PDA

View Full Version : My voice is starting to make things a bit awkward.

Myojine
04-01-2012, 02:20 PM
I've bene on the phone quite a bit with techsupport agencies and other places, and my voice is definately female over the phone, but im noticing something.

Im calling in about my old accounts with my old name on them and...
I keep getting asked "Whats the name on the account?" I tell thme my old name
i then get asked "And whom am I speaking with?"
i always have to stop and think... What do i say?

yesterday i told the guy i was trans and that was the end of it.

This is getting a bit awkward @_@

Stephenie S
04-01-2012, 05:28 PM
"I am contacting you because of a gender change."

That should cover it. Reveal as little information as possible. Keep your mouth shut unless you have to open it.

In the early stages of transition the tendency is to say too much. This may or may not come back to bite you in the butt later, but once you say something about transition, you can NEVER take it back. Many places will ask you to provide some kind of documentation. Get something on paper as soon as you can. Even a label from a magazine subscription can do wonders sometimes. Another strategy is to maintain that THEY have made a mistake. I was living in Canada when I changed my driver's license. I simply kept telling them that they had OBVIOUSLY made an error. That was a long time ago. This might not work in the post 9/11 era.

Good luck. Keep up the good work. It's so nice to see you happy.

Stephie

Myojine
04-01-2012, 06:41 PM
"I am contacting you because of a gender change."
\
I thiknk you completely missed the point...

Stephenie S
04-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Oops. You're right. I completely missed the point. Sorry.

But as this never happened to me, I can offer no concrete advice.

S

noeleena
04-02-2012, 07:31 AM
Hi,

I just told every one im a woman as i was any way, & this is what im doing my name was noel & is now noeleena , i did not need to change my first name as its female as well as male it was at the endo's he said what are we going to call you. oh that well noeleen will do till i was in Phuket & a R N said no it has to be noeleen'a' as the a is stressed,
as to other govt dept's apart from the bank they all changed all my details & no ?'s asked,

Being up front with every detail was the best way.

If on the phone & some one wonts the male of the house i say theres none here so you can talk to me as i own the house & its noeleena , then they ask can i speak with her . & i say you are, when thats done they dont need to ask they then know so not had many since. the odd one now & again .

mind you i have had more time at this so its not an issue, & so pretty much every one knows.

...noeleena...

juno
04-02-2012, 07:41 PM
I don't see what is wrong with just telling people that you transitioned to female. Transgenderism is starting to get public acceptance. Many people still favor going completely stealth, but I think it is better to be open, and don't treat it like it is a big deal. If we keep hiding, the general public will never realize that we are not all that rare.

ReineD
04-03-2012, 12:57 AM
Are you planning a name change anytime soon? If so, once you change your name on all your accounts, you won't have this issue any more? :)

In the meantime you can tell them that yes, you know you have a feminine voice and can we please get on with business now. Saying you're trans works too. They don't care, they just want to make sure they are talking to the right person so as not to violate privacy laws.