PDA

View Full Version : "Are you finding everything?"

Shannon
11-05-2005, 01:29 AM
Ever since Andrea, Wendy and several others turned me on to boots http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16347 I've been checking out the selection at Discount Shoe Warehouse. Today, I left work early, stopped at home to slip into some pantyhose under my drab jeans, shirt and Converse sneakers, and headed out to get a second pair.

I was browsing the ladies boot aisle, a couple of GGs were trying on boots. A guy that works there (I've seen him several times -- I think he is a manager) comes walking down the aisle, straigthens out the displays, and when he gets to me he smiles and says "Are you finding everything?" I smile back and say "Yes, I am thank you." He goes on his way and I go back to looking.

I find a pair of black knee-high length, with about a 2-1/2 inch heel that say "buy me". Now I've purchased several pairs of shoes there, but never tried them on in the store. But I wanted the experience, so I found a box labeled 9.5M. I sat down on a stool in the middle of the aisle, took the right boot of the box, slip off my sneaker, and started to slip on the boot. As I'm doing this, the manager has wondered back to where I am. He stands about 6 feet from me, and straightens out a few more displays and boxes while I zip the boot up. I stand up (oh, the fit is perfect!) and take a few steps. The manager is still there, and a GG customer walks past me while I'm taking my few steps. Curiously, my heart isn't racing. I don't feel like I'm gonna die. I'm enjoying this experience -- I'm having fun with it. And I know that nothing weird is gonna happen. I'm simply going about my business of deciding if I like the fit, the manager is going about his business, and the lady customers are going about their business.

I slip the boot off, put it back in the box, put on my sneaker, and make my purchase. (Probably should have tried on the left boot while I was at it!)

Pictures later (I have plans for tomorrow and my new boots ;) ).

So while I'm at it, I go next door to Old Navy and try on some women's jeans. I've never purchases women's jeans, but I think maybe a 10 or 12 is a good staring point. I find a couple pair of low-waist, flared bottoms. Take them back to the fitting rooms, where a clerk (GG) shows me to an open stall. The 10 is a bit loose, and too long. As I'm leaving the stall, the clerk asks me "How was the fit?" "Too long," I tell her, and hand both pairs to her, (since she reaches out for them).

Back to the racks -- and I discover a pair of size 8-short, cream-colored cordoroy hip-huggers. Mmmmmm. Back to the fitting room, where the same clerk shows me a stall. Perfect fit (but I'm gonna need to learn how to tuck now!). I buy the cords.

Last stop, Borders books, where I get a book called "Getting Gorgeous" from InStyle magazine. Lots of step-by-step how to's on make-up selection and applications.

Sometimes, it really pays to leave work early on a Friday afternoon. :angel:

cosmolovesph
11-05-2005, 01:48 AM
very nice, maybe should have worn the boots out from the store? ;)

Billijo49504
11-05-2005, 02:11 AM
Sure sounds like you had a lot more fun than I did, doing my straight 8 hr on 2nd shift.

Francine
11-05-2005, 03:14 AM
I bought one pair of boots (women's size 12) recently, and even have worn them to work, (as a male) and no one has said anthing, but they are tan ankle boot with side zipper, and squared off toe.

The only thing that give them away as a women's pair of boots is the slightly smaller heel, and is only about 1 1/2"-2" heel.

Plus, they are comfortable.

Another pair of ankle boots I bought, (size 12) are just a bit too small, I may have to give them up, (sell, donate to good will). but they have a 2 1/2" heel, and a lot smaller, but I really like the tri-color of these. I guess I will have to order the size 13 on-line.

something about boots lately.. ;)

jjjjohanne
11-05-2005, 07:06 AM
I went to the store last week in shorts and hose. Normally I hide when I go to the store. This time, I was more bold. I went to the shoe section in two stores. In both stores, a customer was by me while I shopped. I went about my business of selecting and trying on. One customer looked at my feet and legs a couple times, but continued shopping for shoes. The other woman never paid me any attention that I ever noticed.

