PDA

View Full Version : This thread could go many places.

JessHaust
04-10-2012, 08:47 AM
So I read another thread and started to post this, but it was not the direction of the thread. So here it is, and this one can go many ways.

My oldest daughter suffers from severe OCD. A few weeks ago we were at a intense therapy clinic for the week. During one of the sessions where I was present, she told the Dr about my cross dressing. He smiled and in an effort, I think, to let me know he was alright with it, he asked if I had seen a particular movie, I had not. He then started to describe it with "It's about a drag queen....". At this point my daughtert sounds off " No, my dad is not a drag queen, drag queens are performers that exaggerate women, my dad is a cross dresser and they try to look like real women,...." . She pretty much took him to town on his misunderstanding of the transgendered. Later in the week he came back and explained that he had done some research and was now aware of the differences.
Anyway, I was never so proud of her than at that point.

Laura912
04-10-2012, 08:52 AM
What can you say....kids!! And you have one to be really proud of!!

Renee W
04-10-2012, 09:10 AM
I'm impressed with the fact that the therapist took the time to do some research and was willing to share with you that he was wrong and had learned something.

kimdl93
04-10-2012, 09:13 AM
You have a very good daughter. It suggests that you're a very good parent as well. Also, I'm impressed by her psychologist - he clearly took her coments to heart, investigated and was willing to acknowledge his error.

YorkshireRose
04-10-2012, 09:18 AM
I only learnt this fact since joining the forum. Your daughter certainly did you proud Jess.

Foxglove
04-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Dear Jess,

Could you please allow me to do a few sessions of counseling with your daughter? You name the fee. Perhaps she could explain to me what I am. It would certainly be worth the price to me.

Many thanks and best wishes,
Annabelle

Kimberlyfaye
04-10-2012, 12:21 PM
It's so great your daughter did that. You obviously have a wonderful little girl. It's also great that he went to research these topics aftet the talking to by your daughter. Well done to him for actually realising the difference and his mistake.

Nichola
04-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Wow, you have a great understanding daughter.:)

Jocelyn Quivers
04-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Excellent, hopefully he will convince more of his colleagues to do the same.

Silentpartner GG SO
04-10-2012, 01:17 PM
what an excellent result - you have a wonderful daughter and the therapist is a sensible person who took the time to research and get informed.

DCChris
04-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Daughters can be so awesome. Great story about the relationship you have with yours.

JessHaust
04-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Can't really post names, but the therapist here is a really great one. His specialty is OCD, and he knows it inside out. The problem is that he is in a city several hundred miles away.

My Daughter now has a local therapist who is good as well, doing the maintance work with her, this one is local.
The new one was told just last week and by accident. When my daughter told her she was helping me get ready to go out, The therapist had to stop and say "what? I don't understand?" , it was priceless. She was informed and was also cool with it, but has not really asked any questions except for 'How does your wife react?'. I think she feels like she has just seen what's down the rabbit hole and is not sure she wanted to see.

It's OK, I really don't mind and love seeing the look on their faces when my daughter explains how she goes out with me and 'The girls'!

Cheryl T
04-11-2012, 01:59 PM
As the show used to remind us...."Kids say the darnedest things".

Kids see things in a way that is unencumbered with stereotypes and prejudices...too bad they grow up to be adults....