staring and pointing like a child.
:)

Julia_in_Pa
03-21-2012, 08:58 AM
Hi Michelle,

I'm very sorry this happened to you. :eek: :sad:

Julia

kimdl93
03-21-2012, 08:59 AM
some people are just obnoxious. I wouldn't give them another thought if I were you, and I certainly wouldn't boycott diners!

Beverley Sims
03-21-2012, 09:11 AM
Any detection of that and I make eye contact constantly.
After a session of this they usually fade away to somewhere else.

2B Natasha
03-21-2012, 09:16 AM
so what does this have to do with giving up diners?

Michelle James
03-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Sounds like the guy was disappointed in his wife, maybe there is hope after all and you gave him the opportunity to educate her on equality and not staring and pointing like a child.
:)
I think you are right. He did seem aggravated.

Julia_in_Pa

Hi Michelle,

I'm very sorry this happened to you.

Julia

Thank you. At least it doesn't happen often.

kimdl93

some people are just obnoxious. I wouldn't give them another thought if I were you, and I certainly wouldn't boycott diners!

Have you seen my avatar? Me boycott diners?? LOL

Beverley128

Any detection of that and I make eye contact constantly.
After a session of this they usually fade away to somewhere else.

I am going through a "non confrontational" phase right now or it would have been on!!

2B Natasha

so what does this have to do with giving up diners?

Actually nothing I was desperate for a title. LOL

DCChris
03-21-2012, 12:07 PM
I often find a way to disarm such things by quietly thinking just to myself: "I wonder if their mom knows they're an [insert your favorite colorful metaphor here]." It usually puts a gentle smile on my face and defuses my desire to do something impolite or confrontational.

Cynthia Anne
03-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Do what I do smile, tell them to have a nice day in your best 'male' voice! Hugs!
ps; Works everytime!

SANDRA MICHELLE
03-21-2012, 01:18 PM
It sounds to me like the guy was checking you out and his partner didn't like the competition. Keep going out to the diners, the hell with anyone that doesn't like it.

sonna
03-21-2012, 01:51 PM
who cares, forget them! we all live in our own worlds dont make them a part of yours.

jillleanne
03-21-2012, 08:43 PM
So did you order the ribs?

Debglam
03-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Hey Michelle,

Whadda you care? If my memory serves me correctly, aren't you the girl that once knocked a purse snatcher on their a**? So some sideshow freak gave you the stinkeye. You handled it beautifully - smile and let them steam. Then go about your business and don't give them another thought.

Debby

Karenmarie
03-22-2012, 12:58 AM
What she said above and did you knock a purse snatcher on his a**????? Good for you.
Oh, by the way, your avatar is VERY nice.

Inna
03-22-2012, 07:20 AM
you have used the weapon of mass disarming , a "Smile" the best weapon in the arsenal of humanity!

Jocelyn Quivers
03-22-2012, 08:14 AM
Good to know I'm not the only one who never sit's with there back to a door at resturuants etc, which my wife also comments about as being OCD. I do get similar disgusted looks from people in male mode, however in my egotistical mind I take it as they are actually admiring my good looks.:devil:

EllieOPKS
03-23-2012, 02:34 PM
That would have been a pretty uncomfortable situation to be in. Don't you wonder what in the world she would have said to you had her hubby not stopped her? Maybe you could have given her some tips on looking more like a lady LOL!

Michelle James
03-23-2012, 03:43 PM
you have used the weapon of mass disarming , a "Smile" the best weapon in the arsenal of humanity!

When I was living as male I rarely smiled. Now as female I can't stop. The thing is a smile really does disarm some people and defuse some situations. On the other hand they may just be wondering "who's the bitch with the perma grin?" LOL

KimberlyJean
03-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Its hard not to let it throw you off but so far I just have been blowing it off when I get too much attention. I haven't had a really bad incident, but today I went back to a store I had been in earlier in the week. As soon as I walked in the door the SA said "Good you decided to come back", that threw me off that she remembered me so clearly. I figure either she read me the first time and didn't care or she remembered me because I take pride in how I dress and am a 6"1" blond who isnt scared to wear heels. But I carried on a short conversation with her and she was incredibly nice the whole time.

docrobbysherry
03-24-2012, 02:02 PM
Can u just imagine, Michelle? What a more perfect world this would be if folks who lived in glass houses suddenly stopped throwing stones? Those folks would have simply smiled back and maybe waved!

And, ALL of u would have had a more enjoyable evening! Why can't real life be like that?

Stephanie47
03-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Some people think their mission in life is to be obnoxious, rude and be just a plain A-hole. Whether the person was a man or a hirsute woman, there was no reason to act rude. If you are comfortable with who you are, there is no reason for you to stop going about your business.

Eryn
03-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Just to be a devil's advocate, is it possible that the person who did the pointing was actually TG and was trying to ascertain whether you were also?

One person's "stink eye" might be another's "fascinated gaze."

Perhaps that person was going to come over and say "hi" to a perceived sister and her companion thought better of it and talked her into leaving.

Now I wasn't there and didn't see the nuances of the situation, but I did want to explore the concept.

BLUE ORCHID
03-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Hi Michelle, Just remember that you just can't fix stupid.

Jonianne
03-24-2012, 03:44 PM
People can be so obnoxious sometimes. My Angel (African/American) and I were eating at an Italian restrauant in Richmond, VA and some lady across the way just kept her head turned our way and kept staring like she had never seen an interracial couple before. Angel was ready to tell her we would move to a table near them so she wouldn't have to strain her neck so much. You would think this would be passe in the 2000's, but stupidity runs deep.