PDA

View Full Version : Navel Piercings and Tramp Stamps

renaej7
04-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Summertime is fast approaching and I am geeked about spending some quality time on the beach. At the same time, some curiousity has set in looking at the new summer fashions. I want to have my navel pierced and get a "tramp stamp". Has anyone on here done one or the other or both? If so, did you go to a regular tattoo shops? Did you have a female do it? The reason for my asking, is because I called several tattoo shops and the guys that answered seemed very uncomfortable with my asking. My assumption is it they was uncomfortable on the phone, they will probably freak out when I get there (not literally).

darla_g
04-03-2012, 03:55 PM
I know one tattooist in particular and we had a conversation along those lines. To be honest I wouldn't go into a bike tattoo place and ask for something like that, you would be asking for trouble.

The person I know wouldn't have had a problem doing something like that if you asked. Most tattoo places have a person up front answering phones & doing the business part of everything. They may give you a weird answer because a lot of times they are a young kid who is maybe just breaking into the business. I am generalizing here a bit your results may vary.

Anyway getting back to the guy i know, he only does tats not piercings so you have to inquire directly of them if you want a navel piercing. He said he would do a tattoo for someone even if they thought it was stupid, but he would draw the line if someone requested something that was racist or immoral. and he works in a nice family owned shop so the owners would back him up on that.. So no swastikas or anything like that.

So bottom line you might want to investigate more, many tattoo shops have web sites now along with emails. Send an email if you want to save the embarrassment of asking in person. My instinct is that tattoo shops have seen a lot more strangeness that we will ever see in our lifetimes. The reaction you are getting may be due to the artist really questioning if this what you want and later if you are out of your pink fog may regret your decision.

I guess i was wondering when you say beach time are you always going there en femme? I'm sorry but I think tramp stamps on guys are a bit bizarre and a bit on the decline with women from what I understand. Just my opinion. Do what you want, but definitely post pics if you do!

Jocelyn Rose
04-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Renae,

I read your other thread about your wife and you and I think if you did this without consulting her first, she will freak out! I am telling you this as a GG.

I heard a bit of advice about tattoos which I think is good. Consider what you want and where you want to place it. Wait 3 months and if you still want it then go for it!

Jocelyn Rose
04-03-2012, 04:31 PM
that is not a bad idea Purple. it would let him try the idea out and would certainly see how his wife liked it. I still think the 3 month rule is pretty sound.

Kerigirl2009
04-03-2012, 04:40 PM
I have wanted a tattoo for many years but have been afraid of actually doing it, however I have a family member designing one for me that will go on the back of my shoulder (next to my bra strap if I am wearing one) It will definately have some feminine characteristics but also go good for guy mode. Its a great combo tattoo at least what I am picturing
I am hoping to get it done real soon, as soon as I find a nice tattoo artist.
as far as the naval I am staying away from that as it is definately a no denying girly thing to do.

Jackiefl
04-03-2012, 05:19 PM
I have a purple dragon left shoulder,rose left ankle and i'm going to get a lower back tattoo (tramp stamp) for my birthday on mon. All my tats are very fem.

darla_g
04-03-2012, 05:50 PM
For the person that asked tramp stamp is a slang term (and probably somewhat derogatory) for a lower back tattoo just about where the bikini bottoms are. if you go to the old standby Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_back_tattoo) there is even a lovely picture to illustrate what we are talking about. I Love their addition of the term in Aussie speak is arse antlers. No offense intended to any of the members here who may have one.

Renae,
I think Purple had a good suggestion with the temporary tat. and I hadn't read your first post til Jocelyn pointed it out. If your wife is as conservative in your first post (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?169837-My-Wife-Avoids-Talk-of-CD-ing&highlight=) as you suggest you are making a huge mistake doing this. This is not the kind of icebreaker you are looking for if you are trying to establish a conversation about your crossdressing. But hey as i said before do what you want you're an adult, but it also sounds like you're in the fog.

renaej7
04-03-2012, 06:31 PM
-Stephnie, I hate the term as well. Every tattoo shop I called referenced it as a "tramp stamp". Since my last post, about my wife not wanting to discuss and avoiding the issue...things have gotten a little better. We have had tje discussion about the navel piercing and she was ok with it. I havent mentioned the other. I probably wont now. I did not think about a temporary tat. That is a great idea. Yeah, I was a little concerned about it long term. I can always remove a navel ring...not a tat.