Joe

Deidra Cowen
11-05-2005, 07:59 AM
Kewl story! :thumbsup:

I can shop enfemme and have no problems...but going in drab really makes me nervous.

Kimberly
11-05-2005, 08:10 AM
Yeah, shopping's okay, when I'm quick about it ;)

The only thing that really worries me about shopping is bumping into someone I know... I've had a couple of close shaves, but no one has ever spotted me.

... trying on?? ... I'm yet to conquer that :)

But good stuff, Shannon! (Size 8?! You b*tch! lol)

Veronica E. Scott
11-05-2005, 08:43 AM
Sounds as though you had a wonderful afternoon. Every now and then one must cater to themselfs. I stoped of at DSW on my way home from work the other day and purchased a pair of 4" pumps asked for help and was treated kindly. Boy do they have a tun of shoes and some are real pricy.

tifftg
11-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Wow, what a great day you had Shannon. You have stumbled into the ultimate truth of retailing. Most stores are designed to make you comfortable and sell you things. I am so happy your experience went so well. I know on my previous trip to Chicago I went shopping in Marshall's, I was somewhat androgynous, but without the wig presenting myself ultimately as a guy, (ok with some light touches of makeup) anyway I kept trying on things and the ultimate thing I learned is that the only thing the woman running the fitting room was worried about was 4 items in, 4 items out. As long as I wasn't stealing I was like any other customer (go figure). The fun thing of course on this visit to Chicago was I turned right to the ladies fitting room instead of the left turn I made last time. I haven't done the Old Navy thing, but want to and am now inspired.

Thanks and hugs,

Tiffany

Shannon
11-05-2005, 10:10 AM
Kewl story! :thumbsup:

I can shop enfemme and have no problems...but going in drab really makes me nervous.

Deidra -- hopefully I'm building up the courage to shop en femme. When I think about what I did yesterday trying on shoes, there was probably less potential for negative reactions had I been en femme.

I think what's making me nervous about shopping en femme is that I feel that I'm also going to have the voice, the walk, and everything down perfect. (and plenty of cash since pulling out my credit card would be really disorienting, wouldn't it?) I know that's not necessarily true -- and it's more in my head than anything. I'll get there!:)

Tiff -- Right now I'm keeping my fitting room options to unisex. Wilson Leather and Old Navy have stalls that don't differentiate sexes -- sometimes no choice is simplier!

tifftg
11-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Yes, during my shopping enfemme adventure in Chicago I used cash everywhere I went. I know my voice wasn't perfect, I wanted it to be softer than normal, the trick that seemed to work for me was confidence that what I was doing was okay and then everyone just accepted me. I am going to do a quick writeup of my full day later, but it was really quite interesting in how I was treated.

Hugs,

Tiff

Eileen
11-05-2005, 10:41 AM
Shannon,

Girl shopping enfem is so wonderful. You will not be as nervous, as you will just be another woman shopping. As for those worried about the voice, it does not have to be perfect. There are a lot of gg's with low voices.

Eileen

uknowhoo
11-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Good for you, Shannon, what a great afternoon you had! I hope you don't expect to be very productive at work next Friday afternoon!:p Thanks for sharing the details of your spree. Hugs, Tammi

Sophia Rearen
11-05-2005, 01:46 PM
Cool Shannon. Way to go. I too am reaching that comfort level where I'm curiously not nervous. Kinda cool! :thumbsup:

Rachel Morley
11-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Great story Shannon - and well written. I enjoy reading about things like this - going out in guy mode (or feminized guy mode) and shopping for femme things :)

I wait expectantly for the next episode. :D

swiss_susan
11-05-2005, 03:16 PM
Shannon,

Sounds Like a great day out. I did some shopping my self today. As usual I ended up with more than I intended. I got my first suit, nice grey with faint pink pin stripes. A new red top. some new lingere :D .

Oh and a new wig. That is something I am never going to buy online again, oing in and seeing everything and being able to try and feel the wigs was awsome.

