PDA

View Full Version : Too Damn Tall :(

Anne2345
04-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I have harped on my height before in the past. Well, I'm about to do it again, and there is nothing you can do about it short of immediately exiting out of this post. So if you’re going to stick around, just let me rant for a minute . . . .

"Wow! You are really tall! Do you play basketball?"

This is a question that I have been asked many, many times throughout my life, and I was just asked it again just a little while ago. I am not actually sure exactly how many times I have been asked this question, but my guess is that it is somewhere around 11,546,368 times.

So yeah, at 6’4, I am tall. And I do play basketball. In fact, I have played hoops since I was a kid, and still to this day play it every week of the year, even at my current age of 42. I also happen to be quite good at it, thank you very much, but that is neither here nor there . . . .

But the thing is, I am too damn tall! That others remark about it while I am in drab confirms it. Statistics confirm it. There are taller guys out there than me, but not many. And there are even fewer women that are my height or taller. Just a miniscule number, actually, and not a number of any real significance.

Please, however, spare me the comfort. I have heard over and over again on this forum that there are more tall girls around than ever, that you have to own your height, that many will not pay attention to it regardless, and so on. From where I am standing, though, high within the clouds, I beg to differ. People do notice. It’s actually quite difficult not to notice when you are standing in the presence of someone that is towering over you.

As such, trying to blend in anonymously as a woman at 6’4 is damn near impossible. It is game over. I suppose, however, that there is nothing I can do about it, except to continue playing basketball until my stupid knees or ankles blow out. There is, after all, no amount of makeup that can conceal height.

But damn I hate it! It sucks! I am just too damn f'ing tall!

I can still hear the question in my mind from earlier today:

"Wow! You are really tall! Do you play basketball?"

Yes goddamnit! I am tall! I do play basketball! Now leave me alone, go away, and stop reminding me that I am one freaky tall ass chick!

Sigh.

Thank you for allowing me this rant. I'm done now.

STACY B
04-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Well you could have fooled me ,, Cuz I didn't even notice . Im to busy always looking at your PRETTY FACE !

Marleena
04-07-2012, 06:13 PM
We all have shortcomings. The question is do we move the barriers to happiness or leave them in our way?

Secret_Dresser
04-07-2012, 06:17 PM
I somewhat know the feeling, Im currently 6tf 5. Though I dont get asked/remarked about being tall. Most people I speak to are used to it and given my male look strangers would surely be a bit scared, being a tall goth has its advantages XD

I do feel for you since pretty much any heels would make us stick out even more in a crowd(though currently I havn't went out en femme).

Its not just the heels thats the problem I find tho, I find some clothing hard to find aswell.

Last thing I will say however is, forget what you think the world sees you as, try and use your height to your advantage when dressing. Not sure how currently but there will be a way to utilise it.

ReineD
04-07-2012, 06:21 PM
I'll spare you the cheering section comments. I agree, it is more difficult to be under people's radars when you're 6'4".

But, here's what I suggest:

1. Don't worry about the future so much, it's too nebulous. Just focus on the next step.

2. Begin by going to places dressed where it doesn't matter if you are read, for example a TG support group, or a place where they have good drag shows. Bring your wife. :)

3. Do this for 6 months to a year.

4. When you've reached the point of being comfortable with yourself in public, start going out to semi "safe" places, such as cafes or restaurants in the gay-friendly parts of town. Wear flats. Then you can branch out from there, such as having a manicure in a nail salon nearby, or doing some window shopping and perhaps even going into a shop or two. Do this for about 6 months.

5. Now we've reached the nebulous future, but let me say that if you just focus on steps 1-4 for now, over time you'll have found some places to go where you feel comfortable. You might have branched out even more. It won't matter whether the people who work at your regular haunts or the patrons fully understand who you are or not. You'll find that they'll treat you nicely in the manner that you present. :)

Julogden
04-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Yep, it does suck. I'm sick and tired of tiny, little 5'6" tall CD's telling us tall ones to "own" our height or that we should dress to blend. If they knew how annoying that is, they'd stop, except for the ones that enjoy annoying us. ;)

I used to get "How's the weather up there?" too. A non-CD friend of mine who was even an inch or two taller than me had a t-shirt made that said "No, I don't play basketball". Nowadays, if I were to have a shirt made, it would be a bit more rude. As I've gotten older, I've become more cranky too. :)

Carol

Chari
04-07-2012, 06:27 PM
It is always good to get the "rant" out in the open. IMO, there is always something about each of us as individuals which causes disappointment - too tall, too short, too heavy, too old, too young - and the list goes on! Try to accept all that you are and enjoy life.

