PDA

View Full Version : Think I was hit on ...

Diane Smith
04-02-2012, 02:13 AM
I pulled through a fast food drive-up lane tonight, a place I go occasionally but probably no more than every month or so, and the 20-something male server at the window said, "you always have the loveliest nails!" I was in drab mode at the time (at least, as drab as I ever get) wearing a T-shirt and kind of grubby work pants.

I can only remember one or two times a male has ever commented on any aspect of my appearance before, and the exchanges are usually quick and business-like. How many guys would use the word "lovely" to describe another's appearance?

Anyway, he's much too young for me.

- Diane

Kathy4ever
04-02-2012, 04:01 AM
maybe e is a crossdressers too and wants to have nails that are painted too.

Dawna Ellen Bays
04-02-2012, 05:17 AM
I agree with Kathy. That was the first thing that popped into my head, too.

Badtranny
04-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Perhaps he just thought you had lovely nails and wasn't as hung up on a simple compliment as the people around here seem to be.

Just a thought ;-)

Marleena
04-02-2012, 09:34 AM
That was a nice compliment that must've made your day Diane.:) The 7-11 I go to every day has a 20ish girl that always has nice nails done up. I've wanted to comment but I would feel foolish. She would wonder what my motivation is.

Cynthia Anne
04-02-2012, 09:50 AM
I agree that's quite a complement from a guy! He either hit on you or he's wishing his nails were 'LOVELY'! Hugs!

Vickie_CDTV
04-02-2012, 09:58 AM
He was possibly a TV, or... he and/or possibly his girlfriend are in the nail business and it is something they would just automatically notice. I notice skin and hair on others because it is my business (but I don't usually say anything to them due to its sensitive nature.)

Badtranny
04-02-2012, 10:01 AM
That was a nice compliment that must've made your day Diane.:) The 7-11 I go to every day has a 20ish girl that always has nice nails done up. I've wanted to comment but I would feel foolish. She would wonder what my motivation is.

That's not true Marleena. There is nothing wrong with a genuine compliment. The problem is your own reluctance to be genuine. If you are self conscious about it, then it will probably come off as kind of creepy but if you are breezy and sincere than she will take it as a nice compliment.

This little issue is a really good example of how CDs sabotage themselves. You're so afraid of being "outed" that you avoid anything that feels real and a simple thing like an offhand compliment becomes so much more than it is. What will she think if you tell her she always has great nails? She'll probably just think it's nice that somebody noticed and then she won't think about it again. Girls give each other compliments all day long. It's how we communicate, and it's never fake. There is almost always something worth complimenting on every woman and when I meet somebody new the first thing I do is find that something and tell her.

I met a colleague for the first time a few weeks ago in a professional setting who shook my hand and said you have such pretty eyes for not wearing any makeup, I just smiled said "thank you" and leaned in and kinda whispered "I tint my eyelashes". She laughed and said great idea, and we bonded instantly.

Compliments are a great way to break the ice or to just show appreciation for something that is difficult. (like great nails) I would love to see CD's get more comfortable with this wonderful aspect of femininity and I'll bet you a dollar most women would as well.

Barbara Ella
04-02-2012, 10:09 AM
At a drive through, the contact is facial and hands, and the hands involve physical contact, so I would expect them to get the most notice. Come on Diane, much too young for you would mean they were violating child labor laws, and I don't mean that in a Cougar way....lol I find the youth today to a greater extent are dropping their inhibitions to fashion and looking good, and/or different. They are also dropping their inhibitions about personal space and commenting on what is in their mind. They have lost some of the restraint of even just the previous generation, and most definitely from any closer to my generation (old, very old).

I cant discount the assertions that he may be a crossdresser, but even if so, as Marleena said, previous generations would never make such a comment, even a crossdresser. It was his generation talking to you, and letting you know he noticed you and felt you deserved a compliment so he gave you one, and a well deserved one.

