PDA

View Full Version : subtle ways of asking about your present

CharleneT
04-10-2012, 04:36 PM
You know what I mean, sometimes you get fun requests for info where the person is really asking if you are the person who you used to be ;) This one came today, from a doctor I worked with 17 years ago. The interesting part is that it appears she really wants my input on this - but wants to let me have my privacy if I want ...( EPIC is the main info database at the hospital where I work).

from her email:

Charlene—
IF you used to work in ObGyn a decade or so ago, I am looking for your input regarding making EPIC/IDX “forms” more gender friendly..
A meeting is set up with a small group to explore this next week.
Lunch is provided.

If you are interested OR I am too obscure, please contact me.
Otherwise..enjoy the Spring

Kathryn Martin
04-10-2012, 05:05 PM
It's funny, in an amusing kinda way

AllieSF
04-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Sounds like a decent request to someone the Doctor thinks will have some valuable input. Your reply really just depends on what you want to let out of the bag and to whom, assuming that you have not to everyone so far. You can always offer your input one on one with the doctor and at the same time catch up on each other's lives.

Traci Elizabeth
04-10-2012, 09:33 PM
So did you drop everything and immediately call her saying "Oh Yes, I want to help?"

Rianna Humble
04-10-2012, 11:09 PM
I don't see this so much as asking you to say who you used to be as an explanation for why the other doctor is contacting you personally.

Would you have preferred a mail saying "I don't think you know me, but I believe you are TS"?

At least this way, the other doctor is trying to show that she trusts you and is willing to respect your privacy if that is your choice.

CharleneT
04-11-2012, 03:56 AM
I don't see this so much as asking you to say who you used to be as an explanation for why the other doctor is contacting you personally.

Would you have preferred a mail saying "I don't think you know me, but I believe you are TS"?

At least this way, the other doctor is trying to show that she trusts you and is willing to respect your privacy if that is your choice.

I didn't mean quite that, I know she knows about my transition, I had to have the Ob-Gyn Dept change my personal file name .... that kind of thing would take about 2 min to spread throughout that dept !! I *do* appreciate the way she put it, in fact I think her note is just about perfectly written. Gives me an "out of" if I want it, and a nice way to say have a good life ( if I don't want her to contact me). I am surprised they sought me out, as there was some "bad blood" when I left their employment.

I am going to go to the meeting(s) -- I am very pleased they are trying to improve the interface :)