PDA

View Full Version : When is a compliment NOT a compliment?

Wildaboutheels
05-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Consider. I imagine many here have to dress as men on a regular basis. Men in general seem to take compliments much better than females from my own observations and numerous years in various other Forums confirm my own observations. Women "appear" to have a far greater tendency to hear what they want to hear. Or "read into" comments or compliments. Probably because so many have so many body "issues" is a safe bet. No matter how great they might actually LOOK. You could tell a genetic female [GG?] "you look hot in that red dress" and she might hear "that blue dress you just had on was awful".

When dressed and out, does your attitude or mind set change any? Are there compliments you would gratefully accept as a man but would take offense to if dressed?

I think almost everyone enjoys compliments. Trouble is, one can never be certain how others are going to "interpret" them. Ever given a sincere compliment and had it blow up?

Kate Simmons
05-04-2012, 12:57 PM
I usually say what I actually feel with regard to giving compliments. What the receiver does with that is up to them. I personally take compliments as just that and am not concerned about whether they are sincere or not.:)

Jorja
05-04-2012, 12:57 PM
When the person giving the compliment is also breathing deeply and slobbering down their chin?

kendra_gurl
05-04-2012, 01:12 PM
While having dinner last weekend I received a compliment on the top I was wearing by our waitress. I said thanks so much it's from the Reba collection and my wife says yes she just got that top from Dillars earlier today. I have no idea if she was genuine in her compliment or just wanting to force me to speak so she could comfirm my gender but I appreciated the compliment either way

I did learn a long time ago to never ever ask a woman when her baby is due.......

Amber Chen
05-04-2012, 01:55 PM
While having dinner last weekend I received a compliment on the top I was wearing by our waitress. I said thanks so much it's from the Reba collection and my wife says yes she just got that top from Dillars earlier today. I have no idea if she was genuine in her compliment or just wanting to force me to speak so she could comfirm my gender but I appreciated the compliment either way

I did learn a long time ago to never ever ask a woman when her baby is due.......

Oh, yeah, Kendra....her 'tummy' just might NOT be from a baby!!

You can usually (not always) tell if somebody is being sarcastic when giving you a compliment, but otherwise, just take it as somebody trying to be nice to you and say "Thank You"!