-Thanks All for the wonderful advice. It is greatly appreciated.

kymmieLorain
04-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Well the thing about most tattoo artists is they are professionals. There canvas is the human skin. whether it is on the arm, foot or lower back. While I have most of my back tattooed, I am still tring to figure out what I want on the lower area. I am thinking water flowers and vines.

now for the piercing, the navel is one of the hardest to heal and sometimes heals out( works its way out of the body) Being the placement, you have the waist band of your pants, skirt, etc to cause problems.

Kymmie

Diane Smith
04-04-2012, 12:20 AM
I doubt there are any tattoo shops around that don't do a substantial part of their business in the "biker" community. Don't let that stop you. The owners of these places and their customers are also members of a largely disrespected minority, and they understand being misunderstood from the inside out. You'll generally find a sympathetic ear. If you can find a shop with a young, female tattoo artist, I'd say that's the very best bet. The place I go to is female-owned and the two primary artists are mother and daughter. The mom has done all my tattoos so far, and the daughter has done a few of my piercings. Yes, they lead a lifestyle that includes motorcycles, but a more open minded tribe you could never find. They love the way I look and think it's just wonderful that I'm following my dream. And they don't hesitate at all to put girly ink and rings on me.

Aside from the unfortunate name, a lower back tattoo can be really pretty. I have one I designed around two sketches of high heeled shoes done by Andy Warhol during his days as an advertising illustrator.

- Diane

Sophie_C
04-04-2012, 12:33 AM
This isn't 1998, so I don't see the point in either. "Tramp Stamps" are probably the #1 tattoos removed for GGs 30 and over. It's an even worse idea to get them in 2012 than the 90s...

jaye_cd
04-04-2012, 01:30 AM
You might look into getting a Henna tattoo. They last longer then the temporary ones, and you can have it deigned to however you want and the size too. They can last a month or longer if you take care of it right. That should be a decent time to help you and your SO make some decisions.

darla_g
04-04-2012, 09:15 AM
I doubt there are any tattoo shops around that don't do a substantial part of their business in the "biker" community. Diane it should be pretty evident if you pass by a shop and there are always a bunch of bikes out front and it just appears that there are always a bunch of bikers hanging out that it is more of a clubhouse than a place of business. I can't speak for Illinois where you are from, but I know of a number of places like are like that and I would not care to get my tattoo done. I have nothing against bikers, but I sort of prefer a bit of privacy and professionalism when I am getting something done. The shop you mention does not seem to be a "biker" tat shop. This was another point i discussed with that tattoo artist I mentioned earlier. The demographics have changed significantly, sure there are still bikers that get tattoo, but they are in the minority at least in this shop.

docrobbysherry
04-04-2012, 10:24 AM
The thing about tattoos is, u need to think forward about 50 years. And, for YEARS you've been watching your cute little ferret or butterfly on a rose, becoming this weirdly indistinguishable colored blob! Finally, u bite the bullet and have the mess removed. Hoping it won't get infected and cause u MORE PROBLEMS!

I say go for the piercings! Become a metal lady if u like! At ANY TIME U HAVE REGRETS, u can remove it all, have some lite plastic surgery, and no one will ever know u used to set off the metal detectors at the airport with your face!

Julia_in_Pa
04-04-2012, 10:35 AM
My first tattoo after I transitioned was a tramp stamp.

It was done by a man.
In fact all of my tattoo's were done post transition.
I had my navel pierced as well including my boobs by a woman at the same shop.