Eryn
04-07-2012, 06:30 PM
I feel a lot better about being 6'2" now! Thanks! :)

I was grocery shopping in drab mode today and noted a GG who was about an inch taller than I. She was in flats. I wonder if she worries as much about being 6'3" as we do about being 6'2" or 6'4"?

At our height we are very good at estimating the height of people of similar height. However, to anyone much below the six foot mark we're all just "tall." When I do meet up with another tall woman the interaction is nearly always the same. We each glance at the other's feet, then look up and smile. Sometimes they're cheating with heels, I'm usually not! :)

Molly Wells
04-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Oh the Irony!
At 5'5" All of my life I have heard derogatory comments about me being short, made fun of, and on and on. Most of those who make those comments do so as a lame attempt at humor. I learned to live with it long ago but I never liked being the butt of someone's joke or the object of ridicule. Many think they are being funny and just don't get why it is irritating to me. I have learned to be "non responsive" to the comments and such as best as I can. But the flip side is that as I have embraced my femme side more and more as I have gotten older I really find my height to be very advantageous for me, and yes, I love it. Anne, I am not going to say embrace it because I do have empathy for you in there being something that you have no control over being made a point of others comments. Anne, my heart is with you but I just wish I could use this type of situation to make a point to some of those that I know that are really tall about the one advantage I have over them. LOL
Hugs,
Molly

Diana Bain
04-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Yep, your tall! I'll throw in 6' 1' with a 44" chest (linebacker shoulders and arms to go with it) 34" waist and no hips. In the grand scheme...we are who we are. I dress as a tall women...peroid end. I wear clothes that suit my height. Yes, 5'5" 36-24-36 would be nice, however...not in this lifetime. Enjoy who you are, life is to short!

rachaelsloane
04-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Anne,
You're not ranting, just letting us know you don't wear 5" heels.
Rachael

Stephanie47
04-07-2012, 07:40 PM
I use to be six foot two. Now I'm six foot even. At this rate I should be five foot six when I'm 260 years old. Oh, well. Now I have something to live for!!! :)

Sandra1746
04-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Any day you aren't lying in a hole with people throwing dirt in your face is a good day.
Enjoy the day whatever the circumstances of your body.

Hugs,
Sandra1746

Contessa
04-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Well you could have fooled me ,, Cuz I didn't even notice . Im to busy always looking at your PRETTY FACE !

I agree with Stacy, why not just say No I can't play at all. Unless you are actually proud of it. I can neither play basketball, nor do I look like as lovely a woman as you. Stay in the game we're glad to have you on our team. I know you get the pun. Go CDers!

Tess

Leslie Langford
04-07-2012, 08:22 PM
There is a type of surgery available to reduce a person's height, and it usually involves shortening the femur bones in the lower legs. But it is a risky and painful procedure that also involves a lengthy convalescence, and the results may not always turn out as expected.

Of course, the other option is to move to the Netherlands, which has - statistically speaking - the the tallest people in the world overall, both males and females:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height#Average_height_around_the_world

Far less of a problem in blending in there...;)

Marleena
04-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Of course, the other option is to move to the Netherlands, which has - statistically speaking - the the tallest people in the world overall, both males and females:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height#Average_height_around_the_world

Far less of a problem in blending in there...;)

It looks like we all need to avoid Bolivia:)

Marguarite
04-07-2012, 09:17 PM
We change the the things we can.
We accept the things we can't.
In the words of a little green guy with pointy ears "Size matters not".
The next time some asks if you play basket ball, tell them "Yes, and I could have gone Pro, if i only had a jump shot"

Jacqueline Winona
04-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Anne, my good friend as someone who stands 5'7" 1/4 on a good day, all I can say is be thankful you have a reason to shave your legs every day- hairless legs do much better when you suffer the inevitable floor or court burn while playing. Tell everyone who asks that Dave Cowens was your idol (I know you're old enough to know who I'm talking about). As for the rest of your issue, as someone who in male mode is always too short to be taken seriously, I can feel your pain. But I also live by the underestimate me at your peril creed and have found a way to use that issue to my advantage. :)

Anne2345
04-07-2012, 09:44 PM
We all have shortcomings.

