PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Book on crossdressing or gender issues

jennifer1958
04-02-2012, 07:38 PM
I am looking for some recommendations from you and what your favorite book is on crossdressing or gender issues. What have you read and would recommend to otheres?

Jennifer

tifftg
04-02-2012, 07:57 PM
One of really enjoyed and found insightful is Alice in Genderland by Richard Novic

Miriam-J
04-02-2012, 07:58 PM
I think it depends on your particular type of gender issues. Those who have been part of this community for a long time probably have some books on specific topics. For my case, I got a lot of mileage from "My Husband Wears My Clothes: Crossdressing From the Perspective of a Wife". It fits well with my lifestyle as a private dresser with a wife, but might not be so applicable for a purely fetish dresser or someone much further toward the transexual side.

Miriam

Renee W
04-02-2012, 10:01 PM
My wife enjoyed reading both "My Husband Wears My Clothes" and "My Husband Betty". She said both of them helped her understand what makes me tick.

Oh yeah I read them also.

JessHaust
04-02-2012, 10:06 PM
I'm also going with 'Alice in genderland'. While I don't share the authors sexual orientation, I found the story familar, and very insightful into the real world of transgender nightlife.

Victoria Vermilliana
04-02-2012, 10:11 PM
It's fiction, but I connected with the book on a personal level really well. It's called Luna, and I cannot, for the life of me, remember who the author is! But look it up, you'll find it! It's a good book.

kimmy p
04-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Crossdressing, sex, and Gender.

Kate T
04-03-2012, 02:27 AM
I've read My Husband Wears My Clothes (MHWMC) and also another Peggy Rudd Book on a study she did of transgender individuals, can't remember the name. Must admit wasn't that impressed with MHWMC, I just wanted to tell her husband to stop being a selfish pain in the neck half the time.

I've read and quite enjoyed the Jane Anderson book "The Lazy crossdresser". Humorous with little miscellaneous tips on techniques but also a good insight on her attitude without it being rammed down your throat.

I've heard a couple of interviews with Helen Boyd of "My husband Betty" fame and she sounds interesting. I haven't read the book yet though.

Ameli
04-03-2012, 02:48 AM
I've read My Husband Wears My Clothes (MHWMC) and also another Peggy Rudd Book on a study she did of transgender individuals, can't remember the name. Must admit wasn't that impressed with MHWMC, I just wanted to tell her husband to stop being a selfish pain in the neck half the time.

Hi Adina,

That's funny. I think Melanie is on here, so you can tell her yourself. Actually, I think it's a compliment and speaks to how much you could relate to the book.

Ameli

Claire Cook
04-03-2012, 05:28 AM
My favorite is Lacey Leigh's Out & About: The Emacipated Crossdresser. It is loaded with tips and advice, and helped me to overcome guilt issues.

Karren H
04-03-2012, 06:04 AM
Crossdressing tip books... I like "The Lazy Crossdresser" and "Crossdress for Success". Tg related books I love "Hiding My Candy" by The Lady Chablis.

il.dso
04-03-2012, 07:21 AM
There are all excellent books, I would also recommend:
"Transformations:Crossdressers and Those Who Love Them" by Mariette Pathy Allen.
Very profound and worthwhile reading.

elizabethamy
04-03-2012, 08:06 AM
Jennifer Finney Boylan's two books, "She's Not There" and "I'm Looking Through You" are great stories. Her story is that of a lifelong transsexual who submerged it to be a husband/father until it came roaring back and she transitioned. She's a terrific writer, too.

Jmichelle60
04-03-2012, 09:01 AM
I agree with Elizabethamy, I really enjoyed and related to "She's Not There". I also enjoyed Helen Boyd's books.

RachealCD
04-03-2012, 09:02 AM
"My Husband Betty" also helped my wife when I came out to her.

jennacda2
04-03-2012, 09:46 AM
My favorite would also have to be a fiction book entitled "Debbie Harry Sings in French". A good book about personal identity and the challenges faced with that.

tasidevil
04-03-2012, 12:46 PM
I've read most of the books mentioned above, but my favorite is still "The Man in the Red Velvet Dress.

Vickie_CDTV
04-03-2012, 02:57 PM
The other Peggy Rudd book was "Crossdressing With Dignity"; I don't have a copy, so I have never read it.
http://www.ifge.org/books/crossdressing_with_dignity.htm

I give My Husband Wears My Clothes two big thumbs up.

Melanie R
04-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Hi Adina,

That's funny. I think Melanie is on here, so you can tell her yourself. Actually, I think it's a compliment and speaks to how much you could relate to the book.

Ameli

Yes, I would like to know how I was seen as being a selfis pain in the neck.

Melanie

Shawnacdin
04-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Has anyone read the new book "The Crossdresser's Wife - Our Secret Lives"? I think it came out within the last year and I was wondering if it was any good.

Krista1985
04-04-2012, 06:08 PM
I've read and enjoyed "The Lazy Crossdresser" by Charles Anders, great read especially for the beginner as I was when I read it.

"Alice in Genderland" was OK in my opinion. As others have said, I don't relate to the authors sexuality and the she does spend a good chunk of time describing encounters etc. She is a very well written person, and the fact that she is well educated comes through though. Plus there is plenty of good information for that applies equally to CD's of all sexual orientations.

I also just started reading the fictional book "Luna" by Julie Anne Peters. As Victoria (6th poster in thread) says, it's a great read and it hit close to home.

And although it's got absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with CD'ing, "A Song of Ice and Fire" series by George RR Martin (AKA the Game of Thrones books) are not to be missed by fans of good fiction. I'm not a fantasy fan per-se, but the characters are fleshed out so well by the writing that you grow really attached to (or repulsed by) them. It's not like JRR Tolkien where even 3 year old can identify 'evil' and 'good' characters at a glance. Just when you start to think a character is evil, you get a chapter from their point of view that makes you realize they are only motivated by their own self-interest and therefore cannot be termed categorically 'good' or 'evil.' Good stuff.

BillieJoEllen
04-05-2012, 12:27 AM
The best (or favorite book) that I have ever read was I Want What I Want. It was made into a movie back in the early seventies. I have also enjoyed most of the mainline books mentioned above.

Sallee
04-05-2012, 12:37 AM
looks like a lot of good ones that I haven't read and I think I have read quite a few
My faves so far are My Husband Betty and Lazy Crossdresser both great