PDA

View Full Version : CDing on the comics page

Marlena Dahlstrom
11-05-2005, 11:58 AM
A friend of mine ran across a comic strip, "The Meaning of Lila" (http://www.comics.com/creators/lila/) that featured a crossdressing plotline this week. ("Lila" appears to be a younger, hipper (and better drawn) "Cathy"-like strip -- and oddly my friend ran across it in Stars and Stripes, the military newspaper.)

Our heroine -- who's been searching for a man -- meets Bill, who's en femme, at a Halloween party, and gives him her number. A co-worker questions whether Lilia really wants to go out with a guy who wore a dress, but Lila points out a lot of guys go in drag for Halloween. But when they meet for a drink, Bill's still in a dress and tells Lila it's not a costume. ("I'm very much a man, I just like to dress in women's clothes.") Lila says she's not comfortable dating a crossdresser and that she's worried about what her mother would think. But she does love his shoes, and Bill offers to her borrow any of them. Lila says she's really tempted, but sadly she isn't a size 13.

I suspect this plotline is wrapped up but we'll see. Overall, I thought the authors treated the issue fairly respectfully. Rather than making fun of CDs, the joke was more a variation on GG's lament that all the good men are married, gay -- or now, transgendered.

(The weeks preceding Halloween touched on Lila's mother nagging her about how all of friends were getting married, and how her friends advised her that instead of choosing a clever costume, she should go in a sexy costume if she wanted to land a man.

Friend: Halloween is a chance to live out your fantasy.
Lila: Dressing like a [French] maid, is _not_ my fantasy.
Friend: Did I say your fantasy? I meant to say how Halloween is a chance for men to live out _their_ fantasies.

Hmm... just a bit of foreshadowing....)

Anyway, kind of nice to see us treated like anyone else. While it's true Lila isn't comfortable dating Bill, she doesn't freak out either. And she does tell a friend that Bill's got nicer legs than she does.

I'll keep watching it for a few more days to see if the plotline continues and then was planning to write the authors (http://www.creators.com/comics_writetheauthor.cfm?pg=write&comicname=lil). Maybe we can lobby to get Bill a recurring role as Lila's shopping buddy -- he does look nicely put together and not your stereotypical "guy in a dress."

Deidra Cowen
11-05-2005, 12:01 PM
Kewl! :thumbsup: I liked it.

TGMarla
11-05-2005, 12:08 PM
I checked it out. It was great! Too bad we didn't get to see Bill's legs. And shoes. I added it to my favorites so I can keep up with it. I thought they treated the issue with some respect also. It's nice that they didn't show him with stubble or anything. It's cute that he showed up for their date en femme, but not too realistic there. It's a shame she couldn't date him for a while so we could get to know the character a little better. Thanks for showing it to us, Darla.

Rachel Morley
11-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Thanks for sharing this Darla. I went back and read the last 5 weeks worth of episodes and I like it - it's funny. :)

I agree Bill does seem non threatening. To me, the portraying of crossdressing (at least so far) is that it's just something different and unusual. Lets' see what develops......

eleventhdr
11-05-2005, 03:23 PM
I most always enjoy these if they are well done at all. Thsi one looks fine from the one i see here. But would like to see more. Thank's Suzy!.

jjjjohanne
11-06-2005, 06:07 AM
I saw a TV show, a sit com, that had the same plot line. It was one of those shows that probably didn't make it a full season. Anyhow, in the one episode I watched, she met a guy in a dress at a Halloween party. He just looked like a man in a gaudy dress. He said his friends dared him to dress that way. For their date, he was in a more attractive dress. She was too uncomfortable and ended the date early.

We need more movies and comics like While You Were Sleeping, where Sandra Bullock lets her neighbor guy try on her shoes!

Joe

jo_ann
11-06-2005, 10:37 AM
that was awesome, I hope that theme doesnt' go away "today's strip went off topic". wish there was a way to contact them to give them props.

TGMarla
11-06-2005, 11:10 AM
Sunday strips always go off topic. Let's wait and see what tomorrow brings.

KatieZ
11-06-2005, 11:44 AM
A friend of mine ran across a comic strip, "The Meaning of Lila" (http://www.comics.com/creators/lila/)

I'll keep watching it for a few more days to see if the plotline continues and then was planning to write the authors (http://www.creators.com/comics_writetheauthor.cfm?pg=write&comicname=lil). Maybe we can lobby to get Bill a recurring role as Lila's shopping buddy -- he does look nicely put together and not your stereotypical "guy in a dress."

jo_ann.....Did you miss this in Darlas' original post?

I just e-mailed the writers and commended them for the strip . I also asked if they might make Bill, Lilas new best friend. Also gave them the addy here for more info on CDers and perhaps some story lines.

A little push from all of us and Bill might become a national spokesperson for the CD community.

Hugs

jo_ann
11-06-2005, 06:35 PM
scuse my blondness, I didn't see that link (it's hard to breeze through all these message posts). I just sent them a nice message, I hope everyone on this board sees this and sends them an email.

Gunda
11-07-2005, 05:26 AM
Hi,
Pretty "edgy" subject matter for a comic in the "Stars & Stripes." Still, it sounds as though they handled it humerously yet tactfully - foregoing the all-too-usual stigmatizing of CDs as somehow degenerate or dangerous.
Actually, given that CDing is most likely alive and well in the Armed Forces, I'm sure more than a few servicemen probably related to /and/or/ envied the "Bill" character, but could never admit it of course.

Best,
Gunda

TGMarla
11-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Nope. Today's strip is generic. It was probably just a passing adventure...oooh! A pun! Perhaps she'll return at some time. I mean, he's not a bad looking guy, for a girl.

Stephanie Brooks
11-07-2005, 11:37 AM
It was a great little series! It got more than a few laughs from me. :p Thanks Darla!!!!

Marlena Dahlstrom
11-07-2005, 02:58 PM
I sent the creators a nice note -- and mentioned I hoped Bill might make some guest appearances, after all it sounds like Lila would appreciate a shopping companion.

As Jo Ann said, let's all give them some atta-girls.