PDA

View Full Version : First Pair of Stockings Ruined

Secret_Dresser
04-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Just put on my , I would say, fav pair of stockings to then realise I have 2 "ladders" running up my thigh. The origins seem to be small holes, no idea how they got there as I am usually careful when putting them on, avoiding nails as much as possible.

They wen't exactly expensive so I am not too fussed, but still annoying none the less.

NathalieX66
04-20-2012, 08:25 PM
You do know that you're not supposed to put them on like a pair of socks?

You have to bunch them up, make sure the end meets your toes first, over the heel second, then slowly roll them up. Don't pull....at least not too hard.

Secret_Dresser
04-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Thats normally what I do.

I bunch them up, put both my hands in to keep the edges away from my toenails and work my way up.

I really want to know what caused these holes to avoid it happening again.

Cynthia Anne
04-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Oh phooey!:sad: I hope the sun shines on you tomorow!:):hugs:

Kathy Simpson
04-21-2012, 12:07 AM
I've ruined a few as well. My mistakes are usually jewelry, toe-nails (gross) or the clasps on my shaper.

Organza
04-21-2012, 01:48 AM
Well I have more problems with nylons than the rest of you, I guess, but I've mostly solved them. First...I have serious heel callouses. I have one of those devices with a sandpaper-like surface on one side and a grater-like surface on the other. I use the "grater" on my callouses for several minutes and then a couple of shots of lotion. My nails are a big problem but I usually remember to defang them. Clipping and smoothing fingernails (or using gloves) is obvious. Technique is important, of course. You can't dig your fingers into the nylons to get a grip. You have to use good tension all the way along, evenly around the circumference of your leg. And finally, you need high-quality nylons. You can get them for $10-15, or you can buy Leggs. I don't know why they're so much better. I get them via eBay for about $2 each. I remember when they were advertised, about 3.5 decades ago, and they transformed the pantyhose market. I can wear them for 2-3 weeks instead of two days. I used to settle for nylons with runs around the house (I almost never go out in a dress), but I'm way happier and more comfortable in pretty, fault-free nylons.
Lisa

rachellegsep
04-21-2012, 01:59 AM
I recently read that rinsing by hand in cold water water before wearing the 1st time can greatly extend their life.

Vickie_CDTV
04-21-2012, 02:46 AM
I give the Ped Egg a big thumbs up, I have bad heel cracks and it really does help; it is the best foot scraper I have ever used. Don't forget to sand them with the buffer on the bottom of the egg to get the remaining skin smooth, or a 220/320 nail file (blue tropical shine II from Sally Beauty) works well too.

Beware the cheap counterfeit Ped Eggs sold at flea markets etc. though.

Maria 60
04-21-2012, 06:44 AM
When i underdress i wear cheap pantyhose but when i dress i wear my better one's and at $7 to $15 dollars a pair i do get upset if i get a run the first time wearing them.

Tina B.
04-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Stocking come, and stocking go, every women knows the disappointment of getting all dressed up, and putting their stockings on, only to fine a run (Ladders) I've loaned my wife more than one pair over the years when it's happened to her.
Tina B.

KimberlyJean
04-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Stocking come, and stocking go, every women knows the disappointment of getting all dressed up, and putting their stockings on, only to fine a run (Ladders) I've loaned my wife more than one pair over the years when it's happened to her.
Tina B.

Tina is right, stockings and pantyhose are a consumable item just get used to replacing them.

Sophie_C
04-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Most girls rarely wear stockings these days, so I wouldn't make a big deal about it.

Piora
04-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Most girls rarely wear stockings these days, so I wouldn't make a big deal about it.

Perhaps GGs.....but we 'girls' do!!!

I believe that quality is a factor.

I have a pair of $45 non-stretch 15 denier black seamed stockings that I bought over a year ago. I have worn them numerous times, washed them in a hosiery bag, and never a single ladder in them.

However, I also have 2 pairs of stay-ups (black seamed) that I paid $11 for both pairs, and while one pair has developed a tiny separation of the colour in the big toe area (not a tear) they remain un-holed and un-laddered. I'm just very careful with all of my hosiery, including pantyhose, which have not laddered after numerous wearings.