PDA

View Full Version : Verizon takes the high road..... WOW.

Jackie Bee
05-10-2012, 01:37 AM
Let me start by saying that I'v worked for Verizon for over 7 years and I have served as a, very active Union Steward for 4 of those years. In the past Verizon has not been that friendly and I was expecting a fight when I told them I had decided to go to work dressed without being under a Doctor/Physiatrist care and in the process of transition .

I have no big desire to go to work every day dressed (for me its to much work) however If I did, it would offer a lot of opportunities to get out more. I get off work at 11pm and can get to the clubs by 11:30pm if I'm already dressed. Iv missed out on birthday party's, bands I wanted to see (hate going in drab).

But no more.

The only reason I have told nobody at work in the past 6 months since Iv been going out is because I don't care about anyone there, have no fiends there that I associate outside of work (this is deliberate on my part, I don't mix work with play)

Verizon takes the high road..... WOW.

I advised my HR department that I will go to work en femme on Saturday 12th. It took them 4 days to respond but they were very positive about the whole thing. To my surprise. I had talked to my Union (CWA), Lambda Legal and Verizon's own internal support/advocacy group GLOBE. But HR department my Director and Manager were all very sportive and actually encouraging (strange).

Then I found this article below.....

"Verizon Creates Transgender Employment Protections" (http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/02/27/433091/verizon-creates-transgender-employment-protections/)

arrr . Apparently this is a current hot topic that the company is all over. So 2 highly polished thumbs up for Verizon. That don't happen often.

vivianann
05-10-2012, 02:21 AM
That is awesome, I hope your experience enfemme at work will be a woderful experience. Keep us posted.

Jackie Bee
05-10-2012, 02:46 AM
vivianann, I don't think it will bee as boring as it normally is. I will update. I will need to get a pic outside with the logo in the background. :)

JessHaust
05-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Congratulations Jackie, i knew once you had decided to do something it would get done, I glad it worked out so well.
For those here that don't know Jackie, know that if Verizon had not been willing to accept her, she would not have stopped until then gave in. She is a very determined and very positive influence in our community.

Kate Simmons
05-10-2012, 09:31 AM
So, they hiring Hon? Not for myself as I'm happily retired but I've seen many gals on here who would die for a chance to work en femme.:)

Tina B.
05-10-2012, 09:48 AM
You know you have started a rush of job applications! lol
Tina B.

Contessa
05-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Quite funny that this type of thread came up at this time. On saturday the 12th of May I went to work dressed. I usually don't but why go home to change if I was already on the train headed in that direction. That is the way I get to work anyway. A blue mid leg high skirt and a 3/4 length sleeve white top. I have dressed and left work usually on fridays with only a few people knowing and without incident. I was told on Monday not come to work wearing anything that would make me unrecognizable. Or if I wanted to come to work that way I would have to have another ID. Now this, should I in the wake of your situation go get approved for fridays and go and leave work on fridays only? Or anytime I want to? Incidentally I work as a custodian at a high school. I don't want to work every day en femme but it seem I could once a week. What of over time as I usually dress on the weekend? Can some of you help with answers?

Tess

Leslie Langford
05-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Jackie, I'm very happy for you that you have achieved this noteworthy goal with Verizon, and in doing so, have put a face to a real-life TG experience for them involving one of their own. Now they have the opportunity to put their theories and high-minded commitments to our community to the test under real-world scrutiny.

But being a natural-born skeptic, I always tend to believe that if something is too good to be true, it usually is. There may be a real danger here that you have now become the "token" TG in your particular corner of the Verizon empire insofar as their HR Department is concerned.

Be aware that you may now have inadvertently put yourself into the position of being their "go-to" person when it comes time to advance their agenda in "proving" to the outside world just how politically correct and in tune with the times they are with respect to equality, inclusiveness, and the embracing of diversity among their employees.

Just be sure that you hold your own and don't become a pawn in their attempts to advance their agenda in that regard should that become a distinct possibility - especially once the euphoria over this level of acceptance has subsided and reality sets in.

kimdl93
05-10-2012, 10:51 AM
I've been one of their customers for years, and although I am not enthusiastic about thier pricing and some of the little gimmicks they use to boost charges, I do like the quality of service and coverage area. And now I find I like their corporate gender policies too. Good for you, Jackie!

Stephanie47
05-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Some employers are taking the high road because various state laws protect cross dressers as well as gays and lesbians. In Washington State the law protects cross dressers, and, certain cities (Seattle and Tacoma) enhance that protection further than state law. In years past protection had been afforded to persons transitioning from one sex to another, but, under the current law, if you want to wear feminine clothing you are protected. Others states are not so progressive or supportive. It is also an interesting fact, although the law protect cross dressers, I really haven't seen a surge of cross dressers in the general employee population.

Jackie Bee
05-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Thank you all for your responces, yes we are hiring and yes being the poster girl is something I did not overlook. As a ex Union Steward I love a fight especially when I have the Federal Government (EEOC) at my back Jess .

