PDA

View Full Version : Saving $$$ on Skirts

Redbird89
11-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Since I'm not rich, I can't afford to waste a lot of money on women's clothes, especially since I can't wear them to work or anywhere like that. So I went shopping at a local Goodwill store, and I was overwhelmed by the amount of women's clothes they have. I found a few skirts that looked like they would fit me, so I took them home, and none of them worked. So I took them back to Goodwill to get my money back, but rather than give refunds, they require you to get your refund through more merchandise. But I didn't want more of their merchandise, because it was all smelly and needed to be washed, and I just didn't feel like dealing with it. So I let them keep their skirts, and I chalked that up as a learning experience.

Then one morning, about a week ago, I was waiting to pick up a pair of glasses, so I walked into a local Catos store (junior, womens and womens plus clothes). Because it was early morning, no one else was in the store, so I went up to the manager and explained that I was looking for clothes for me, did she mind. She said not at all. In fact, she even let me use the dressing rooms to try stuff on. As it turns out, I didn't find exactly what I was looking for at the time (long full skirt), but I was really impressed with her and her store.

Yesterday, I went back to that store still looking for the long skirt, but then I noticed a sale rack that was full of skirts and stuff, and the one in the front was my size (16). And though it wasn't as long as I was originally seeking, it was incredibly nice and I knew that I had to have it. And then I found another and then another. In just a few minutes, I had found five different skirts of five different types, and they were all in my size. But not being rich, I decided to take them up to the sales counter and let her see how much my total would be, and maybe I would be able to get one or maybe two of them. But when she rang up all five skirts, she said that would be $14. For each? No, your total is $14. Wow! I was impressed big time. So I bought all five of them, took them home, and they all fit perfectly and I will probably keep all five of them, even though Catos would allow me to return them for a full refund if I so desire.

Moral of the story: Goodwill isn't always a Good Deal.

GypsyKaren
11-09-2005, 10:58 AM
I shop at Goodwill all the time and love it. They have dressing rooms there so you should have tried them on first. I bought a brand new black suede skirt there yesterday for $4, you can't beat that.

GypsyKaren

Billijo49504
11-09-2005, 11:14 AM
Goodwill is a hit with me too, the velvet dress I wore for halloween was only $12. And I tried it on at the store, no problems. Full doors, no curtails, and a good mirror in the fressing rooms. And the clothes were clean. JMHO

Wendy me
11-09-2005, 11:50 AM
sounds like a real good shopping trip i shop every were ......

Adrianne
11-09-2005, 12:33 PM
That is a great deal, i like the goodwill shops.

Paula Rae
11-09-2005, 01:28 PM
Hey Red Bird,

Not all Goodwill stores are the same, I've been to at least six here in the SF Bay Area, some are as you described and others are pretty nice. The same is true of the other thrift stores (Salvation Army) that I've been to. As you say, the best bargains I've found are on the "sale racks"

Ricki B

suegsusan
11-09-2005, 02:31 PM
My experience has been that Goodwill stores are just the greatest, There's always something different and I've found the sales staff to be always friendly. The one problem is that sizes aren't always marked. But you sure get good value for your money at Goodwill

Susan

Marla GG
11-09-2005, 03:31 PM
I buy clothes at Goodwill all the time -- for myself, for Angel, and sometimes for CD friends. I agree that you can get great bargains there, and many of the items are new or nearly new. Angel has never had a problem shopping in drab there and trying on skirts and dresses; the dressing rooms are unisex and usually unattended, and no one seems to care anyway.

I find the inventory is better at the shops that are located in wealthier neighborhoods, so I go out of my way to visit those.

KatieZ
11-09-2005, 10:04 PM
There's 6 Goodwill stores within an hour from me and I have tried on dressesand such in every one of them. They quite often give me a receipt and say "in case you need to return that........." I figure they must know it's for me,but didn't they see me slip into the dressing room? LOL

Hugs

Lauren_T
11-09-2005, 10:38 PM
We've got a lot of thrift shops here in Houston. Goodwill, Salvation Army, Sand Dollar, Value Village all have multiple stores, and they all launder and inspect the clothes before they're put out for sale...

Like Marla, I try to concentrate on the charity shops near where the rich live... and the bohos...

How else would I get a perfect BCBG MaxAzria gray silk skirt for $2 or a hyperfeminine black velvet DKNY dress for $1??? :)

Staci
12-09-2005, 11:51 PM
I love Goodwill. The one in our area is pretty new and very clean. I found a bridal petticoat there for only $10 and was virtually brand new. It looks great under my lilac prom dress. Never tried to return something so I do appreciate that bit of information.

_Janelle_
12-10-2005, 01:22 AM
I've returned stuff to the Goodwill and they happily gave me cash back - of course I paid in cash to begin with :)

Janelle

Faye Emmette
12-10-2005, 06:22 AM
If I can ever get back to Wisconsin for a holiday or long term visit, Goodwill is one of the first stops on my list.
But this time I'll be without a not understanding S.O.
I love it there.

Tiffy
12-10-2005, 10:01 AM
Goodwill Rocks!!!!!!11:o

April Marie

MsJanessa
12-10-2005, 10:18 AM
Some goodwill stores are really nice and others leave a lot to be disired---it depends on the store---your best bet for department type stores is TJ Maxx with Burlington Coat factory a close second---for Mail order nothing beats Newport News