PDA

View Full Version : Is it actually illegal...........

fanci
11-06-2005, 05:07 PM
........to crossdress in the state where you live. Which state is it? Or is it just socially unacceptable. I don't know the law in Kentucky where I live, but I do know it is not accepted. I would think that it would be unconstitutional to bar crosscressing.

enlighten me, girls

thanks

Fanci

Amelie
11-06-2005, 05:11 PM
It is illegal here in Maryland for a CDer to wear leg warmers, the fashion police will send them straight to Macy's for rehab.

Vivian Best
11-06-2005, 05:17 PM
I'm not aware of any state where it is illegal to crossdress. If you choose to venture out and have an accident or something like that it might be embarrassing. Just try to stay out of trouble and away from the law is the best and if you do have to face the law dressed, just be straight forward and show them your ID. Don't try to explain unless they ask and then as little as necessary.

Vivian:rose2:

Paula Rae
11-06-2005, 05:18 PM
Hey Franci,

I live in the state of Utopia, where its against the law to wear mens clothing.

Ricki B

paulaN
11-06-2005, 05:23 PM
As far as I know it is not illegal in Maine. But it may not be legal to use a womans rest room. There are not many tg's here because of the population. So acceptance is well I don't know. It is a state of live and let live type of attitude.

Lauren_T
11-06-2005, 05:23 PM
If memory serves, there hasn't been a state law against crossdressing since the '50s... county and city laws are a different matter...

Where I live, Houston, it was illegal up until our famous TG pioneer/lawyer Phyllis Randolph Frye got it overturned in '80... My understanding is that this was the last big city to have such a law on the books... Not surprising, since this foul place is the veritable Mecca and Jerusalem of masculinity-worship...

Tiffy
11-06-2005, 06:15 PM
It is illegal here in Maryland for a CDer to wear leg warmers, the fashion police will send them straight to Macy's for rehab.

Well I guess I can not go to Maryland. I love legwarmers.

April

Joanie
11-06-2005, 09:52 PM
Let's face, any man arrested under any such law only has to point to the numerous women wearing blue jeans not much different than what guys wear and say "Why aren't you hauling them into jail???'' I think any such law is rendered unworkable by the number of women wearing what was once considered male-only clothing.

obsessedwithpantyhose
11-06-2005, 10:13 PM
i have rode past cops while in my pantyhose skirt heels on my bicycle and have not been stoped here in the phoenix area:o

Marlena Dahlstrom
11-07-2005, 12:09 AM
As far as I know there's no states that have laws against crossdressing -- although there might be city or county ordinances on the books, and technically crossdressing might be considered an illegal disguise if you did so to commit crime.

Now the fashion police are another matter. Stacy and Clinton are watching....
:GE:

Shannon
11-07-2005, 12:18 AM
In California (aka Utopia, aka Lotus Land, aka Hollyweird) it is better to be caught in women's clothing than to be caught in traffic on the 5, 405, 805, 15 or 8. :)

Charlene Marie
11-07-2005, 12:19 AM
I don't think it's illeagle in any state, except if you are dresed as the oppisite sex during the commision of a felony, and the way some women dress, it ought to be a felony. I have two sets of I.D.s in case I get pulled over. One is my actual drivers license, and the other is a CA I.D. card, with all the same
correct data...including sex, except with my Femm picture. I only had to use it once so far, and it made
the situation much eaiser to explain to the officer. However, don't get caught driving and drinking when you are En Femm. You'll go to jail, and it won't be the womens correction jail. You could wind up with Bubba, who thinks; " You sure got a purty mouth."

Stephanie
11-07-2005, 01:08 AM
I don't know exactly what the law is here in the (RED) state of Indiana, although I highly doubt that there are any laws or ordinances that specifically outlaw crossdress and even if there are, I highly doubt that they are even enforced anymore (a la Sodomy laws). The only scenario that I could see possibly leading to any kind of legal trouble is getting "clocked" by an irate woman in a womens' restroom leading to a major incident. Otherwise, I can't even see why anybody COULD be arrested for it. I DO know that our governor, Mitch Daniels, as big of a jerk as he may be, DID sign an executive order early in his term forbidding discrimination in state government against people on the basis of sexual orientation or GENDER IDENTITY, which prompted a furious outcry from the local religious whacko-fundies trying to scare the citizenry with the specter of being forced to work with and/or receiving government services from men in dresses. Boo! :rolleyes:

Khriss
11-07-2005, 02:55 AM
..well ..there are exposer laws..everywhere so stay "prim-proper" (tucked!?)..and safe....
timing and "place" are still a major considerations -NO Doubt ! eh?:) xx"K"

Tamara Croft
11-07-2005, 09:15 AM
It is illegal here in Maryland for a CDer to wear leg warmers, the fashion police will send them straight to Macy's for rehab.That should be illegal period!! It's so 80's.... :tongueout

Wendy me
11-07-2005, 09:17 AM
not as far as i know ....thinking of crossdressing police kicking down the door......

JocelynG
11-07-2005, 10:59 AM
I live in a pretty conservative state called Utah and I haven't heard any laws pertaining to dressing in clothing of the opposite sex

Julie
11-07-2005, 12:44 PM
If you were online here at the time you might remember a link to a story where a CDer volunteered her services to work in a hospital but did so en femme. If I remember it right the police visited her at home after she was refused as a volunteer and she produced a false ID that said she was female and was arrested.

As far as I know crossdressing isn't illegal but trying to falsely identify yourself as female is.