Shortcomings? In this instance, don't ya mean (wait for it, wait for it) tallcomings? Ouch! That was HORRIBLE! I apologize to everyone for that . . . .

Its not just the heels thats the problem I find tho, I find some clothing hard to find aswell.

Don't even get me started on the difficulty of finding women's clothing that fits properly. It's not impossible, but it involves much time and effort. :facepalm:

I'll spare you the cheering section comments.

Thank you, Reine! And thank you for everything else, as well! :)

Oh the Irony! At 5'5" All of my life I have heard derogatory comments about me being short, made fun of, and on and on.
. . .
Anne, my heart is with you but I just wish I could use this type of situation to make a point to some of those that I know that are really tall about the one advantage I have over them. LOL

LOLOLOLOL!!!! Very well played, and nicely done! :hugs:

Enjoy who you are, life is to short!

No pun intended, right? ;)

Any day you aren't lying in a hole with people throwing dirt in your face is a good day.

Well, um, since you put it that way, I suppose being too damn tall is better than being too damn dead. :straightface:

The next time some asks if you play basket ball, tell them "Yes, and I could have gone Pro, if i only had a jump shot"

But I do have a jump shot! The WNBA should be calling for me any moment now. Hold on a sec, I hear the phone ringing . . . .

I agree with Stacy, why not just say No I can't play at all. Unless you are actually proud of it. I can neither play basketball, nor do I look like as lovely a woman as you. Stay in the game we're glad to have you on our team. I know you get the pun. Go CDers!

I am proud of it. Point well taken. But you are otherwise much too kind to me! I really appreciate it nonetheless . . . . :)

Have I told you how much I love you lately? Because I really do . . . . :o

Frédérique
04-07-2012, 09:45 PM
But damn I hate it! It sucks! I am just too damn f'ing tall!

This is why I look UP to you, Anne... :heehee:

BTW, I’m just a shade less than six feet tall... :)

sometimes_miss
04-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Anne, I'm your height. Like you, I love basketball, and played until my knees gave out. Now all I do is shoot baskets and still dream about driving the lane against Chamberlain.
It's not so bad. Long sleeves become 3/4 sleeves. normal skirts become pretty short skirts. I wear 3" heels, they look pretty, and don't feel much different than my guy shoes, but sadly few styles in a size 16 (if you want my 5"heels you can have 'em, my knees can't tolerate them anymore).
The last time I even saw a woman as tall or taller than me was about 30 years ago, when a woman's basketball team came into a restaurant I was in at the time.
Remember the good stuff. People are intimidated by height. They pretty much leave us alone. We get served first at counters; I can't tell you how many times I'm standing with a group of people and the salesperson walks up and looks right at me and says 'How can I help you?' even though it's pretty clear I wasn't the first one in line.
Of course, I still can't fit into my damned dream car, the Lotus Europa.
But if I ever see you across the top of the crowd, I'll wave.

Barbara Dugan
04-07-2012, 10:02 PM
I kind of hate my size at 5'10'' not really a towering height , but I am Hispanic and the great majority of my relatives are an average of 5'5''.

Jeanna
04-07-2012, 10:12 PM
You are tall and beautiful, stop your complaining :)

Bree Wagner
04-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Everyone deserves a good rant every now and again. Anne, you did it well and with a good sense of humor about it, I'm impressed. The other day I had a major rant about the 'quality' of a paper I had to review. Going nuts over the poor use of English is a trivial thing compared to what you're dealing with so, by all means, rant on when you need to. Hopefully you'll feel better afterwards. If not, maybe ranting isn't for you! ;)
-Bree

ReineD
04-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Anne, forgive me. I think maybe I should have been a guy. I jumped right into the "fix-it" mode. You were just ranting. :p

Lyric
04-07-2012, 11:07 PM
I don't think you have to apologize, Reine. I'm frequently impressed at the quality of good advice you give here and all readers benefit. You could probably make a living at it.

