PDA

View Full Version : How would you rate your City/State/Country on CD/TG Issues

Kelly DeWinter
04-13-2012, 06:47 PM
This is a completely psudo-Scientific survy conducted by the DeWinter Research Lab.

Rate your Country/State/City on CD/TG in general. Feel free to comment why.

10 - Everything is wonterful ! Full acceptence where you can dress anyway you want,at work,during the day,nights, no crass comments or degratory remarks.
5 - Ehhh , people could go either way.
0- Where is my Closet ! It's safe in the dark.

United States - 4 - During the day you might be snickered at, occasional bigotry in certain areas. Can be detramental to your health in the wrong place. At night be around friends ,as you can never tell who lurkes in the shadows.

Maryland - 4 Pretty much the same as above.

Baltimore - 5 Has a thriving community but should be careful where you go at night. again stay with friends.

EjayeCD
04-13-2012, 06:58 PM
I rate it a 3. Massachusetts is quite conservative.

NathalieX66
04-13-2012, 07:22 PM
7-10 in NY/NJ/PA....... I have been treated pretty well to excellent at nearly every place I go.

I am legally allowed in NJ to use thw womens' rest room. The key words in the law are gender expression. Kelly, I believe Baltimore County passed a similar law, as a result of the Chrissy Polis. incident.

For those who have not gone out, I can say it takes a couple of times to get used to feeling comfortable doing it. Keep in mind that 90% of the battle is your own fear & emotions, not the outside world. I constantly push the envelope by interacting with people. You'll never get 100% acceptance, but my positive experiences have been more than I ever believed or anticipated.

Kelly DeWinter
04-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Remember to rate the country you live in as well as the closest city.

Cynthia Anne
04-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Missouri a 5! Lebanon, population 12,000 a 6! I never have any trouble being out! Hugs!

Cassandra Lynn
04-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Idaho here,
2 for my county (Canyon County), which is very farming oriented and therefore quite red around the neck area.

4 for the city of Boise (our state capital), which like many metro areas has it's nightclubs and sections of acceptance (in Boise it is the north End).

For the state in general tho, barely a 3. The legislature voted to shelf a bill 'adding the words' which would have protected people who identify as trans.

Much room for improvement tbh.

Beth Mays
04-13-2012, 08:47 PM
The state of Tennessee 3
Sullivan County 2.5
Bristol 2
My 5 acres.... any damn thing you want!

Jacqueline Winona
04-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Sacramento is an 8 at least. CA in general is very good, laws protect TG community here as well as anywhere. Still, some places are much less tolerant or accepting as others.

Rachel Flowers
04-14-2012, 02:50 AM
Cardiff has a thriving LGBT community and plenty of tolerant venues, 6. I'd say UK legal environment was not too shabby, 6. Where I live in a little mining village I'd expect 3. We're more tolerant of eccentricity here, besides you'll see a gang of jocks on a stag night dressed up as mock females most weekends in Cardiff. I say mock females because it certainly ain't crossdressing as we know it, darlings!

Jessica86
04-14-2012, 03:51 AM
Texas is a 2 at most. At least the area I live in. People still think Busch is the best beer under the sun. Ewww!!! Houston, I think has a better tollerance overall, at around a 3. I hate living in the south. If you don't fit into a "mold" then you are an outsider. I can't tell you how bad it is just being made fun of for being from "the north." If they hold that against me....what will they think about a crossdressing yankee? LOL.

RobynB
04-14-2012, 06:42 AM
Jessica, If you hate the South so much, why don't you move back to yankeeland?

DonnaT
04-14-2012, 06:51 AM
I'd have though Maryland and Massachusetts would have ranked higher these days, given the new anti-discrimination laws.

Virginia is a long way off from passing such laws, it seems.

But the people are more accepting, depending on where you are, than the government. I'd give it a careful 4.

Jonianne
04-14-2012, 07:09 AM
Yes, Virginia covers the whole gammit. From the hillbilly (West) Virginia boarder to the metro area near DC, to the military east coast and the confederate civil war slave-minded area around Richmond. I live in the east coastal part and even though the military is quite conservative, they are also more diverse thinking. My Angel, we were interracial, was far more comfortable here in the military area than in the Richmond, Va area. One good thing was here in Suffolk, which you all are aware of in the national news a month ago, the school board shot down the proposal to ban crossdressing (non-gender conformity of students), after the local civil rights and TG groups put up some resistance.

So I'm with Donna and give Virginia a 4, althouht I think I would give the US a 5 or maybe a 6 overall.

Stephanie-L
04-14-2012, 09:05 AM
Texas is a 2 at most. At least the area I live in. People still think Busch is the best beer under the sun. Ewww!!! Houston, I think has a better tollerance overall, at around a 3. I hate living in the south. If you don't fit into a "mold" then you are an outsider. I can't tell you how bad it is just being made fun of for being from "the north." If they hold that against me....what will they think about a crossdressing yankee? LOL.

What part of Texas are ya in Darlin? I am in the DFW area and have it OK. There is some teasing about being a Yankee but it is mostly in fun. The resources here for the T community are OK, sometimes it can be hard to find specific providers, but most are pretty good. I go out as often as possible, and have never had a problem, but when I traveled through Amarillo, that was a different story. I would give the big cities a 5, maybe a 6, but the smaller towns probably a 2 or 3. Of course in male mode I tend to fade into the background pretty well, and in female I try not to stand out a lot, just my personality..........Stephanie

ArleneRaquel
04-14-2012, 09:10 AM
I will rate the Cook County and Illinois at a six. Chicago which is six blocks away as a six also. My time in Park Ridge is too short to make an evaluation.

Marleena
04-14-2012, 09:11 AM
My city would be rated a 0. Talk about transphobic! Nobody goes out dressed here. If I travel 100 miles to the next biggest city it gets an 8.

Canada might be great with TG rights but this city is in the dark ages. Being a border city and Car capital of Canada might be the main reasons. Lunch bucket mentality, the unions press for rights here but just don't be a guy in a dress or you're on your own!

Jessica86
04-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Jessica, If you hate the South so much, why don't you move back to yankeeland?

Job. I miss Virginia very much. Texas is too hot, too dry, too crowded, too politically corrupt. As long as Texans have their guns and cheap oil....then they are happy. Texas is the most expensive state to own a sports car. I would move back, but what is sad is the requirements in training for what I do are three times as much as needed then down in the south. I know you are supposed to like where you live, but the Texas constitution is so full of holes, you would think the Swiss came up with it. Every corner has some violent offender who has been convicted for manslaughter...yet....get four DWIs and you get 25 hard time. Makes no sense to me. I'll jump off my soap box now, and say if someone would buy me a home in any part of Virginia, I would move back in a heartbeat.

What part of Texas are ya in Darlin? I am in the DFW area and have it OK. There is some teasing about being a Yankee but it is mostly in fun. The resources here for the T community are OK, sometimes it can be hard to find specific providers, but most are pretty good. I go out as often as possible, and have never had a problem, but when I traveled through Amarillo, that was a different story. I would give the big cities a 5, maybe a 6, but the smaller towns probably a 2 or 3. Of course in male mode I tend to fade into the background pretty well, and in female I try not to stand out a lot, just my personality..........Stephanie

Houston area. I know Dallas has a big crowd of TG people.....but it has a big crowd of almost everyone! Plus, it's quite a drive. I'm sorry for all who live here, just Texas gets on my nerves with its logic that hasn't changed since the Alamo.

Lorileah
04-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Hmm.

The United States- overall maybe a 5. I think in general most people don't care as long as it does not affect them directly. The more middle of the country you get the lower the score. So average 5

Colorado. In the front range metro area 8-9. The further south you get the lower the score and Colorado Springs unfortunately has attracted the fringe churches so they get skewed a bit.

The high country tourist area will be 7-8 because hey, they want your money. Vail and Aspen probably a 10. The more agricultural areas both east and west and far south..3 maybe.

Denver metro area 8. There are few places you cannot go. There are many welcoming places. Most places don't care as long as you comport yourself in a normal manner. Areas of Denver are 10 especially the capital hill and LoDo areas.

Overall 8.

PretzelGirl
04-14-2012, 12:54 PM
I rate it a 3. Massachusetts is quite conservative.

I'd have though Maryland and Massachusetts would have ranked higher these days, given the new anti-discrimination laws.

That was my thought too Donna. The first thing to come to mind was "Isn't this where the Kennedy's still hold political power? But this thread is going to be how each individual perceives things.

Let's see. First, starting a little lower, my company has a non-descrimination policy that states "gender identity". We have two ladies that I know of that transitioned on the job.

I will use Salt Lake as the nearest city. I rate it about a 7. I haven't seen any problems outside of the "what are you doing in that part of the city at that time?"

For the state, I will go with a 6. Utah has a dedicated Pride Center which does have Transgendered activities. There are multiple support groups. The annual Pride festival and parade is almost as large as any another similar celebration. Many cities have put anti-discrimination policies in place that are church supported. But I balance it down some as I suspect that the less populated areas could certainly be tougher.

And for the country a 5. We have a ways to go and again, I assume the densely populated areas are far ahead of the sparser areas.

LeaP
04-14-2012, 01:31 PM
US as a whole - 3

MA, greater Boston area - 7

MA, Rest - 3-4

NH - 5

Julia_in_Pa
04-14-2012, 02:10 PM
United States- 2/3 Too many religious bigots that have yet to be taken down to score any higher than this.

Pennsylvania--6 PA has gender marker ID in place for drivers license but patch work of local laws keeps the overall score from being higher.

Allentown-----6 Allentown has laws in effect concerning restroom usage as well as anti discrimination laws as it pertains to employment and housing.
It also has a very high murder and violent crime rate and on a population ratio has more murders per year on average than Philadelphia.

pickles
04-14-2012, 05:02 PM
USA - 5/10
Oklahoma :
(big cities, OKC and Tulsa) - 5/10
rest of it - 0.5/10

There's a drag club in the city called The Boom that's a 10/10 (probably some more places in Tulsa). There's also a place in Norman called the Hidden Castle that's run by a crossdresser, but I've never been.

Launa
04-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Our country probably rates 4-5 overall. Nothing dangerous just looks, comments and remarks from people. My city would be about a 3.

danielle512
04-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Ok, I'm going to jump in on this. I would rate the Knoxville Tennessee area somewhere around a 3-6. And, yes, that is in the bible belt. I've never had any problems when I've been out, even though I've only been out 3 or 4 times in Knoxville. What is with this Texas bashing????? It's only the greatest state in America. Just kidding.....maybe. A lot of my friends give me hell about being a Texan. I like to think it's jelousy. To each his own i guess.

Cindi Johnson
04-14-2012, 11:04 PM
It does seem that some Texans are rather thin skinned (Robyn). Seems to me that the state that gave us GW surely can't get on a high horse.

That said, Jessica, I must add that as a Yankee who has lived in Dallas, Houston and Austin, and enjoyed dressing in each, never with any problem whatsoever, that Texas is not a bad place for us, not at all. At least the big cities, anyway. I now live in the North and find it accepting here also. But I'll always love Texas the most!!

I rate Texas an 8 or 9; same for Minneapolis/Saint Paul.

Rachael Turner
04-14-2012, 11:34 PM
Orlando as a whole about an 8.5. City is a huge melting pot with a large LGBT community downtown. People are pretty laid back and generally accepting. Ive never had a problem and I'm in the mainstream.

Florida outside the major cities is about a 4. It can get a little sketchy in the outskirts.

US is a 4 at most. Probably 3-3.5.

Brynn_A
04-15-2012, 12:30 AM
Well, My city, Winston-Salem I'll rate about a 3. It's just not a very acceptaing place in a state that in general outside of a few places that is firmly in the Bible Belt.
North Carolina as a whle I would give a 5, possibly a 6. That is heavily weighted by Charlotte, Ralleigh-Durham and Asheville. Outside of those ares and Greensboro it can be a bit touchy at times.
The US, I'll give a 5. There are some wonderful ares, and some that would run me back into my closet faster than a thunderstorm when I was 3.

noeleena
04-15-2012, 04:09 AM
Hi,

Down under New Zealand rate at 8 overall, north isl about 7 , south isl about 9 the west coast of the south isl is very open minded a 10.

i have been all over the south isl & the people 90 % dont seem to have a problem .

Timaru north of us 1 / 2 an hour 38.000 people & Oamaru south of us 1 / 2 an hour 15.000 people have been very accepting of my self so we have many friends,

Waimate under 3.500 people have known us for 15 years, rated more than 10.

Being known for a long time has made things very different & no friends have walked away. in fact we have many new friends as well .

I would say 3 % dont accept because of thier own issues, you may think iv rated us as to high not from where i stand, or live,

...noeleena...

RobynB
04-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Cindi, Why is asking Jessica why she does not move back being thin skinned?

TGMarla
04-15-2012, 09:02 AM
Well, I'll rate my state a 2. Heck, it's New Mexico, for crying out loud! You'll not find a more backwater, ignorant, unenlightened state anywhere. My local urban area is a bit better by comparison to the rest of the state, but please! This place is a dump that was never meant for human life.

Phoebe
04-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Minnesota probably outside of the twin cities maybe 7? Twin cities area around a 8. Minnesota was the first state to have a 'transgender law'. Reason for a 8 rating is some employers will not allow one to dress in their 'desired gender'.