I found some more info on my company.

I know now why they are being cool with this.
Because our company has a big hart and just want
to do whats right ? Maybee...

Verizon Creates Transgender Employment Protections (http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/02/27/433091/verizon-creates-transgender-employment-protections/)

Why ? Because they are concerned with the rights of Transgender employees, No.

It only took 5 years of beating them over the head with shareholder votes to do this.
uuworld.org : uua persuades verizon to protect transgender workers (http://www.uuworld.org/news/articles/192865.shtml)

Sandra1746
05-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Hi Jackie,
It looks like hard work and persistence won one this time. Good for you; and enjoy your new freedom. Verizon does deserve a "pat on the back" despite their reluctance to come around to common sense; better late than never.

Hugs,
Sandra1746

Kate Simmons
05-10-2012, 02:43 PM
The mechanics of how we get there don't really matter Hon. Just so we do. At least some Orgs. pay attention to the finer sensibilities of others.:)

RADER
05-10-2012, 03:56 PM
That is great; I have had a Verizon Phone since forever, maybe 16+ years.
My first one was the old brick type, (Remember them?) In my area,
they have the best service.
You made me glad I have one.
Rader

Jackie Bee
05-11-2012, 01:44 AM
To Contessa.

"would make me unrecognizable" So nobody there ware makeup, dye there hair or ware wigs and have people who ware makeup day to day, have been told not to come without it.

It don't look like these people are being very friendly.

I never tell anyone what to do and what not to do but I will tell you Contessa bee prepared get informed, it sounds like a discriminatory practice that they are trying to force on you,

read latest EEOC ruling: http://tinyurl.com/d5e4sag (http://feminist.org/blog/index.php/2012/04/24/eeoc-ruling-protects-transgender-employees)

and http://tinyurl.com/7rzxvlz (http://tinyurl.com/7rzxvlz)

and talk to Lambda Legal (http://www.lambdalegal.org/states-regions/western-regional-office#quickset-regional_offices_information=4)

they take a week or two to respond with advice.

Also your state has a lot of recourse.

I don't know your status I always consider myself "just a strait crossdresser" but I believe now that I am transgendered and I express it by crossdressing.

Yes I'm transgendered and no longer strait I'm a lesbian.

The key is gender identity its not just physical. I'm just saying see what your options are Contessa as you have drawn the attention of somebody and you need to bee prepared .

Good luck girl.

Jackie Bee
05-11-2012, 02:08 AM
For Leslie

"I have no big desire to go to work every day dressed (for me its to much work) however If I did, it would offer a lot of opportunities to get out more. I get off work at 11pm and can get to the clubs by 11:30pm if I'm already dressed. Iv missed out on birthday party's, bands I wanted to see (hate going in drab)."

Thank you for your comments Leslie but to me this is not a big event. Yes I have euphoria, had it for 6 months it has to do withe the endorphin's (gender euphoria) that will not stop. I think this will bee fun and I will most-likely do it every Saturday so I get Sat night, all day Sun and all day Mon en femme. Iv had more fun in the past 6 months than the preceding 25 years and going to work don't even rate on the scale for me. Karaoke for the first time ever and en femme, now that was hard, exciting and a thrill.

Barbara Ella
05-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Wonderful for you Jackie, and wonderful to see more and more employers taking the high road, regardless of their actual motives. Make it work girl.

Barbara

sometimes_miss
05-11-2012, 09:49 PM
I can't help but wonder; seeing as what, one in forty men is a crossdresser; at least some CEO's and board chairmen have to be crossdressers too; so, are they the ones pushing the agenda for us at those companies? Hmmmmmm. Inquiring minds want to know.

Jackie Bee
05-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Verizon takes the high road ....

If I had to guess, would have to say I anticipated a lukewarm response to my going to work en femme. I was surprised, these people I have worked with for 7 years lining up to take pitchers. High fiveing me as I walked around the office and a very good response from the girls. Girls wanted to know much more about what I'm into, requesting makeup tips, hugging me. Very warm response. There were a few who were put out, well screw them, I was prepared for everyone to bee put out and that didn't happen. The anticipation is always fare worse or far better than the reality of the event. We will defiantly do this again.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-dhh4FI91lzQ/T7AB5TcK8WI/AAAAAAAAAeU/g8buL5D7MGE/s512/DSCN2265.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-AkVfJJVFJHQ/T7BNUvTGLzI/AAAAAAAAAek/0QBjD6w7Fkc/s512/DSCN2262.JPG

Beth Mays
05-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Would you like to come work for Big Brown?

Jackie Bee
05-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Big Brown, UPS ? I haven't considered a career change but if I do Ill certainly think of you Beth. We would have to do something about the uniform all brown is a little bland, going to have to get more color in there. Thank's

lowxr
05-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Good for Verizon, maybe others will follow.