~ Lyric ~

Lynn Marie
04-07-2012, 11:12 PM
The funny thing is that you answered all your own questions, etc. in your rant. So why did anybody bother to post responses? It makes me laugh. Why did you rant in the first place?

So you won't pass. Boo hoo, hardly any of us will really pass. Find a club, put on your favorite heels and go party with your friends and the other big girls. That, and a few other things are what I do to get out. I've learned to tailor clothes from thrift shops, and I've styled my look for what is available for a 6'3" girl who is a throwback to the 50's. Yes, there are places I avoid. That's life in the big city.

pernille d
04-08-2012, 02:02 AM
Like you say " nothing you can do about being tall " I am 6.2 and I know I am tall at 6.2 + heels but that's how it is . As long as every thing is in proportion it's not so much of s problem . You can't hide your hight but you can wear clothing to make the good bits look better . Lucky for me I have some ok legs so by showing them off right takes the emphisiss of my hight. Yeah a few cm would be smaller but for meci don't worry about that too much as I wish I Had just smaller feet as I am very limited in choice when it comes to heels :-(

As a last note I do work with fashion models and I often get a small feeling . I wear flat shoes and the models wear heels and even at 6.2 I feel small. There are more and more tall girls out there and it's not so much a problem for them to wear heels like it was a few years back . concentrate on getting the whole picture right and a you can get the few extra " to seem smaller. ( no body has ever commented on my hight but I do get often commented on my nice long legs) . = hight is not such a big problem only in your mind ,

Jennifer Monroe
04-08-2012, 03:23 AM
I am 6'4 and look great as a guy. I have lots of women liking me and men always refer me as a man's man. There is a compliment there its just I dont feel like a 6'4 guy most of the time though. I love dressing up too much and I feel like a woman. I dont dress now because my wife would probably lecture me and its not worth the aggravattion. She will tell me I look ridiculous and I need my head examined. Obviously I will never pass but its what you feel on the inside that counts. You look lovely to me, Anne!

Kristy_K
04-08-2012, 03:31 AM
Anne,

Being tall does suck. I am 6'2", my partner is 6'5". We also have a friend, she is 6'7". When we go places we turn heads. People have even ask if they can have there pictures taken with us. I also use to worry about my height but not any more. Like my partner says....( No matter how they try. They won't forget us. ) And people don't forget us which is nice in a lot of ways. We have even received special treatment at times.

For me, it has become easier to enjoy being tall now then spending my time hating it.

Kristy

girltoy
04-08-2012, 03:37 AM
In my humble opinion, when asked if you play basketball, you should ask the questioner if they play miniature golf. :D

My Ob/Gyn instructor claimed she was "only" 6'1", however when standing next to her (at 5'10") I only came up to her shoulder. So, there are some GGs who face the same dilemma, granted in smaller numbers. Of course, when she tells an expecting mother to push, they're usually too afraid not to! :laughing:

Princess29
04-08-2012, 08:43 AM
One day at work a woman came through who it turns out was 7 feet 2 and when the queensland netball team comes through at work, all the women who play on that team are at least 6 feet with the tallest being 6 feet 5.
I know that has nothing to do with how tall you are. Everyone has a body issue that they'd love to change about themselves and for every taller person who wishes they were shorter, there is a shorter person who wishes they were taller. I cant buy wigs or hats to fit me, they just dont make them that big. I'd give anything to be able to walk into a store and buy a hat "off the rack" but that is not an option for me. Its something that cant be changed, my head is as big as it is and its not going to get any smaller as much as I'd like it to. I just have to try and make the best of it, play the hand that I've been dealt

Sara Jessica
04-08-2012, 08:45 AM
Solace, it's all I have to offer.

I have a dear friend who is north of 6' yet with her grace, beauty and confidence, she truly comes across as being on the south side of 6'.

Someone said we all have shortcomings to deal with. I agree 100% but I would instead call them challenges. Rant taken but in all honesty, if it's something that cannot be changed, then it really isn't worth the aggravation to worry about it so much.

