PDA

View Full Version : Melancholly

Veronica27
04-04-2012, 03:35 PM
The recent thread asking who had been dressing for more than 50 years came as an alarming wake-up call for me. As a member of the 60 plus club, I have been doing this sort of thing off and on for a great deal longer than I like to admit or even think about. Sometimes the beginning seems so long ago, and sometimes it seems like yesterday. In any event, your mortality is suddenly staring you in the face, when these thoughts are aroused. How much longer is there? What have I accomplished with my life? What, if anything, do I still want to achieve?

Those who have been out and about, and very active might be content with their life's accomplishments and where they stand in their gender journey. On the other hand, I would imagine that many crossdressers like myself who have spent most of their life secratively indulging their desires, might reach this stage and suddenly begin to think about all their unfulfilled crossdressing dreams and desires, and begin planning and scheming to see how much more they could do in the time they have left. However, I feel neither contentment or a burning desire to accomplish more. Instead, there is more of a feeling of melancholy about it all.

Sixty years ago, life was much different than it is today. Our lives were shaped in large part by the conditions that existed when we were growing up, and we often face the changes that take place with a touch of reluctance that once was, is gone forever. The culture that existed in my boyhood was far more reserved and modest than the more blatant one that exists today. A boy growing up during the forties was not faced with the images of near nakedness that we see on television and in the movies today that leave little to the imagination. There was no playboy magazine to get your hands on and no direct references to sex on radio or in the movies. There were no glimpses of cleavage, and skirts were all below the knees. Pre-marital sex, while it did occur, was more of a taboo than crossdressing has ever been, and could ruin one's life and reputation if found out. Marital infidelity ruined many celebrity careers.

Whether we consider that way of life good or bad, it existed and brought a kind of order and civility to our lives that many old-timers feel is missing today. When I think back to it, I feel somewhat torn in my emotions. If that culture had not existed and those times were much like today, I don't think I would have become a crossdresser. It was the mystique of womanhood that gradually overpowered my senses during puberty that contributed to the curiosity that led to my trying on one of my sister's bras one day when no one else was home. I had actually been unaware of the existence of such garments a short while prior to that, such was the modesty that existed in those days. I could write whole chapters on the impact this discovery had on my adolescent mind, as well as the emotional impact that resulted from satisfying my curiosity about it.

Now, sixty years later, I have no regrets about embarking on this path toward an exploration of the unique world of womanhood and its visual and external trappings. What I do regret is the countless hours spent agonizing over the reasons behind the behaviour. There was virtually no literature on the subject back in those days, only myths, superstitions, and stereotypes that made you uncertain as to who and what you really were. For large periods of my life, I employed abstinence from crossdressing and suppression of the desires to allay my fears about what it really meant about me. However, it never went away completely, and I felt somewhat relieved, when in my later years crossdressing became more acceptable and not thought of as a psychiatric disorder.

But now, in my 70's, I am starting to become overcome with feelings of "stop the bus, I want to get off". By bus, I do not mean my own crossdressing, but the direction in which the culture is taking it. I am a man, who has always felt like a man and has never had any feelings of confusion over that fact, despite liking to dress up in female clothing occasionally. I am essentially playing a game of "let's pretend", just like the games of cowboys and indians and cops and robbers we played as children. We didn't really want to be any of those things, but were just smitten by the adventurous images we saw at the Saturday matinees, and wanted to act them out ourselves. I realize that it is not "pretending" for everyone, but the growing emphasis on the relevance of something called "gender" is taking the whole crossdressing phenomenon down a path that I have difficulty relating to.

In the past few years, I have managed to get out to a few of the smaller CD events held in my region. They have been primarily social events, and as such have been an opportunity to escape from my self imposed closet, and spend an enjoyable few days as "Veronica". However, when I research some of the larger events, or the sites of some of the support organizations, I see far too serious an agenda than I am interested in, with their emphasis on transgender, LGBT and political activism. I long for an opportunity to just have some fun now and then, doing something which to my experience was daring and adventurous, and broke a few of society's rigid rules, without actually hurting anybody or anything. That to me was crossdressing, and I feel like it is being taken away from me by an overzealous rightousness that is the modern transgender movement.

Thus my feelings of melancholy. I have gone from worrying about the implications of something that should have been fun for me, to accomplishing my own acceptance, only to find that the culture is treating my little peccadillo far too seriously.

Veronica

kimdl93
04-04-2012, 03:42 PM
I'm a ways away form my 70's, but I think I understand the feelings of melancholy. As I enter my 50's I realize that I missed a lot of opportunities, that my skin won't ever be 20-something again, and that no matter how hard I work, Nature will take its toll on the rest of me as well. I am, in some sense, making up for lost time, but with the realization that I have to pace myself, remain respectful of my SO and her feelings, and maintain a balance between expressing this aspect of myself and the other parts of my life.

