PDA

View Full Version : I just bought a dress. Do you think it will fit?

randomperson
03-28-2012, 02:47 PM
It's a size large. I have a 34" waist and I'm 5'7" I weigh about 180. I don't know women's sizes but the chart made it sound right.

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=176991&stc=1&d=1332964001

Karren H
03-28-2012, 03:25 PM
I'm 5' 9" and 175 with a 31" waist (27" with my corset on). And a large usually fits. Depending on the cut and how tailored it is. But then again I don't buy online and try everything on in the store first.

Cheryl T
03-28-2012, 03:29 PM
Karren's right...depends on how the dress is cut. The size chart is a good start, but sometimes they don't tell the whole tale.

pantywaver
03-28-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm very close to you. I am 5'6", 185 and 33 waist. Dress sizes for me are usually size 16 or 1x.

Stephanie47
03-28-2012, 04:17 PM
How in the world of women's clothing does a relatively short guy weighing 175-180 have a thirty one inch waist without total constriction? My bet is the dress will not work. Let us know when you receive it.

RADER
03-28-2012, 04:22 PM
I hope it fits you, I bet you would look real nice in a dress like that.
Rader

DonnaT
03-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Don't forget about the chest/bust size. It could fit in the waist, but be too small up top.

Sara Jessica
03-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Given the style shown in the picture, I doubt it will fit.

randomperson
03-28-2012, 07:27 PM
I ended up not getting it because it would only go to 27" apparently. I don't understand this sizing at all.

LeahCD2002
03-28-2012, 07:58 PM
Hey girl...

I think most have us have waisted a great deal of cash on clothes that ended up NOT fitting, not to mention the disappointment that prevails once it arrives! Spandex styles are somewhat forgiving too...lol.

I would recommend in-house purchase if at all possible.

I really do hope it fits you...best of luck.

Leah :doll:

Tanya C
03-28-2012, 08:38 PM
It appears that this style of dress might be a little tight around the chest and shoulder straps. Also, the waist may be a bit of a problem as well.
I hope the store allows returns.

randomperson
03-28-2012, 10:42 PM
I found a new one. This one should fit.

ArleneRaquel
03-29-2012, 12:08 AM
A few year back I bought a dress online and when I tried it out it seemed to fit, a bit tight perhaps, but it seemed OK., about a week later I went out on a date wearing it, that was the only time, it split in two, down the back very early in the evening.:cry::rolleyes::yucky:

Stephanie47
03-29-2012, 10:48 AM
If you're going to buy on line, it is really necessary to watch style and material. Once upon a time I was 38 inches in the chest and a 30 inch waist. Those were the military days of humping 50%-65% of my body weight. Not an ounce of fat. As time progressed and civilian life set in those numbers changed. Now the waist is 38 inches and the chest 42. Some fabric do not stretch. If you're buying a dress that is form fitting, I recommend buying fabrics that will have some stretch. I also recommend buying a style that will 'hide' the male figure. I like an empire waist which will gather under the enhanced bust and not hug the waist. Sheaths also work well for a frame that is straight and not an hour glass figure. If you're into a loty of padding that will enhance the bust and hips, then a dress that is more form fitting will probably work.

Jocelyn Quivers
03-29-2012, 02:49 PM
A lot will depend on the fabric type, clothing manufacturer, spandex. As I am slowly starting to learn regardless of the size of your waist, as a GM the bust and shoulders is really the most important area to focus on with dresses. If the dress has a back zipper, always play it safe and go up a few sizes, you can compensate by getting the dress altered in the waist if your waist is small.

SANDRA MICHELLE
03-29-2012, 03:38 PM
I am about the same as Karren and you 5'7" and 180, I have a 32 inch waist and 38' bust line. I doubt that the dress pictured will fit, it is really pretty though. I only buy my clothes if I can try them on, I never buy anything online anymore. In fact my wife and I went out dress shopping last night, saw some really pretty Anne Klein dresses but didn't buy anything. Wife is shopping for a dress for a bridal shower and or rehearsal dinner, she won't let me wear a dress to that, sadly,LOL!!!!

DeeDeeB
03-29-2012, 09:09 PM
At 6' 2" and 165 lbs, (42, 34, 41) it's a bit of a surprise I usually wear a 10-12 (between medium and large) women's. My best suggestion is buy from a local store and if you are uncomfortable about trying it on there, make sure of their return policy. I've been buying for my wife for more years than I have for myself and no-one will question that. Ask for a gift box if that helps.

Dee :fairy1:

sometimes_miss
03-30-2012, 03:33 PM
Women's clothing sizes are 'all over the place'; a size 10 at one manufacturer will be a completely different fit at another. I think it's to make form fitting things for all the different curved female body types; the curves don't follow an exact pattern in humans, so what will fit one 36-24-36 woman perfectly won't come close to fitting another one sometimes.
Then again, when you add in the woman's fashion absurd size numbers (really, a size zero? Double zero? You've got to be kidding me. That would mean you don't exist). Women should have clothes with numbers that fit their measurements. But I guess they like to pretend that they're petite, rather than say, wear a size 98 bra and have a size 62 waist, not to mention those 110 sized hips. After all, huge numbers don't allow the illusion of feeling skinny.
That said, all you can do is either try it on, or order it and hope for the best. Usually if you're ordering online they give guidelines as to the manufacturer's suggested sizes for your measurements.

docrobbysherry
03-30-2012, 07:26 PM
I found a new one. This one should fit.
Well, that's VERY disappointing! I was going to offer to take it off your hands if it didn't fit, Random! Because I KNOW it would fit me if I took the waist in. And, I have some shoes that r a PERFECT MATCH for it!

PS: The MOST important measurement for CD dresses that don't stretch is the CHEST SIZE!

Alisa
03-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Hey there Random, I'm almost 6' and 180+ with a 32" waist. With dresses I usually start with the bust size and work around the hips and waist. Depending on the material and style of the dress, I wear a medium or large... juniors, misses or women s depending on bust size I like. Hope that helps honey. Hugs. Alisa

tappanty
03-31-2012, 07:55 AM
A very pretty dress hope it works out for you.