PDA

View Full Version : Caught by the R.I.D.E. Program...and lived to tell the tale

Leslie Langford
05-09-2012, 12:36 PM
As some of you may know, the R.I.D.E. (or Reduce Impaired Driving Everywhere) is a sobriety testing program for motorists used by police in Canada. It involves roadside spot-checks that typically appear during the holidays to catch drunk drivers, but the program lasts year round and may be randomly applied.

Police roadside spot-checks are usually set up on major roadways, off-ramps, or on side streets leading to major arteries where traffic is funneled into one direction and there is no means of avoidance once one is caught in this trap. Tunnels and underpasses where these road checks are not visible until one is practically on top of them are among other favorite spots. Kind of like shooting fish in a barrel...

All cars are stopped, and questions are asked. If a driver is suspected to be DUI, the officer may request a roadside breathalyzer test. Spot checks usually consist of several cruisers and pylons to direct cars into the area. Tow trucks may also be on standby to remove any vehicles with drivers caught drunk.

Well, long story short - I was caught in one of these R.I.D.E. checks after I left the ANTM ("America's Next Top Model") event held at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre last Friday, and which I reported on in another thread earlier this week:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?173812-I-got-to-meet-ANTM-finalist-Isis-King-in-person-and-she-hugged-me...Twice!&highlight=

Upon leaving the convention centre, I had taken a small side street to avoid the main traffic, and lo and behold! - I suddenly found myself face-to-face with one of these R.I.D.E. Program stops! Of course, my initial reaction was "Oh, sh*t - how do I get myself out of here?", but I also quickly realized that taking any evasive action would have been totally counter-productive and would have just attracted their attention with who-knows-what? consequences. So I sucked it up, proceeded forward, and decided to let the chips fall where thay may. It wasn't so much that I was worried about the drinking aspect - I hadn't had anything stronger to drink all evening than a Coke - it was more about how the cops would react to me and the way I was presenting, and potentially hassle me for it.

Well, I needn't have worried. When I approached the actual stop, rolled down my window, and the officer stuck his head into my car within 6" of my face to see if he could detect any hint of liquor on my breath, I simply replied that no, I hadn't had anything to drink that night and gave him my best (if forced:)) smile. He then took a quick look around the inside of my car, said "Thank you Ma'am - go ahead!", and waved me on my way.

In the end, this spot check turned out to be a total non-event. It was also a fitting - if unexpected - end to an otherwise fabulous evening, and just the icing on the cake. Needless to say, it was also a huge ego boost to my ability to blend in (pass?), and if ever I had any lingering doubts before, they are all gone now... :eek: :heehee:

SabrinaEmily
05-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Reading about this police-statism makes me sick. And it'll be migrating down to the US in no time, I have no doubt.

Congratulations on apparently passing, though.

RADER
05-09-2012, 02:11 PM
That was a great story, glad it worked out to your benefit.
That happened to my wife many years ago; On New Years Day, about 2 AM. she was coming home from
babysitting the Grand kids. She got stopped by a road side check point. Since like yo, the only thing she had
drink was a Soda Pop. The Policeman asked where she was going, Home from Baby Sitting the Grand Kids.
Good night and Happy New year he told my wife, She responded Happy New Year also.
Those Check points are a good thing, Keeping those DUI off the road lets others live a lot longer.
Rader

Cheryl T
05-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Reading about this police-statism makes me sick. And it'll be migrating down to the US in no time, I have no doubt.

Migrating to the U.S. in no time??? Where have you been?
We've had random roadside sobriety checks in NJ for decades. I've never encountered one dressed, but I certainly wouldn't worry about it as when I go out dressed I do not drink.

As for the Police State...well, I would much rather have them out there getting the drunks off the road then having them clean me off the tarmac after some drunk T-bones me. They have a job to do simply because people are not grown-up enough to obey the law. They pick and choose which laws they think apply to them and let the rest of us suffer the consequences and the expense of their immaturity. This is evidenced simply by driving on any road, especially the interstates. It's easier to count those that adhere to the law than those that don't.
When we can all respect each other and obey the stipulations that society has agreed upon then the police won't have a job and you won't have to worry about the Police State. Until then, don't drink and drive, slow down and obey the speed limits and let them do what they get paid to do.

