PDA

View Full Version : Going out in public concerns .boulder co.

May
05-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Hello all. So I just moved into this town for a few months for work and I was wondering if some of you would be able to tell me about my concerns about
Going out really late at night? I'm not so worried about citizens, but I'm worried about the cops.

I don't want them to stop me when I'm taking a walk down the street, you know.

Vanessa Storrs
05-07-2012, 11:01 AM
It makes little difference how you're dressed, if you are walking around late at night you are going to arouse the curiosity of the cops. They will stop and ID you and ask why you are out and about at such a late hour. Once they determine that you are not a criminal they will send you on your way.

Lorileah
05-07-2012, 11:29 AM
As long as you don't break the law (or eat meat) you cannot get any safer on the street in Colorado than Boulder. It is the most easy going progressive area in the state. The night life is mostly very young (home of the CU Buffs) or naturalistic fare (very leftover 60's lifestyle...very green).

sandra-leigh
05-07-2012, 11:39 AM
if you are walking around late at night you are going to arouse the curiosity of the cops. They will stop and ID you

Is that statement specific to Boulder Colorado, or is it the way things are all through the USA? Perhaps I missed hearing about a fundamental legal change: I had always read that in the USA, if you are not driving a motor vehicle, police cannot require you to produce ID unless you are suspected of breaking a law. I acknowledge that this has either been or is proposed to be modified in Arizona, with its requirements that immigrants be required to produce ID on demand, but Colorado is not Arizona.

cathie pantyhose
05-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Hi May

I live in Boulder as well for about 22 months now but do not have the courage to go out dressed en femm either. I dont believe its a dangerous place to dress but i'm not the authority since i dont go out. My efforts have been to drive in to the mountains, find a remote location and have a lunch. I will say the cops in Colorado a as a whole are pretty aggresive so im sure their tolerance may be low. All the gay/c friendly bars are in denver too

Lorileah
05-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Hi May
I will say the cops in Colorado a as a whole are pretty aggresive so im sure their tolerance may be low.

Wow. I have lived in Colorado for 37 years and I have not met the aggressive cops you speak of. I have been out and about for 17 years, have spoken with law enforcement while dressed and otherwise. Have interacted with the Boulder PD and even during the crazy times like game days have always found them professional and courteous, even with drunk and disorderly college students. The police departments along the Front Range (at least Denver north) are very professional and have great tolerance. Better than what I have heard from people who live in Podunk USA.

Don't break any laws and the Boulder Police won't bother you. That said, and I have pointed this out many times, anytime someone is out, alone in the middle of the night, it is a police officers duty to 1) make sure you are not in any difficulty (like having car trouble, drinking, drugs, domestic abuse situations) and 2) make sure you are not out considering something that will put their constituents in any danger. I know everyone worries about he police at night while they are out walking, and it does NOT matter what you are wearing, but consider that you are doing something that isn't a daily occurrence. The police are required to make sure that you and the community is safe. The majority couldn't care less how you dress.

And I have never been in a place in Boulder that wasn't accepting of anyone no matter how they present

cathie pantyhose
05-07-2012, 12:12 PM
my reference to aggresive cops are regards to their manner for traffic violations (5 miles over the speed limit, hiding in blind corners, etc) not so in regards to crossdressing or TG lifestyle. If I had enough courage to go out dressed than maybe id experience a differnent story. Of course, if I looked as good as you fem I wouldn't be worried either. You are very fem in your profile pic you lucky gal!

Jenniferathome
05-07-2012, 02:52 PM
?..my concerns about Going out really late at night?
Boulder is fantastic and the only trouble out will get is from drunks. Still, women do NOT go walking about, alone, late at night. Just that activity will mark you as odd. You may become prey to some belligerent drunk or you may attract attention from the cops wondering what a woman is doing walking alone at night! Go out in the afternoon, early evening when others are out. No one cares, really.

kimdl93
05-07-2012, 03:08 PM
I don't know about boulder but I would agree that if you want to go for a walk, try an earlier time frame. I wouldn't worry about the police...the problem is more likely with the other folks roaming around in the late evening hours.

May
05-07-2012, 03:40 PM
As long as you don't break the law (or eat meat) you cannot get any safer on the street in Colorado than Boulder. It is the most easy going progressive area in the state. The night life is mostly very young (home of the CU Buffs) or naturalistic fare (very leftover 60's lifestyle...very green).

Hi. I actually don't want to risk bumping into anyone in the early night, plus I actually have to work till late too, so my only option is at late night. I'm not afraid of the locals, but it'd stink to be stopped by the boulder pd.

Lorileah, is that you in the photo? If so,wow.
Luckily I inherited my mom's pretty face and I'm pretty fit, so I'm not too worried about passing.

Karan49
05-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Hi May,

Boulder has been having a fairly high incidence of RAPE, ASSAULTS, and ROBBERIES along pedestrian and bike routes. If you are out late at night dressed en femme you can expect an officer will certainly stop you to investigate what a lone woman is doing walking outside at that time. They will be concerned for your safety and will probably point out that no WOMAN would be out alone at that time of night.

Some better alternatives may be to drive to a Wal Mart store and walk around while shopping. Or stop into King Soopers or have a safe late dinner at IHOP. Be sure to pull up close to the stores in the parking lot as WOMEN would not walk clear across the lot late at night.

