PDA

View Full Version : Hurt by my own Mother's humor

Kristy_Iowa_CD
04-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Good afternoon Ladies!

I haven't visited here for a long time. My oldest will be starting school this fall so other priorities have been taking my time. However today I felt compelled to post, mostly just to vent or perhaps for a little bit of therapy.

I am still in the closet about my cross-dressing. This is due almost exclusively to my family and career. I work for a large employer and they make a fairly big deal about acceptance and diversity. However, my career is typically a male-dominated field and despite my company's attempts at tolerance I am bombarded with homo-phobic and intolerant jokes and remarks on a daily basis. At work I am “just one of the guys” and no matter how many times I have indicated I am not interested in such humor my co-workers seem to think that my views on politics, sexuality, and gender are just as narrow-minded as theirs.

Unfortunately my family is also just as intolerant. I come from a close, loving Irish Catholic family. My parents raised me with excellent morals and I love them dearly. I have never in my life heard my parents make a crude, intolerant, or discriminatory remark about someones gender identify or sexuality. They have however, made their intolerance perfectly clear to me throughout my life by letting me know that they believe issues of gender identity and sexuality to be a matter of choice and that those who choose to engage in those “lifestyles” should not have any rights to do so.

I decided at an early age to keep my cross-dressing in the closet. The turning point came when I was 16. I had been experimenting with my mother's makeup and clothing since I was in grade school. When I was 15 we had a neighborhood-wide garage sale. I was helping one of our neighbors, who had a college-age daughter at the time, load clothing that had not sold into a box for Good Will. Although it was wrong I ended up taking a floral print bodysuit, pair of women's jeans, and a pair of panties that had all belonged to their daughter, for myself. I am not happy about having stolen them, but I figured since they were going to Good Will no one would really miss them and this was the first time in my life that I had my own female clothing.

Almost a year later my mother found the girls clothing hidden in my room. When I arrived home from high school that day my father immediately took me to my room to talk. I will never forget that talk in my life. Although my father was a gentle, caring man, I could see the anger in his face and voice. He demanded an explanation of what the clothing was for and where I had got it. For the first time in my life I was terrified about my cross-dressing. Rather than tell the truth, I made up an elaborate lie (I don't even remember what it was now), which my parents eventually accepted (whether or not they believed it I do not know). My mother, in the mean time, had thrown the clothing in the trash.

Like my co-workers I have made it clear to my family that I do not share their views about gender identify and sexuality. However, their political views (e.g. LGBT rights, etc.) still surface in my presence occasionally. I respect that everyone is entitled to their opinion and as I mentioned earlier, my parents (or immediate family members for that matter) have never made a crude or insulting statement about gender and sexuality in my presence. This all changed last week however.

Last week in my Inbox was an email from my mother. She had forwarded a joke to me and some other immediate family members. I am not going to repost the joke, and I will acknowledge that the story was written in a humorous vernacular, however the subject matter was extremely upsetting to me. The basic premise of the joke was the murder of a transgendered person made to look like an accident once the other characters in the joke realized she was not born a female (it makes me sick just to write that). I was appalled that my mother had sent this out. Even more upsetting another family member (who I thought was fairly tolerant) sent a mass-reply of “too funny!”.

I do not think my mother did this intentionally, I doubt she even remembers the incident with the bodysuit, panties and jeans, but seeing this kind of humor come from my mother has really bothered me. I contemplated sending an email back in defense of gender identity, and to once again let my family know that I do not appreciate this type of humor, but I decided not to. If they haven't gotten it by now, they never will. This has been weighing heavily on my mind. It is bad enough that I have to put up with these types of jokes at work, but to see them passed around so casually by my own mother really hurt me.

I guess I'm not really looking for any answers or guidance here, just wanted to vent about something that bothered me. Thank you for your time for reading my long post! ;)

Annaliese
04-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Kristy the only thing I can say or do, is offer a hug I know how you feel

Miriam-J
04-10-2012, 04:16 PM
It will probably do little good to respond back about this specific issue, especially with family. But you can make a general proclamation, as I've done, to each family member, friend, or coworker who sends such messages, that you do not appreciate off-color jokes that make fun of anyone. This isn't just about gender issues, but about human dignity and you will not be part of it.

As I've aged I've become less tolerant of those who are intolerant (or just plain hateful). It's now more important to me to respond to the offensive rather than worry about fitting in. Perhaps the lessons are wasted, but I can no longer ignore in good conscience.

Miriam

carhill2mn
04-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Kristy, I know it is not too helpful but there are a great many of us who have had similar experiences. It is very difficult for many to change what they have been taught from childhood. The "good news" is that you can come here and express your
feelings knowing that others will understand.

kimdl93
04-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Very sorry. Its so sad that many of our loved ones can hold onto such bigoted views. But we have to elves them just the same.