I think many but not all male tattoo artists are going to be a little surprised by your inquiries over the phone using what I assume is a man's voice.
Go down to these shops and speak with them in person about what you want instead of being a faceless number over the phone.
Most tattoo artists that I have been to have consulted with me two or three times prior to me placing the image on my body.
Face what you desire in person.

Julia

Stephenie S
04-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Perhaps I have a different view of tattoo parlors, but here where I live tattoo parlors are professional shops licensed by the state. They are professional! You go there to get a tattoo, nothing else. If one turned into a biker hangout they would quickly lose their license to operate. Do bikers get tattoos? Yup. But I have NEVER seen a tattoo parlor in this part of the country that I would be afraid to go into. I would say there are more young professionals getting tattoos these days than bikers.

And I would echo Julia's advice. Go there in person and discuss what you want with the shop directly. I think you will find that they don't give a rat's behind about your gender presentation.

S

Princess_Andria
04-04-2012, 01:57 PM
I'm definately getting my belly pierced, hopefully this year =) as for a tramp stamp i'm not saying no but its unlikely, go for it though hun =P x

danalynnts
04-04-2012, 05:03 PM
I agree you should have your wifes blessing and wait a while before the tattoo...dont do it on impulse. I had my bellybutton done long ago(it will heal over should you change your mind) then I started with a small tat on my front lower abdomin just below my undie line(easily hidden). Then after a year of no regrets I had a lowerback tat done...I have no regrets to this day and that was almost 2 yrs ago. Be selective on where you go and try to find out where others have gone with good results!

crossdressersfriend GG
04-04-2012, 08:25 PM
I doubt there are any tattoo shops around that don't do a substantial part of their business in the "biker" community. Don't let that stop you. The owners of these places and their customers are also members of a largely disrespected minority, and they understand being misunderstood from the inside out. You'll generally find a sympathetic ear. If you can find a shop with a young, female tattoo artist, I'd say that's the very best bet. The place I go to is female-owned and the two primary artists are mother and daughter. The mom has done all my tattoos so far, and the daughter has done a few of my piercings. Yes, they lead a lifestyle that includes motorcycles, but a more open minded tribe you could never find. They love the way I look and think it's just wonderful that I'm following my dream. And they don't hesitate at all to put girly ink and rings on me.

Aside from the unfortunate name, a lower back tattoo can be really pretty. I have one I designed around two sketches of high heeled shoes done by Andy Warhol during his days as an advertising illustrator.

- Diane

ITA! We are actually bikers and have a bunch of tattoos, but the friendliest guy at the place we go is actually the scariest looking! LOL They see some weird tattoos, let me tell you! So I honestly don't think anything you want to get done would be so over the top they would make fun of it!? Maybe have some good comeback lines ready just in case, because it could come up in conversation too.

If you are uncomfortable you don't have to get it done, go to a place and bring a drawing, ask for a price, check it out first. See if it's clean, what the atmosphere is like, that sort of thing? And if you decide to do it make an appointment to go during the day on a week day if you can, less people there then say a Saturday night.

NICOLETV
04-04-2012, 08:45 PM
RENAE, If you do decide to get a lower back tattoo and is worried about who does it,there is a nice place in columbia sc that has done a few friends of mine and they are lgbt friendly and was actually at our last pride event in sc the last 2 years and said they would do mine when i was ready and with u being from atlanta that is only about a 3 hr trip

Lorenqt
04-05-2012, 12:19 AM
I'm considering getting some ink too. Also, I'd like to get a navel and maybee even a lip and/or tongue peircing.

kymmieLorain
04-05-2012, 10:52 AM
As a biker, a tattoo and piercing fan and a crossdresser. I go to the same shop since I got my first tattoo over 26 years ago. While the ownership has changed hands it is still one of the best places I know of to get work done, and I am very picky. South Dakota has the best health laws for tattoos and piercing in the country, those laws where written by the original owner and his wife. I know some states have adopted the SD laws. The only time I see a bunch of motorcycles parked in front of the shop is during Sturgis bike week. Mine included. ( Sturgis is only 30 miles away) You occasionally see motorcycles there, but it is NOT a biker hangout. None of the shops in Rapid City are a biker hangout, I know most of the shops owners, as they actually started at the place I go to.

