PDA

View Full Version : The Truth, the Whole Truth and Nothing But the Truth

Veronica27
05-01-2012, 09:25 AM
Most of us, regardless of how far out of the closet we are, still maintain secrecy for certain individuals, such as our employers, our relatives, our neighbours, etc. We are very careful to conduct our crossdressing with care and discretion to avoid revealing our inclinations to these people. We read many posts about being discovered accidently, or narrow escapes. We also read about how others plan their outings so as to minimize the risks.

The one situation that we cannot avoid, however, is finding ourselves in a situation where we are witness to some unfortunate happening that results in our being subpoenaed to testify under oath. Where we happen to be, and what we were doing can disclose much about our crossdressing if we are truthful. Depending upon the publicity that the trial receives, this could have devastating results for some.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how the impact of testifying can be minimized? Does this requirement to tell the whole truth impinge upon our rights of privacy, or do they even exist?

Just wondering; it has so far never happened to me.

Veronica

kimdl93
05-01-2012, 09:53 AM
I suppose there's a remote possibility that I might witness an accident or crime while en femme. But even if I was at a GLBT friendly establishment when the event occurred, so long as I was a witness and not a participant, I would imagine that would have little impact on my testimony, should I be called to testify at a trial. And honestly, unless I had commited a felony while en femme, I don't think I'd have much fear of repercussions.

BillieJoEllen
05-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Unless you yourself were involved in something illegal at the time most courts would be solely interested in the acts and facts of the crime itself. Of course theres always the chance there would be a lawyer or two that would like to sensationalize the case and might bring up your CDing. I believe that would be rare though.

Vanessa Storrs
05-01-2012, 10:08 AM
I refuse to let my fears of being discovered keep me hidden in the closet. I do not understand what is so horrible about being a crossdresser that we must spend our lives in fear of being discovered. If some circumstance arises that causes me to be outed to my community it will be no big deal, I suppose I will be embarrassed for a time and I may be a topic of conversation for a while until my life continues normally.

I was driving while dressed one evening and followed a car being driven by a severely impaired driver. Without hesitation I reported the drunk driver to the Highway Patrol. It was with considerable pleasure that I saw him being pulled over a few miles down the road.

Lorileah
05-01-2012, 10:11 AM
You tell your story with all the pertinent facts. If somehow the clothes you were wearing were directly involved in the incident, what your wear does not matter. Any lawyer who would bring that up in court would be going way outside the protocol for any trial. This would be a tactic to deflect what happened away from the client and try and sway a judge (ain't gonna happen) or jury (could happen) with things that were not important to the incident.

Kate Simmons
05-01-2012, 10:27 AM
That seems to be a lot of "what if's" Hon. More than likely I would figure it out when and if the situation ever arose. :)

Stephanie47
05-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Before venturing out en femme you have to take into considerations the possibility of something happening which may reveal your cross dressing. Witness a crime? Get broadsided by a DUI which gets you a trip to the hospital? Trip on a crack in the sidewalk and break an ankle? Caught in a tornado in your favorite dress and landing the next county over? I guess some have to just stay at home and wait for that meteorite crash through the roof and kill you in your favorite dress and heels.

Tina B.
05-01-2012, 11:27 AM
If and when it happens, you tell the officer you didn't see a thing, then there is no reason to call you up to testify.
Tina B.

sterling12
05-01-2012, 11:51 AM
OK, but let's try and use The Right Side of The Brain. The part that's concerned with Logic! Already noted that if your Dressing wasn't Germaine to the incident; whether testifying or not, it would not be admissible nor permissible in Court. Both Lawyers would have worked out this situation long before it got to Trial. And lets try and figure out The Odds that you would actually witness something, while dressed, and it would require your testimony. Maybe 100,00 to one? Probably, more in The Millions to one category!

So, why do we do this? Come up with Fanciful Scenarios about what "coulda'" or "woulda'." If your chances of walking into The Backyard, and being struck by lightning are somewhat better than Court Testimony that would somehow reveal your transgendered life, why even waste your time worrying about such things? Do you fear to walk outside your house because of rabid raccoons? How about kidnapping by Space Aliens?

Obviously, if you do this stuff, your looking for an excuse! You want to torture your psyche with Justifications like that? Please include me out!

Peace and Love, Joanie

katie_barns
05-01-2012, 12:15 PM
That sounds a little far fetched. I have been out and about for 10 years and never seem to be in that situation. Maybe I'm not hanging out in the right places. I have been pulled over while dressed. It wasn't a big deal. The only thing I think would be awkward is if I was in a car wreck. That could be interesting.

LisaSky
05-01-2012, 02:48 PM
You really have me thinking now. In fact, I think I am going to put in my will that I want be buried in fem mode. ;) Kind of a last laugh sorta thing.

STACY B
05-01-2012, 03:06 PM
You really have me thinking now. In fact, I think I am going to put in my will that I want be buried in fem mode. ;) Kind of a last laugh sorta thing.

To late already took care of it ,,,LOL,,,Made sure my wife does it for me ,, Hell there are alot of things that can happen while out in fem ? Maybe get chased by a Mob, Find a bag of money ,, Witness and foil a bank robery ,, : Some FAT lady just came outta nowhere an grabed the guy an threw him down an she just ran away ,,, Strange ,, But ILL tell ya officer she was pretty mean ,, : ,,,,,, What did she look like ? Ohhh she was BEAUTIFUL !! OHHHH B HAIVE ,,,,

Karan49
05-01-2012, 05:17 PM
I was in a car accident way back in 1988. I was in Denver driving on a main street when a gal pulled out from a stop sign and I couldn't stop in time. We called the police and when he came he took both of our information. The gal admitted fault and she was given a ticket. I was dressed en femme, but had a driver's license with a male picture and information. I privately explained to the cop I was a crossdresser and he took all the pertinent information and told me I could leave.