LeaP
04-08-2012, 09:06 AM
My Word, You're FORTY TWO? :D

Lea (ducking and running)

stacycoral
04-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Anne, girl i know what you mean, i am your height, i still love wearinf 3" heels as much as possible, and the question i know it too. But i only played in junior high and not since, but yes also how many times i have been asked how tall am i, girl i feeel your pain. hugs

Soriya
04-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Anne,

I totally empathize with you but from the opposite end of the spectrum. At 41 I stand 5'8''-5'9''. OK, that is considered the 'average' height of a man but firstly, who the hell gets paid to study statistics like that? LOL!! I empathize because even thought I am the 'average' height, I still feel very short. I was a late bloomer, looked like a 6th grader in 10th grade at 5'2'' and wearing glasses. If you ever saw the 1986 movie Lucas, well, that was me except I didn't eat bugs LOL. I grew to 5'6'' by 12th grade and almost another 3'' in the two years after. On the opposite side of things, I stuck out like a sore thumb in High School for being so short, even most of the girls were taller then me. This led to more bullying then I care to remember and I always wanted to be taller, even now. I still feel short when around others who are taller then me, even by an inch. My issue when dressing is I am built like a running back! Funny thing is, only when dressed to boot, I wish I was thinner and even shorter at times. I will never know what it's like to be 'Too tall' but can understand the feeling of sticking out, just from the opposite end. Now if I was ever to meet you or hang out as sisters, I would sport some 8" platform go-go shoes to blend in with you but it wouldn't matter, I would be staring at your face anyway :o

wendy360
04-08-2012, 12:13 PM
I'm 6'5" and get the same comments, wow your tall do you play basketball. I tell them I tried out for the NBA but was told I'm too short.
The great thing about being tall is we have nice long legs. Love em.

Foxglove
04-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Anne, I know where you're coming from. A good buddy of mine (long ago) was tall, somewhat over 6 feet, and he told me it could be a curse--like people expecting you to be able to do certain things just because you're big. All of us who are "out-size" have problems.

I had the most amazing experience yesterday. I was doing a bit of shopping in Dublin and ended up in Penney's. Now this was a Saturday afternoon, and the place was stuffed to the gills with people of the female persuasion. I got in the queue to pay for a few things, and after a while I got to looking around--and like, wow! There was one other guy in the queue, the rest of them women, and for the first time in my life, I didn't feel so small (at 5' 3"). True, the woman just ahead of me towered over me, and most of the others were taller than me--though not by much. And there were at least three that I saw who were smaller than me. All in all, I was certainly a bit below average in that group, but again, not by much. For the first time in my life, I felt more or less average, which is a big step up from what I've felt all my life.

I told myself (not for the first time), "You should have been a girl all your life!" Too tall, too small, there's problems either way. So go ahead and rant. I've done plenty of that myself--just from the other end of the spectrum.

Best wishes, Annabelle

Amanda22
04-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Anne, I'm only an inch shorter than you, but 10 years older. The extra age I have on you has shown me that there are things that just aren't worth worrying about. I stop short of calling that wisdom; rather it's just starting to get tired of wanting everything to be perfect. For me, the worst part of my height and general build is finding clothes that fit. I love shoes and dresses, and it's rare I can find any to fit. I have a grand total of 5 dresses and 7 pairs of shoes, and I'm frequently looking for more.

I predict your height will become less noticeable to you as you spend more time in public. Even with heels, people just don't notice me. And locally, I see GGs as tall as myself all the time. Maybe it's the local nuclear plant causing that? But my point is, our height concerns us more than it does anyone else, if that is helpful.

KimberlyJean
04-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Rant on girl! But those worry lines aren't going to help that pretty face.

I always liked tall girls so when I get to be one it is just a bonus! I am ONLY 6'1" so I stick with lower heels or flats but if the occasion came up I would rock the 5" heels I have in the closet. Something I find funny though is when you do wear heels around the house for a while and you get used to that height then when you take them off and feel short.