Like Julia said, go to the shop check out the artists portfolio, if they don't have one out, ask, if they don't have one, run. see how they work, how they do sterilization, after care, all this is important to having a healthy tattoo or piercing. Ask questions, what instruction have they had. There are professional piercing trainers, the lady who did mine was one such trainer. She even took anatomy classes. As a piercing in the wrong place can cause health problems. But it is not all up to the artist, you have to commit to the aftercare, you can have the most beautiful tattoo in the world but if you don't take care of it properly it will be an ugly blob of color.

Kymmie

Jessica86
04-06-2012, 05:12 AM
Ehhh....I hate the looks of any kind of woman with a tattoo. Period. I think it looks trashy. I drooled over Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider. Oh....I still do.....and now....I see pics of her and all that ink....and it seriously makes me cry that beauty was ruined. Maybe that's why she adopted so many kids. Brad can't get it up because it reminds him of doing jail time.

To me, women are beautiful as they are. So are we. Why change that? I made fun of my wife when we first got "together" because she had a belly ring. I told her it was the most pointless thing I have ever seen. So are tramp stamps. She asked why. I told her. Girls strive to dignify themselves. Insults between girls consist of trashy remarks almost constantly. Listen to them. "Jennifer's a sl**." "Jennifer is a wh***." Why put something on your body for attention...yet it's somewhere where you have to be intimate with someone for them to see....yet....you want to be dignified and not called that? She agreed, and since, has never worn it again.

Jackiefl
04-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Jessica that was a cheap shot at Brad,I personally think it's wonderfull that two people such as them can open their hearts to children

Jessica86
04-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Jessica that was a cheap shot at Brad,I personally think it's wonderfull that two people such as them can open their hearts to children

Awww come on...we gotta have at least a little comedy! :heehee:

Jackiefl
04-06-2012, 08:41 AM
Awww come on...we gotta have at least a little comedy! :heehee:

I'm sorry i saw no humor in it!

karanne
04-06-2012, 09:38 AM
Ehhh....I hate the looks of any kind of woman with a tattoo. Period. I think it looks trashy. I drooled over Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider. Oh....I still do.....and now....I see pics of her and all that ink....and it seriously makes me cry that beauty was ruined. Maybe that's why she adopted so many kids. Brad can't get it up because it reminds him of doing jail time.

To me, women are beautiful as they are. So are we. Why change that? I made fun of my wife when we first got "together" because she had a belly ring. I told her it was the most pointless thing I have ever seen. So are tramp stamps. She asked why. I told her. Girls strive to dignify themselves. Insults between girls consist of trashy remarks almost constantly. Listen to them. "Jennifer's a sl**." "Jennifer is a wh***." Why put something on your body for attention...yet it's somewhere where you have to be intimate with someone for them to see....yet....you want to be dignified and not called that? She agreed, and since, has never worn it again.
I seem to be on the old-fashioned side with Jessica. I was raised that a Proper Young Lady did not (A) show her bra straps or (B) have anything as masculine as a tattoo. Those were for big, burly military types who had 'MOM' or 'US NAVY' tattooed on their bicep.

Yet what do I see nowadays? Perhaps it's the warm weather we have year round here in Florida, but I see many young women (and not-so-young) showing their brassiere straps. <sigh> Whatever. That's off topic. What I do see are elementary-school aged kids (and older) with piercings and tattoos - now really, why did you pierce your six-month-old daughter's ears?

I do think that a young girl should be at least a teenager before she gets a tat or a piercing. Yes, it depends on the girl, some are more mature (and not just physically) than others. I first started hormone therapy (and working as a girl) in my teens, so I can understand to an extent. It's just that the body is beautiful as is, so why deface it? To me it's like using spray paint on the Mona Lisa. :eek:

ReineD
04-06-2012, 10:33 AM
We have had tje discussion about the navel piercing and she was ok with it. I havent mentioned the other.

