PDA

View Full Version : It's nice to look another lady in the eye

arbon
04-29-2012, 12:48 PM
After church this morning, as I was making CD copies of the service, a woman that I had not seen there before approached me and introduced herself. Even though I had never seen her there before, I saw quite a few people talking to her as though they knew her pretty well, so she must have used to come.

But anyway, she got in close to me and says "It's nice to look another lady in the eye." I just said yeah, and nodded, and she walked away. I was confused by what she said and did not know what she meant. Finished what I was doing then went to the social hall where she was and was looking at her then it clicked - oh, I think she is trans. She was bigger then most the women, voice was deep, but not really masculine, facially I would have never given it a thought that she was transsexual looking at her.

Now I am all puzzled if she is or not, if that was what she was trying to let me know. If she was, then I am very surprised. There is not a lot of trans people around here, a few but not many.

Why else would a woman say that to me though?

Julia_in_Pa
04-29-2012, 12:55 PM
Hi!!

Hey regardless of the meaning it sounded really good.

Perhaps until you are able to take a really close look at her and or get to know her better you wont know.

Either way a very nice life affirming comment for you. :)

I hope things are better for you.

Julia

AllieSF
04-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Actually, that is always good advice and I would add, look everyone in the eye. But back to her comment. I see no reason why you couldn't ask her personally when you are more or less out of ear shot of others as to what exactly she meant by that statement. It is a very appropriate question and gives her a chance to clarify what she meant by it. Otherwise, by assuming something incorrectly it may have a negative impact on a positive gesture on your part.

CharleneT
04-29-2012, 03:44 PM
I would not read tooooo much into it, just be happy ;)

Kathryn Martin
04-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Maybe she just wanted to connect? And why would she have to TS. It is often very difficult for non TS folks to find an avenue to connect with TS people.

ReineD
04-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Why else would a woman say that to me though?

You should have asked her! :)

But another guess: are you both the same height? I'm about 5'9" which isn't huge, but I frequently wear 4" heels which makes me 6'1". I've on occasion run into another tall woman while shopping and we tend to give each other a nod of recognition ... sometimes followed by mutual complaints about how difficult it is to find jeans that are long enough or shoes that are large enough. :)

arbon
04-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Maybe she just wanted to connect? And why would she have to TS. It is often very difficult for non TS folks to find an avenue to connect with TS people.

I think most people that want to connect with me usually say stuff like complimenting me on my nails or wardrobe, or how nice I am looking today, or tell me about their gay friend :-/ lol Thats what it seems like anyway. I am reading so much into it because I just found it such a really odd thing to say to someone you just introduced yourself to, and its not like there were not a lot of other lady's at church that I assume would be just as good to look in the eye as I am. Maybe she was welcoming me to ladyhood? Maybe she said it because I come across as shy and was not looking her in the eye enough. If I do see her again I would like to ask why she said it.

arbon
04-29-2012, 04:59 PM
You should have asked her! :)

But another guess: are you both the same height? I'm about 5'9" which isn't huge, but I frequently wear 4" heels which makes me 6'1". I've on occasion run into another tall woman while shopping and we tend to give each other a nod of recognition ... sometimes followed by mutual complaints about how difficult it is to find jeans that are long enough or shoes that are large enough. :)

Maybe, I'm 5'11" I would guess she was over 6', taller then me.

I should have asked her, but in the moment I was confused about what she said and let it go.

Persephone
04-29-2012, 06:42 PM
I agree with Reine, it is the sort of thing that a taller woman might very well say to another.

However, if you are shy and often do not make eye contact with others, especially women, that is definitely picked up and maybe she was giving you some advice.

If you see her again, I would suggest not necessarily bring it up right away, but I would definitely suggest that you greet her warmly and chat with her for a fww minutes as it certainly sounds like she is being friendly.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Traci Elizabeth
04-30-2012, 01:15 PM
i would not read tooooo much into it, just be happy ;)

bingo !

Alissa
04-30-2012, 03:26 PM
I would pretty much guarantee that it was about your mutual height and nothing to do with being TS.

arbon
04-30-2012, 05:59 PM
I would pretty much guarantee that it was about your mutual height and nothing to do with being TS.

yep, I'm pretty sure you and the others are right.

Aprilrain
04-30-2012, 06:07 PM
I have been seeing tones of tall woman, 5'10" to 6'1" ish it always makes me smile!

kimdl93
04-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Maybe she was telling you that in her eyes you are a lady. That's pretty positive.

Kaitlyn Michele
04-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Its your height.

I have had similar comments over the last couple years..i'm 6'2.....at first i freaked out.. but no need, its all good..

Maryanne_sa
05-03-2012, 08:36 AM
This reminds me. Last week I was browsing in the dress department, when I lady walked up to me and said "Excuse me, I don't mean to be rude, but are you French?", which baffled me a bit, and when I said no, I am afraid not, she said that I looked a lot like a French lady who used to come into her shop and have lovely chats in French. "Oh, thats nice, I said. "Anyway," she said, my daughter thinks you look fantastic"
I obviously then looked at her daughter who gave my a big smile. She was a big girl, dressed androgynously, and looked like someone who could be going either way, but I guess, MTF. and with that, I realised the whole French lady thing was just a ruse to get to talk to me. Baffling, to say the least