Lori Robins
05-09-2012, 04:53 PM

Yeah I spose it is way safer to have drunken and coked up idiots driving where ever they want. Have a talk to the people who have to deal with the consequences of this when things go wrong, like the EMTs or better still family members killed by these morons. Give me police-statism anyday!!!!

I'm glad you had a positive experience Leslie, its something I've always wondered/worried (?) about when I am out and about.

Barbara Ella
05-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Great story Leslie. And what a way to boost the confidence, makes that smile even wider I bet.

Certainly not a police state activity as it really does protect us all. Shame the courts dont have as proactive of an attitude when they catch a DUI who causes an accident. I guess they are gradually getting tougher, but not enough. Illinois sucks.

Barbara

Piora
05-09-2012, 06:33 PM

Yeah I spose it is way safer to have drunken and coked up idiots driving where ever they want. Have a talk to the people who have to deal with the consequences of this when things go wrong, like the EMTs or better still family members killed by these morons. Give me police-statism anyday!!!!

I'm glad you had a positive experience Leslie, its something I've always wondered/worried (?) about when I am out and about.

Migrating to the U.S. in no time??? Where have you been?
We've had random roadside sobriety checks in NJ for decades. I've never encountered one dressed, but I certainly wouldn't worry about it as when I go out dressed I do not drink.

As for the Police State...well, I would much rather have them out there getting the drunks off the road than having them clean me off the tarmac after some drunk T-bones me. They have a job to do simply because people are not grown-up enough to obey the law. They pick and choose which laws they think apply to them and let the rest of us suffer the consequences and the expense of their immaturity. This is evidenced simply by driving on any road, especially the interstates. It's easier to count those that adhere to the law than those that don't.
When we can all respect each other and obey the stipulations that society has agreed upon then the police won't have a job and you won't have to worry about the Police State. Until then, don't drink and drive, slow down and obey the speed limits and let them do what they get paid to do.

Lori and Cheryl.....you said everything that I would have said in response to that. If a small inconvenience such as being briefly stopped at a R.I.D.E. program means that they can pull these brainless drunk cretins off the road - MORE POWER TO THEM! Such a small price to pay. Those drunks they stop and keep from proceeding MIGHT just save YOUR life, Sabrina. Or perhaps your brother or sister, or daughter, or Mother....... Need I go on? We also have an organization up here in Canada called M.A.D.D. (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) and it is an absolutely awesome organization. They help victims and victims' families cope with those tragedies, and also sponsor events to target these self-centered morons who drink and drive .

Leslie, sorry - I don't mean to sidetrack your thread, but I just feel that is so very important to talk about this. <steps off soapbox>

Back on track - I'm thrilled for you that you obviously passed as a woman! I'm sure that it was a bit of a heart-thumper for you, but next time, you won't sweat it! Thanks for sharing that experience with us.

UNDERDRESSER
05-09-2012, 08:20 PM
I read Sabrina's response as sarcastic humor?????

BLUE ORCHID
05-09-2012, 08:27 PM
That was a great story ma'am yes I've had an O $#!+ moment like that too.

TxKimberly
05-09-2012, 08:29 PM
It's little events like this that have made me as confident and outgoing as I am these days. The VAST majority of the people out there really couldn't care less what we are wearing or how we choose to present ourselves. In almost all cases, WE are the only ones that are stopping us from getting out in the world.

Frankly I get irritated when I hear people talking trash about the police out there. I'm sure that there are a few bad apples, but the majority of the cops out there are good and decent people trying to do a difficult job, and they have absolutely no desire to make life harder on us ASSUMING of course that we aren't drinking and driving or "street walking".

So now you have another confidence building event under your belt - you met Johny Law and he did care in the least what you were wearing. LOL

Oh hell, that stuff has been going on here in the states for at least two and a half decades that I know of. I remember check points like that when I was a very young person on the Army and driving in Oklahoma in 1984

SabrinaEmily
05-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Lori and Cheryl.....you said everything that I would have said in response to that. If a small inconvenience such as being briefly stopped at a R.I.D.E. program means that they can pull these brainless drunk cretins off the road - MORE POWER TO THEM! Such a small price to pay. Those drunks they stop and keep from proceeding MIGHT just save YOUR life, Sabrina. Or perhaps your brother or sister, or daughter, or Mother....... Need I go on? We also have an organization up here in Canada called M.A.D.D. (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) and it is an absolutely awesome organization. They help victims and victims' families cope with those tragedies, and also sponsor events to target these self-centered morons who drink and drive .