I didn't know what a tramp stamp is (I live a sheltered life, lol) so I looked it up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_back_tattoo.

If I had a daughter who wanted to get one for its decorative value, I'd understand (I'd assume she also wouldn't know how they are commonly thought of) and I think the pure aesthetics are rather pleasing on the right kind of body. But, I'd worry about the message that boys might get when they see it and how this might affect the way they'd treat her.

Do you go to the beach often or are you into working out and are frequently in locker rooms in order to change?

Is there also a chance your wife might agree to one without knowing how these particular tats are regarded, but she'd find out after you get it done?

BRANDYJ
04-06-2012, 10:41 AM
I have to agree with Jessica and Karanne above. I see nothing feminine in tattoos on women. I also see them as a thing drunk sailors did while overseas. I never liked them on a man either. s they age, some begin to look like a bad blemish or birth mark. I gues sit's a fad for our younger generation. We had fads when I was young too. Thank God, none of those fades was a perminant as a tattoo. Believe it or not, I have a younger brother that is quite an artist. He owns a very successful tattoo shop in NC. But he does not have a tattoo on himself. But it's a good way to make money with his artistic talent I guess. I'm the same way about those ugly lip, nose, and brow piercings too. But at least they can be removed. I just don't get this whole tattoo and piercing thing on man or woman. Yep, I'm old fashioned...Thank God.

Vickie_CDTV
04-06-2012, 01:48 PM
They actually allow minors to get tattoos in FL? Even with parental consent, it is illegal in NY to tattoo anyone under 18 (and they face serious risks to their livelihood if they knowingly do so, no professional would risk it.)

Shananigans
04-06-2012, 02:37 PM
I'm sure Someone out there is willing to stick you with needles for hundreds of dollars.

BTW, I have a belly button piercing...and, it was in no way cute for about a year. I'd probably get it pierced in the winter and wait for it to heal. By spring or summer, it should look cuter. You can't even get in a hot tub for a while after getting it done. Now that I have it, I barely ever notice it unless it gets hung on something.

I used to want a tattoo...then, my friend got a tattoo and they f*cked it up. I guess I thought screwed up tattoos were really rare...and, then, one hit close to home. So, unless some celebrity tattoo artist is doing my ink, I'll pass. But, you go on out there and get you a "tramp stamp." Let us know how that all goes for you!

Lynn Marie
04-06-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Sherry, Jessica, Karanne, and Brandy. Don't do anything to your body that can't be easily removed. It may seem the "in" thing to do today, but who knows how things will change in 50 years. Personally, I'm immediately turned off by tatoos on men and even more so on women! Sure times have changed, but not always for the better in my eyes.

tammy41
04-11-2012, 05:20 PM
NicoleTV,

Do tell of lgbt friendly shop or shops in Columbia SC. I am wanting to get a tattoo but have not been able to find a place I like in Charlotte NC. Cheers Tammy

Rachael Turner
04-11-2012, 05:58 PM
i have both. a guy did each one. didnt have the least bit of a problem :)

Jay Cee
04-12-2012, 06:13 AM
In case it wasn't mentioned:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/12/24/MNGLLN35S21.DTL&ao=all

Basically, it is tattoo ink that can be removed with one laser treatment (or so they claim).

suspender
04-12-2012, 06:23 AM
im the same situation as Rachael. Have both and dont mind showing them..not really any problem for me..the later in life issue can be easily covered up as they are at the waste or below that level..i go to work in guy mode every day for the past 5-10 years and no body has bothered to comment even when the shirt has ridden up, even when i make it obvious in the locker/shower rooms at the work gym! its a non-issue..

sinead
04-12-2012, 09:01 AM
yes I have had my navel pierced twice the first time by a female,no problem apart from her comments on my smooth belly, she seem surprised that I am hairless.
the second time by a guy, no problem or comment at all