PDA

View Full Version : I was mistaken for my daughter! (long post)

Claire Cook
05-09-2012, 10:07 PM
I was mistaken for my daughter!

Today was a very interesting day and I just had to share it with you all. First, some background. This weekend we head to DC for my cousin’s wedding – a story in itself as he proposed to her on the White House lawn. So we needed a gift, and decided on a gift card from Williams-Sonoma. To get that, I had to go to the Gardens Mall in Palm Beach Gardens, about an hour south of here. They have a Nordy’s, a Bloomy’s, and, well, Claire just had to go.

Just as I’m pulling out of the garage, the neighbors’ cleaning lady drives up with her husband. Now we had a cleaning lady (yes, Claire loves doing housework, but we do need that help) who is having personal problems, and I had spoken to Rose about working for us. So … Claire gets out of the car with the intent of telling Rose that we are interested in hiring her. “Hi Rose! Can we talk about having you look at our place?” A silence. Then she recognizes me. “I thought you were C___’s daughter!” Whoa -- I’m mistaken for my DAUGHTER?? :eek: (We have no kids.) Then “Omigosh, you’re gorgeous!” (Really!! And I’m only wearing a peasant top and jeans.) Well, all of the barriers break down. She gives me a high five, we talk about having her look at the place and talk about details, and then tells me that she has gone to some of the drag shows in Port St. Lucie. We laugh, hug, and she gives me another high five. We have to keep this girl! (Yes, all of our former housekeepers knew Claire – a special bond, I think.) So the Pink Fog really set in!

On the road to West Palm Beach. One little hiccup. There is construction, and I had to wait for 15 minutes, so I turn the engine off. Time to get going. No start, oh s—t. I look in the rear mirror and there is this long line behind me, and I think “What are you going to do if you’re stuck here?” Well, girl, get it together. Finally on the fifth or sixth try it starts, and I wend my way to I-95.

So I get to the mall and park next to Nordstrom’s (of course!). I’ll restrain myself for now – this is a BIG mall (four levels), and I need to find Williams-Sonoma. It’s near Nordy’s. I walk in and check out their spices – some good stuff, so I grab some Madras curry powder and Szechuan pepper. In line, and the saleslady says ‘Good morning ladies” (there is a woman next to me) “.. you two must be related, you look so much alike” (this made me feel sorry for the other lady, but she was really cute). I mumbled something like “I always wanted a sister”. I get the card, she wishes me a happy wedding weekend, then says “Don’t forget to zip up your purse.” HUH? Oh, the compartment where I keep my wallet. Every time I go out, something new. Why couldn’t I have been trained as a girl from the start?

Change of pace. OK, I’ve shopped en drab for women’s clothes (but it is SO much better en femme!) This time something different. I needed some guy stuff, so I said, “Why not?” I go into the Izod Lacoste store and look at polos. Salesgirl: “May I help you, sir?” Now there was a time when I would have been very PO’d at that – even if I’m read, I’d at least expect the courtesy of the proper pronoun. Now I take it in stride as a matter of pride. Hey, if that guy has the guts to dress as a woman, and maybe look halfway decent, all the more credit to him. So my 2 cents’ on being “read”.

OK, checking out all of the stores here, and I’m about to turn around when .. OH OH .. there is a M.A.C. store! Now some 10 years ago I got up the nerve to have a makeover done at a Clinique counter. Still have some of the stuff, but it really did not look good on me and I’ve never gone back. This really cute lady asks “May I help you?” “Indeed! I’m a crossdresser and I need advice, and I’m told M.A.C. is the place to get it.” “Indeed it is – let’s find a place to sit down and see what we can do.” Well, the salesgirl – Melinda – was wonderful (and knew she had putty sitting in front of her). The story of how you blend skin tones – how best to hide that bluish bread problem (“We have a lot of TG clients. And I love RuPaul – do you watch her Drag Race programs?” I’m hooked.) So I learn for the first time how to apply foundation, then primer (smooths out those male pores) , then bronzer. “You must use brushes and here is why. Sponges get too full of makeup and add moisture, and your fingers cannot apply the light even coat you need.” She explains how to tone down my strong jaw, where to add darkening to de-emphasize the nose, how to deal with the hairline. “You know of course that M.A.C. is a candy store for women.” Was this kid ever in a candy store! It was just a wonderful experience .. and before I knew it, what with brushes and everything else, I was on the far side of $300 – and no regrets! So .. for you girls in South Florida, if you haven’t found the M.A.C. store in the Garden Mall, go for it .. ask for Melinda, and tell her Claire sent you .. but don’t forget your credit card.

My wife is at a business meeting in San Diego, and I told her of the day’s adventures. “So you didn’t get anything from Chico’s or Nordy’s? No? Well, we’ll just have to go there together. BTW, do you think Melinda could help me?” Well, love, there is just one way to find out…

All in all, a terrific day – sorry to go on and on about it!

Barbara Ella
05-09-2012, 10:44 PM
If ever there was a reason to go on about an outing, this is definitely it. Sounds like a wonderful day, one to look forward to. Thanks so much for sharing this with us, I get goosebumps knowing how it feels finally after today.

Barbara

Cynthia Anne
05-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Claire! That is just way too much fun for one girl to have in one day! Thanks for the great story! Hugs!

Debra Russell
05-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Very encouraging - I would like to try a Mac makeover....................Debra

RADER
05-10-2012, 04:14 PM
You did great, you look marvelous.
Rader

ArleneRaquel
05-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Claire,
I great post and a lovely lady.

kimdl93
05-10-2012, 06:36 PM
What a fun day Claire! The girl at MAC was certainly a doll and did a great job...don't feel too bad, I dropped more than $300 my last tripnto MAC too!

Claire Cook
05-11-2012, 05:35 AM
Thanks everyone for the great replies! That day is going to stay with me. Sue asked me if I tried everything on yet .. not yet, but I will! Melinda gave me a report for my homework, complete with a "road map". Can't say enough for the girl!

What a fun day Claire! The girl at MAC was certainly a doll and did a great job...don't feel too bad, I dropped more than $300 my last tripnto MAC too!

Kim, I'm glad I'm in such great company!