PDA

View Full Version : My Best Compliment yet!

AmberDay
03-28-2012, 10:35 PM
After my therapy appointment today (I was dressed in jeans, tennis shoes, and a purple blouse), I stopped at the local super Wal-Mart. I was picking up items, looking for things, etc. I had ZERO problems with anybody. I am to the point now where I no longer care if I 'Pass', my goal now is to be accepted as a human being. No doubt some saw me as a female, but I know I got read for certain at least once. I was walking towards the beauty supplies and there was a lady holding a baby. Her eyes locked on to me, and I thought, Oh Crap. Instead of the negative reaction I was expecting, she gave me a nice genuine smile. I smiled in return. She didn't say anything or wave at me. That six second smile just made my day. I KNOW she read me. It wasn't one of those, I'm trying not to laugh smiles either. It was a smile to show she accepted me as a fellow human being. I can't tell you how good of a feeling it is to have a complete stranger tell you (even non-verbally) that they are okay and accept who you are. I have no doubt that I 'Passed' several times on my out and about adventures. I don't want to 'Pass', I want to be accepted. I finally was. I was so thrilled that for the first time, I went through a register with a live person instead of a U-Scan. That went well too.

Amber

Barbara Ella
03-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Congratulations Amber. That smile of recognition and acceptance is something that cannot be faked. You are lucky when you get one, and you are deserving. Happy for you.

Babes

Jacqueline Winona
03-28-2012, 11:55 PM
Good for you, Amber! That is so great, congratulations, and enjoy the moment for as long as you can.

candicd
03-29-2012, 02:12 AM
That is awesome Amber. I think you made a great point. So many CDs want to "pass" (at least that's what they think they want). What they actually want is to be accepted for who YOU are.

-Candi

Cynthia Anne
03-29-2012, 12:57 PM
That's great Amber! Sometimes actions do speak louder then words! I love your attitude! Hugs!

ChristineReid
03-29-2012, 02:25 PM
That's a lovely story - truly inspiring and encouraging. I think a lot of it is about having the inner confidence that you project onto the outside world. If you believe in yourself and like others then that's the way you are likely to be treated.

I had an interesting experience in a hotel a few weeks ago. I have been dressing and going out quite a bit - but normally in hotels where you can just walk out past reception and hope no-one notices. On this occasion it was a small hotel with one of those humungous keys that you have to leave at reception. So I summoned up the courage to call the desk first and tell her that I would be coming down shortly 'looking a bit different - and I wanted to tell her so that she wouldn't be too shocked!' When I came down the stairs she broke out into a broad smile and said - 'Oh it's you'. This was the first time anyone had seen me as man and woman so quite a big deal - and she was just so nice about it. It turned out that she was worried that I'd burned my face or something and would have to take me to hospital! I was then able to speak to her on the remaining nights I was there and ask her what she thought etc. She was just so accepting - I was really touched by it.

AnitaH
03-29-2012, 09:31 PM
What a great day for you and a great story for us. You're right of course, when I'm out I'd rather have acceptance than passing. Don't believe that I ever thought of it before however. So thank you for a post that had me thinking.

AnitaH