STACY B
04-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Im glad I dont have to work with anyone or deal with my parents anymore . New day New me . An its a wonderful thing ,,,BELEAVE IT !!

Laura912
04-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Yes, you would be hurt by that humor from your mother or other close family members. That kind is harder to ignore than that from co-workers. You are not quite old enough (I checked your profile) where you finally say, "I've tried to change people and cannot, therefore I will accept them for who they are and love them anyway." Actually, not too sure at what age that happens. I have grown a little weary of fighting the windmills with some people, and just accept them. That does not mean give up on your principles. Could it be that they are using the humor as a way of trying to change you? If they are the right age, they just may not be aware that we came hard wired this way and have little choice. We share your angst.

Barbara Ella
04-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Parents can be wonderfully resilient, but you never know until they are put to the test, and at times it is not worth pushing that button. At this time in our life, as a parent, our behaviors are set. You have done your part and let them know. Dont throw a rant, not worth it, and won't accomplish a lot. Dont do a mass reply. Reply to your Mom with a simple - No Thanks.

She will understand.

Barbara

Emma Leigh
04-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Sorry Kristy but I cant offer any help or advise either, I too get the "jokes" at work and from friends, I too am in the closet as far as they are concerned (though the ex keeps threatening to change that), you just have to walk away from it, though I dont understand that what I am / we are could be the subject of other peoples amusement, and it does hurt

Chickhe
04-10-2012, 05:42 PM
We all eventually find out are parents can be jerks. ...makes it easier to cut loose I guess. Anyhow, if it gets to be too much, just remember, old people often fear getting old, so a few well placed jokes about that will put them in their place... My father in-law once told me my hair was too long...I told him at least my hair is not all bunched up inside my head like his is (he is almost bald).... he got the point. ...don't forget, they are just jokes, when it comes down to it many people laugh, but don't actually agree with it.

KellyJameson
04-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Once you make someone less than human it is easy to destroy them, it is how ethnic cleansing is performed. Combine the words choice and perversion to make the person "less than" and any atrocity is possible. What interests me is when members of groups that were victims in the past become the perpetrators in the present. It was not long ago that women were considered chattel.

Using humor and fear keeps the rabbel in line. You gotta love subliminal intimidation, it is the glue that binds us together in our so called civilization. Similar to the matrix of (humor,hate,fear) of misandry and misogyny. We all contribute to the hate in some way even when we do not feel the hate ourselves, seeing this is the first step toward not partaking in the madness.

Badtranny
04-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

These people are blissfully unaware that someone they love is different. It is sad that fear consumes us until we disappear.

YorkshireRose
04-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Parents can be wonderfully resilient, but you never know until they are put to the test, and at times it is not worth pushing that button. At this time in our life, as a parent, our behaviors are set. You have done your part and let them know. Dont throw a rant, not worth it, and won't accomplish a lot. Dont do a mass reply. Reply to your Mom with a simple - No Thanks.

She will understand.

Barbara

I agree with Barbara this is in my opinion the perfect response. Try not to let it upset you too much, sending a hug
Charlotte

Vickie_CDTV
04-11-2012, 01:53 AM
When it comes to your parents, it is best to just agree to disagree. Unless you transition, it is not something that will effect their lives and not something you need to be discussed. I have a similar (extended family), and knowing I am a TV is not something that will enhance their lives and would just cause unnecessary strife. My old man knows I am a TV, but it is not something we ever, ever discuss, it is not helpful or productive.

When it comes to your job, don't mistake their diversity policy with real acceptance. They might actually be accepting, or it might just be a proactive measure because they are afraid of being sued, or being pushed around by the government or some special interest group. If you are not going to transition, it is not something they need to know about.

kynw08
04-11-2012, 03:14 AM
My mother will hurt me on occasion, though I'm not sure what the deal really is. One of her most common themes is to bring up TV/CD/drag in front if my very ill tempered and homophobic grandmother. Mom knows about kyndal, I think after the last time I had to tell my grandmother I thought she wa a bigot, and didn't speak to mom for two days, she took the hint.....

Noel Chimes
04-11-2012, 05:19 AM
Thank you Kristy for not reposting such a hurtful "joke". It is no joke when a person, straight, gay, or whatever is murdered. That person could have changed the world. Now we will never know what contributions they could have made. And by saying that the victim was transgendered only adds fuel to the fire.
i feel your pain for having to put up with such nonsense, but to jokingly justify murder because someone is different does not sit well with me.