Leslie, sorry - I don't mean to sidetrack your thread, but I just feel that is so very important to talk about this. <steps off soapbox>

And the state of constant surveillence of which this is a part, with all the other destructive actions it will take toward people's rights (and has already taken), might well cost me my life.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." -Pitt the Younger

More to the point, it's not a choice between this and doing nothing about drunk driving.

So, Underdresser: you were mistaken.

Marleena
05-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Glad it went so well for you Leslie.:) It could have ruined a "most excellent day" for you. You passed.:)

Daphne
05-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Glad it went well for you Leslie. I for a fact know I would have been scared sh*tless if it had been me. I was going to make a comment regarding what SabrinaEmily posted, but I don't want to turn this into a argument, and get the mods angry, so I'll just say nothing.
Again, Im glad things went well for you. :)

RiverdanceGirl
05-09-2012, 09:27 PM
I've been stopped by the R.I.D.E. program. It's no biggie. A nice police officer asks you how you are doing and how is your day, then asks if you've had anything to drink at all. Last time I told him I'd had a beer with my dinner but that was 3 hours ago. He gave me a coupon book and told me to have a good day. I don't have a problem with it. On the holidays there are quite a lot of people who have accidentally overindulged and need to be taken off the road temporarliy. And they also catch people who are well liquored up and have no license/insurance. That's good too. Being pulled over while dressed by a police officer in Ontario, I wouldn't worry about it. I might be nervous at the time but they're good guys and have been trained well.

Stephanie47
05-09-2012, 10:24 PM
These roads side stops have been around for a very long time. Some states even have stops to test the mechanical worthiness of a vehicle. These stops are one reason why I do not drink even one sip of alcohol when driving en femme. No sign of alcohol on the breath means no reason to make any further inquiry. I also make sure my car is in working order for the same reason; lights, etc

docrobbysherry
05-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Nice post, Leslie! It's good to point out to our members that if YOU'RE NOT DOING ANYTHING ILLEGAL U SHOULD HAVE NOTHING TO FEAR from authorities! And, being out dressed is NOT illegal in most Western 1st World Countries!

giuseppina
05-09-2012, 11:25 PM

Your comments are a bit much. :sad: Perhaps if you had a relative killed or maimed by a drunk or otherwise impaired driver you might have a different opinion.

Somebody tried to challenge the RIDE program on constitutional grounds as infringing on security of the person and freedom from unreasonable search and seizure or something to that effect. They lost at the Supreme Court of Canada, which ruled that RIDE programs were a reasonable infringement of rights and freedoms. Canadian courts don't make such rulings lightly.

Maria Blackwood
05-10-2012, 01:08 AM
There is no correlation between the use of sobriety checkpoints and reduction in DUI fatalities. In fact, fatalities were bottoming out when checkpoints were declared (barely) constitutional and began to see widespread use. They have accomplished nothing.

http://www.duiblog.com/2005/04/19/

Whether or not I have had a friend or relative killed by a drunk driver is completely irrelevant. All that matters is the numbers.

The DUI checkpoints are a scam for cops to get easy overtime.

http://www.fullertonsfuture.org/2010/the-dui-checkpoint-scam/

mikiSJ
05-10-2012, 02:58 AM
DUI checkpoints, while very much an annoyance if you aren't drinking, are worthwhile. I am really lucky the three or four times I have been really drunk and driving as I managed to get where I was going without injuring or killing my passengers and other drivers.

I wish I could move to Vancouver, BC. The second best city, after my birthplace San Francisco.

Contessa
05-10-2012, 03:25 AM
Leslie

So who were you going to make think you were a man in woman's clothing? I could tell you were a woman the first time I saw your avatar. Why would any guy go to the ANTM show anyway. So just because I am not an officer of the law doesn't mean I don't know a woman when I see one. Please keep moving ma'am and don't try to pretend that you're really a guy when we know better than that. You looked very nice I'm sure as you do in your avatar. Anyway have a wonderful day my dear.