At the time I was terrified and decided I'd best contact a friend who is a lawyer. She had me pick up the police report. I was shocked to see the report had been changed such that the other gal was no longer charged and the blame was put on me. These changes had to have been through the collusion of the police officer and the other gal I mentioned. I explained all this to my attorney and she contacted the police department and informed them of the truth. The officer was punished and the report ammended. My attorney then contacted my insurance company and had them issue me a check for three times the amount that they previously offered as a settlement.

I think the gal, the police officer, and the insurance company thought I would be a push over and just go along with things. Thanks to my friend who only charged me $100 and my actions things worked out.

Honesty is the best policy and letting people intimidate you for just being yourself is self defeating and hurtful.

Karan

P.S. Since then I've changed my name to a more feminine name and went ahead to live full time as myself for the last 24 years with no problems related to gender.

Veronica27
05-01-2012, 10:23 PM
In my opening post I was not addressing the probability that we might be called to testify, any legal implications that might result from that testimony provided we are truthful, whether or not our crossdressing would be the subject of questioning or whether or not we should obsess over such matters. Instead, I was addressing the issue of our right to privacy, and whether we can avoid compromising that privacy, in the rare event that it does happen.

Unless an individual wishes to transition, in which case it is virtually impossible to avoid complete disclosure, almost every CD or TG has certain people on his non-disclosure list. The importance to him of that wish can vary in degree, but it does exist. Court cases usually involve a complete description of the scene of the incident, including photos and videos that could disclose otherwise personal and private information. Our very presence in certain places and at certain events can be very revealing, without any questions being asked. Establishing the reliability of a witness usually requires certain questions as to reasons for being on the scene, and what was occuring. So the simple act of testifying can reveal our deepest secrets without any intention of malice on the part of the lawyers. This is all based on the assumption that we be truthful in our testimony and any questioning by the police.

It is quite common for an individual's testimony to create hardships in his personal life. Such issues as infidelity, cheating on others financially, being involved in activities like gambling, recreational drugs, or a host of other things too numerous to mention, regularly crop up in court cases. The fact that we are not aware of any crossdressing related incidents has more to do with the relatively small percentage of the population that are crossdressers than to the improbability of it ever occurring.

We should respect each others desire to maintain our privacy, regardless of whether we are closeted, or out and about in controlled situations, in the same way as we respect our need to crossdress in the first place. We accomplish nothing by being indifferent to the needs of those whose personal situations prevent them from being as open as we might be. We all have to evaluate our own circumstances and needs. The fact that being an unanticipated witness to something could have devastating results, regardless of how remote the possibility, is sad.

Veronica

AllieSF
05-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Veronica, there are a lot of sad things and even unjust things and events in life. Some people are lucky and avoid all or most of them, and others have the opposite experiences. However, when we as adults do or say something, we are responsible for that. No one else is. So, if someone is so worried about negative consequences from their words or actions, then they should refrain from putting themselves in that situation. Whether it is sad or not, really doesn't matter. I take responsibility for what I do and will live with all the consequences, and also mentally way the potential risks and odds of something negative happening. That does not stop me from making the choices that I do, some of which are probably not the best choices. Our rights to privacy are dictated in the law, as good and faulty as it is, which are the same for all people, except for those with very deep pockets who may be able to sue someone and actually win for a breach of privacy. Whether we are dressed as the opposite gender, are having an illicit affair, or doing something frowned by society and most likely by those that know us, we take chances everyday and shit happens when we least expect it. We can avoid problems by staying inside, never driving and never enjoying ourselves with something on the edge. For me that just doesn't work. I will take my chances and try to enjoy life as best possible. So, I guess what I am saying in response to your posts is that I hear you and understand you, but it really does not cause me any special concern or sorrow for me or for others.

Veronica27
05-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Our rights to privacy are dictated in the law, as good and faulty as it is, which are the same for all people, except for those with very deep pockets who may be able to sue someone and actually win for a breach of privacy. Whether we are dressed as the opposite gender, are having an illicit affair, or doing something frowned by society and most likely by those that know us, we take chances everyday and shit happens when we least expect it. We can avoid problems by staying inside, never driving and never enjoying ourselves with something on the edge. For me that just doesn't work. I will take my chances and try to enjoy life as best possible. So, I guess what I am saying in response to your posts is that I hear you and understand you, but it really does not cause me any special concern or sorrow for me or for others.

Thank you for the understanding reply. Just as an aside, I feel more freedom to crossdress when I attend a CD event than when I stay inside. I never know who will drop in and have to limit myself to quick change items with my male clothes kept handy in various parts of the house. And I have full acceptance of my wife.

My thread was not addressing my problems or my willingness to accept whatever consequences might arise, but was intended to address the issues of freedom and "rights". We had some excellent discussions recently about our so called "right" to crossdress. I am of the opinion that rights are largely illusory, and what we do possess in most western democracies is freedom. That freedom is what gives us the "right" to crossdress, subject to the the ordinary hazards of life. It also gives us the "right" to our privacy, and to be selective about any disclosure, again subject to the normal hazards of doing so. The current supreme court case in the U.S. over whether the government's ability to compel the people to purchase health insurance, trumps the people's "right" or freedom to make their own choice is an interesting parallel. Without getting into the merits of that case from either side, the government infringes on our privacy when we are compelled to testify, even when the case is totally unrelated to us except as a witness. Is this a normal "hazard" of what we do such as an accidental encounter with an acquaintance, or is something more involved, both philosophical and legal, when we are being "compelled" to relinquish our privacy.

Veronica