Sherrii
04-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Yes , I know just how you feel, I am the same height as you. I would love to be able to blend in and if I could I would go out dressed sometimes. As it is I under dress and dress at home. As to what to say to the "do you play basketball?" question. well I say " Why no, do you play miniture golf?" Usually ends the line of questioning right there. Hang in there, Sherrii

Kristyn Hill
04-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Anne, The only thing I would notice is how beautiful you are. Ok, maybe your long legs in pretty shoes and a gorgeous dress. I know it is frustrating because I have pounds to lose and that sucks big time as well. You are beautiful inside and out so take off your rings and heels and hit the court. We have a game to play. I will be at the post waiting for the win from the tip-off.

Kristyn

kimdl93
04-08-2012, 04:46 PM
I met Phil Jackson when he had just joined the Knicks....tallest person I'd ever met. But he looked sutlrprisingly good in a skirt... ok the last part is a lie.... I'm a tad shorter than you, Anne, but still too tall. Can't change it so I live with it. What else ya gonna do?

Sam-antha
04-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Does no one here know about Beach Volleyball ? Its much more than basketball in the open air.

~S~

Launa
04-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Theres always something we'll find wrong with ourselves. I'm 6'2", wide shoulders and 3x hands. Did I forget to mention that I have a big melon? So I feel your pain, Your profile pic looks pretty darn good so you need to remember that!

Lyric
04-09-2012, 11:13 AM
My favorite crossdresser in the world right now is model Andrej Pejic, who's 6'2" and steals every fashion show or magazine feature he appears in. He doesn't try to "pass", but rather seems to simply enjoy his femininity. We can't all be top models, but we can all take a bit of that attitude.

~ Lyric ~

YorkshireRose
04-09-2012, 11:41 AM
I am not going to patronize you regarding your height, just let you rant, get it off your chest and comment on how pretty you are.

"You have such a beautiful face!"

Hugs Charlotte

terrianncd
04-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Molly,
I'm there with you at 5'3" tall. As a guy, life is really tough being this small. Made fun of, butt of most jokes, Would not be considered for a date in guy mode with a GG. I too have learned to deal with this insenstivity by most all others(both genders) I encounter. But in girl mode, Life is sweet, clothes fit, shoes bought off the rack, all fashions seem taylor made....some justice in the world afterall.

BunnieCashmere
04-09-2012, 03:48 PM
I'm right there with you, 6' 4" when not wearing heels, and I prefer to wear at least 5" heels, and I have a few pair of 6" heels. So yeah, 6' 10"? There's no concealing that. That's half the reason I've never gone out dressed, I'm sure I'd get tons of attention just based on height alone. Ugh!

shoelover80
04-09-2012, 04:26 PM
I met Phil Jackson when he had just joined the Knicks....tallest person I'd ever met. But he looked sutlrprisingly good in a skirt...

Funny!
This whole thread is pretty darn funny. This is definitely what the tall lads/ladies here need every now and then - commiserate and have a laugh. I am 6'2" and Asian (ack) - the Caucasian equivalent of a 7-footer.

Jocelyn Quivers
04-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Sorry for your dilema Anne, if it helps you look far younger than 42. While being 5'6" does help more for passibility purposes in my case, having size 11-12 womens feet really looks kind of awkward on my shorter frame. Also one side rant for being short in male mode, I lost count of the number of times GG's were turned off with me during my single days because they found a short guy to be a turn off, not that it matters at this point.

Marleena
04-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Okay that's it!!

I'm going to shut my mouth, that wasn't funny, sorry..

Shananigans
04-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Hmmm...a lot of people "hate" me because I'm "tall and skinny." I just can't relate. I guess I'm 5'10", which is a bit different. But, I'm 6'1"-6'2" in my favorite style of heels. I see it as other people's problem...not mine.

P.S. I look better in skirts and heels than people with stumpy legs :( Damn my life!!!

Veronica27
04-10-2012, 02:46 PM
THE BEST THINGS ABOUT BEING TALL AS A MAN:

As a guy, you get a certain amount of respect, whether you deserve it or not.
Its easy to change light bulbs, reach the top shelf in the kitchen and in the shops.
Comes in real handy playing first base, as well as the usual questions about basketball.
You can always see over the crowd, especially a mostly Asian crowd.
Easier to trim the trees, clean the gutters, and all that other "fun" stuff around the house.

tHE WORST THINGS ABOUT BEING TALL AS A MAN:

Beds are often too short. Also couches are terrible for taking a nap.
Bumping your head on so many things made for small people. (bus railings, airport scanners, door jams, tree branches etc.)
Being constantly asked to get things from upper shelves in kitchens and shops.
Getting into, and at my age especially, getting out of cars that are getting smaller and smaller, while the population gets bigger and bigger.
Buying hats (male or female) when your head is proportionate to your height.