Barbara

Marleena
04-02-2012, 10:13 AM
I cant discount the assertions that he may be a crossdresser, but even if so, as Marleena said, previous generations would never make such a comment, even a crossdresser. It was his generation talking to you, and letting you know he noticed you and felt you deserved a compliment so he gave you one, and a well deserved one.

Barbara

@ Melissa Barb shows my reason for being reluctant to say anything. I do get what you're saying though.

DanaR
04-02-2012, 11:08 AM
.......................The 7-11 I go to every day has a 20ish girl that always has nice nails done up. I've wanted to comment but I would feel foolish. She would wonder what my motivation is.

I've been in similar situations and complimented the girl on her pretty nails and have always had positive reactions. If you were to ask the color or where she got her nails done, then she would know your motivation.:battingeyelashes:

Marleena
04-02-2012, 11:10 AM
I've been in similar situations and complimented the girl on her pretty nails and have always had positive reactions. If you were to ask the color or where she got her nails done, then she would know your motivation.:battingeyelashes:

I guess I need to stop being a wimp? :)

DanaR
04-02-2012, 11:21 AM
I guess I need to stop being a wimp? :)
Not at all. I think that we sometimes don't say things in fear of being found out; which when you think about it, it really doesn't matter. When you pay a person a genuine compliment, it feels good, for them and you.

Lorileah
04-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. One thing that this part of the world has done (and I don't know if it is true anywhere but the North Americas) is we have swung so far to one side that ANY compliment get taken as a sexual innuendo. I sort of feel sorry for people who enjoy compliments because a lot of people are afraid it will be taken wrong and in this day and age you will be hauled to account for your words. In the "old" days you could really say "I like that outfit" without having the other person think or add "but I want to see you without it". It used to be a good ice breaker that would lead to conversation. Hopefully the pendulum will swing more central again someday.

Have you noticed here that many people do compliment others? Feels good doesn't it? So take the nice nails compliment and run with it. It simply means they like how you take the time to care about how you look. Now if he had said "I like your nails...here's my number" I think you may have been hit on.

BTW, I doubt he was a CD. That would be a weak line to try and pull you out. He would have said something about pretty clothes or make up.

kimdl93
04-02-2012, 02:55 PM
well, some months ago - en drabb - I was buying dog food at Petsmart. The cashier was a petite young man, maybe 20 years old, and he said "You have beautiful eyes." I don't know that he was hitting on me, but its the very first time I'd ever heard that compliment. I thanked him for the nice compliment and went on with my day!

KatyInDE
04-02-2012, 03:53 PM
A couple of weeks ago I was in line at the local grocery store. I was dressed in my usual, skinny jeans, athletic shoes, fleece jacket with a scarf, small dangly earrings, no makeup. I have medium length hair, short for a girl, but long for a guy. So femmy, but obviously a guy. The guy behind me starts talking to me about the coffee beans I was buying. I chatted with him for the minute or two we were waiting. I was feeling a weird vibe, but I was concentrating on finding my store card, the cashier and a bunch of other stuff. It wasn't until I got out of the store and into my car I realized what the weird vibe was. He was hitting on me. Hey I'm a guy, I used to do that! It was just totally out of context and I just wasn't looking for it. Its not that I'm putting out the signals looking to hook up. I was just living my life and looking and feeling girly. If I wasn't so obtuse I might've continued the conversation but by then it was too late.

Sometimes Steffi
04-20-2012, 08:38 AM
I've complimented girls on their nails (quite often), shoes, perfume, skirts, etc., and have always had great responses. Some have even told me (without being prompted) the brand of perfume they were wearing.

I think they're just excited that some stranger noticed what they are wearing. Wouldn't you be excited?

I think the last thing that they would think about is that you're a CD

katie_barns
04-20-2012, 11:06 AM
I agree to accept it as the compliment it sounded like.
I am on cloud nine after a compliment. I just don't get them enough. The compliment I like the most is when a man holds the door for me and I can see him in the reflection checking out my bottom. I take that as I just passed with flying colors.

Kate Simmons
04-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Well, everyone likes a nice compliment Hon. I'll bet you felt like you were on top of the world. I know that's how I would have felt.:)