PDA

View Full Version : Telling Your Children - Some advice from professionals

JamieG
04-10-2012, 12:35 PM
In another thread, I mentioned that I had attended the Keystone conference and among other things, went to a session on "Telling your Children," presented by Dr. Maureen Osborne (gender psychologist) and Alexis Lake (licensed social worker). I was asked by a poster to comment on the session, and thought it might be of general interest, so I started a separate thread.

The session started with the question: "Should you tell your children?" The somewhat obvious answer is "Yes, if you intend a public transition" and "Maybe" otherwise.

Then Dr. Osborne talked about good reasons and bad reasons to want to tell your children. She said that if it was only to make your life more convenient, that was a bad reason, but if it was to have a better relationship with your children, then that was a good reason. In particular, I had brought up that I don't want to lie to my children, but the it's getting more difficult to redirect or misdirect the questions. In Dr. Osborne's opinion, being able to express the ideals of honesty that you expect from them is a good thing. However, she also said, if you and your spouse were involved in some kinky bedroom behaviors, you probably wouldn't feel the need to tell the children about that, so there is a line (not that she was comparing CDing to kink, but making the point that we don't need to tell our children everything we do).

She went on to point out that if you tell your children, you need to craft the message in an age-appropriate way. Reassure them, and tell them no matter what, your love for them will not change. If the questions become too detailed or the situation become too uncomfortable for either of you, you can always say "I see that this is a lot for you to take in. Why don't you take some time to think about it, and we can discuss more later if you like."

The final thing that was a bit of a surprise to me was that she said in all of her years working with the TG community, she has never once heard of a child being bullied or teased by his/her peers due to having a TG parent. I'm not sure if I believe this, but it would be nice to think so. She said that instead, sometimes other kids think that having a TG parent is a bit like having a rock star for a parent: i.e., a person who rebels against the conformity that is an anathema to many teens.

Hope this helps. Feel free to discuss and ask questions. If I recall anything else, I'll add it.

suzy1
04-10-2012, 12:47 PM
A very interesting thread Jamie.

I don’t see how anyone could be more balanced in there advice than Dr Osborne but……..

I have seen the misery that children have gone through at school because there dad wears a dress. Just my opinion but I think this is THE reason to think very hard indeed about this.

SUZY

Barbara Ella
04-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Excellent points here. However, like you and Suzy, i am skeptical of having never seen examples of bullying over this. I really believe this is a danger with children knowing and accepting, and not being aware of the general public opinion, which children are only too able to parrot. I do think that the age of the individuals will be a major factor in whether this happens.

Barbara

lucy lockette
04-10-2012, 01:58 PM
I made the decision to let my 10 year old son know that i am a part time crossdresser. My reason for this is because, me gf and I were out and about shopping recently and we had a look in our local Ann Summers store.

Me and gf saw a sexy sales assistant and i do mean sexy, but i was surprised to learn that the sexy sales assistant was in fact a crossdresser and obviously a very passable one except for her voice.

I then asked my gf to go back into the shop later and find out some info about her and if she is up for a meet sometime.
As i now have a great chance of mixing with other xdressers i felt i had to let my son know about my secret life. he took it quite well too, although he did laugh at my pics.
he is yet to see me actually as lucy.

Bree Wagner
04-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Thanks for posting Jaime! It's kind of the advice I expected, good common sense stuff, but always reassuring to hear from the professionals.
-Bree

Miriam-J
04-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Thanks for sharing, Jamie. This is something that I still wrestle with, even with a 19 year old kid who's open to a lot of lifestyles. I'd sure like to tell him someday, but realize that it needs to be for his benefit rather than my own.

Miriam

YorkshireRose
04-10-2012, 04:22 PM
A very interesting thread Jamie.

I don’t see how anyone could be more balanced in there advice than Dr Osborne but……..

I have seen the misery that children have gone through at school because there dad wears a dress. Just my opinion but I think this is THE reason to think very hard indeed about this.

SUZY

I agree with Suzy 100%, kids can be very cruel, personally I would only ever consider telling my children, when they were out of education and old enough to process the information and understand it.

Launa
04-10-2012, 08:49 PM
I don't see any point in telling my kids, really who would benefit? They just don't need to know and I'm not telling a lie unless they were to ask me and I said no. If they ask, I might have to fess up and tell them but I won't be volunteering any info on the subject to get the ball rolling.

Rogina B
04-10-2012, 08:55 PM
My ten yr old daughter has known now for 5 years....Little girls are pretty accepting..I feel that I can be a better role model for a girl than a boy and always have felt that way..As far as other kids knowing and the rediculing,that hasn't happened and I doubt it ever will. Just my experience...

Josie M
04-10-2012, 08:55 PM
I'm on the fence about this but I do have this line of thought....

There's a lot of hatred these days for people who seem a little different. I really want to be able to teach my children to be better than that. If them finding out that their dad is trans helps, then maybe that's a good thing.

But, honestly, I just don't know....

danielle.cd
04-10-2012, 10:57 PM
My ten yr old daughter has known now for 5 years....Little girls are pretty accepting..I feel that I can be a better role model for a girl than a boy and always have felt that way..As far as other kids knowing and the rediculing,that hasn't happened and I doubt it ever will. Just my experience...

wow what better way to connect woth your daughter than to play dress up with her and the such that would be so cool i have sons and they think my wigs are holoween discusses but have never seen me dressed even on holoween

JamieG
04-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts on this complex issue. I have a few specific comments/questions...

As i now have a great chance of mixing with other xdressers i felt i had to let my son know about my secret life. he took it quite well too, although he did laugh at my pics.
he is yet to see me actually as lucy.

Lucy, have you asked your son to keep this information private? If not, has he talked about with his friends?

Rogina, thanks for sharing. So your experience appears to agree with Dr. Osborne's. Do you think this is because your daughter has chosen not to tell anyone? Or are her friends really cool with it? Is it possible that she has taken some flak, but chosen not to let you know about it, in order to "protect you?"

I'm on the fence about this but I do have this line of thought....

There's a lot of hatred these days for people who seem a little different. I really want to be able to teach my children to be better than that. If them finding out that their dad is trans helps, then maybe that's a good thing.

But, honestly, I just don't know....

That's a noble thought, Josie. I am trying to raise my girls to be accepting of people of all types: different races, religions, political beliefs, sexual and gender identity, etc. They have both attended a preschool that is quite multicultural: the class is about evenly divided among caucasian, Asian, African American and Hispanic. They have met a number of our gay friends, although we haven't come right out and said: "Girls, meet Tim. Tim is a gay man." I think the best way to teach our children is to model the behaviors we expect from them. Knowing their dad is trans might help to personalize the issue for my kids, but at this point I don't think it is necessary.