THE BEST THINGS ABOUT BEING TALL AS A CROSSDRESSER:

Can't think of any.

THE WORST THINGS ABOUT BEING TALL AS A CROSSDRESSER:

Very difficult to find clothing, especially dresses.
Almost impossible to not be noticed.
Reading comments about "lots of tall women out there", "just wear flat heels and clothes that mask your height" "it all depends on your confidence and attitude" etc.

Yes, there is good and bad about being tall. Being somewhere between 6' 3' to 6' 4" depending upon how well my 73 year old body is holding up on any given day, I fully understand the dilemma facing a tall crossdresser. I don't believe that very many of us can truly pass, if that is our wish, regardless of our height, but many of us would simply like to not stand out like the proverbial thumb. And maybe the opportunity to wear those big stiletto heels is one of the things we really enjoy about crossdressing. Of all the features that can cause us to be read, I believe that height is right behind facial hair and somewhat ahead of a protruding Adam's apple, large hands and broad shoulders. Facial hair is largely a matter of choice, so that would elevate height to number 1, and the other features can be somewhat masked by clothing choices. I have seen a number of 6' foot or taller women, but few of them have been anywhere near my 240 lb. or so weight. Yes there are lots of women of that weight, but mostly much shorter than 6'.

I have written a number of postings here and elsewhere mentioning my height as a limiting factor on my ability to go out as freely as some, and as easily as I might wish. These comments are usually met by the usual "stop worrying, quit complaining, boo hoo" type comments, but I am simply stating facts and not griping about anything. I like being tall. As a child, I was a late bloomer, height wise, and was also a year ahead of most of my classmates. Therefore most of my school days were spent as one of the little guys, always picked to be at the top of the pyramid in gym classes, and yes bullied to some extent. Growing well over 6 foot, brought a great relief to me, as I was now looked up to. A few years ago, while on vacation, I was waiting for an elevator, and a guy who must have been about 6' 6", came up to me, shook my hand and said "another normal person, great to meet you"

Long tall Veronica

Foxglove
04-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Has anyone else noticed something about buying clothes in department stores--say T-shirts or undershorts? They always put the small ones on the top shelf where the small guys can't reach them, and they put the XL ones on the bottom shelf where the big guys have to break their backs to get at them. Seems like they'd cop on that the other way around would be better for everybody.

Bree-asaurus
04-10-2012, 10:47 PM
I don't even need to read you're post Anne. You're 6'4" ... I'm 6'3" I have NEVER... EVER had an issue :)

And for the record, I have met a few women in public at my eye-line. I don't think they have any issues either :)

GingerLeigh
04-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Anne, the good news is that as we age we tend to get shorter. I WAS around 6'2", but now I'm 6'1" and 42 as well. Tall sucks I agree, but aside from some form of horrific amputation there ain't much we can do about it.

If it's worth anything, being taller usually means long legs. THAT, my friend is sexy regardless of height.

Ginger

Kaitlyn Michele
04-11-2012, 08:01 AM
Height is an overrated "tell"... hand size/shape, foot size/shape, broad shoulders/torso and the middle of your face are at least as important. that being said, being 6'4 is usually gonna mean big hands and feet..

If you are crossdressing, you just have to deal with it when you are out...very few pass totally, so if its your height catching you up, then so be it...own it as part of your look, and look your best..... long fashions look especially great on tall girls...

If you are thinking about transition, then its a bit different..you will have to get over yourself and realize that just like all the other 6'4 girls, your height will get you noticed..end of story...and getting to the point of where you don't notice or care anymore is just another of the many hurdles of transition...at 6'2 i know...for you the hurdle would be a little higher....in fact, 2" higher...

I would say in my daily out and abouts, i see a woman taller than me every other day.

