PDA

View Full Version : Get rhythm

Lorileah
05-06-2012, 01:47 PM
You know I can't dance...Leo Sayer

Hawaii?

Saturday, out on the town again. This week was quieter than the weeks before. My monthly Wednesday dinner with friends was just about the only thing that happened.

We went to the "X"bar for some really good food, however I am coming to a conclusion. Even though I don't dress in ball gowns and sparkles, I do over dress compared to everyone else, especially the GG's, for the bar scene. I had just bought a nice shift dress, mostly black with a white band at the top and on the hem, just above the knee ( I know I know I need pictures but my camera phone isn't great and I really don't want to carry the digital...sorry). X bar does not have table service so as I stood in line to order an young woman looked over at me.

"You look nice" she smiled. I thanked her "What do you think of Hawaiian shirts?"

Now I was confused. I wasn't wearing a Hawaiian shirt and neither was she.

"I used to wear them a lot but not anymore. They are nice in the summer." I replied.

"I just love them, I have a lot of them. My favorite show is Magnum P I."

OK, so is she saying I look like Tom Selleck? I am not dark nor do I have a moustache. I told her I used to watch it too and that I really liked the scenery (and especially the shorts of the day, why do men now wear baggy oversized shorts? That is a post of a different color) She turned back to her friends and within minutes was arm wrestling a guy she was with. I was still wondering where Hawaiian shirts came in.

After dinner we went to Charlies and played some pool. I am not very good at it but it is fun. I think I am worse when I am dressed. I am going to blame it on being 4" taller and having to lean over more than usual. Even at normal height I have to scrunch down a lot to get the sight line. Now with what I usually wear, I can see how I can attract attention doing this and I do. So being demure, I don't bend as much as I need. Choice; shoot pool and maybe show more than I should or be a "lady" and miss most the shots. This is a dilemma. And it will get worse as the summer goes on and my hems rise. (OK maybe I do need pictures).

Wednesday night is line dance night at Charlies. Free dance instructions. I am sort of getting tired of just sitting and drinking (although I have met several really nice people that way) and now I am considering learning to dance. I am a terrible dancer which is strange because I have good musical ability, just that my feet are independent and rebellious. I will have to speak with them. I usually don't like line dancing but you don't need a partner.

So Saturday night, I decide it is time. Saturdays are Two Step lessons. I will need a partner and that concerns me at 6'2". I choose a 2 1/2 inch heel Mary Jane instead of the usual 4" in anticipation. And this week I picked up two new tops so I went with a black mid-thigh skirt and the zebra stripe top. (Yes I will get photos sometime...be patient). On the way over I have an epiffamy..epiphanie, epiffeniee.... a realization; what do I do with my purse when I get on the dance floor? Ah! The perfect "out" to not dance! I knew I would find an excuse. My mind was still saying "you have to do this" My logical mind says "You must be crazy...you can't dance" So I spent an hour arguing with myself over doing it.

A nice lady started talking to me just before lessons (ah! reason number two I can't get on the floor, it would be rude to walk away..right???). We talk about work and life and things and she asks why I am alone there and I say I like to watch people dance and maybe someday I will try it too. She tells me I need to just get out and do it. I ask if she dances, she says "no, I tried once and I will never be that embarrassed again". So, she wants me to be embarrassed but she won't? Hmmm... Then a friend of hers showed up and they discussed the friend's trip to Hawaii. Her friend asked her to accompany her outside. I tell her I will talk later but she says "Watch my beer, I will be back." She came back about 10 minutes later, with a shirt from Hawaii (there must be something telling me to go to Hawaii here). I tell her it looks good on her.

Dance lessons are starting...aw darn, I can't just leave my purse and it is too late to go to the car and ....aw gee, OK maybe next week. Then I notice; my new friend was out on the floor. I moved to be in the bull ring area on the edge to watch the lessons ( I am still planning on learning to dance...someday). I thought, she said she was terrible and there she is. She wasn't lying. She struggled with the steps but she gave it her all. By the end she actually had some rhythm. I decided, next week I was going to do it.

I watched the dancers with envy for a little longer. One guy on the floor kept looking at my legs and even commented for me to keep them together as I was a distraction. His date wasn't happy with the attention he was giving me. So I tried to be a little more demure, I crossed them and turned 45 degrees. That is when my friend's friend from Hawaii walked up to me.

"Do you waltz?" she asked me. I replied "not well" She said to get up and come out on the floor. I looked at my purse (this is why we need wingwomen) and she motioned to hang it across my shoulder. So clumsily I did that and walked out to her on the floor. Do I lead or follow? I don't know. We try me following...I look like a wounded duck. We try me leading...Less duck like but still bad. We settle on looking like I am pumping water and walking through mud. She was very nice trying to get me help but I wasn't good. I thank her for the dance, she says maybe we can do it again sometime and I walk, as fast as I can to the door.