If you are going to go out and about I urge you to attempt to think like a woman so as to avoid all the dangers inherent in going out and about. There is a sticky posted some where on this board that discusses the safety measures that are prudent to take. Please read it and take it to heart. I sure hope we don't read about you becoming another Boulder statistic and have to mourne your passing. Good luck and be careful out there.

Karan

May
05-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Hi May,

Boulder has been having a fairly high incidence of RAPE, ASSAULTS, and ROBBERIES along pedestrian and bike routes. If you are out late at night dressed en femme you can expect an officer will certainly stop you to investigate what a lone woman is doing walking outside at that time. They will be concerned for your safety and will probably point out that no WOMAN would be out alone at that time of night.

Some better alternatives may be to drive to a Wal Mart store and walk around while shopping. Or stop into King Soopers or have a safe late dinner at IHOP. Be sure to pull up close to the stores in the parking lot as WOMEN would not walk clear across the lot late at night.

If you are going to go out and about I urge you to attempt to think like a woman so as to avoid all the dangers inherent in going out and about. There is a sticky posted some where on this board that discusses the safety measures that are prudent to take. Please read it and take it to heart. I sure hope we don't read about you becoming another Boulder statistic and have to mourne your passing. Good luck and be careful out there.

Karan

Which areas are you referring to? I like quiet areas myself

Dana921
05-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Hello May!

I also would encourage huge caution at going out dressed or in drab late at night! It is the time that all of us are at the most risk for confrontation with others who may have simply had to much to drink or have a more conflict type of personality thus ruining a good evening. Even in guy mode (I hope) most of us choose to avoid those type of situations. There are so many venues in this area and a meetup group specifically for TG folks to meet others and enjoy a wonderful evening out with friends supporting you expressing yourself as well as being safe and having a great time doing dinner, shows, dancing or activities you enjoy.

Get 10 posts and then PM myself or others to help you!

Dana

Lorileah
05-07-2012, 04:43 PM
as noted, no matter where you go or what you do, use common sense. I would not walk alone on the street at night no matter what. On the other hand, maybe they will mistake you for an undercover officer and leave you alone. :) Karan, I think what you describe has been something Boulder has had to deal with for years. I know even 35 years ago assaults on co-eds on campus were rather high. Ft Collins seems to have this too and I believe it is the transient college crowd. Some guys when they get away from home tend to go crazy.

May, I tried to make a point last week with two threads. The first was do you really notice someone in another car when you are driving and the answer tends to be "no" so driving en femme is a way to NOT be noticed (unless again you break a law and usually when TG's are dressed they are excellent drivers because they are more conservative). The other thread asked if you would notice someone walking alone at night and especially when in a dress or skirt and most people would notice that so you will attract attention. Karan made a point of going somewhere more public (I have been in and out of King Soopers many times as I tend to forget I need something until I am on my way home). I just don't know how much they will appreciate a lurker late at night in the store. I would guess that you will be noticed a lot that way too.

Bottom line, expect to be noticed. Even if it isn't the police it may be someone in the neighborhood who will call the cops.

And thank you for the nice compliments. Yes that is my photo, a few years back.

May
05-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Dana: thank you. I didn't know you need 10 posts to pm.

Lorileah: I understand. I really don't want to go to places where there are ppl. Just don't wNt to risk bumping to someone I know. I've only been taking a walk at quiet places, but I'm thinking I'm going to start walking near the streets and at least take my bike with me.
I really like taking a quiet walk, kinda feels breezy and free :)

Bree Wagner
05-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Just don't wNt to risk bumping to someone I know.

If you've only been there a few months there can't be that many people you know, right? ;) You could also always drive down to Denver, it's not terribly far away. There are plenty of quiet, or not so quiet, places to go. There are also groups to meet with if you want to. If the cops are that much of a concern, just don't speed. :) Have fun.

-Bree

May
05-07-2012, 10:57 PM
Ah, I'm saving to buy a car again. Sold my last one since my landlord kept raising rent by $100/mo.
So I'm stuck to biking or walking.
Denver has a quiet areA with no ppl almost? I always thought it's always full of ppl.

Noel Chimes
05-08-2012, 05:49 AM
Though I have never been to Boulder but as a general rule, when something looks out of place the police will take a second look. In the various times i have been out here in St. Louis, I have been approached twice by local officers. Though they tried to be as professional as possible, it does draw attention because people do take notice when officers are congregating around someone. If you are stopped, follow their directions, answer their questions truthfully and you will be on your way without much more inconvenience. Above all DON'T ARGUE. To quote a famous line, " me thinks thou dost protest too much".

May
05-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Ok. General rule is be careful. So seems like boulder is one of the best places compared to most huh?

Cheryl T
05-09-2012, 07:29 AM
If you're out "really late at night" as you said then you are asking for them to look at you carefully.
They may not look to stop you, but they will look. It's not a normal thing for a woman to be out walking "really late at night" anywhere anymore. They SHOULD pay attention to you because you may need help, they will look because you are alone.
Don't go "really late at night". Go out when it's a reasonable hour and other people are generally out and about and you won't be noticed as much.
Find a group in your area and join it, then you can go out with others and not be unusual.

Karan49
05-09-2012, 01:52 PM
May,

If you really want to know, check the weekly crime map for Boulder, CO. You're online and its easy to google it.

Karan

cathie pantyhose
05-09-2012, 02:41 PM
May,

If you really want to know, check the weekly crime map for Boulder, CO. You're online and its easy to google it.

Karan

not to totally knock this one down but that is helpful for reported crimes...typically crimes against CD/TG/TS etc unfortunatly go unreported but still a start