Tess

debbeelee1
05-10-2012, 07:17 AM
I'm glad everything worked out for you Leslie! My wife and I absolutely never drink and drive. One of us will be the designated driver and the other the desegnated drinker if we do indulge! Both of us have CDL's and that means that our legal BAC is half of "normal" folks, even when driving a car (0.04% here in Ohio!).

Unfortunately, crossdressing and drinking at bars seems to go hand and hand. I can't even imagine being caught drunk driving while en femme, being arrested, processed and throw in the drunk tank with a bunch of drunks while dressed! I'm sure the media would make a "newsworthy" event out of it too!

Claire Cook
05-10-2012, 07:43 AM
It's little events like this that have made me as confident and outgoing as I am these days. The VAST majority of the people out there really couldn't care less what we are wearing or how we choose to present ourselves. In almost all cases, WE are the only ones that are stopping us from getting out in the world.

I think Kim has really hit the point of this thread. Folks have a lot more to worry about than whether some guy is wearing a dress.

Foxglove
05-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Well done, Leslie! That's keeping cool!

Here in Ireland there's such a culture of drinking that when "The State" began cracking down on drunk driving, people everywhere were moaning about it, as if driving while drunk is a human right. I remember one time on a weekend I was out walking early in the morning, and I saw a car stop and the driver and passenger got out and exchanged seats. That puzzled me until I looked up the road and saw a police checkpoint. (In Ireland the cops are still out at 7 or 8 AM, because Irish people go on drinking so late that the ones who are drunk are still going to be drunk at that time.) In other words, the driver knew he was going to get nailed at the checkpoint, so they quickly switched. That sums up the Irish attitude: there's nothing wrong with driving drunk, just do your best not to get caught at it--and don't worry about other people who might pay the price for your drunkenness.

That's why checkpoints are necessary. And it's very nice to see they're looking for drinkers, not nice girls like Leslie.

Annabelle

SabrinaEmily
05-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Your comments are a bit much. :sad: Perhaps if you had a relative killed or maimed by a drunk or otherwise impaired driver you might have a different opinion.

Somebody tried to challenge the RIDE program on constitutional grounds as infringing on security of the person and freedom from unreasonable search and seizure or something to that effect. They lost at the Supreme Court of Canada, which ruled that RIDE programs were a reasonable infringement of rights and freedoms. Canadian courts don't make such rulings lightly.

I don't agree. Besides, I'm not Canadian.

I would hope that the circumstances of my life would not cloud my judgment on what is permissible for a government to do and what is not.

There is no correlation between the use of sobriety checkpoints and reduction in DUI fatalities. In fact, fatalities were bottoming out when checkpoints were declared (barely) constitutional and began to see widespread use. They have accomplished nothing.

http://www.duiblog.com/2005/04/19/

Whether or not I have had a friend or relative killed by a drunk driver is completely irrelevant. All that matters is the numbers.

The only one supporting me on this is also a fellow My Little Pony fan? Cool.

Thanks for that Thomas Paine quote on the blog you cited: "It is the responsibility of the patriot to protect [their] country from its government." (OK, slightly altered for gender neutrality.) I'll remember it.

Anyway, I don't drive much, so I wasn't aware that these were already everywhere. I guess it's later than I thought.

Piora
05-10-2012, 10:05 PM
I cannot attest for the state of California, or any other state in the US.....but I suspect that your facts are wrong. Logic dictates that you are, because they DO pull dangerously intoxicated drivers off the road on our RIDE program up here. Why it wouldn't be just as effective elsewhere, as it is here, makes no sense.

Sure...... that's what you say NOW - but let's just hope that you never have to suffer that experience. I think you'd change your mind rather abruptly.

Pffffttttt! "EASY" overtime? I've been through RIDE programs where the cops were standing out in pouring rain and freezing drizzle.....traffic whizzing by - and they STILL managed a cheerful hello. Yeah, right....love to have their job.......

