PDA

View Full Version : Low Comedy

michelleddg
04-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Had a dinner meeting in Austin which required an overnight stay. So, brought my gear, got lovely this morning at 6:30am, and made my world premiere at La Madeline for breakfast.

I walked in and obviously looked a bit disoriented (it's kind of a restaurant, kind of a cafeteria, just not all that clear at first glance how you get served). Well, nothing the perky SA hadn't seen before, so she beckoned me over and started explaning "here's the menu, tell me what you want and I'll bring it, free bread and preserves over there, cash register there" and so forth. She was about 5'2" and I'm, oh, 6'4" in my stilletos and felt *** huge ***. Still, confidence and positive presentation go a low way, so that all passed fine.

I've been doing this stuff a long time but proceded to learn something new. Balancing a tray with breakfast and coffee with a purse on your shoulder in high heels is, well, woooooooah...Hugs, Michelle

JessHaust
04-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Thats wonderful! Austin is such a great town, I really love it. There is a La Madeline in Dallas where the local GEAR group has their monthly meeting, so they get their fair share of us!
Now tell me tomorrow how 6th street goes!

kimdl93
04-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Zounds like fun, Michele! And you introduced a new concept of balance to the forum!

Sandra1746
04-19-2012, 03:31 PM
It does sound like a fun experience that went well.

It also is a good object lesson to all who fear going out to a shop or restaurant dressed en-fem; most of the time nobody cares and the store folks are more interested in you as a customer. For us, being out and about dressed and acting like a "normal" person is also a great way to promote understanding and acceptance.

Enjoy life and have fun,
Sandra1746

Persephone
04-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Sounds like a lovely breakfast, Michelle!

And yes, those first times when you are teetering on your stilettos and pick up a package or a cafeteria tray you discover a requirement for a whole new set of skills!

Enjoy the journey!

Hugs,
Persephone.

Michaelasfun
04-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Congrats, it sounds like you're well on the way to becoming an intern at Cirque Du Soleil ;)

Tina B.
04-20-2012, 08:56 AM
How wonderful,we all need balance in our CD life. It's a great skill to learn if you are caught in cafeterias, when your out dressed.
Tina B.

Persephone
04-20-2012, 01:42 PM
My guy self always used to struggle with buffet dinners, trying to figure out how to hold a plate, glass, napkin, and silverware in only two hands and would watch women in heels perfectly poised, balancing it all while calmly chatting with their friends. He always believed that buffets were a conspiracy created by women as a put down of men and a chance to show off their own gracefulness.

Now on the other side of the fence I try my hardest to prove him right!

Hugs,
Persephone.