AMANDA12
11-07-2005, 01:08 PM
This need legal expert's advice here . and publication should be availabe from supportive group .
I beleive as long as it is not obstacles to the society and not in sex oreanted form and it is in calm quite ,sobar and normal way it is not objectionable.
Amanda

Marlena Dahlstrom
11-07-2005, 02:31 PM
As far as I know crossdressing isn't illegal but trying to falsely identify yourself as female is.

Exactly. Which is why I don't think it's a great idea to have dual IDs. Yes, technically it's not being deceptive, but it's all too easy to spark a misunderstanding. Then again, much as I blend in well in a crowd, I doubt that anyone will mistake me for a GG close-up, so my take is that I might as well own up to being a guy in a dress. I was actually asked to show my ID shopping at Lane Bryant two weeks ago (the signature on my credit card is smeared, so it happens a lot) and the salesclerks only reaction was to say, "yup, that's you."

Gale R
11-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Hi girls, here in the UK it's not illegal but if when you're out dressed and are clocked, then get into an argument or something worse you can be arrested for causing a disturbance or a breach of the peace because the of way you've dressed, i.e. as a girl, was the cause of the altercation.
Always pays to be careful and know the area well before going out dressed.

Luv ya.Gale.:p

Tiffy
11-07-2005, 07:38 PM
That should be illegal period!! It's so 80's.... :tongueout

I love them anyway Tamara...And you can't catch me copper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Kisses, April Marie

Veronica E. Scott
11-07-2005, 07:52 PM
If it were against the law to crossdress shouldn't the police assest female officers for wearing mens uniforms???

jjjjohanne
11-07-2005, 08:35 PM
I was chatting one night, a few years ago, with a guy from Texas. He said he was pulled over on a traffic stop. He was en femme and he was given a ticket for "impersonating a woman." Is anyone from Texas? Is that really against the law?

Lauren_T
11-07-2005, 10:37 PM
I was chatting one night, a few years ago, with a guy from Texas. He said he was pulled over on a traffic stop. He was en femme and he was given a ticket for "impersonating a woman." Is anyone from Texas? Is that really against the law?No, that's not in the Texas Penal Code, it would have had to be a municipal violation... in some small Bible-thumping town. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Houston was the last big city to have a law against CDing, and that was 25 years ago...

Rachel Morley
11-07-2005, 10:56 PM

Ok here's my 2 cents. I recently met a very nice retired policeman at a Tri-Ess meeting called Terri Lynn. She told me that it's not illegal to dress but don't try to pass yourself off as someone you are not. She said that what you should do if you get stopped by the police is be totally open about who you are.

She said you should show your male ID and say "yes that's me, would you like me to take my wig off so you can verify that I look like my photo?". She said if you do this it is very unlikely that the police have any reason to "take you downtown" :p

Maria2004
11-08-2005, 12:52 AM

LMAO I'm so unbelievably happy to see you back.......:thumbsup:

RachelPortugal
11-14-2005, 02:32 AM
I have been out completely en-femme in 10 countries (9 in Europe and 1 US state). At no time did I consider that it may be illegal, so long as I kept properly tucked and did not expose myself below my mini-skirt.

I do have a credit card in Rachael's name - a second card on my account. Have only used it at an ATM to change the PIN - am concerned I might be asked for photo ID if I use it in store although this is rare now with "Chip & Pin".

swiss_susan
11-14-2005, 09:37 AM
There is nowhere in the US that it is Illegal. Or really anywhere else for that matter. Any law in the US trying to ban it would indeed be unconstitutional. It falls under the freedom of expression. In addition it would also be a contravention of the UN charter which all but 3 countries in the world have signed.

However, there are as we know many places that don't need laws to enforce something like this society does that kind of thing on its own.

Susan

byrony
11-14-2005, 11:28 AM
Though in many countries, international law is ignored. And I know for a fact that it is illegal in many middle eastern countries, as it is against sharia law.

HaleyPink2000
11-15-2005, 02:40 AM
I do know that there are laws about CDing and Flying.
Our TriEss President had to get special ID taken for the airplane etc. She did go out to the East Coast for a TriEss thing and did fly there via a Jet service from INDY. I guess there where a few hoops to jump through before flying a comercial flight.

Haley:)

Marlena Dahlstrom
11-15-2005, 03:40 AM
Our TriEss President had to get special ID taken for the airplane etc. She did go out to the East Coast for a TriEss thing and did fly there via a Jet service from INDY. I guess there where a few hoops to jump through before flying a comercial flight.

Hmm. That's the first I've heard of needing to get a special ID. I've heard from several people who've travelled en femme since 9/11. They've gotten double-takes from the TSA and airline staff while having their IDs checked, but otherwise didn't have any problems.

swiss_susan
11-15-2005, 04:21 AM
Though in many countries, international law is ignored. And I know for a fact that it is illegal in many middle eastern countries, as it is against sharia law.

Sadly international law is ignored by every single country in the entire world, but at least we are all full of it together.

But while on this topic does anyone know of a law anywhere that specifically forbids cd'ing just out of curiosity I'd like to se how they word that one.

bobbie anne
11-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Hi. I live in Canada and called the police to see if it was against the law to drive while wearing a skirt. May get funny looks but not illegal. Bobbie Anne

Bridget
11-16-2005, 12:11 AM
i live in California, and used to live in San Francisco, so i think i can safely say it is definitely not illegal here. Davis, i'm not so sure, but it is the most liberal town/city in the central valley, and does play host to a big hippie event, the Whole Earth Festival as well as a fairly large GLTB event as well.

In any case, even if your state has a law against crossdressing, much like laws regarding "sodomy" and wearing certain hats on sundays, their enforcement varies on the nature of law enforcement. Some states have the laws, but never enforce them. Other communities may enforce the laws, especially homogenous little towns, where the populace is fairly xenophobic. But the latter is quite rare.