I have made a decision. Next week I am taking lessons. (and wearing a skirt where I can put my ID and money in a pocket). I will keep you informed how this goes. Who knows...maybe Dancing with the Stars?

Beverley Sims
05-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Sounds like tip toe through the tulips", or a minefield.
Lorileah, you have an interesting life. .....Do you?

Blaire
05-06-2012, 05:37 PM
You can combine a little bend at the knee with bend at the waist to get the right sightline and keep your modesty intact :)

Cynthia Anne
05-06-2012, 09:06 PM
I love your story Lorileah! Get on that dance floor and enjoy it! Perhaps I make a fool of myself dancing for I have just one leg, but I go dancing 3or4 times a month! I love it! Hugs!

Sarah Doepner
05-06-2012, 09:23 PM
You are right in wanting to learn to dance. I can't. I don't try. That's why I'm so terrible at it, because I don't even try. The goal, as I understand it is to enjoy yourself while doing something rhythmic, adding depth to your appreciation of music and not becoming a physical danger to anyone else on the dance floor. People do it all the time, and some do it very well and end up with big smiles on their faces. I wish you the best of luck and look forward to future reports of your success, however you decide to define it.

And I love Hawaiian shirts, for whatever that's worth.

Persephone
05-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Hey Lorileah!

Sounds like you had a great evening!

Did you take a look at the group the woman was with? Were any of those guys wearing a Hawaiian shirt? Maybe she was trying to find a girl for him?

As to dancing, my guy self has never been very good at it, but over the years, especially after a drink or two, can do a bit of it. My girl self has joined in several women's line and circle dances at women's events and loves being a part of the group. Never have danced with a guy, and probably wouldn't know how, but might give it a try if the circumstances were right.

If you have a chance to get some lessons, why not give it a try? Perhaps you will be a better dancer than your guyself ever was?

Hugs,
Persephone.

PretzelGirl
05-07-2012, 05:47 AM
Aren't you suppose to stuff your ID and money in your bra? :D

We are having a line dance instructor come to one of our Tri-Ess meetings. We'll see if I get up. "I was traveling down the road feeling hungry and cold...."

Amber Chen
05-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Lorileah!

Dear, why don't you try wearing a nice pair of jeans or slacks when you go out next time? You won't have to fight with your skirt when shooting pool or learning to dance!

And RELAX when you're taking dancing lessons! Since everyone is supposed to be *learning*, nobody expects perfection, just effort! (And have fun too!)

Marleena
05-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Great story as always Lorileah! I have 2 left feet so I can relate to this. Perhaps another drink would have loosened you up.:) As for the purse thing you could always use a *gasp* fannypack.lol. I actually talked my wife out of using one in Vegas. I wonder if the bar would allow you to leave the purse with them for a few minutes?

Andy66
05-07-2012, 09:33 AM
If I'm ever in Denver, I'll gladly dance with you, Lorileah. You like short guys who can't dance, right? :love:

kimdl93
05-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Well, I know I can't dance. I have not rythme and feel something like a wounded stork on the dance floor. But my wife loves to dance, and I think enjoys embarrasing me. So I try if its really crowded, because no one can dance then.

I'm still curious about the Hawaiian shirts.

Lorileah
05-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Dear, why don't you try wearing a nice pair of jeans or slacks when you go out next time? You won't have to fight with your skirt when shooting pool or learning to dance!

That is on the agenda. Just need to get a cute Cowgirl shirt to go with it....Hmmm Shepler's is having a sale

If I'm ever in Denver, I'll gladly dance with you, Lorileah. You like short guys who can't dance, right? :love:

Andy you are on!. Does that work if I get to Vegas? Charlies?

That was one thing my dancing partner pointed out as she tried to twirl me, "Gee you're tall!"

As far as carrying a purse, this weekend was Cinco De Mayo festival in Denver and I saw more ID's and Cell phones stuck in bras.

Typically Bartenders don't like to keep track of purses for women, so that isn't likely. I will put it in the trunk and carry just enough money and my ID somewhere on me...and No no one can try and find it :)

Chickhe
05-07-2012, 01:45 PM
If you want to leave your purse at home, try bringing a money belt instead. The kind I am thinking about, you see them a lot in sports activities like biking or jogging, basically they have a pouch and belt that clips together and you wear it on your hip. My wife does this if me ever go out to the zoo, museum, biking or dancing. I tried it on halloween and it works great.

Paulette
05-07-2012, 04:59 PM
All you need is a little cross body small flat purse to hold lipstick,ID, money, car keys and may be a phone.
http://a1.zassets.com/images/z/1/8/9/6/7/0/1896708-p-MULTIVIEW_THUMBNAILS.jpg

Andy66
05-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Andy you are on!. Does that work if I get to Vegas? Charlies?

Sure, but be gentle with me. I'm scared of beautiful ladies. :ft: