PDA

View Full Version : growing long hair

KittyMuffin
11-08-2005, 08:27 PM
i have average hair and want it to be long at least shoulder length. but i dont want to wear a wig. i want it to be natural because a. i think it would be the essence of me, b. i dont even know where to begin with wigs, and c. it'd be easier to wash and i could style it and have more fuin being the girl that i am inside, and lastly d. because i wouldnt have to worry about putting it on perfectly straight every time! so my question is about how long should it take to grow hair from about an inch long to shoulder length?

Anima-87-388
11-08-2005, 08:38 PM
That really depends on you, It will take time though....It took me 2 years to go from short hair to shoulder length. I got mine styled afterwards so now I have bangs and layers and I think it looks nice :) and just so you know as your hair gets longer it also takes longer to grow...so you could probably grow like 8" in a year but like 5" in the next year. Be patient and make sure to get a trim every now and then so you don't get split ends and you will have your hair in no time:p

Clarissa3d
11-08-2005, 08:52 PM
Well I have had shoulder length hair for almost 5 years and had it cut short once. I was down to the middle of my back when I had it cut to 1 1/2 inches long. I have grown it out agian and it is down to past my shoulders.

At work depending on my mood It is either up in a pony tail or down in curls.

Love it. I am not sure I can ware a wig but I guess I have never tried.

People are more accepting of long hair.
Try it and enjoy.
Clarissa

KittyMuffin
11-08-2005, 08:57 PM
oh i will grow it! i can't wait to have bangs and oooh i can go shopping in aisle 17 and get the stuff that makes it shine! that will be so much fun! and i can go in public like that!!! a gradual change is good

Jennifer in CO
11-08-2005, 09:02 PM
mine is to my belt but usually in a standard braid so its about mid-back. Started growing it in Novemebr 1995 and it went terminal about 5 years ago....it also started thinning...so its not as big a rope as it once was but its not bad. At this length, your limited to styles (various braids, body waves) but it is a nice feeling...except when you swim...then it can be a pain..swim caps aren't big enough to stuff it in so you just tuff it out...put it in a high braid so it stays somewhat out of the way....

Jenn

KittyMuffin
11-08-2005, 09:20 PM
well i dont think i'll grow it quite that long :) but i'm sure its nice! for now i plan to ultimately end up about halfway down my back but everything in due time! that'll probably take about 3-4 years

sandra_lag
11-14-2005, 02:49 AM
The hair usually growns 1 centimetre per month...I don´t know the conversion in inches, but I think one inch is about 2 centimetres...make your calculation, about 6 inches per year, but in my case I´m going each two month more or less to get it retouched by the stylist (about 1/2 shortened, I think), so, it take more time to get the shoulder length. Last time it takes me 2 years to have it this length

Stormgirl
11-14-2005, 05:36 AM
Wish I was like you,I have to have my hair short. :mad: Back when I was a teen,it took me a good 6 months to grow out my hair.Take in protein.

Lilith Moon
11-14-2005, 06:42 AM
I have had long hair for the last 30 years. When in drab people assume that I'm some sort of hippy throwback...which does have a grain of truth. At its longest my hair was down to my waist. Nowadays it is shoulder length and, even though it is never cut, it stays at that length.

I do resort to wigs nowadays because my once lovely and luxuriant brown hair is now a rather threadbare silvery gray with an expanding bald patch. Those of you who have seen Richard O' Brian in the Rocky Horror Show will be familiar with my current drab hairstyle :(

beckydee
11-14-2005, 08:15 AM
I used to have long hair down to the small of my back, it was that way for about ten years, sadly in a moment of madness I decided to have it cut short, it's been that way ever since. I have considered growing it out again but there's a point when you're doing that when it won't do what it's told and everytime I get there off it comes again.

Ah well, at least I have my wig...

Becky

MandyTS
11-14-2005, 08:20 AM
I am in the process of growing it out now... not for CD but because I am transistioning, 18 months to RLT. My hair is currently about 4 inches long and because I am tall I am exspecting 18 months to get to shoulder length...

6 inches per year is max I think...

Mandy

Wendy me
11-14-2005, 08:48 AM
i have been growing mine for almost a year now it is a bought 2/ 3 inches past my shoulders wet as it is curly it is abought just past my shoulders dry .
it's not all together that easy to just grow your own hair the bad hair spell you go through ....omg i rember that .... then long and every were in your eyes ...in your mouth..... just a over all pain in the butt ... but sooooooooo worth every second...........

swiss_susan
11-14-2005, 08:59 AM
Wendy makes a good point about that inbetween stage. My hair used to go about half way down my back, which took about 4 years to grow from a pretty short haircut. It was really annoying for quite a while until it grew long enough to wear it up. I found that it grew faster when I kept it tied back once it was long enough.

Susan

paulaN
11-14-2005, 09:33 AM
I am growing mine out now. It is almost to my sholders in the back. It is a real pain right now because it flips out on the sides even without a ball cap on. I am hoping that when it gets a little longer it will have a natural wave to it.ya right. everyone in my famley thinks I should get it cut. Oh well its my hair. If I can just hang on for a few more months. I think it will be all right.

Shaylynn
11-14-2005, 05:09 PM
I have been letting my hair grow the last couple of months and it's just starting to reach my shoulder. The guys at work are calling me a hippie.
I do love the feel of hair swishing over my neck and shoulders. making me feel so very girly.
Hugs
shay

shea
11-14-2005, 05:20 PM
When I see all replies, I am really envy of you many people who are growing hair, because as for me, since I do have such femme look, if I had shoulder length styled hair, with butch look, people will absoutely stare at me, for sure :haha: . Sometimes I do need to look like a man, so I have to always cut my hair short. Infact next time when I go to hair salon, I would probably ask them to style my hair in short femme look....Hmm..I guess it would get worsen for me isn't it? Or there's other option, I might grow my hair until shoulder length and wear a man's wig..-_-;

Billie Renee
11-14-2005, 11:31 PM
I love long hair as well mine is to my shoulders now but I hope it gets longer. this is my own hair in my pic thanks Billie Renee:angel: