PDA

View Full Version : Two steps forward, one back...still equals a step forward! (Long personal story)

RachelOKC
05-04-2012, 12:08 PM
I finally started hormones today, yay! I'm on an estradiol patch and spiro tablets and it's still hard to believe I'm finally doing this! Taking the spiro tablets was nothing, but applying the estradiol patch to my butt made me think wow, this is it, it's real...and I hope this patch makes my butt bigger! :D

The hormones feel like a big step for me but a good one because I'm finally making progress forward with my life again. I started to transition in the mid 90's but yanked myself back because there was a girl and I wanted to live that so called "normal / respectable" life with the house in the burbs, 2.2 kids, great job, etc, and just be happy crossdressing and trying to find a comfort zone somewhere...well it didn't work.

Over the last couple years, I realized that nothing had worked out as I had hoped. I was deeply unhappy with my career, I was deeply unhappy with my station in life, and I was deeply unhappy with who I was. So I sprialed down into depression, couldn't work, couldn't concentrate on the most basic things, and was hardly leaving the house. It got to where if I'd had the energy I might have jumped off a bridge.

I finally got some help for the depression; meds, a therapist, and an intensive outpatient program group. I was out to the group the whole time about being trans and they were tremendously supportive - there's a lot in common between depression and trans identity if you think about it. I met a great friend there who encouraged me to be myself at group, so I started attending as a woman...and whattayaknow, I started feeling better. Big clue, huh? A part of coming to terms was the realization that I've been trapped in a rut for more than a decade, and I didn't want to find myself at 60 regretting the same things I did at 40. I'd never make it to 60 anyway were that the case.

So I tracked down a therapist with trans expertise, started going to the GREAT transition group she runs, and she and I recently decided that it really was time to start taking concrete steps in transtion.

So that's what I'm finally doing now. Having "the talk" with my folks and sibblings (they already knew a lot beforehand). Writing coming out letters. Talking to friends. I started working with the Transgender Economic Empowerment Initiative (TEEI) in San Francisco to help get me whipped back into shape to get a job as a woman. I've also got some friends networking to help me out, big steps that I wouldn't or couldn't have done a few months ago. I've got an LGBT job fair in a few weeks, and I've got a really nice suit now for it. So things are happing fast now, a bit ad hoc, but I'm ready and I've got good support.

So a lot is still up in the air and there are many ups and downs. My marriage is very tenuous right now, and I don't know if it can last. My wife who is a wonderful person is having a much harder time dealing with this than we thought, because now it's real and I'm not sure we ever thought it would be, even though I always said transition was a possibility. A family friend who claimed to be supportive demonstrated she thought I was a second class citizen, so I had to let her go. It's not going to be easy as a parent with a young kid, because even "supportive" people get weird when it comes to their own kids. Most of my bible-thumping in-laws will NOT be ok with this. And my depression conspires to derail me...it's like the little devil sitting on your shoulder that tells you to make the bad choices, it wants me to question everything, and sit and do nothing.

But I'm moving along now and I'm learning how to get by and I'm finding positives. Several friends have became closer than ever before. I have GLBT parents groups to go to, and other GLBT parents as friends. I live in a place and time that I feel like I can successfully transition. And I'm finally starting to see a way out of the hole that I've been stuck in for almost half of my life...and THAT I think, has to be the biggest progress of all.

Thanks for reading.

Julia_in_Pa
05-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Rachel,

The oddest thing I encountered in transition were those that claimed their undying support walking away and those that I thought would shun me turned out to be my biggest advocates and my strongest allies.

I lost my entire family due to transition.
You sound like your prepared but no matter how much you think your ready for the blow that you'll receive when those you love walk away it is still the most difficult and heart wrenching part of transition and it will hit you like nothing else you have encountered in your life.

Your support system is vital when it comes to your survival during this time.

Congratulations Rachel on your progress and above all else be good and kind to yourself and to those that deny you.

Julia

Jorja
05-04-2012, 12:46 PM
I am pretty much like Julia where it comes to support. Those that said they would never leave me walked and those that I thought would have problems were my strongest allies. For me it really doesn't matter these days because all but one of them are back in my life. Never give up on anyone. Some it just takes a little longer than others to see your redeeming qualities and charm.

It sounds as though you have alot going for you in the jobs department too. Keep your head up and walk tall no matter what. It is a tuff job market out there. There really is life after transition. You just have to find it.

Badtranny
05-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Gosh Rach, it seems like forever ago when we were having coffee and you told me what you would be doing. Nobody can say you're "rushing" in to anything. ;-)

I know you have a great support system but don't forget that I'm just on the other side of the freeway, and I always have wine.

LeaP
05-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Congrats, Rachel. It sounds like its been a long time coming. It also sounds like the energy is up and, if reports around here are any indication, that the depression will resolve or weaken.

AllieSF
05-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Congratulations Rachel. I am with Melissa and a glass of wine among friends is always a good thing.

elizabethamy
05-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Congratulations, Rachel -- sounds as though you have put the right support system together. I think sometimes people's liberal values/social theories collide with the idea that it's their own child, or spouse, or sibling doing this most unheard of of all things...cognitive dissonance sets in...some can get through this and others can't. Meanwhile, we go on with our lives, which you seem to be doing splendidly! All the best!

elizabethamy

Debglam
05-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Thanks for posting Rach! You have a lot of people rooting for you and hoping things work out!

Debby

Melissa Jill
05-04-2012, 03:24 PM
The oddest thing I encountered in transition were those that claimed their undying support walking away and those that I thought would shun me turned out to be my biggest advocates and my strongest allies.

oo, Ive noticed the latter point. A friend of mine who is (and he would agree with me) a complete *******. I thought he was going to just laugh at me or make fun when I came out to him. But hes actually been really really tolerating/accepting.

rachaelsloane
05-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Rachel,
Congrats, as I know you have been heading in this direction. You have a lot going for you and if there is any I can do to help, please let me know.
Rachael

emmicd
05-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Rachel,

I am happy for you in that you have come to know what you knew all along. That is a big step. I am also happy that you are comfortable with your situation and that you are taking the necessary steps you need to to achieve being who you truly are which is a beautiful woman. You are very pretty and I am inspired by you. I too am now facing these hard decisions as I feel the same pain you have felt and I am so far behind in what I need to do. I am having a difficult time coming to terms with who I am knowing I have a wife and son and I don't want to hurt my family. I feel trapped in the sense that I am a woman but I can not express her other than through my crossdressing which is in secret and only in the open among immediate family. I have also known all along that I am female but i have never done much to bring the woman out and now she is fighting for her life to come out and truly be free and I hold the key which I will need to relinquish to truly set her free. All my best wishes to you in your transition. I will be praying for you.
emmi

Karinsamatha
05-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Rachel,
Congratulations on taking the steps nessacary to get your life back. I too have come to the "crossroad" of life and lie. I have made the decision to do what I need to do to gain a life. I feel that for the bulk of my 42 years on this planet I have been living a lie. I have lived for sometime taking care of my mother until she passed. Now it is time to live for me. So as a result I have begun the process with seeing a gender therapist. I have my second appointment this monday.

Sandra1746
05-04-2012, 09:20 PM
The title of your post says it all. Progress is what counts, even if it is slow and halting. Best of luck in your transition and remember you need to do what is best for you. It's your life after all.

Hugs and best wishes,
Sandra1746

Pamela Kay
05-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Congratulations Rachel!

I don't know how they will work for you but I have been able to go off of my anti-depressants since being on HRT.
It's such a struggle to be someone other than yourself and I'm glad you are working toward who you really are now.
It's tough but you can do it girl.

We're all behind you Rachel.

RachelOKC
05-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Thank you all for the kind words, I really appreciate it.