PDA

View Full Version : physical dilemma

tonidouglas
05-09-2012, 04:03 AM
Ok,

So I love to stay in shape although sometimes I am not very successful with it. One of the things I do in my routine is weight lifting. I find myself after a few months of lifting wanting to go heavier. This puts me into a dilemma because the heavier I go the bigger and more masculine I appear.

Does anyone else do this and if so how do you handle it?

Celeste
05-09-2012, 04:58 AM
Hi toni,this very same thing happened to me(universal in my dining room).I refocused on exercises that worked a full spectrum of muscle groups,the running,swimming and biking can do this.I replaced all that pumping with pilates, floor exercise and primarily focusing on all of my abdominal's. So now I don't neglect upper body strenth,I just don't do anything to emphasize it.

Karren H
05-09-2012, 06:03 AM
We have this receptionist at work who lifts and she looks amazing with her large arms... If your goal is to look more feminine AND be in shape.... Stop lifting and sign up for Zumba....

Beverley Sims
05-09-2012, 06:04 AM
Pilates and exercises with figure rings would be better.
Weight lifting and female figure sounds something like an oxymoron to me.:)

kimdl93
05-09-2012, 06:50 AM
do more reps at lower weight. You may not bulk up as much.

Laura912
05-09-2012, 08:35 AM
There are many physical training shaping exercises for women, that keep one fit. Ask a trainer to show you some or get some books. But stay in shape. ;)

JenniferR771
05-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Concentrate on a flat stomach and slender waist. Pilates and related core exercises, and you probably know better than I what would shape your fem figure. Belly dancing lessons? Legs and big butt--fine. Broad shoulders and big big biceps not so much. I do a bit of weight training, but I am so small to start with--it hardly shows. And I am trying to build up my pecs...well that is always good. Knockers up!

Click my name and look at my profile to see my almost non-existent biceps.

insearchofme
05-09-2012, 10:09 AM
I now exactly how you feel. I've been strength training for 48 years and have done numerous routines. Because of my age (in the 60s) I really don't need to go heavy, but as you know, sometimes you just have to "taste the weight"!

There has been some good exercise advice given here and the idea of lighter weight and an increase in reps is correct. Not lifting weights is certainly not an option for people like us so we need to be smart. One of the things I do that has helped me keep and gain strength but not get too massive is:

doing one set to failure (if you can do 30 reps then increase the weight by 5 to 10 lbs),
on your second set keep the same weight and go to failure again. The key is to rest only 1 minute between sets ( you should be able to do half the number of reps as your first set

on your third set rest another minute then drop the weight by 10 to 20 lbs and go to failure again, you should be able to as many or a little more reps as your second set

I only do one exercise per body part per workout and I change the exercise each workout, ie for chest I bench one day, pec deck the next, dumbbell bench the next workout ect.

This way you'll get your multiple reps and at the same time get strength gains. Usually once a year for a month I'll pick an exercise and lift heavy caus after all, sometimes you've just got to go heavy! Hope this helps and if you have any questions just PM me.

tonidouglas
05-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks everyone some good suggestions starting with the higher rep lower rep

jacky83
05-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Stop lifting and sign up for Zumba.... Zumba is a great excercise with a lot of hip wiggling & butt shakking.