The above blog? Did you read it all? I quote:

"patrons at downtown bars were spreading the word… intoxicated drivers should drive around the checkpoint on the way home."

Well, duh! Yeah, not too effective when that happens, is it? Don't you think they would have caught a lot more if that hadn't happened? Up here, at Christmas and New Year's Eve, people were warning others by Tweeting the RIDE locations on their Blackberries and IPhones. I wonder how one of those people might feel if they found out that a drunk driver avoided the RIDE stop that way, and went on to kill 2 people - a family on their way home from visiting friends. That happened in another city near mine, and a passenger with the drunk that caused the accident said that was what happened. The drunk read the Tweet on his phone. He had no sympathy for his "friend" that put him in the hospital, and was responsible for 2 deaths.

Enough said.

Anyway, as this has strayed from the original poster's thread, I'm sure that it will be closed by a Mod.

Maria Blackwood
05-11-2012, 09:28 AM
*shrug* The statistics speak for themselves.

Jessica86
05-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Well, that's a relief for sure! One thing most people think is that police, fire, and medical personnel will perceive them as different when they come in contact with them. Truth be told they really don't. I was at an accident where a guy was pulled from a car wearing a men's dress shirt with a skirt, hose, and heels on. Not one person of any emergency personnel said a thing. They come across it more than any other profession....so if you do happen to run into one...such as this situation...just stay calm. If anything....those who do have a problem...don't want to deal with it and just let you go anyway. Shouldn't be something to worry about.

*shrug* The statistics speak for themselves.

Nope. Like any other person who hates cops, you never think about what AFFECTS those numbers. Times have changed and fatality accidents have dropped in EVERY state regardless of checkpoints, laws, what have you. This is because people do not factor in the time change in technology in vehicles. When those studies came out....we did not have curtain airbags in as many cars as now. That was a HUGE difference maker. Photo lights affected fatal accident statistics also. I'll go ahead and say it. I've watched a car full of kids burn to death. Right in front of me...because some retard drove drunk. He died too, but impact. Until you see that and you hear the voices of two young girls screaming help while burning.....shut up. Seriously. We don't have check points in Texas and we have the deadliest stretch of highway in the NATION for DUI accidents. In a two mile stretch, 58 have lost their lives in the past two years alone. They have tried to put a checkpoint near this stretch, and people would rather spend the money on a new dog park, than fund an expansion of a DUI division within the local authority. Truth. The headline of the paper was "Citizens rather have dogs than cops." Sickens me.
Those who try to put cops in the dark...don't look deep into the information. DUI checkpoints are NOT paid overtime for officers. It has to be approved by the county commissioner's court, which in turn goes into the county budget. County budget does not approve overtime as it is not a definate amount of spending. They have to know down to the penny what they are going to spend or it does not pass. The only time it gets approved is when a neighborhood wants a contract position for officers like during Christmas time. They will expand a division with a paid position to do that....but it's not overtime. The only scam here is you trying to fight with bad information.
So, *shrug* some people hate cops....and everything they do...even though they are getting shot at, spit on, run over, and work twice the hours most people do for half the pay. The expired body armor, 200,000 mile cars, and not to mention they have to buy all of their belt equipment, extra uniforms, rifles, shotguns, cuffs, batons, handguns, pins, badges, and even PAY for training out of their own pocket. Why pay them overtime when 40,000 a year should cover all of that plus feeding a family? I know someone who was behind a robbery suspect....and his car broke down....letting the guy get away. Yeah.....whatever. I'm done with this soap box.

UNDERDRESSER
05-11-2012, 01:19 PM
And the state of constant surveillence of which this is a part, with all the other destructive actions it will take toward people's rights (and has already taken), might well cost me my life.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." -Pitt the Younger

More to the point, it's not a choice between this and doing nothing about drunk driving.

So, Underdresser: you were mistaken.I stand corrected.

I have my own problems with the DUI laws, particularly here in Alberta, but overall, I am in agreement with getting the seriously drunk off the roads. But .0001 over? Then all decisions go against you? Even if the other driver blatantly was in the wrong?

However, that's a discussion for another forum.

Thing is, the idea you inferred that things would be better off South of the border from a personal liberty point was what made think you were being humorous.