Rogina B
04-16-2012, 05:01 AM
I travel the Eastern Seaboard and spend most of my time in New England,or home in Florida,while doing long term marine projects[boat conversions]. When boy work is done for the day,Rogina is out and about everywhere,doing everyday things in the mainstream world.I am blendable,and "pull it off"pretty well,so the big drama stuff rarely happens...but I hold my ground with a thick skin and smile when it does. I have yet to encounter a Tranny hating vigilante group with torches and pitchforks like they may have in rural Kansas..LOL. So,South Florida I give an 8 to and Northeast Florida[where we lived previously]I give a 3 to..And,I blame that on the Bible thumpers. In New England,colleges seem to be the controlling factor. Areas of young and educated people are accepting [give them an 8] while the country bumkins,coastal Maine people included,are about the same as the "Thumpers" in N Florida.So,I give them a 4.. College cities are great,in general.Sometimes it is just plain fun to venture where they think a T person is from another planet. If an area supports a Unitarian Church,then I think you will find acceptance,on that note,there aren't many UU churches South of the Mason Dixon line..LOL

erickka
04-16-2012, 05:15 AM
LET'S SEE,
The U.S. would be a 5
Tennessee would be a 3
the small hick-town where I live would be a -2!
I have to take into consideration the fact that this is the heart to the bible belt, and a lot of those folks still have their blinders on, or just don't want to open their minds to the 21st century.

Beverley Sims
04-16-2012, 05:49 AM
I like the diverse comments about the same cities and states.
ME:
Hawaii 7
San Franscisco 8
Los Angeles 6
Seattle 7
Chicago 5
Washington DC4
London UK 8
North UK 6
Southern UK 4
Munich 4
Berlin 7
Amsterdam 8 They even sell grass in the shops in plastic bags.
Paris 5
Norway 7
Other parts of Europe 3 to 5
This is not really a measure of acceptance but a measure of how comfortable I felt wandering around dressed.
Not too sure of various laws around the country side so I was overly cautious most of the time.
I was interested in New Zealand statistics as I would put them thus.
Auckland 6
Wellington 4
Christchurch 3
Waimate 3 I place that as a small town like Invercargill, Nelson.
Rotorua 6
Greymouth 2 Too many westerners there. Like Southern US.
New Plymouth 3
Invercargill 3 Too far South

Jenny Doolittle
04-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Interesting survey, Not real objective, but does allow us all to give our feelings about where we live and visit.

Columbus, Ohio I feel is more open and progressive then most communities across the US, and also Ohio, so I give it a #6. Like so many others have said, it really depends on where you go and how you present yourself.

The State of Ohio is more like a 3-4 in my opinion.

The United States is a very open in some areas, mostly larger cities, and conservative as a "John Burch" convention in other parts of the country.

Stephanie47
04-16-2012, 01:18 PM
For legal concerns Washington State is at least a nine. I only rate it a nine because other municipalities are a ten for legal protection and rights. As to the general public I'd say 'discretion is the better part of valor.' You can always find a totally accepting club rating a ten, but, I would not suggest going into one of the local 'biker' friendly taverns.

Ally 2112
04-16-2012, 01:42 PM
My area is a big 0 i have to drive hours away to find any remote chance of accepptabilty .

SallyS
04-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Strange but true!.........the landlord of my local pub in Kent, was hounded out, because he welcomed Gay/Bi/CD/TG's alike:sad:

The odd thing is that we have a licensed sex shop in the same high street and I know for a fact the owner got less objections to planning permission than ANYWHERE else she set-up!!!!...double standards or what?

I live 30 miles from London (the most cosmopolitan city in Europe), and 30 miles from Brighton (the gay capital of the South East). But I live in an affluent, middle class, conservative town (PS I'm neither of the aforementioned)........very low scoring on the tolerance grade:sad:

The sad truth is that most people don't care what you do behind closed doors, just don't step outside.

Tatiana
04-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Supporting SallyS, I live 20 miles from Brighton which I would still only give a 5 to. Gay is accepted but cd is not. Most of the uk I would give a 2 at best. Lots of youths only too happy to bash a tranny! Lots of work in the uk to get rid of main stream anti-gay sentiments but nothing about cding. Strange, but man in drag is accepted more than trying to pass as a woman.

arbon
04-16-2012, 03:20 PM
United States - 5

Idaho - 1 , because it is one of 2 states which will not allow a post op transsexual to amend their gender marker on their birth certificate, and it requires SRS in order to change the gender marker on your state ID. It also lacks any protection against discrimination for gender identity. But the scenery is nice, the air is clean, and the fishing is good! :)

My small town in Idaho - 8 , Some shock at first, but overall people here have been very accepting of me.

cathie
04-16-2012, 04:02 PM
the advantage of living in Boulder, Colorado is I can have smooth legs and arms with out a second look as cycling USA. Utli kilts are also acceptable like in seattle however im not so sure the police here would be so accepting. They are horrible at tolerance all over colorado. im sure if i went out dressed, its the police I would worry about more than the citizens.

May
05-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Hi, I'm new here and I just moved to boulder co as well.
So do you have problems with the police here if you dress and go out late late night?
I actually have the same fears for the police more than citizens.

April_Ligeia
05-06-2012, 10:39 PM
I don't go out fully dressed, but often wear makeup and/or nail polish and feminine attire, so I am obviously transgressing, and I never get any heat. Therefore I would give the South Jersey/Philadelphia area a 10.