PDA

View Full Version : Radio Phone-ins

alice-elliot
11-03-2005, 07:38 PM
Hi girls,

Having just got back from a night on the town, I went into the kitchen and, the radio was on. Some dimwit was hosting a radio phone-in and questioned the caller as to whether she was really 'Karen', or was (s)he 'Steve' making a wind-up call. He demanded to speak to the two of them together.

I didn't bother listening to the rest of the call, but it got me thinking. A big problem/issue when we are out and about is what the hell do we do if somebody speaks to us ?

I certainly can't get away with trying to do a femine voice - what have you all done in that situation ?

...and have any of you ever phoned a station as your alter-ego ?

Alice

JennMW
11-03-2005, 08:05 PM
"It is better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

-- Mark Twain, Abe Lincoln, or Ralph Waldo
Emerson (the record is unclear here)

Smile, nod and walk away!

Jacqui
11-03-2005, 08:22 PM
Speak in a whisper and pretend you have laryngitis..

Marlena Dahlstrom
11-03-2005, 08:30 PM
You speak confidentially and cheerfully back to them.

Developing a femme voice takes a lot of work -- I haven't fully mastered it myself, although I can (and do) soften my voice.

But the thing is, very few of us are going to be mistaken for a GG 100% of the time. So while I'm working on my femme voice because I enjoy playing the part well, it's not really necessary for interacting with others. I've talked with plenty of people who I'm sure knew I was a guy in a dress and still treated me like I was a lady. If you act like you deserve respect, my experience is you'll get it.

jo_ann
11-03-2005, 11:06 PM
I've practiced a lot, and I could probably get away with a female voice, but never had the opportunity. Guys are constantly questioning what sex people are, I've seen numerous GG's in video chatroom with a text banner that says "I'm really a girl!", probably because she's gotten asked if she's really a woman. If you really want to avoid talking, learn sign language and pretend to be deaf. 90% of people aren't going to bother trying to play charades to communicate. Make sure you know sign well enough to communicate at least basic sentences just in case you bump into someone else who knows sign too.