Hope we all get more days like this.

kisses,

Susan

Marlena Dahlstrom
11-05-2005, 05:20 PM
Sounds like you had a great time Shannon!

You have stumbled into the ultimate truth of retailing. Most stores are designed to make you comfortable and sell you things.

the trick that seemed to work for me was confidence that what I was doing was okay and then everyone just accepted me.

Exactly.

Shannon, as you've said, you don't need to perfect in "passing." I sincerely doubt anyone mistakes me for a GG in close-up conversation, but so far I've almost always been treated like a lady. Nor is it that disorientating to use a credit card. Most of the time you just swipe the card, so they don't even look at it. And last time I bought something at Lane Bryant, the clerk did ask to see some ID (the signature on my card is smudged so that happens a lot). Her only comment -- "Yup, that's you."

Anyway, with more steps like this, you'll keep building confidence and one day if you decide you want to shop en femme you'll just do it.

cathy b
11-05-2005, 05:42 PM
new boots i'm jealous. enjoy them.
hugs

Holly
11-06-2005, 12:05 AM
Shannon, you discovered a much better way to spend a Friday afternoon than working! Way to go. Enjoy the boots. But even more, enjoy the new found freedom to do what's in your heart!

Sam-antha
11-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Just how wonderful it is to shop I did not know until I tried it.
And I was forced into it.....
A happy afternoon in Glasgow, sun shine and all the rest.
And then....
The Rains came.
No Umbrella, help, my wig, my pulli....my fears... my voice.

Into Marks and wander to get the courage to pick up an umbrella and take it for payment..... did I blush ? No, but I felt that I could have.
Like everyone says, no body sees anybody other than that which is supposed to be in front of them.
Felt prouder. Caash payment.
I suppose I could have used the Credit Card, doubt if sales people look at the name on it... or do they ??? Does anybody know ?
Anyway the next step was into MacDonalds where I worried about lipstick and cups and things.

Andrea's Lynne
11-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Shannon

Way to go!!

I've purchased women's shoes in person before, but have never (yet) plucked up the courage to try them on in the store.

Lynne

tifftg
11-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Well girl, I read your story and wouldn't you know it, this time I am in Atlanta for a business trip and around the corner from my hotel is a mall and also an Old Navy. While being the devoted MAC-a-holic that I am, I had to get a new tube of lipstick. (Viva Glam III- a little darker than the VG V that I have been wearing.) And then in drab :sad: I went to the Old Navy. I have been losing weight but not as much as you ( I hate you Shannon--LOL), so I grabbed a size 16 and went to the fitting room. They are unisex at this store and I went in tried on the pants and so happy they are too big --( a few months ago I was an 18 so I am happy), they also had a rip at the loop. I hand them to the girl and show her the torn loop. Back to the floor and grab a size 14, back to the room, now the girl is smiling at me. I try them on and they fit great. Go to the photo section and I will post a picture. When I walk out she says have a great evening. I tell her I will. And I am. This is also the first time I got low waist. Feels sexy. Thanks for your story Shannon, this was fun.

Hugs,

Tiffany

Shannon
11-08-2005, 12:45 AM
Tiffany -- I love the way you look in those jeans in the photos on the other thread. They look very sleek and form-fitting. I'm so glad you had fun shopping at Old Navy (who'd a thought!). You ever get to San Diego?

tifftg
11-08-2005, 12:50 AM
You are so sweet girl. I was in San Diego a few years ago, but would love to get back and have you show me the fun spots. You never know. My company has offices there. I will be on the lookout for a chance to get there.

imagination96
11-11-2005, 02:52 AM
What a coincidence . . . I'm in the market for a new pair of jeans and tried on several pairs at a Kohl's as there was a jean sale going on. Unfortunately they didn't have anything in tall and the lenght just wasn't what I was looking for. I just discovered that Old Navy sells jeans with short, regular, and TALL inseams so I fully plan to make a trip there sooner rather than later. Old Navy is great . . . stuff is pretty inexpensive and they are always having sales.