TGMarla
04-11-2012, 08:40 AM
I suck at basketball. I have a vertical leap of ..... INCHES!!! And I'm not talking a whole lot of them, either. My shot clanks more than swishes (I have dresses for that), and I can't dribble very well, especially with my left hand. Oh well, at least I'm only 5' 9", so I'm on the outside cusp of "not too tall" for passing as a woman. Hey, that's at least 6' in heels, and that's enough. So I get why you feel that way. I like you anyway.

LisaM
04-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Anne,

I agree. I'm 6'3" and my height was always the reason I decided not to transition--twice. But it doesn't stop me from going out when I can because it helps when I do.

Inna
04-11-2012, 09:50 AM
I just loooove to attach these images, here is a 6'4'' without the hills that is! And no this is not your average super model GG, she walked the same path we had!

Veronica27
04-11-2012, 10:17 AM
, here is a 6'4'' without the hills that is!

She appears to have very nice hills.

Oh! you meant heels. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist it)

Veronica

Veronica27
04-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Has anyone else noticed something about buying clothes in department stores--say T-shirts or undershorts? They always put the small ones on the top shelf where the small guys can't reach them, and they put the XL ones on the bottom shelf where the big guys have to break their backs to get at them. Seems like they'd cop on that the other way around would be better for everybody.

When building a pile, you always put the big things on the bottom, and the smallest things on top. That must be their logic.

Veronica

Inna
04-11-2012, 10:35 AM
She appears to have very nice hills.

Oh! you meant heels. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist it)

Veronica

There is that foreign syndrome steel surfacing occasionally, butt I hope I didn't make a "dam us" of my shelf! but then....................:o

MsJanessa
04-11-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm 5'11'' 1/2 barefoot and much higher in My heels---I've always been really attracted to tall (taller than me) ladies either GG or TG----one of the most attractive cd's Ive ever dated is 6'7" in heels (about 6'3" without)---My problem has been I've found it hard to find taller ladies to date

Alice Torn
04-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Anne, Dittos here!! I am six foot six, and I hate the constant attention to it, too, and have had no success finding a tall single woman near my age 0f 57! Very tall women are far more numerous in Europe I am told, but, where i have lived, extremely few tall single ones. A lot of tall married ones, sigh. I would definitely go out dressed more, if I were 10 inches shorter, but I stick out like a sore thumb, at six foot nine in heels. Only from a hundred feet away , maybe. I feel your pain, and also love to shoot baskets.

Diane Elizabeth
04-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Anne, What is too tall?

suspender
04-12-2012, 06:14 AM
Tall? What's tall and I am in your ball park..everyone i talk to about height says we are the same height laying down!!

Sharon B.
04-12-2012, 07:14 AM
6'-4" here also that is not the reason I don't venture out, my voice is deep that soon as I would say something everyone would know I was male. I still dress and go out for drives or under-dress and wear makeup with sun glasses when I go grocery shopping. I know one of these days I will say the h*ll with it and go out and about as the person I wish I were.

noeleena
04-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Hi.

No matter what we think is our issue i have a few , yet when we allow that or those issues to rule us we fail because we let our selfs down , the comments yes i understand that , i allso understand we have good points about us ,

what about all those other details good points about you that you have dont they stand for some thing or are they all thrown out because of one as you see it a fail point,

as iv said i have a lot they come up & yes they get me down at times & i feel hurt get very embarrist & wont to hide away,

You know what it is a struggle . now do i let that stop myself , had i, i would not be where i am now .

You have your issues i have mine , we must not stop being who we are we must not just lay down & die . we have to press on & live as though those issues are ether worked through or left behind .

Yes its a day to day detail , my point is i have been accepted & its despite of my issues its ether over looked or does not enter in to our relasionships that i have with people,

I refuse to let it stop myself being who i am or stop what i do . we have to & i know some of us dont , accept our selfs regardless of our issues,

You know in our training were trained to look straight ahead not to the left or right because we would fall down so we keeped going, train your mind to not be beaten by that issue,

...noeleena...

barbseattle
04-17-2012, 06:55 AM
I always say 5'12" it sound better. It has really caught on I have friends that say 5'14"

most of the time folks don't notice. They hear the 5'... and don't pay attention