PDA

View Full Version : Trying not to lie / Cute Kid Story

Bree Wagner
03-27-2012, 09:53 PM
My three and a half year old daughter is a very observant, energetic, and talkative young lady who I couldn't love more. One of the things I try very hard to do is not lie to her about anything, but I also don't want to put too much about daddy's crossdressing in front of her unless she's ready for it and understands there might be some places not to talk about it. I'm hoping that's quite a few years off. Anyways, here's where it already gets interesting and kinda funny.

I recently got back home from two weeks at a training class with plenty of time to dress up and had quite a bit of laundry to do when I got home both work clothes and my 'other' clothes. Now my daughter loves to 'help' so when I was changing the wash I'd hand her things from the washer to put in the dryer. She'd give them a glance and say "Dis is yours?" or "Dis is momma's?" before tossing it in the dryer.. First time to try not to lie when whe picked something of mine that was supposedly momma's. The best I could come up with then was non-committed grunting. Mmmmmm or perhaps ehhhhhhhhhhh. She seemed to accept it.

A few days later I got home from work and, as always, she was immediately all over me with hugs and was following me everywhere. This day she decided to follow me upstairs as I went to get changed. She insisted on helping me get my boots off and I thought "What's the harm in that?" I had forgotten that I hadn't yet taken the toenail polish of my feet since the trip and as she took my boot off there was a big hole over my two middle toes that I hadn't noticed while getting dressed in the dark. She of course saw and said "Daddy, you paint your toes like me and momma do?" Crap, I thought. What now? No lying. Inspiration struck - distraction! I said "Do you have painted nails" as I curled my toes under my feet. This immediately launched her into a discussion of momma painting her nails as she showed me the tiny slivers that remained on her fingers. Now I was in a good place to ask for a few minutes of privacy to get changed and she happily agreed and hasn't brought up the toes yet. No lies. :D

Now to take that polish off before I go to the gym tomorrow...

-Bree

Aloha Jayne
03-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Very cute story Bree. But get ready, she will soon be talking about everything. You'll have some 'splainin' to do.

Kittykitty
03-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Teach her that it's no big deal, and it won't be.
She sounds adorable :)

Cynthia Anne
03-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Yeah, it won't be long before she is painting yours for you! Hugs!

GBJoker
03-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Is it really sticking to your conviction to not lie when you avoid the topic?

I don't get it.

I'm gonna go back to trying to beat Batfake at his game.

Barbara Ella
03-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Misdirection works for a little while, but she has a mind like a steel trap, and the topic will come up when you least expect it, and when you have friends over, she will remember something, or a topic will come up about nail polish, and she will of course remember and say, "and my Daddy has his toes painted like me and Mommy"

get ready for it, the gun is loaded and pointed at your foot....lol Ans she will look so cute when she pulls the trigger.

Babes

JamieG
03-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks for sharing the story Bree. I'm in a similar boat. I'm trying to avoid revealing the whole truth to my daughters (ages 3 and 6), but I also don't want to lie to them.

When I go to a TG support group, I'm "Going out to meet some friends."

When asked why there are wigs in my closet, I said "Mommy keeps some of her stuff in this closet." That's a true statement, but none of the wigs were hers.

When asked if I wore tights, I said "Yes, for a few costumes and they are the typical uniform for ballet class." She knows I've been taking dance classes for a few years now. Of course, I wear tights lots of other times.

I have a feeling it won't be long though before I'll have to give some sense of the truth. It is tough trying to protect kids while at the same time setting a good example for them.

DonnaT
03-28-2012, 12:54 PM
I can just see her asking her mother to put on the same color on her nails "as daddy wears" ;)

tiffanyjo89
03-28-2012, 01:07 PM
What married male hasn't "volunteered" to be his wife's guinea pig when it comes to nail polish?

priya
04-10-2012, 09:18 AM
very cute story...i guess its no more toe nail polish for you at home!