So, do what you want to do. If having a little fun bending the gender boundaries is enjoyable for you, then why not. There may have been many opportunities that have passed us by, but still others await.

Barbara Ella
04-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Veronica, i can understand your melancholy. As a crosdresser at 65, I too worry about what I will accomplish in the remaining years. However, as a crossdresser for only 7 months, my thoughts and actions are being influenced by the forces you mention, and not the forces present during my youth when i was oblivious to my real self...not a clue.

Am i just a cross dresser, or am i transgendered. I feel now that I am transgendered, but is this my reality or is it an artifact of the information we are bombarded with in today's society? Can i be just a cross dresser and be comfortable, sure I can, but will I have the opportunity , given the outside pressures I am exposed to today? I have no way of knowing, and I am not sure it will impact my life to a great extent, unlike the youth of today. I want so much for this to be fun. Today even fun must have social implications or it is not considered relevant. That's just the way it is.

I am going to have fun doing what I like to do, and I will not do what I do not like to do. If I am transgendered, so be it, and i will lend my support to the causes of the transgendered. If I am a cross dresser, so be it, and i will enjoy it, and have fun, and still lend my support to the causes of the transgendered, as both classes suffer the same injustices from an uneducated public.

Veronica, i wish you many more years of fun doing what you and I love so much to do. If you are having fun the melancholy will pass you by and your sisters will respect you.

Barbara

Vickie_CDTV
04-07-2012, 10:30 PM
I really enjoy looking at old copies of Transvestia and the early trans publications from that era. It was a much simpler time back then, lots of photos, articles about makeup, going out, stories and other "trivial" content. No political content or agendas, very little in terms of transsexual issues, mostly about dressing up and having fun and such (though SO issues were around back then much as they are today.) Of course, there are those wonderful lovely ladylike fashions of the era too.

We have had a lot of progress since then, and that is certainly a good thing. There was a real need for the political end, done by people with far more courage than I will ever have. Sometimes though, it is fun to look back on where we were, a less turbulent, more simple time when crossdressing was just... crossdressing.

(As a side note, it is approximately the 50th anniversary of the "Casa Susanna" resort/get-together, I am surprised no one has pitched the idea of having a reunion or celebration back in the Catskills resort area it originally took place and have an early 60s themed event etc.)

Tina B.
04-08-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm another oldster, but I don't remember the good old days as being all that good. Back then we where just freaks, shunned by polite society. Now I go to the local pride parade every year, and see those young kids marching down the street with there heads held high, and there skirts blowing in the breeze. I watch as just about every church in the area is represented, inviting the trans community to their services, and I say thanks to those brave souls that made all of this possible, with there politics, marches , protest, and everything else it took to get us all this far.
Tina B.

BRANDYJ
04-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Let me echo what Scarlet Rose said, "brilliant post"! Thank you Veronica. I am in my young 60's (have to use the word young wherever I can.) I can really relate to what you said. I too wonder if the innocence, modesty, and mystique of womanhood back then is good or bad. I often wonder if today's young teens can even begin to appreciate the femininity of the young girls they date like we did back then. The simple things like just a kiss or holding hands that gave us a thrill beyond words, seems to not mean as much today with our being less modest, more open about sex and sexuality. Even the music of your teen years and my teen years was full of romance and love compared to the garbage our kids listen to today. I think they are missing something. Yes, you might say I am lost in the 50's as one song told of. I see teen girls in stores with their bra straps hanging out, low pants with a thong showing underneath those so called tramp stamps. Defiantly not modest and frankly, a turn off. The lack of readily available information about crossdresisng and what it is may well have shaped my own crossdressing urges. Again, great post Veronica.

Foxglove
04-09-2012, 07:24 AM
. . . Sixty years ago, life was much different than it is today. Our lives were shaped in large part by the conditions that existed when we were growing up, and we often face the changes that take place with a touch of reluctance that once was, is gone forever. The culture that existed in my boyhood was far more reserved and modest than the more blatant one that exists today. . .

. . . I realize that it is not "pretending" for everyone, but the growing emphasis on the relevance of something called "gender" is taking the whole crossdressing phenomenon down a path that I have difficulty relating to. . .

. . . However, when I research some of the larger events, or the sites of some of the support organizations, I see far too serious an agenda than I am interested in, with their emphasis on transgender, LGBT and political activism. I long for an opportunity to just have some fun now and then, doing something which to my experience was daring and adventurous, and broke a few of society's rigid rules, without actually hurting anybody or anything. That to me was crossdressing, and I feel like it is being taken away from me by an overzealous rightousness that is the modern transgender movement.

Thus my feelings of melancholy. I have gone from worrying about the implications of something that should have been fun for me, to accomplishing my own acceptance, only to find that the culture is treating my little peccadillo far too seriously.

Veronica

Hi, Veronica! I understand where you're coming from. The problem is that we TG's come in so many different varieties. We all have different needs and urges, and thus we have different agendas.

I'm not as old as you, but I know what you're talking about when you mention more modest times. I have some memories of the 50's and lots and lots from the early 60's when things were quieter and simpler. In ways, I still long for those times. When I see a film from the 40's, even though I wasn't even alive then, in ways I feel more at home in those times than I do in these. It's something my son (now 26) finds impossible to understand.

But this is where the difference between you and me comes into play. I don't CD because I find it exciting and adventurous. I do it because I feel "me". Today, e.g., I'm having what I call an "Annabelle Day"--a day when I have no shopping or errands to do, and so no real need to get out, and so I stay in and live for a day as Annabelle. I work on-line from home, and so as I work I really feel like me.

Thus, the mystique that surrounded womanhood back in our day was actually a hindrance to me. It would have been far better for me if things had been more open back then so that I could have faced up to my TGism long before I did, and perhaps I could have lived a lifestyle all my life that would have suited me better. So the political agenda you're talking about is something positive for me.

As I say, we have different agendas because we have different needs. There's no doubt that the mystique surrounding CDing is much less now than in our day. I don't ever recall such matters being discussed when I was young. So, yes, it's certainly losing bit by bit some of its daring and adventurous nature.

That said, I think it will remain daring and adventurous, at least to a certain extent, for some time to come. I have a hard time foreseeing the day when we TG's will be totally accepted as we are. When you're talking about sex and gender, you're tapping into some very deep feelings that people have, and those feelings don't just suddenly disappear. I think that all of us who are non-conforming, whether in sexual orientation or gender presentation, will be regarded as oddities for a while yet.

Or maybe forever. CDing is an odd thing, and I'm not sure that it will ever be regarded as just something that some people do. It may always be something that leaves people who don't do it feeling a bit uncomfortable.

Best wishes, Annabelle

monalisa
04-09-2012, 08:54 AM
Veronica you have summed up life so well. I can fully relate to what you are saying. I think we will all have some regrets as we leave this world and wonder what life was all about and how and what we have accomplished and what did we do that was memorable and how it helped someone or improved their lives. Sometimes I think I have just put my time in and haven't impacted the world.

Alice B
04-09-2012, 11:36 AM
I consider my journey as a bus ride, except I'm the driver. I can go where ever I want, skip locations that do not interest me or that I am uncomfortable with, and can just sit and idle while observing. The bus has no schedule, thus no expectations of having to be a a certain point at a specific time. I'm the only passenger, thus do not have to please others, only myself.

Persephone
04-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Very well said, Veronica!

There are things about being a CD/TG in today's world that I really love. Over the past year or so I have come out to nearly all of my friends and they have been accepting. Being free to be me is worth its weight in gold! And that definitely would not have happened back when I was growing up.

In my teens/20's I spent days and days combing libraries, hours and hours of painstakingly going through the card catalogs and the Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature, looking for just mere scraps of information. When I would visit any larger town or city I would make time to visit the library, hoping they might have some obscure book or rare pamphlet that might validate what I was feeling.

Today's CD/TG/TS youth have no such problem. Want to find a community? Come to a place like this. Want to find a surgeon whe does SRS? Ask Google.

I am probably out-and-about today because I do live in "modern times." And I am loving ever minute of it.

But I know where you are coming from. Every silver cloud has a dark side and part of ours is the agenda driven "true believers," the fanatics who believe that progress is made through protest and who try to herd us toward one side of the political spectrum, apparently unaware that they are just tools for someone else's agenda.

And I miss the days when there was the mystery that you mentioned. When women wore "unmentionables;" when girls were really made of "sugar and spice," and boys were made of "slugs and snails and puppy-dogs' tails."

My boy life was miserable back then, as teachers and other boys (today we would call them "bullies") tried to force me to be what I was so bad at being -- a boy. But I loved the sense of wonder about being a girl, something so lost in today's world when girls are so pressured into being nothing more than boys with slightly different upholstery.

The world turns. Each turn brings new good and new bad. I too miss what was, but I also love the good parts of what is and try, every day, to make the most of them.

Hugs,
Persephone.